PDA

View Full Version : New to Boating-Advice on 05 X-2

radchad3
01-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Hello everyone! I am new to the boating scene and would like some advice on a boat I would like to buy. First off, the boat would be for my wife and I. We would mainly be using it to wakeboard, a little skiing, and for general lake entertainment. Would be carrying 4-8 people. I have looked through the boat buying FAQ but wanted to get the forum's thoughts.

The boat is a 2005 X-2. Features include:

- 1 owner- no problems ever according to the owner
- 100 hrs on MCX motor
- Bimini Top
- Single axle trailer
- 2 tower speakers (unsure on brand)
- Teak platform
- Perfect pass
- No aftermarket parts that I know of
- All maintenance done.
- On a lift during the summer, in heated storage during the winter
- $37k

The story on the boat seems good but being new to boats I am a little hesitant to purchase a boat without getting it into the water (it is winter in this neck of the woods).

1. Is that asking price reasonable for this boat?
2. Is there anything I need to be looking for in this particular year/model?
3. Would you buy a boat without a test spin?

Any other thoughts?

Thank you all very much for the insight and am very excited to become part of the MC family, whether it be soon or down the road!

Chad

mikeg205
01-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Here read this thread chad...great write up by easttx. The only thing that needs adding is that for the first season you have to tow a fellow Team Talker at least 10 times. If this was Australia you would get towed 10 times :)

buying tips (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=257514&postcount=47)

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
01-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Based on my short price check $37k is average for that year and model, the early-mid models had issues with the vinyl splitting and I would not buy without a test drive.

example

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=35564
Changed url, sorry

sand2snow22
01-22-2013, 07:19 PM
Too much money for that boat, especially with single axle trailer.

Thrall
01-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Have the real engine hours checked off of the ecm. 100hrs for a midwest boat on a lift all summer for the last 7 years seems too low.
However, if it does have only 100hrs it should show. The boat should look like new everywhere, no wear and tear.
If it was super clean I wouldn't have a problem buying it without dropping it in the water provided you could run it, fill the ballast etc.
Fill all the ballast to make sure the pumps all work and no cacks in the tanks. Should be a port to fill from on the ballast manifold if it's the same as 06 models.
Run the engine up to temp.
05's have the new tower too, right? That's a bonus if you ahve to fold it up alot and they have swivel racks.
I think 05 was past the bad years for vinyl as well.
Price does seem a bit high for a mid winter deal, but 205V's are arguably MC's best do-it all hull and near the top as a wakeboat. They hold their value well.

radchad3
01-22-2013, 07:55 PM
mikeg205: Thanks for the link, I have read that and seems like very good advice!

j.mcc: thanks for the thoughts. That is my biggest sticking part right now....the lack of a test drive!

sand2snow: thank you, what would you consider a good price? I was thinking around $35?

Thrall: I will def be checking the hours as it is a chevy. Sounds like he sold his cabin 2.5 years ago so hasn't used it much at all since then. This may be a partial reason for the low hours. Would taking it to a MC dealer to have it checked out be a reasonable move? Probably the biggest thing is the lack of test driving. Seems some say a thorough run through is good enough, others say absolutely not without a test. Not sure what to do!

Other thoughts? Is the vinyl in 2005 past the problem years for sure?

vision
01-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Too much money for that boat, especially with single axle trailer.

Absolutely agree.

Arguably the best year for the 205V (newer tower and better materials on the dash than the 2006+ X1s). But significantly over priced at least for our area. My 2005 X2 was about that price brand new!

scharette
01-22-2013, 08:34 PM
mikeg205: Thanks for the link, I have read that and seems like very good advice!

j.mcc: thanks for the thoughts. That is my biggest sticking part right now....the lack of a test drive!

sand2snow: thank you, what would you consider a good price? I was thinking around $35?

Thrall: I will def be checking the hours as it is a chevy. Sounds like he sold his cabin 2.5 years ago so hasn't used it much at all since then. This may be a partial reason for the low hours. Would taking it to a MC dealer to have it checked out be a reasonable move? Probably the biggest thing is the lack of test driving. Seems some say a thorough run through is good enough, others say absolutely not without a test. Not sure what to do!

Other thoughts? Is the vinyl in 2005 past the problem years for sure?

