PDA

View Full Version : What X15?

Big Star Lake
01-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Hello
I've been lurking on this site for over a year in search of the right Mastercraft and was hoping for guidance on purchase. I currently have a Searay 220 and want to upgrade to an X15. Ideally I would spend $50-$60k. Based upon current inventory would you rather have an 08/10 loaded w 100 hours or a brand new 11 with ONLY standard options? Both of these options are around $60k. Were there any major changes/issues with these years? The 11 would have an Ilmore. Anything else to consider? I would own this boat for 10+ years.

Thanks

c_craig
01-23-2013, 08:50 PM
We have an 08, and love it. We had only one issue the first hours of use, handled promptly by our dealer and MC. Lots of similar 08-10's on our lake. I don't hear a lot of problems. Watching the board lately, the newer boats sound like a lot of problems. Too many changes? Too many gadgets? I don't know, but my motor works, ballast works, controls work. We're at just under 400 hours. Boat feels solid like a rock. MCX has been great with plenty of power, lots of passengers and a ballast. X15 is great. Son is serious on the WB. We hydrofoil, ski, surf, and yes, drag an occasional tuber around if needed. Boat does it all.

GoneBoatN
01-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Hello
I've been lurking on this site for over a year in search of the right Mastercraft and was hoping for guidance on purchase. I currently have a Searay 220 and want to upgrade to an X15. Ideally I would spend $50-$60k. Based upon current inventory would you rather have an 08/10 loaded w 100 hours or a brand new 11 with ONLY standard options? Both of these options are around $60k. Were there any major changes/issues with these years? The 11 would have an Ilmore. Anything else to consider? I would own this boat for 10+ years.

Thanks

I have a 2010 with the 1st generation of BIG which works just fine. I too have the MCX. Very reliable and more than enough power for the X-15. Since you been lurking for the past year, you seen the comments about the 2012 electronic controls. I think you have to consider the "loaded" options and what they mean to you. If you are concerned about the "used" option you can go the extended warranty route on a 2010 for a few years of coverage.

Jonb1822
01-23-2013, 09:41 PM
The 11 will have the new carbon fiber upholstery.

Thrall
01-24-2013, 12:58 AM
Think about it this way. In 10 years a model yr or 2 newer or older won't matter on the value. It will be the hours and condition that determine it's value.
What do you want? Do the options mean something to you? If you buy the stripped down one will you spend thousands putting options on it? If so then go for the loaded boat. 100 hrs is nothing. If having the Ilmor and new vinyl is more important then get the 11.
When I bought the X2 I was looking at color, features, hours, condition and price. Model year was down on the list of concerns.

bikenskijerm
01-24-2013, 07:48 AM
I have a 2012 w/ 5.7 Ilmor and have only had one problem when new but was promptly taken care of. (When I put it on the lift it was purging all the water in the raw water intake and getting hot the next time I ran it). We don't have the pro pack and though a lot of people have had problems with the low end ballast system (forget the name) we have had 40 hours of trouble free use. The wake is steep and fantastic and the surf wave isnt bad when properly loaded. The boat also handles chop really well with all the yachts we have here on the TN River.

bjames
01-24-2013, 10:33 AM
I went from a 2012 fully loaded X25 to a 2009 Xstar and feel better. The 2008-2010 were very solid. Also keep in mind that most used boats qualify for an extended warranty. I getting a 3 year warranty for my 2009.

Also your initial investment will be much lower and still having a top end boat that is not much different from new.

rodltg2
01-24-2013, 10:44 AM
The 100 hour boat will most likely have all the bugs worked out.

bjames
01-24-2013, 10:56 AM
The 100 hour boat will most likely have all the bugs worked out.

