PDA

View Full Version : Help and advice on new purchase of 96 Prostar 190

Juiced190
01-20-2013, 10:37 PM
MasterCraft team members I need advice and help. Recently purchased a 96 Prostar 190 (700 hrs). The boat has a few issues that need to be addressed and I'm hoping I can get some help and advice here getting her ready for spring. Like many of you my time and budget is limited, so I need to maximize both. The boat seems solid, test drove it for an hour or so before the purchase and the engine (350 tbfi) ran smooth and cranked right up after sitting unused for 12-16 months. The transmission (hurth 1:1) shifted smooth as well. All I've done to date is changed the oil, drained the water from the block, exhaust manifolds, added 5 gallons of rv antifreeze, and fogged the engine by pouring Marvel Mystery oil into the throttle body. The boat is usable as is but I want to improve the overall running and visual condition. The known needs at this time are seat bottoms will need new upholstery as well as the transom pad, shaft needs repacking, steering is tight, and the major issue is the hull needs gel coat work. The gel coat has no major cracks, gouges, or holes, but is very rough below the water line. It seems a previous owner used either a grinder or drill with a wire brush or something to remove dirt, mud, grime. Don't ask why or what happened because I simply can't explain it. The gel coat issue is where I need the most advice. I've read several threads on wet sanding and even hull damage repair but just not sure where to begin. The truth is I've never seen anything quite like it. Any and all positive help is encouraged and appreciated.

Juiced190
01-20-2013, 10:43 PM

Juiced190
01-20-2013, 10:57 PM

Juiced190
01-22-2013, 05:16 PM
Recent update. Apparently the boat had been sitting in dirty lake water that had created a stain, so the previous owner put 80 grit sandpaper on an orbital sander and went to work. As you can see there are many swirl marks and sum are deeper than others. I'm wondering if I should just begin wet sanding? Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Thanks

mikeg205
01-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Hit it again with the 80 grit in the low spots... fill in with new gel. Same thing where the gel is missing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWEE6SFUdpg great video is a great start. There are bunch videos on youtube.

BrianM
01-22-2013, 07:00 PM
Ouch. Might want to have a pro look at the bottom where the previous own went to town. That is not going to wet sand and buff out.

Juiced190
01-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Ouch. Might want to have a pro look at the bottom where the previous own went to town. That is not going to wet sand and buff out.

Cost is the main issue. I haven't taken it for an estimate but I'm guessing with all the labor involved it would be expensive. I have more time and the willingness to work and learn than I have extra cash.

Juiced190
01-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Has anyone ever re-gelcoated or paid to have their boat re-gelcoated? Here's an interesting and informative article I found.

http://www.bertram31.com/proj/tips/re-gelcoating.htm

mikeg205
01-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Has anyone ever re-gelcoated or paid to have their boat re-gelcoated? Here's an interesting and informative article I found.

http://www.bertram31.com/proj/tips/re-gelcoating.htm

Friend on Facebook has his re-gel - still sanding...but it looks out standing.

Juiced190
01-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Friend on Facebook has his re-gel - still sanding...but it looks out standing.

Thanks Mike,
He's doing it or paying to have it done? If he's doing it I'd like to know all about how he did it.

uplander
01-22-2013, 09:24 PM
that looks like beach/rock damage. up and down on the beach when the waves come in. To deep to sand out, I would bring to a local shop and have them look at it

Jerseydave
01-22-2013, 09:38 PM
that looks like beach/rock damage. up and down on the beach when the waves come in. To deep to sand out, I would bring to a local shop and have them look at it

Beach/rock damage seems logical. I had one similar deep gouge on the side of my 230VRS where another boat was rafted up to me and his tower rubbed my gel...bad. I never thought it could be repaired by wet sanding but my friend's shop fixed it by sanding. Not sure how long it took, but it came out like new.

Get an opinion from a good local boat shop and see what they say.

Juiced190
01-22-2013, 09:54 PM

The previous owner said it's from sanding and I believe it because the whole bottom, below the water line, is like that. It's not obvious from the photos but you can see the swirls especially at the bow.

Juiced190
02-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Still searching for help and advice. If anyone has any suggestions or can direct me to a past thread or another web source I would appreciate it very much.🚤

mikeg205
02-12-2013, 10:23 AM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=43762&highlight=gelcoat&page=3 - this is a nice before after.

It all depends on your budget and if you want the gel to match perfect or close to it. Shooting gel will always result in orange peel - then you need to go thru the whole sand, wet sand, buff process.

He was online send tommcat a PM he was online yesterday - he did a nice job on his.

mart_it
02-12-2013, 03:54 PM
My guess would be that previous owner used grinder rather than a polisher.
That boat is in rough shape overall! I hope you got a heck of a deal to have to go through all this.

bstewart0529
02-12-2013, 05:36 PM
I can tell you from just having to do a small portion of mine, this is not an easy task. For me the really eye opening thing was the hull was less then a quarter of an inch thick. So in my opinion you will have to re gel. here are a couple of picture of mine i just finished. The hardest parts were getting if off the trailer and sanding over my head for hours.