Hello, i have a 2005 x2 and for sure its a super all around hull. On mine it had something like 700 hours when i purchased it . The vinyl on the engine hatch and on the front seat is cracked. also i had to replace 2 ballast pump and some impeller in the others pumps. other than that. no problem with the boat.. i paid a little less than 33k 3 years ago.

Last thing, make sure you inspect the brake and change the tires on the trailer. The brake on a boat trailer need a lot of love..

GoneBoatN
01-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Since it is winter, you should be able to find a boat mechanic to evaluate the condition for a reasonable price. Sometimes during the summer the boat mechanics are so busy it is hard to get the boat scheduled for evaluation in short order. Since you can not do a test drive, I would highly recommend it being evaluated by an mechanic independent of the deal. $35-37k is a lot of investment to be balking over $100-200. Maybe work it out with the owner as far as who eats the if repair costs are over a certain amount. Find out how much it will cost and if someone is available to do it.

So is the reason you can not do a test drive is that the water is actually frozen over or the air temps make it a concern that the block will freeze so fast you will not have the bit of time that it takes to winterize the boat to the point of freeze prevention? It takes less than an hour to winterize (dry block) an MCX and the couple other items (shower, heater) that may need taken care of immediately if they are even present in the boat. You are talking about a major investment... I agree with prior comment - test run is highly advisable. My :twocents:

radchad3
01-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Thanks Goneboat! I live a couple hours north of the seller and there is no open water here. I didn't specifically ask if the water was open down there. I guess I figured in Jan it would not be feasible to expect to get the boat out on the water. Assuming that I could get it out, and everything checked out, what is a reasonable price to pay for the boat?

What was the approximate cost of the boat new? Someone mentioned $37? If so, that means this guys is breaking almost even for 7 years of ownership....seems unrealistic to me.

bobx1
01-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Based on my short price check $37k is average for that year and model, the early-mid models had issues with the vinyl splitting and I would not buy without a test drive.

example

http://onlyinboards.com/Ski-Boat-Search.aspx?PageNum=2&PartMakers=true&YearFrom=2005&YearTo=2007&MakerName=2&Model=83&Drive=1

The 2005 X2 is actually the X1 (aka 205V, original XStar, then X2, then X1).

Boat is way over priced for our area.

monsterwake
01-22-2013, 10:03 PM
I just bought an 06 X1 in Dec with almost 300 hours at TX MC. It has the upgraded MCX engine with 350hp. Asking price was 32,500 but paid 28,500. I think I ended up with a decent deal, not a steal. I don't know if that helps you on your X2 but these are pretty close to the same boat. I love my X1 and I have only driven it 3 times. Ain't even road behind it but the wake looks pretty awesome with the ballast filled up.

radchad3
01-22-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks monsterwake, that gives me a little better idea. The link above is of the newer 2006 and up. They are $40K + so this comparison doesn't help much. NADA values the boat at around $33K but doesn't have a correction factor for hours. Not sure if NADA is a good pricing source or not. Other opinions about price etc are welcome!!!

mikeg205
01-22-2013, 10:22 PM
The question why the X2(not questioning the X2) - what are you looking for in a towboat?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
01-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Thanks monsterwake, that gives me a little better idea. The link above is of the newer 2006 and up. They are $40K + so this comparison doesn't help much. NADA values the boat at around $33K but doesn't have a correction factor for hours. Not sure if NADA is a good pricing source or not. Other opinions about price etc are welcome!!!

you can throw NADA out the window for inboard boats never accurate...

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
01-22-2013, 10:24 PM
The question why the X2(not questioning the X2) - what are you looking for in a towboat?

post #1 We would mainly be using it to wakeboard, a little skiing, and for general lake entertainment

radchad3
01-22-2013, 10:34 PM
Thank you both for the replies. I have been looking off and on for several months. I have generally found that MC and Malibu's are the top tier boats. I would also consider Axis as well as others. Bottom line is there aren't a ton of lakes around my area so used boats with low hours and a good story aren't a dime a dozen. This one seemed to fit the bill but the price and lack of test drive are the main obstacles from keeping this boat out of my garage.

brucemac
01-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Would agree that NADA isn't necessarily the best way to judge value, but would note that unless you're paying cash it's likley what your bank or credit union is going to use to place a value on it--mine did. Also important to note that NADA does not typically factor in trailer value. Price seems high to me unless it's immaculate and in perfect condition. Something I'd find hard to believe on 7 year old lake front lift boat. Would +1 the 3rd party mechanic inspection. A firm requirement in my opinion if you can't water test it.

mikeg205
01-22-2013, 11:50 PM
post #1 We would mainly be using it to wakeboard, a little skiing, and for general lake entertainment

I saw that...but a little skiing is all your going to get behind an X2. For general lake entertainment. If minimal skiing than the X2 should be a great....imho.

willyt
01-22-2013, 11:51 PM
Ahhh... The 205V.