Very good point... Fortunatly my 2009 was originally purchased from my dealer, so I was able to look at the service/warranty history.:)

willyt
01-24-2013, 11:23 AM
a big consideration is how you'll be using the boat. the 5.7 ilmore may be enough for surfing, recreational wakeboarding, and skiing, but if you'll be doing any footing, heavily ballasted wakeboarding, the 6.0 LY6 that the 2008 has will be really nice. also, i dont believe the 2011 has a trim tab, so porpoising may be an issue (or it may not be - i've never been on the water in a 15).

Justin D.
01-24-2013, 12:03 PM
I have a 2012 w/ 5.7 Ilmor and have only had one problem when new but was promptly taken care of. (When I put it on the lift it was purging all the water in the raw water intake and getting hot the next time I ran it). We don't have the pro pack and though a lot of people have had problems with the low end ballast system (forget the name) we have had 40 hours of trouble free use. The wake is steep and fantastic and the surf wave isnt bad when properly loaded. The boat also handles chop really well with all the yachts we have here on the TN River.

My 2012 x 15 with the 5.7 also purges its water on the trailer and gets hot the next time I use it. How did you resolve this issue?

PLR
01-24-2013, 01:04 PM
I have an 07 I'm willing to let go pretty decently priced. PM me, lets talk.

JohnE
01-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Links to the two boats?

I'd lean toward a loaded '08.

Aric'sX15
01-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Ive got a 2010, and if youre going to have it for 10 years i would recommend staying away from the boats with the BIG screens. no telling on how much that will cost when it breaks. X15 is a good solid boat, but with the surf tabs the wake surfing wake sucks. i dont surf anymore anyways. wakeboard wake with about 2500 pounds is just about as good as it gets.
Go with an 08. so you get the updated interior. im not really a fan of the 07 interior.

bikenskijerm
01-24-2013, 01:58 PM
My 2012 x 15 with the 5.7 also purges its water on the trailer and gets hot the next time I use it. How did you resolve this issue?

They replaced a portion of the raw water intake and it hasnt been a problem since.They told me this only affected a small number of boats and mine was built in Jan 12. My local dealer took care of the issue (it happened on our maiden voyage right after we took delivery but not on the test drive).

Justin D.
01-24-2013, 02:07 PM
They replaced a portion of the raw water intake and it hasnt been a problem since.They told me this only affected a small number of boats and mine was built in Jan 12. My local dealer took care of the issue (it happened on our maiden voyage right after we took delivery but not on the test drive).

Mine was also built in January.. Thanks for the help!

Big Star Lake
01-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Hello

Examples are below. I have not contacted either party. My goal is to buy a used, freshwater, ideally under 100 hours x15 for $50-$60k. I've located to the two different listings below and I wanted your thoughts on these boats. Why is the catch or options lacking on the new? Are there any specific years to stay away from? Are my goals realistic? any other guidance?Thank you

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=35162

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...ft-X-15-347178

jhall0711
01-24-2013, 10:33 PM
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/boa/3547961201.html

Came across this... Right up your alley....

willyt
01-24-2013, 11:32 PM
Wait...
LY6 in 08 had straight pipes without any muffler. That may be a dealbreaker.

dshockley
01-24-2013, 11:56 PM
Hello

Examples are below. I have not contacted either party. My goal is to buy a used, freshwater, ideally under 100 hours x15 for $50-$60k. I've located to the two different listings below and I wanted your thoughts on these boats. Why is the catch or options lacking on the new? Are there any specific years to stay away from? Are my goals realistic? any other guidance?Thank you

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=35162

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...ft-X-15-347178

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was in your exact same spot a few years back. My wife and I sold our 22ft Maxum open bow and immediately started the search for a Mastercraft. After researching night after night, talking with other owners, and water tests, I decided to buy our 2010 X15 last year (Aug '12) and have not looked back. In my opinion, the X15 is the best all around boat that MC made over the last several years.

