PDA

View Full Version : Lifting boat 76 stars and stripes

76stars_and_stripes
09-13-2005, 02:37 PM
Hi,
I was wondering how to lift my 76 to make a repair. I found some damage (a crack in the gel coat) on the side that needs some attention, and it has to be off the trailer to fix. Any body got any ideas. Boat has no lift hooks.
Thanks

T Scott
09-13-2005, 03:22 PM
Sounds like you will need to lift it using a sling. It seems as if you will need to find a strong enough hoist, forklift, etc. to lift it up.

rodltg2
09-13-2005, 03:31 PM
by no means do i have any experience doing this , but what about using a forklift to raise the end you need to get.

Cloaked
09-13-2005, 10:06 PM
I once needed access to the underside. I built a simple block stand for each side, pulled the boat back onto the stand (with the front staying on the trailer) with a come-along and sling, then winched it back forward onto the trailer. :confused: :confused:

Worked for my needs.

76stars_and_stripes
09-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Is the bottom of these boats strong enough to lift the back up from the bottom side, flat across the bottom, like say a 2x4 or something across the bottom from side to side with a jack underneath? How much do these boats weigh?

Thrall
09-14-2005, 05:58 PM
I'd hazard to say that any flat hard lifting beam would not be good, as the boat is not completely flat and the load will be concentrated at the lowest point of the hull, even in back. 2x4 is way too light also.
If no lifting rings, you need 2 nylon slings. Jack the boat up enough to get the slings over the bunks and basket pick it with the lifting machine of your choice (forklift, crane, loader, 2 stout tree branches and comalongs!).

76stars_and_stripes
09-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Thanks,
Got 2 slings today, getting ready to try it out. Will let everybody know how it went. Hopefully I'll still have a boat at the end of the day.

PointTaken
09-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Good luck. Hope all goes well.

76stars_and_stripes
09-15-2005, 01:46 PM
Success!!
Thanks everybody for your input. Everything went perfect. Used a floor jack and a 4x4 to lift boat about 1/2 inch. Ran a lifting strap through, then hooked to the bucket on the back hoe. Made my repair, and it looks good as new. I'll try to get some pics of my boat on here as soon as I can.
Thanks

Cloaked
09-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Success!!
Thanks everybody for your input. Everything went perfect. Used a floor jack and a 4x4 to lift boat about 1/2 inch. Ran a lifting strap through, then hooked to the bucket on the back hoe. Made my repair, and it looks good as new. I'll try to get some pics of my boat on here as soon as I can.
Thanks
I want to see pics of the backhoe lifting the boat... :D

Glad you got it fixed with minimal efforts.

André
09-15-2005, 07:49 PM
I want to see pics of the backhoe lifting the boat... :D
What he said... :dance:

76stars_and_stripes
09-20-2005, 11:58 PM
Sorry guys, didn't take any pictures of that, but if I have to do it again, I will