I had an 05 x2. You should listen to vision, he buys & takes care of his boats (what your still doing on teamtalk I'm not sure of ;). )

Unless optioned like crazy 37 is way too much for an 05 X2. Great, fantastic hull, but too much money. Btw, the days your taking 8 out on the lake, that boat will get REALLY crowded... It's good up until about 6 total.

I almost view that low of hours as a negative... 100 hours? Common, I've put twice that on a boat in 1 season, not counting all the other days I was on friends boats. 12 hours a year isn't good for a boat... Maybe what, like 3 outings a year? I'd be looking at the seals and oil consumption, she hasn't been run enough.

Middle of last season the new owners of my old boat (originally visions boat) had 1200 hours and was running strong

Rossterman
01-23-2013, 12:58 AM
Faced the same situation when I bought my 2001 205v last year. Wanted to test drive but was priced too good that someone would have bought without putting it in the water if I didn't buy it on the spot. Put a deposit down and wrote bill of sale contingent on the inspection, and we both took it to a mastercraft dealer for what is called a transfer inspection. Cost me ~$220 but they did a very thorough checkout (including compression test, verifying hour meter matched the ecu, shaft was true, etc). They also require both parties authorization to release the boat so seller and buyer have piece of mind the deal won't turn dirty. Turned out only thing wrong was steering cable was getting tight so I popped to have them put in a new one rather than fixing it down the road. Ran great all summer and gave me a great comfort buying without a water test! Guy I bought from was great, easy to work with and had all the receipts, extra parts, etc (he was the original owner) which also added to my piece of mind.

Eagle
01-23-2013, 01:57 AM
I had an 05 X-2 that I bought new and traded it in two years ago for a new X-25. I loved that boat. It was my first MC and surpassed my expectations in all respects. I sold it with 650 hours. It was in excellent shape and well maintained, oil change every 50 hours, etc. I got $30k on the trade-in, which I thought was a good price for trade-in, and the dealer sold it quickly (for I think $35k). Mine had a lot more hours than the one you're looking at. And X-2's hold their value well, especially the 05, the best year for X-2's (new tower, drive by wire). But this was two years ago and I think $37k is a bit high in price, but not outrageously so. You will love the boat, assuming all is ok with it. It's a fairly small boat and it handles extremely well. It has a fantastic wakeboard wake, one of the better ski wakes for a V-drive, and a decent surf wake. It's one of the best hulls ever made.

radchad3
01-23-2013, 10:17 AM
I was wondering if the low hours would be a small negative as well. I know with newer cars, seals etc are better made than they used to and buying a 6 year old car with low miles doesn't bother me at all. In fact I bought a 2006 Corvette last May with 4700 miles on it and have not had a single problem with it. I am sure boats are a little different though.

NADA thing with the bank wont be an issue as I will offer the seller cash. I would like to test drive it but if not, the transfer inspection will be an absolute necessity.

People are all saying the boat is over priced but being new to the market I am having a hard time gauging a reasonable offer. $34-35 a good price? Lower? Going to the selling sites I don't see many 04-05 x-2's and the ones that are there have 300+ hours and going for $35 or more. Makes it seem like this one isn't priced too bad. With that being said, I certainly don't want to pay any more than I have to. Thoughts??

radchad3
01-23-2013, 10:32 AM
These are the boats I am coming up with in my search:

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=35564
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2005-Mastercraft-X2-270381
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/3517760662.html
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/boa/3486374868.html

ttu
01-23-2013, 10:43 AM
it the one you like in Kansas. if it is has he sent you any interior pics.

the one in okc needs new skins by looking at the pictures. you are correct there are not many 05's for sale.

radchad3
01-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Yes, the Kansas one is the boat I am interested in. I have not seen up close interior shots yet. I would have him send some before I made the trip down. He says they are in perfect condition.