As you'll note, the X15 inventory is slim online. I believe its due to many people buying and keeping the boat. If you do find an X15, it's usually gone fairly quickly. If you don't mind being patient, you'll be able to find the right boat. I'd suggest reaching out to the MC dealers in your surrounding states and letting them know you're looking for a late model X15. A lot of times, especially with MC, the boats get sold before they're even listed online. If you're on their list, you might get a shot at a boat before it's listed online and they get hounded. Other than that, watch all the sites [onlyinboards.com, this forum, and dealer websites)

When comparing options on different X15s, I decided that I wanted to purchase the boat with as many options as possible. The attitude adjustment plate (center plate used to help flatten the wake for better skiing) was important to me because my wife likes to ski. The one we bought also had surf tabs that (if you set the ballast correctly) really help the wake for surfing. The boat had the standard ballast set up for wake-boarding which works for me at my current skill level. The previous owner had upgraded the stereo system with additional subs and 4 tower speakers which makes a difference in music clarity when doing anything behind the boat. My X15 has the BIG system in addition to the standard gauges. Some believe this is a liability (because if it stops working no one knows what it's going to cost to replace or fix .. and they may be right) but I actually wanted the BIG screen. Now days, all the new boats are being made with the touch screens and full color controls. Like you, I plan on owning my boat for 10+ years, but IF I wanted or needed to sell, I believe the BIG system is an attractive selling point. Since all new boats / cars etc are being made with full color screen controls, people are going to want that option in a used / late model boat.

Decide what's important to you and decide what you're willing to give up if you find the right deal. If you have the time, you can add any option you want but the costs can add up quickly.

Either way, you can't go wrong with an X15. Just my opinion.

Welcome to the forum and good luck on the search! If you have other questions, post 'em up.

JohnE
01-25-2013, 07:49 AM
I'd buy the new boat looking at both the ads.

PLR
01-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Any update Big Star?

Big Star Lake
01-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Hello

I just put deposit on a brand new 11' X15 today. Pretty excited and looking for more guidance. Since this boat does not have tower speakers, amp, sub, power tower, tabs, or plate would you pay $2500 for service plan to extend warranty on motor/electronics? Given the lack of above options I'm leaning towards not. Any additional thoughts on fabric/gel cout/3M transom protector? I have until the boat delivers to make final call on these items.

I now need boards and other accessories. Do you guys buy via dealer, website, boat show? Thoughts?

Thanks for all the help and look forward to joining the club.

onewheat
01-29-2013, 08:21 PM
How long does that extend the warranty? It sounds really expensive to me. In 500+ hours and 6 seasons on my X-15, I've had to replace a fuel pump. That's it. I'd say no.

That being said, I'd shop around. I have bought all of our stuff from a mixture of boat shows, mail order and the dealer. I'm all about the deal.

Good luck with the boat - I'm sure you'll love it.

CottagerGreg
01-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Buy boards and such from buywake.com or wakeside.com etc. Had good luck with both

Get wet sounds for tower speakers along with amp and sub

KahunaCraft
01-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Congrats on your new boat and welcome to the family.

My opinion is that I don't buy extended warranties on anything. Boat shows have good deals on boards...

bcd
01-29-2013, 10:11 PM
Check out evo.com for gear. You can get good prices in their outlet section.

Aric'sX15
01-29-2013, 10:30 PM
GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!!
luckily i had mine.. ballast tank cracked last month. i would be paying that out of pocket. that itself would have payed for the extended warranty! fuel pump got replaced under it as well.

onewheat
01-29-2013, 11:30 PM
GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!!
luckily i had mine.. ballast tank cracked last month. i would be paying that out of pocket. that itself would have payed for the extended warranty! fuel pump got replaced under it as well.

Wouldn't a ballast tank on a 2010 be covered by regular warranty anyway, unless it was freeze damage of course? $2500 is a LOT of things to go wrong with a boat.

Still haven't heard how long it extends the coverage for?

