PDA

View Full Version : Taking on water!!

Danimal
09-13-2005, 09:27 AM
I have searched for this and found a couple threads about it. My boat is taking on an inordinate amount of water. I have read that it could be the shaft packing. Put it this way... I have about 4 inches of water in my bilge overnight! I will be taking the boat out of the water for the season tonight. Anything else that I should look for? And can anyone give an explination on how to repack the shaft?

Thanks guys and gals!

PointTaken
09-13-2005, 10:19 AM
There are only a few holes in your boat that can be the problem. The packing is probably the best bet. Check that, the exhaust, intake, and hoses. Best to get a flashlight, and try to check while it is sitting in the water if you can.

I used to have an '89 red and white tristar 190. Its a nice boat.

bigmac
09-13-2005, 10:28 AM
I have searched for this and found a couple threads about it. My boat is taking on an inordinate amount of water. I have read that it could be the shaft packing. Put it this way... I have about 4 inches of water in my bilge overnight! I will be taking the boat out of the water for the season tonight. Anything else that I should look for? And can anyone give an explination on how to repack the shaft?

Thanks guys and gals!

I had that happen - being new to inboards, I assumed it was the shaft packing, but it turned out to be the rudder. When I pointed a flashlight in the bilge with the boat in the water, I could actually see water coming in. Dealer fixed it at the 10 hour check.

Danimal
09-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will check with a flashlight when I get home tonight. I know it's not the fresh water intake. I have watched that fitting and I have seen nothing. It is a possiblity that it could be a muffler. The boat has gotten a little louder these past couple of weeks. My only question is if it is a muffler, how could that cause the boat to fill up just sitting there? If indeed it is the rudder... what is the fix? Just tightening down the rudder plate? Also, since the boat will be out of the water I would still like to repack the shaft. Any pointers?

east tx skier
09-13-2005, 11:14 AM
If it's not the shaft or the rudder, I'd check the muffler. Happened on my father-in-law's boat. Pull up the floor behind the motorbox and check the mufflers for cracks, especially where they connect to the hoses. His boat would take on a ton of water until we fixed this.

gene dobies
09-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will check with a flashlight when I get home tonight. I know it's not the fresh water intake. I have watched that fitting and I have seen nothing. It is a possiblity that it could be a muffler. The boat has gotten a little louder these past couple of weeks. My only question is if it is a muffler, how could that cause the boat to fill up just sitting there? If indeed it is the rudder... what is the fix? Just tightening down the rudder plate? Also, since the boat will be out of the water I would still like to repack the shaft. Any pointers?

You should also check your mufflers with a flash light while in the water. I had a crack in one of mine and you could see it trickling in while the boat was in the water.

Danimal
09-13-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys... I will check all of these. Thanks for the great pointers! How much will new mufflers set me back? And will I still get the same rich sound? I like the sound of my boat and would hate to lose that rumble.

ski_king
09-13-2005, 12:00 PM
I had a simular problem once.
My mufflers are fiberglass. I patched them with fiberglass and they are holding up fine.
I think I did that repair close to 20 years ago.

east tx skier
09-13-2005, 12:23 PM
Yeah, my father-in-law just slapped some marine bondo over the crack, which was right at the lip that fits inside the exhaust hose (wasn't allowing a good seal and tightening it just made it worse). Hasn't leaked in the couple of years since the repair.

Danimal
09-13-2005, 12:31 PM
So the mufflers are encased in fiberglass?

ski_king
09-13-2005, 12:37 PM
So the mufflers are encased in fiberglass?
I believe they are all fiberglass (maybe some plastic)

They will be the second thing to melt if you run your boat with out a impeller.
Exaust hoses are first, engine is third.

RickDV
09-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Another thing to try, if you have the option, is to put the boat up on a lift or on your trailer when it has 4" of water in the bilge. Check the underside carefully to determine where the water is coming out. Keep in mind that if it is the packing, the water will probably be trickling down the length of the prop shaft.

Danimal
09-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Another thing to try, if you have the option, is to put the boat up on a lift or on your trailer when it has 4" of water in the bilge. Check the underside carefully to determine where the water is coming out. Keep in mind that if it is the packing, the water will probably be trickling down the length of the prop shaft.

Thanks Rick... I believe I will give that a try if I cannot diagnose the problem in the water.

RickDV
09-13-2005, 01:56 PM
...I will be taking the boat out of the water for the season tonight...

Whoah, I almost missed that line in the first reading! Way too early to be done for the season. Tell the wife you have to leave the boat in the water to properly diagnose this problem...could take a month yet. ;)

My son says skiing season runs until the boat is cutting through ice! :D

Danimal
09-13-2005, 02:05 PM
I may just leave it on the trailer. I share the pier with my neighbor and he is taking it out this weekend. It sucks but I don't have much control over it. Personally I feel that we are getting the best water right now. Minimal boat traffic so the lake is like butter.

erkoehler
09-13-2005, 02:15 PM
I may just leave it on the trailer. I share the pier with my neighbor and he is taking it out this weekend. It sucks but I don't have much control over it. Personally I feel that we are getting the best water right now. Minimal boat traffic so the lake is like butter.

Tell him you will get the pier out, and for him not to worry! Although, we have already closed up our lake houses for the summer in Northern WI, as it is starting to get chilly up there, and the seasons change quite rapidly.

