PDA

View Full Version : Ski School Prep

98Prostar205
01-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Well, looks like I'm gonna be going to a ski school sometime late spring/early summer. I haven't finalized the dates yet, but I plan on going to Coble Ski School. I know several of you guys have been to ski schools so I need you to fill me in on what I need to take with me, what I need to do to prepare, what to expect, etc.

rodltg2
01-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Glove liners, and anything else to help your hands/blisters

east tx skier
01-18-2013, 04:51 PM
What Rod said. Lots of athletic woven tape. Tape your hands wrist over each finger to wrist, then wrap your wrist with tape. It will save your hands. If you don't regularly use liners, they might make matters worse. Make sure you have the right sized gloves as well. Most people order too large. Use the sizing chart in an Overtons catalog. If they are too big, they will move around and blisters will follow.

I have started using the palm pads. They help a lot.

Hold the handle in your fingertips, and enjoy yourself.

madcityskier
01-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Lot of crunches and squats. The back and legs tend to give out early if the hands hold up. I'd also say a great deal of openness to trying something new. If you go to a school for the first time, by the end of your visit you'll often find that your skiing is only peripherally related to what you were doing in the past.

46Chief
01-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Crossfit gym for cardio and power and lots of dead lifts to toughen up the hands.

98Prostar205
01-19-2013, 04:06 PM
I'm a 5x per week crossfitter for the past couple of year so I hope that will be enough to keep my cardio where it needs to be. Gonna focus on leg and lower back strength over the next few months. On the topic of hands, what type of gloves and liners do you guys recommend? East Tx, do you have a pic of the type of taping you are describing?

mikeg205
01-19-2013, 07:40 PM
Make sure you get lot's of sleep at night - but you know that from your cross fit. Besides hands - your groin and hammies are vulnerable. Due to the amount of skiing you will be doing make sure you don't get a fatigue injury - like flipping over the front of your ski when tired. Some lactose threshold training will be beneficial - working out at the 80-90% level of your max heart rate. Do this a few times a week thru hi intensity intervals. This will train your body to process and buffer lactic acid buildup.

If you're going to train hard at the school get a heart rate monitor, if you start working in your 90% and up range - not hard to do if your cross-fit training - you want to stay out of this range otherwise your fatigue and muscle pain will not cease between days.

Or you could blood dope ;) and where the best gloves you can afford :)

Michigan Tim
01-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Wow Mike. Are you getting him ready for ski school or to go off to combat :)
I learned the proper preparation from Dirk himself.....gin and tonic curls :)

mikeg205
01-19-2013, 10:46 PM
Wow Mike. Are you getting him ready for ski school or to go off to combat :)
I learned the proper preparation from Dirk himself.....gin and tonic curls :)

I like the couch curls... but I also remember not being able to walk 36 hours after 90 minutes with Dirk (I assume you mean pine lake).

I bicycle alot - my short ride is 30 miles... and I try do that in about 90 - 100 minutes.. I felt so lousy after my 90 minutes at Pine Lake and couldn't ride daily when I didn't ski - till I learned about that.

Michigan Tim
01-19-2013, 11:02 PM
I like the couch curls... but I also remember not being able to walk 36 hours after 90 minutes with Dirk (I assume you mean pine lake).

I bicycle alot - my short ride is 30 miles... and I try do that in about 90 - 100 minutes.. I felt so lousy after my 90 minutes at Pine Lake and couldn't ride daily when I didn't ski - till I learned about that.

Could there be any other Dirk! Guess the gin and tonics I was referring to we're the ones he an I shared while my kids were off on their sessions :rolleyes:
I was just giving you a hard time on the prep. Intense skiing definitely uses a combination of muscles that is hard to replicate via any other activity. If you have plans in the future to be at PLSS, let me know, as it would be great to meet. I'm only a mile from Dirk's place.

jkski
01-20-2013, 07:10 AM
If you have the opportunity to ski a few times before you go down to school it would be good. It seems no matter what amount of exercising you do before, the muscle combinations used in skiing always train best when skiing. I went after only having skied locally once and I know I would have gotten more out of it had I skied a few more times just to warm up and get back in the groove.
In addition to what others have suggested I will add that you should be ready to deal with a bad case of "spray leg" if you are a slalom guy. Typically at Coble you will ski 4 sets/day (6 passes each set) and I know my rear calf felt raw after the first day. Typically you have a chance to build up a tolerance to this over time but when faced with multiple set days, your calf bruising simply does not heal that quickly. Again, if you have the chance to ski locally before going you will likely build up the tolerance.
Have fun, Coble is a great place.

h2oskiluvr
01-20-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm a 5x per week crossfitter for the past couple of year so I hope that will be enough to keep my cardio where it needs to be. Gonna focus on leg and lower back strength over the next few months. On the topic of hands, what type of gloves and liners do you guys recommend? East Tx, do you have a pic of the type of taping you are describing?

I am a Clincher convert (technically Radar's version of the Clincher actually) and I have found these to be far less callous inducing. This might be an option to consider. Kevlar glove liners where helpful but I didn't like the extra layer in there as it made the glove tight and I felt my grip strength was decreased.