Thrall
01-23-2013, 11:22 AM
That low of hrs could be a minor deterrant, but if it was maintained and stored properly it's really a non issue. If it was a '95 with 100hrs I'd say you run the risk of seals, etc being dried up, maybe developing leaks, but not an 05. Besides it's a Chevy 350 with a simple gear box. Not much to crap out on it other than the fuel pump which is a known problem and a cheap fix if your at all handy.
It would be very preferrable to water test, maybe a power plant lake that's open within driving distance, river?
Personally I'd use the no water test as a bargaining chip since if it's as pristine as it should be there won't be much to pick apart for hagling purposes. Just make sure you test everything, engine, ballast, put it in gear, etc. If at all worried it may have hit something, a quick check of the prop shaft with a dial indicator will tell you.
It's winter time, go for a great deal on it. If it doesn't pan out there will be 10x more boats for sale in a couple months.

Thrall
01-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Yes, the Kansas one is the boat I am interested in. I have not seen up close interior shots yet. I would have him send some before I made the trip down. He says they are in perfect condition.

If it's near KC I know there's an open lake around. A buddy bought a 'Bu mid winter over there a couple years ago. Lakes were frozen but he found a spot to run it by a power plant.

bobx1
01-23-2013, 05:53 PM
Thread Jack ON - does anyone get a little irritated when a guy is posting pictures of his boat that he is trying to sell and the boat is 5 years old (for example) but the pictures are clearly from the day he picked it up at the dealership 5 years ago? No license plate on the trailer? No registration numbers on the boat? Not a scratch or stain to be found? At least post some updated pictures if you expect a guy to drive a few hours (or fly) to take a look. Thread Jack OFF.

The Kansas boat looks MINT but I would ask for some updated pictures (like the end of last season). Also check to see what type of ballast are in the boat (if any) as sometime in 2005 or 2006, MC was advertising a stripped down boat with minimal features(no ballast, no racks, no tower speakers, etc.) for $39,999. I am NOT saying this is that boat (I dont think it is because it has racks on the tower) but I would get a full detailed list of exactly what is on the boat and post it up so people can comment.

If those pictures of the Kansas boat are from last season then that is tremendous as it looks mint. I still think a 2005 X2 well optioned in good shape should sell in the $28K-$32K range but maybe they have gone up in value.

ttu
01-23-2013, 06:05 PM
bobx1, that switch was in 06 when the newer pickle fork x2 came out. it was called a x1. i agree the boat looks clean just get some updated pictures.

i don't know about kansas laws but in oklahoma we do not tag boat trailers.

ttu
01-23-2013, 06:12 PM
also forgot to mention there are a few members here on teamtalk that live in the kansas city area that might be able to take a look at the x2 for you.

radchad3
01-23-2013, 06:17 PM
I will check on other features the boat has and post up. That would be great if a member lived close by and wanted to check it out! If someone is interested just send me a PM and we can work something out! In regards to price he seemed reluctant to move down much past $37 but money talks so if that time comes we will just have to see!

bobx1
01-23-2013, 06:21 PM
bobx1, that switch was in 06 when the newer pickle fork x2 came out. it was called a x1. i agree the boat looks clean just get some updated pictures.

i don't know about kansas laws but in oklahoma we do not tag boat trailers.

ttu:

My post #11 in the thread mentioned the 205V > XStar > X2 > X1 but I was thinking the stripped down version they offered (for only 1 year, I think) occurred either in 2005 (the X2) or 2006 (the X1). I remember the ad clear as day in my head as it was a yellow boat. I seem to remember my dealer telling me what it did not include but can't recall exactly what it was.

Good to know on the trailer tag...did not realize that.

ttu
01-23-2013, 06:30 PM
bobx1, i could be wrong but i am pretty sure it was 06. that was when they targeted the x1 as a price point boat:rolleyes:.. no swivel rack, no stereo and i am not sure about the ballast.

radchad, if you do a little research in the "search" area you can probably find some guys in the kc area.

i am betting that x2 came out of marine world in wichita.

last by looking at the pictures that owner has a nice spread!!!

bobx1
01-23-2013, 06:54 PM
ttu - I think you are right on the price point boat being 2006 X1.

Chad:

When I was shopping for my X1, these were the “typical” 2007 X1 (remember, the 2005 X2 is the 2006+ X1) options from dealers in my area. Maybe it will help when asking the guy questions and making your list of what it has.

