PDA

View Full Version : new distributor cap question

H20skeefreek
09-02-2004, 10:16 PM
this is the cap that is on my boat now. I need help identifying it. my supply catalogs don't show a picture. Autozone and Advance look at me like i'm an idiot. I need a new one, the insides are toast.

T Scott
09-02-2004, 10:26 PM
The Auto Zones, Pep Boys in my area have never had a problem matching up a distributor. They sometimes look at you like you're nuts when you tell them it is for a boat, but in my experience, they have been identical to the marine version. I went to the parts store to get a distributor for my 25 Baja Outlaw and they matched it up no problem. It was absolutely identical and cost me $14 bucks.
Make sure you don't use an Auto Zone starter or alternator as they could produce a spark hazard. Spend the extra money there. :twocents:

JimN
09-03-2004, 12:05 AM
It's not the cap and rotor that are different. It's the body that can sometimes have an opening where air/fuel mixed can get in and ignite under the right(or wrong) circumstances, causing an explosion when the bilge is full of combustible fumes.

tph
09-03-2004, 03:35 AM
Isn't it both the cap and body that are different for marine application. On my engine the distributor body has the mesh screen opening that you refer to and the cap has a rubber gasket.