GoneBoatN
01-30-2013, 12:35 AM
So I got the extended warranty when I bought the boat. The main reason being is that after three years I could decide to dump the boat and make it look more attractive to perspective buyers if it had 3 years warranty left. If I keep the boat, well who knows until I get to the end of the warranty as if I will recoup the cost. End shot was that for 6 years, it is nothing but gas, maintenance and insurance.

You said brand new 2011. Does that mean you get 3 year warranty from time of purchase?

Waffle on the price of the warranty and they may come down a few hundred but most likely not more that that.

As to if it is worth it or not, it's sort of like gambling. You are not going to know that until it pans out. There is still a lot of electronics and other stuff to go wrong - ECM, master control module, guages, fuel pump, wiring harness issues, etc.

So you mentioned no wake plate on the X-15. I feel the wake plate is a necessity on the X-15 and would highly recommend getting it added.

I get my wakeboard gear from my dealer but then again they have prices that are competitive with the online shops. Plus they offer a guarantee that if you don't like the equipment that you get a 100% credit to a replacement. Use google, you will find plenty of online shops to price compare against.

Aric'sX15
01-30-2013, 12:37 AM
Mine is 6 years I belive. I think it only comes with a one or two year from the factory. A fuel pump install with labor was 700 and change. They add up quickly. 2500 isn't that much honestly in terms of buying an 80k boat. It's added security in my eyes!
I can't wait to see how much it would have cost me to get the Boat pulled apart and put back together for the ballast tank. No money or of my pocket!

GoneBoatN
01-30-2013, 12:44 AM
a big consideration is how you'll be using the boat. the 5.7 ilmore may be enough for surfing, recreational wakeboarding, and skiing, but if you'll be doing any footing, heavily ballasted wakeboarding, the 6.0 LY6 that the 2008 has will be really nice. also, i dont believe the 2011 has a trim tab, so porpoising may be an issue (or it may not be - i've never been on the water in a 15).

Yes, the X-15 does have a little bit of a porpoising issue at a certain speed and depending upon how weight is distributed in the boat. The attitude adjustment plate is also useful to lower the bow if you are going to hit heavy chop. You can use it to lower the bow and split the chop taking less impact on the hull than if you hit it further back on the hull (when the bow is up higher) where the dead-rise angle of the hull is less. Since we don't water ski, it is the most common reason we use the attitude adjustment plate.

Someone coming from an I/O may not like the inability to adjust the bow rise without the attitude adjustment plate.

onewheat
01-30-2013, 01:46 AM
Mine is 6 years I belive. I think it only comes with a one or two year from the factory. A fuel pump install with labor was 700 and change. They add up quickly. 2500 isn't that much honestly in terms of buying an 80k boat. It's added security in my eyes!
I can't wait to see how much it would have cost me to get the Boat pulled apart and put back together for the ballast tank. No money or of my pocket!

$700 and change for a fuel pump? Did that come with lube? I realize that yours was warranty, but my FP assembly (complete, not just pump) was about $220 and it took me less than 30 minutes to install. Even if they gig you for an hour of labor at $100, that should still be $350 out the door. I need to open my own shop apparently.

Aric'sX15
01-30-2013, 02:27 AM
$700 and change for a fuel pump? Did that come with lube? I realize that yours was warranty, but my FP assembly (complete, not just pump) was about $220 and it took me less than 30 minutes to install. Even if they gig you for an hour of labor at $100, that should still be $350 out the door. I need to open my own shop apparently.

No idea what it came with, as it was all warranty work. just got the receipt for what it would have been.

KahunaCraft
01-30-2013, 04:22 AM
It is risk tolerance. For me, I haven't kept a boat for more than 3-4 years since I started boating. I could be a bad example/sample for you.

Also, I do plan on buying most of my boards at my dealer as the same return policy as the above exists. Takes the guess work out. If you know what you want, boat shows can have good deals. Use the online stores to price validate what your buying - and scoop up a deal as you find them. When shopping online, you probably know it, but beware of shipping charges.