PDA

View Full Version : Sea-Deck

drschemel
01-21-2013, 02:49 PM
I have had an unfortunate experience dealing with this company. I called to order a deck pad for my Tristar - per their website the price would be $240 for the deck plus $60 for the faux teak look, and $30 to have the mastercraft logo. Rather expensive I thought but there does not seem to be anybody else doing this work and it seems they have a premium product. Anyway, the sales associate told me I would get a mock-up in my e-mail after about a week when their designer had it drawn out and I could then approve the design and they would start the production. After about a week, I did get their design. I wanted a few small changes - different mastercraft logo and different size of the faux teak "planks". They did not ask details on the front end and I thought that I would work out the final design with the designer when I received the email. Their reply was that they needed another $75 to make any changes and when I pressed, they said the original price was only for what is on their web site and anything else is "custom". Of course, what is on their website is a plain mat so anything would be custom.
They wound not honor their original quote and I have cancelled my order because it had become just too expensive.
Bottom line, be very specific when you first talk to this company or you may get sticker shock when they add on extra charges once they think you are committed.:(

nickespi
01-21-2013, 02:54 PM
That sucks...

mikeg205
01-21-2013, 03:57 PM
how was the MC logo being applied sewn? embroidered?

Gofast
01-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Wow. I had a good experiance, but Ordered right off the menu. Finding pictures of what I wanted was difficult on thier website. Basically mine just copied what someone else ordered for the Maristar.

Not that it helps, but the final product does look great on the boat.

Rob

nickespi
01-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Pretty sure it's laser cut into the material.

Sodar
01-21-2013, 04:16 PM
That's too bad. I had a great experience with them. I did however get all the details worked out upfront and then they send me a quote once I was happy with what they had.

BigBarney
01-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Jim at Viper Customs works with Sea Deck material. He showed me a platform piece that he had cut and routed for a Malibu. May want to give him a call.

drschemel
01-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Thanks, I will do that. I do like the look, just cant justify over $400 for a swim deck pad. If it doesn't work out, I'll order material from Hydro-Turf and cut it our myself. It not like it is a hard shape or something. I will say Sea-Dek was prompt in their replies and i appreciated that, I just didn't like their answer!

02ProstarSammyD
01-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Thanks, I will do that. I do like the look, just cant justify over $400 for a swim deck pad. If it doesn't work out, I'll order material from Hydro-Turf and cut it our myself

I just got my hydroturf in the mail. I would suggest getting the diamond cut. I got the flat sheet and while its not slick it seems to scratch easier. I'll update though when I get mine redone

JRW160
01-22-2013, 10:35 AM
A friend of mine put some diamond cut hydroturf on his platform last year. It's really nice, and held up well last season. I don't think they offer the customization options that seadek does though.

02ProstarSammyD
01-22-2013, 11:29 AM
A friend of mine put some diamond cut hydroturf on his platform last year. It's really nice, and held up well last season. I don't think they offer the customization options that seadek does though.

They don't to my knowledge. Everyone I have talked to advised using the "b" stock diamond. They have it on clearance. The edges can be routed to have a custom appearance

http://hydroturf.com/products/Closeouts_and_Specials/Sheets_of_Turf

I went with the solid 2 color largeeee sheet. If I did the math right it has enough to do my trailer and swim platform in one sheet. Was 60 shipped. The stuff I got was thinner than expected but cushy. However as I said before I'm not sure about the solid vs textured for showing marks. Prob not a big deal but can update when I get it on the platform.

Jeffer
01-24-2013, 09:49 PM
I used Seadek, purchased their template, and had the whole thing custom, with no troubles at all working with them. They were knowledgable and didn't try to hide anything in the costs. Perhaps you were working with someone who didn't know what the heck they were doing. I had a thread on my 96 Prostar 190 refurb and included pictures of what I did in that thread. Was very happy. Sorry you did not fare so well...

drschemel
01-25-2013, 02:49 PM
I went ahead and ordered a sheet of the clearance HydroTurf dark grey with black grooves. It will be enough for 2 boats so if it works out, I will post pictures and offer the extra peice to someone else. By the way, the hydroturf with 3m selfstick adhesive was only $90 ($45 if I can sell the extra piece!) compared to over $400 for the sea-dek pad. Of course, I had to give up the "MasterCraft" logo in the center and the cool fake teak look.

russlars
01-25-2013, 03:10 PM
I also had a great experience working with Seadek. My first pad was returned slightly undersized and they quickly remade one to replace it. At that time they had some issues with shrinkage due to the heat process they were using. They make a great product but you pay for that quality.

drschemel
01-25-2013, 06:32 PM
The reputation was why I contacted them to start with. They have some awesome designs on their website. You certainly do pay for the quality. My MC is 9 years older than yours and the old girl just isn't that fancy anymore. Actually, my original pad is not in bad condition but looking a little tired. Anyway, she's getting her hull buffed out ($100 for polishing compound and buffer from Harber Freight), new hull stickers from Jim at BAWS ($200 I think, don't remember now), new seats from Viper (est $1800), and a cheap-o deck pad!

tr6coug
01-25-2013, 07:55 PM
I also had a bad experience with Seadek. Last spring I ordered a swim step pad for my X2 and got the gray faux-teak with MC logo. I ordered it based on the image on their web site. It arrives after 3 weeks and it has a cloud outline around the "MasterCraft". Not too bad looking, but certainly not what I ordered. So after no responses to emails, I finally call them and they refuse to take it back because the logo was "custom".

So, they tell me that they are not allowed to sell a MC logo without an outline around it, some BS about trade marks and MC. Finally I talk them into making me a new one at a discount without the loopy outline. Person on the phone says that "this is the last one we are making like this!" like I'm the bad guy for wanting the logo that they advertise. Here is what I ordered and what is still on their web site, the gray one with the loopy outline is what I got.

The thing is that the Brown one is still advertised on their web site! So be careful and make sure you know exactly what you are getting BEFORE they cut it.

BrooksfamX2
01-26-2013, 09:08 AM
................it has a cloud outline around the "MasterCraft". Not too bad looking, but certainly not what I ordered. ....................

I like clouds............. ;)

Like the feel of the Seadek material over the OEM.

neil.anderson63
01-26-2013, 09:50 AM
My experience with SeaDeck was top shelf - I ordered a snow camo deck pad with the MC logo. Little spendy, But it looks fantastic - shipped and priced as promised by Sea Deck.

Jeffer
04-02-2013, 01:31 AM
I don't know what the heck they are talking about on the logo - here's mine from my 96 Prostar, I bought from them in early 2012.

NO LOOPS!!

nickespi
04-02-2013, 01:36 AM
That's perfect!

homer12
04-02-2013, 08:20 AM
drschemel - I'm interested to know how that goes down on your Tristar deck. With the molded "grip" these fiberglass decks have, I have been nervous that pads wouldn't stick well to them since it's not a flat surface. Let me know how it works out for you...

mlawler34
04-02-2013, 08:33 AM
I just got my hydroturf in the mail. I would suggest getting the diamond cut. I got the flat sheet and while its not slick it seems to scratch easier. I'll update though when I get mine redone

I was thinking about ordering the hydroturf for my trailer. The only thing is i need two long strips for the fenders so I need to make sure the diamond cut would run the long way. Did yours run the long way or the short way? I know the sheets are rectangular in shape.

Sorry for the thread jack! Let us know how the Hydroturf works in your application. My buddy just had great results with it on his new standup.

tr6coug
04-02-2013, 01:35 PM
I don't know what the heck they are talking about on the logo - here's mine from my 96 Prostar, I bought from them in early 2012.

NO LOOPS!!

Very Nice!!!