PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Options Discussion

devongall
01-19-2013, 08:13 PM
Longtime reader of the forum, the content on here was been awesome when it came to selecting our next boat - just bought a 2013 X-10. We do a lot of waterskiing and wake-surfing - cant wait to get the boat on the water.

Wanted to ask your opinions on the options I went with, there are still about 3 weeks until construction starts on the boat, so I've got some time to tweak changes. Would appreciate your input on any options you've specifically enjoyed and would definitely buy again.

Here's what I've got on there so far.
6.2l Engine
Pro Package
Fiberglass Swim Platform
Surf Tabs
Under tower boat cover
2 JL Can Speakers
Dome Light
Convertible Center Rear Seat
Transom Walk-thru
Proview Panoramic Mirror
Slalom Rack

Going to have the dealer install larger ballast sacs on delivery as well.

Seems the like the majority of the stuff I've left off the boat is in the audio department. How are people liking the basic audio package? Appreciate any input you guys have!

snork
01-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Very nicely equipped so far. What part of the country do you live and use your new boat?

KahunaCraft
01-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Nice choices. I'd add underwater lighting, heater and rear facing lights (dusk surfing) ...

If you live where you will winterized the boat, shower with hot water will be useful early season, cold mid season days and late season...

Finally, filler cushions.

Nick911
01-19-2013, 09:11 PM
If you are in a colder climate I would definitely recommend the heater, heated seats, and hot water shower. Underwater lights is a must as well, we do tons of surfing at night and it works awesome.

I would eliminate the Proview Mirror and get a PTM Edge mirror. The are unanimously awesome.

I think when you add the extra 2 tower speakers all they do is beef up one of the amps, otherwise, I think they are pretty standard. Make sure you speakers have forward facing lights. Some people who are really serious about their audio set up will scrap the factory stereo all together and go wet sounds, though ours with the 4 tower cans pounds good enough for us.

Let me know how your aftermarket sacs go. We are plumbing in some extra bags too on my X25.

One question: why the 6.2 in a X10? That's a 5K option you could spend somewheres else.

Nick911
01-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Oh yes, and post pics of your colours.

FourFourty
01-19-2013, 09:17 PM
I would ditch the tower speakers and go with wetsounds. They are much cheaper, and will sound as good, if not better. The MC speaker cans look great, but they are just too expensive!!

I would also skip the MC mirror, and get a PTM edge mirror.

Fender clips are a good idea, if you want a clean way to hang your bumpers.

Heater and hot water shower are both really nice for early and late season.

I was going to tell you that the 6.2l might be a bit overkill, until I saw the weight on the X10...... It will certainly have plenty of power, but the X10 is not as light as I thought.

If it was me, and I was trying to stick to the budget that you are at, I would swap for the 6.0l and add the fender clips, heater, and raw water shower.

Which tower did you get?? If you got the ZFT-5p, I would do the over-tower cover.

Nick911
01-19-2013, 09:19 PM
What are the fender clips? Do they replace the cleats?

KahunaCraft
01-19-2013, 09:34 PM
I think a heater is good just about anywhere...I forgot a few items...

In priority sequence.....Extra Battery Option, MidShip cleat, Heater, u/w Lights, hot shower and finally the other stuff. I'm not sold on the heated seats, but take Nick's opinion over mine as I haven't used them.

KahunaCraft
01-19-2013, 09:42 PM
The fender clips are pretty cool. They work slick and like the midship cleat, a better option done at the factory.

The picture doesn't show how it works...I gotta run, will post a better pic after, or search this forum for fender pop up cleats....I prefer the fender adjustment clips from taylormade, but that's cause I didn't get this option on my boat...

FourFourty
01-19-2013, 09:42 PM
What are the fender clips? Do they replace the cleats?

No, boat would still have tie down cleats. They are little push in clips to hold the fenders. New option for '13

http://cdn-7.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/captainsmarine/fender%20clips%201400.JPG

Also.... +1 on the mid ship cleat. That is a must.

Nick911
01-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Damn I wish I had ordered those fender cleats. They can be installed by the dealer?

Nick911
01-19-2013, 09:57 PM
I believe mid-ship clear is standard for 2013? Extra battery option? Isn't 2nd battery standard?

MASTIQUE
01-19-2013, 10:38 PM
The fender clips are awesome! I saw them at the ATL boat show. Very high quality and take the stress out of any raft up!!!

KahunaCraft
01-19-2013, 10:52 PM
Yes, i believe the dealer can install.

devongall
01-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far everyone! The mid-ship cleats seem pretty awesome, will definitely look into that with the dealer (hadn't heard of that option before).