RTP or MCX Engine (the boat you are considering has the MCX which is an extra $ option)

MasterCruise Speed Control or Perfect Pass (yours has PP and also extra $)

Clarion head unit w/ CD & MP3 adapter and drivers side remote

iPod interface

JL Audio cockpit speakers

Driver’s side Bolster Seat

(2) JL Audio Tower Speakers (extra add-on)

AMP (extra add on for tower speakers)

Two Rear Ballast Tanks (standard)

KGB Ballast (extra)

Swivel Board/Ski Racks (extra)

Tower mirror (extra)

Mastercraft Bimini Top (extra)

Towable Mastercraft Cover (extra)

Fiberglass or Teak swim platform

Single Axle Mastercraft trailer and Swing Away Trailer Tongue

Spare Tire (extra)

Heater (optional)

P.S. Other members don’t flame me if I left something off as these were the TYPICAL options in MY AREA for a 2007 X1.

radchad3
01-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Thanks Bobx1, that is a very nice list to go through with the owner! I will copy that down!

ttu
01-23-2013, 07:23 PM
bobx1, hope you didn't take my post as a flame to you..

sand2snow22
01-23-2013, 07:32 PM
Bob makes some great points. I would be pissed if I went to pick up the boat and it was oxidized, sun faded, etc. from being on a lift for 7 years. Get some updated pics, video, etc. Just sold a 2005 X-Star to Alberta Canada, buyer said send me 2 videos, one with it running, the other with the stereo blasting. Pretty easy to do on an iPhone. He wired the money the next day.....

Eagle
01-23-2013, 08:39 PM
If the pictures are current, then it sure looks like a beauty. Does it have the KGB center ballast? That was an option. I'd ask for a service history to make sure it was well maintained. What people ask for $-wise versus what they actually get are two different stories. You won't find many 05 X-2's, which I think is the most desirable year and model of the 205V hull, in cosmetic condition as that one appears. The two bargaining points to me would be single axle trailer, and the yellow color. Some will love yellow, some will not like it, and some don't care. It does narrow the market some which gives the buyer leverage.

bobx1
01-23-2013, 10:27 PM
bobx1, hope you didn't take my post as a flame to you..

Not at all TTU. That disclaimer was to cover my A$$ with the MCOCD crowd that will claim I left off the Transom Saver option on the teak platform. It is all good in the hood my friend.

ttu
01-24-2013, 12:32 PM
here is another 05 x2

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/boa/3566597741.html

neil.anderson63
01-24-2013, 02:03 PM
The yellow 05' X2 in OP Kansas - I know the guy who owns this boat. We considered buying it this summer. It is showroom condition, his price is firm and he is a total straight shooter. He brings his ATV's into my shop for repair - Dan is a maintenance freak - Always repairs everything, NEVER shortcuts. Even though the price is at the top of the range, we considered buying it - But I found a SWEET Loaded 07' X2 for the same money.

radchad3
01-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks TTU will look into that one! How long will the MCX motors last, hour wise?

Neil: Did you get a chance to test drive it? Any other details I should know about? Congrats on the '07! I hate to pay this much for an 05 when I can get an '07 for that kind of money!

monsterwake
01-24-2013, 08:04 PM
here is another 05 x2

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/boa/3566597741.html

I wonder what the difference is between this X2 and my 06 X1. The only thing my boat is missing is tower speakers. I know it was built as low budget but it has all I would think I need. Perfect Pass, Swivel Board Racks, Teak Platform, Clarion CD with JL 7.7" speakers and KGB ballast and 400# per side ballasts in the back with 3 pumps.

Thrall
01-25-2013, 01:00 AM
The yellow 05' X2 in OP Kansas - I know the guy who owns this boat. We considered buying it this summer. It is showroom condition, his price is firm and he is a total straight shooter. He brings his ATV's into my shop for repair - Dan is a maintenance freak - Always repairs everything, NEVER shortcuts. Even though the price is at the top of the range, we considered buying it - But I found a SWEET Loaded 07' X2 for the same money.