Danimal
09-13-2005, 04:34 PM
No biggie... I'll just trailer it and drop it in when I need it. Plus, this will give me a chance to do some needed maint. on the boat before I put it away. I want to pull up the floor and clean out the bilge real good and tie up all the wires in the bilge. It appears as though it's been rewired but whoever did it wasn't very neat. Plus I have to install a new bilge pump, rewire dash, find the leak, new impeller give it a tune up, wash, wax, and buff the boat with a good rubbing compound to get the shine back, shampoo the carpets, blah, blah, blah... I really want to give it a good once over before I put it away so I don't have that much to do when I pull it out in the spring.

RickDV
09-13-2005, 05:18 PM
Geez, I'll drop mine off. You could take care of both of them while you're at it. ;)

PointTaken
09-13-2005, 05:18 PM
If you start this weekend on all that, you might just get it done before spring :) I may have missed this, but why are you re-wiring the dash?

Danimal
09-13-2005, 06:31 PM
If you start this weekend on all that, you might just get it done before spring :) I may have missed this, but why are you re-wiring the dash?

I don't know if I'm going to have to rewire the dash. I lost all my dash lights and my hour meter on Sunday. I just figured I would pull the dash and take a look at all the wiring. I really want to give the boat a real good once over before I put her away.

Geez, I'll drop mine off. You could take care of both of them while you're at it.

Have it to my house by 6pm today and I'll get started. If you can't get it here by then, I must decline. :D

J. Patterson
09-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Danimal---
Our Tristars have different hulls from the ProStars. The molded in platform we have makes the seam for the deck to hull drop right to the water line at the rear. I would check the silicone caulk line above and below the rub rail at the edge of the platform. It does ride above the waterline at rest, but not by much. Also. 4" of water at the low point of the hull near the pylon, is not really a lot, or does your hull fill enough that the water extends back to the rear of the boat? My shaft drips about once every 2 seconds. I just leave the auto bilge on-- it pumps out 2 or 3 times per night.

J. Patterson
Trussville , AL

Danimal
09-14-2005, 09:03 PM
Danimal---
Our Tristars have different hulls from the ProStars. The molded in platform we have makes the seam for the deck to hull drop right to the water line at the rear. I would check the silicone caulk line above and below the rub rail at the edge of the platform. It does ride above the waterline at rest, but not by much. Also. 4" of water at the low point of the hull near the pylon, is not really a lot, or does your hull fill enough that the water extends back to the rear of the boat? My shaft drips about once every 2 seconds. I just leave the auto bilge on-- it pumps out 2 or 3 times per night.

J. Patterson
Trussville , AL

The water in the bilge is to the back of the motor. I just took the floor up and filled the bilge with water. I layed under the boat and it was dripping froom the intake screen, not the shaft where I suspected. Upon closer examination, I am missing two screws in the fresh water intake plate under the hull. I noticed that there is silicone applied to the screw holes on the underside and also around the brass fitting the hose attaches to in the bilge. I think this might be my issue but I cannot confirm this as of yet. I will have to put her all back together and drop her in the water and watch to see if that is where it's coming from. J.P., thanks for the input. I will look at the seem also. Now.. how the he!! do I change the packing??? :D On the shaft I see a big brass nut and what appears to be a lock nut. Then there is a black "sleeve" (for lack of a better term) with two hose clamps on it. Is the rope packing inside the black sleeve? Another thing I noticed while looking at the shaft is where the shaft goes through the brass nut there is a gap on the bottom of the nut but not on the top... I guess what I'm trying to say is that it appears as though my shaft is going through the shaft at an angle. Not straight and true through the nut. Is this common or does my shaft need an alignment. I will try and take some pictures of it tomorrow.

Once again, thanks for everyone's help!

Laurel_Lake_Skier
09-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Now.. how the he!! do I change the packing???
Check out these two links.....I haven't tried the GFO packing but it sounds like it could be a nice upgrade from the wax rope.

http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products/gfopacking/packing.html

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/Casey/StuffingBox.htm

Danimal
09-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Check out these two links.....I haven't tried the GFO packing but it sounds like it could be a nice upgrade from the wax rope.

http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products/gfopacking/packing.html

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/Casey/StuffingBox.htm

Thanks for the links LLS :toast:That GFO is what Vince at skidim recomended.

SKI*MC
09-15-2005, 12:01 AM
you live in burlington and your taking the boat out for the yaer already!!!

Danimal
09-15-2005, 08:19 AM
you live in burlington and your taking the boat out for the yaer already!!!

See the previous posts. I share a pier with my neighbor and he is taking it out. I am just going to drop it in the water when I need it. PITA, but I can live with it. It gives me time to do the little things I haven't got to do when she was in the water.

wesgardner
09-15-2005, 09:47 AM
I haven't read the entire post but if you are re-bedding thru-hulls, if it were me I'd use 3-M 5200 on ALL underwater installs NOT sillycone

Another quick thought - you align the MOTOR to the SHAFT...

And yet another quick thought - on your stuffing box, it IS possible to get the thing TOO tight...just FYI

The black hose thing is kinda part of the stuffing box and you'll not get into trouble by describing it as such - there is nothing inside it - it is just the transition between the STERN TUBE and the STUFFING BOX. The stern tube is just a f/g tube permanently glassed into the hull - please don't try to remove it at this time :D ....

Make sure to dig all the old stuffing/packing out of the stuffing box - I use an old small straight-blade scredriver bent at a 90...

Wes

H20skeefreek
09-15-2005, 09:55 AM
never use 5200, always use 4200. 5200 is NON REMOVABLE. if you ever have to do the same job again, the 5200 will make it 50x more difficult. but Wes is right, NEVER EVER EVER USE SILLY-CONE below the water line.

wesgardner
09-15-2005, 10:02 AM
Hey H20,

Yes, I like my thru-hulls non-removable...typically...ha!!...I hear ya!

Wes