The heater and hot shower options are interesting, honestly, before I went shopping, I had no idea such an option existed on a boat. Until now, being a little cold on the boat has been a right of passage - I guess I brushed that option aside as an un-needed excess. Thinking about it now though, I imagine they would probably be one of the most well used options - we're up in the Muskoka area of Canada, so it gets pretty cold other than 2-3 months of the year.

We don't do much dawn or dusk boating, so will probably leave the extended lighting options - although that underwater lighting looks awfully cool.

Have the ZFT4 tower with the Pro Package. Interesting recommendations about the mirror, I hadn't heard of the one you guys mentioned, will take a look at it.

Regarding the choice of the 6.2 - I had originally bumped in up to the 6.0, but ended up going to the 6.2 because of the weight difference (we do a fair bit of skiing), fuel efficiency and the nice-to-have power. I suppose I would have been fine in the 5.7, but liked the idea of going to some newer technology, and I didn't want to worry about power availability with some additional sacs in there. 4400lb boat with I'm eventually ~2,500lbs of balast and passengers seems like a lot of weight.

I went with a grey, navy and white color scheme. Interior and exterior photos attached from the online builder. I also attached two seat photos I found that I really liked and wanted to emulate.

Nick911
01-19-2013, 11:05 PM
You went with exactly same interior colors as me. Check out the X25 Build thread. If you are in Muskoka (spelling?) all the heated stuff is a must.

devongall
01-19-2013, 11:30 PM
You went with exactly same interior colors as me.

Wow, thanks for passing that along! Those build photos are awesome, going to have to reach out to them to request the same. Very glad to see the interior in a live photo, much better than the online builder - having seen your setup I feel much more confident in the choices. I'm not totally sold on the exterior yet, going to keep playing with it.

KahunaCraft
01-19-2013, 11:41 PM

I think that some options are one of three things:

1. Standard with 2013, IE zeroff with pro pkg, perhaps dual batteries (I'd double chk) so not listed on the build site. Mid ship cleats, again ask to be sure.

2. Discontinued. Tower cams are gone, but who knows they may come back.

3. The option is new or just doesn't get listed as it is low production order. The pin style fenders as an example. iPod video connector cable.

I spoke to an Ilmor rep at the Toronto boat show, she confirmed that variable valve timing on the 6.0 L gives it nearly identical power to the 6.2 up to about 4k rpms, after that the 6.2 lights up and outperforms the 6L. That is a repeat of what someone else said a month ago...i just happen to double check it.

There is no replacement for displacement. It's your money, your boat, you will save gas and you'll never second guess it after the fact.

Likely the fact that you're surfing that created the desire to bump up. Overkill, maybe...but I haven't compared them in the water - so my opinion is just from discussions and hearsay at best...

More empirical evidence ...Everyone person that posts anything about their 6.0 and 6.2 - has nothing but love for them. The folks with 6.2's are not posting "I'll get a 7.4 next time" and the folks with 6.0's don't seem to crave a 6.2... Some have bumped their 5.7 to a 6.0 in their 2013 upgrade.

Back to your upgrades - if you tube or ski (sorry for the hard cores that don't like those words so close together) a ski pylon would be advised.

KahunaCraft
01-19-2013, 11:52 PM
On the mirror, the factory doesn't install them. So work with buckeye, you might want the mirror that doesn't require drilling holes in the wind shield.

BTW: welcome to the family and congrats on your new boat.

Nick911
01-20-2013, 02:09 AM
Wow, thanks for passing that along! Those build photos are awesome, going to have to reach out to them to request the same. Very glad to see the interior in a live photo, much better than the online builder - having seen your setup I feel much more confident in the choices. I'm not totally sold on the exterior yet, going to keep playing with it.

If you aren't sold on your exterior yet, you can always some metal flake!

l

medicmoose
01-20-2013, 08:33 AM
My personal opinion...go with the teak platform. The platforms always get scratched and dinged...this is easily fixed on a teak platform.

+1 for ditching the factory tower speakers and amp configuration. Lots of aftermarket options that will sound better and for a more reasonable price!

MASTIQUE
01-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Don't forget the BTS windshield!!!

snork
01-20-2013, 10:33 AM
I think you and your friends will appreciate the hot water shower and heated seats
Put your money into the Wetsound Rev10's unless your dealer is costing out you some JL tower speakers.
Did you order a Bimini or something more costum?

CottagerGreg
01-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Teak is a must along with Canadian blue flake!

If you are on one of the bigger Muskoka lakes (joe, rosseau, muskoka, lk of bays) look into the factory gps as it has the Navionics maps.

Buckeye & Muskok boat gallery are top notch guys..

Let me if you have any specific questions.