Well there's your local guy that's seen the boat. Go get it!
As far as a new style X2, you'll wait a while to find a nice low hr one for less than $40k if at all.
You could easily broaden your search by upping the acceptable hours. 100 hrs isn't even broke in. Engine and drive train are good for 1500-2000 hrs easy if taken care of.

dpolen
01-25-2013, 07:29 AM
Here's an '06 for $39.5 in KC, no affiliation, but in my opinion, if you're going to drop that much on a used boat, might was as well consider going for the newer body style.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=35858

JRW160
01-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Here's an '06 for $39.5 in KC, no affiliation, but in my opinion, if you're going to drop that much on a used boat, might was as well consider going for the newer body style.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=35858
The wakeboard wake on the 2003-2005 X2/X1/205V hull is far superior to that of the 2006+ X2. The newer X2's have a lot more room and other nice features, but if he is mainly using it for wakeboarding, I would not consider a newer X2.

neil.anderson63
01-25-2013, 01:39 PM
We didn't take it out. However, the thing looks like it was just delivered. If you go to his house (ESTATE) to check it out you'll understand why it's in like new shape. take a napkin to dap the drool off your chin.
Nice thing is that you have options - '05 X2 has some benefits over new body X2 and visa-versa. There are lots of boats for sale in our area. Weigh your options and pick what is best for you and the family. (We also have a 1st generation Xstar, same as 05 X2 and current X1)It's a fantastic boat as well. The 07 X2 has the extra room we needed up front. $39,500, 300 hours, maintained by our regular mechanic at Ski and Sports, so we had some benefit knowing mechanical history.

When you pick one out, we really LOVE the people at Ski and Sports in Shellknob, MO. They ROCK!! Go to their MC reunion in June. Last year 200+ boats and the MC tour stop same weekend.

neil.anderson63
01-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Rad... The one in Lee's Summit is worth looking at. It's a decent boat with 300+ hours. Lots of options with the right motor. I don't know much about the dealer, they are right off of the 435.

ttu
01-25-2013, 01:50 PM
neil, did you see where william bros is opening another location in Kimberling City?

that was a heck of a site seeing all those mc's coming into the cove where they held the wakeboard tourney!

neil.anderson63
01-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Yes, I saw the post yesterday - It was almost 150 boat floatilla from "The Knob" to K-City. (We used to ride around in a solid orange '05 X9). The tie up at the tourney was fun. Front row baby!!!
Thread jack!!!

wheelerd
01-26-2013, 01:54 AM
I picked up an '05 X2 locally this past fall for $34,500 CAN. That was a steal given the typical Canadian used prices which tend to be several thousand higher than the US.

It has 425 hrs, MCX, heater, shower, bimini, factory JL tower speakers and lights, dual axle trailer, KGB, PPass, upgraded Acme 1285 prop.

We bought it because of the cross-over capability -- legendary wakeboard wake while still being almost-competition-level skiable over 30mph. I have a Bennett wakeplate that I will be installing this spring to tune the slalom wake even more (and help with porpoising at higher speeds.)

sand2snow22
01-26-2013, 02:04 AM
(and help with porpoising at higher speeds.)

Doesn't have that problem unless you have too much weight in the back...

Cool that you are doing the trim tab tho. After you get to ski it, send me a PM and let me know what it does to your ski wake. Thanks.

wheelerd
01-26-2013, 02:20 AM
Doesn't have that problem unless you have too much weight in the back...

Cool that you are doing the trim tab tho. After you get to ski it, send me a PM and let me know what it does to your ski wake. Thanks.

We only had the boat on the water for a month before winterizing so my experience with the X2 is still growing. There were a couple of occasions when we did notice porpoising at 30+ mph -- once when I was skiing and the driver (my wife) just killed the throttle because she was scared. The only passengers were my two kids.

In reading up on the 205V/X2 here on TT there seems to be a consensus that the rear engine placement alters the weight distribution enough from the DD 205 to make the hull prone to porpoising in general. As you say, adding more weight to the stern would only compound it.

And yes, I'll be sure to report back on the results of the wakeplate install, hopefully with some pics too.

JRW160
01-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Mine seems to porpoise above 30mph. Filling the KGB ballast mostly eliminates it

sand2snow22
01-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Thankfully mine doesn't. Happened once after surfing and we had a lot of weight in the back and we were cruising home. My VTX porpoises with full ballast and full wedge and less than ideal water conditions...

brucemac
01-26-2013, 06:33 PM
would be curious to hear the results of the trim tab install as well wheeler.

radchad3
01-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Thank you all for the input, keep it coming.

Neil, you have a PM. Thanks!