I have gone to five ski schools over the years and every time I went I had issues with my hands. They would be really tore up it affected my skiing by the end of the week.

I feel it because of the warm water, getting up at each end of the lake (twice if you fell) and pulling harder than you might normally do as you are excited about being there. It is really good to plan ahead and heed the advice of people who have been there before.

mikeg205
01-20-2013, 09:52 AM
Could there be any other Dirk! Guess the gin and tonics I was referring to we're the ones he an I shared while my kids were off on their sessions :rolleyes:
I was just giving you a hard time on the prep. Intense skiing definitely uses a combination of muscles that is hard to replicate via any other activity. If you have plans in the future to be at PLSS, let me know, as it would be great to meet. I'm only a mile from Dirk's place.

Thanks for the hard time... love taken a little jabbing about my extremeness...

A mile from dirk's place... you suck! ;) I mean that in the most MC-loving way - I am 5 hours away. I travel for my job and I get to Fenton and Ann Arbor...unfortunately the weather has been lousy my last couple of trips. I think Dirk and his team are great. I envy his job and his workplace... In my book he has the best job on the planet.. :)

When I went in 2010 - I did 90 minutes like I said...thought I was in great shape...no pain during the sessions...no pain next day. 2 days later I could barely walk and at that time I had a 1 mile walk from the chicago train station to my office. When I found out what causes it - I try to inform as many people I can.

I'll be heading down to Liquid Edge in Illinois to get more coaching - only 90 minutes away from my front door. I wish I was closer to Dirk to give him more business.

sk8salomon
01-21-2013, 06:25 AM
be willing to take a few steps backwards in order to make strides forwards. slowing boat speed and lengthening line to work on technique is an example. most importantly, have fun.

eficalibrator
01-21-2013, 09:49 AM
If you have plans in the future to be at PLSS, let me know, as it would be great to meet. I'm only a mile from Dirk's place.

Small world, guys. I've skied there with Dirk's crew a few times too and now have my own slip on Pine Lake since I moved. Contact me offline if you want to join us. I usually ski in the evenings when there's rarely much traffic on Pine Lake.

clrussell
10-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Ok guys, bringing a dead thread back. What's a guy need to do to get ready for wakeboard school? I'm headed down to the boarding school mid April 2014. I workout 5-6 days a week, I mostly lift and run/ swim a little. Anything y'all recommend that have been before? I feel I'm in pretty good shape but I know I'll be dead after boarding a few days straight so I'm just looking for input to make my experience as good as possible. Thanks in advance

mikeg205
10-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Ok guys, bringing a dead thread back. What's a guy need to do to get ready for wakeboard school? I'm headed down to the boarding school mid April 2014. I workout 5-6 days a week, I mostly lift and run/ swim a little. Anything y'all recommend that have been before? I feel I'm in pretty good shape but I know I'll be dead after boarding a few days straight so I'm just looking for input to make my experience as good as possible. Thanks in advance

work your core... get a ski handle and tie it to something so you can practice form and pull thru.. I am doing the same as the season winds down...

clrussell
10-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Thanks mike, I'll throw more core into the mix as Ive needed to anyway!

mikeg205
10-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks mike, I'll throw more core into the mix as Ive needed to anyway!

TX river rat has been critique me.. and get the handle to my hip and working on not bending at the waist really works the core. If I don't focus on perfect form I don't get sore after skiing.. focusing on doing it tight uses different muscle groups. if you got 5 - 6 days... take full advantage of it. :)

madcityskier
10-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Find a way to toughen up your hands. A friend of mine used to smack his palms with a hammer handle to toughen them up. Also, hold an icecube in your fist before and after runs. It'll help to minimize blisters in my experience, though I'm not sure why or how.

clrussell
10-07-2013, 06:37 AM
Thanks mad, my hands are pretty calloused from working all the time but I think think they still need some help.

Question about gloves, I never wear gloves, wether boarding, wrenching, or lifting I never have gloves? So would gloves help or hinder me at school?

mikeg205
10-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Thanks mad, my hands are pretty calloused from working all the time but I think think they still need some help.

Question about gloves, I never wear gloves, wether boarding, wrenching, or lifting I never have gloves? So would gloves help or hinder me at school?

I always ski with gloves... I believe they let me ski ski longer - I have the HO 41 Tails...

MUwaterski
10-09-2013, 12:19 AM
I think I'm actually going to be coaching at Coble this coming summer! I have some ski school experience (3 team trips to Bennett's). You're definitely going to want to bring/buy glove liners, Masterline makes a solid pair that retails for $9 I believe, best investment I've made to date. Your own equipment is optional, and if it's a travel hassle then I wouldn't bother with it, they provide whatever you will need! Then, just make sure you're in shape, because if you're going there after doing nothing all winter, you're going to be tired by day 3!

I personally know April and Chris, they run a fantastic operation out there and are wonderful people. You're sure to love Coble!!

Hope to see you there!

atihanyi
11-19-2013, 09:18 PM
we ski about six days a week and do a twice yearly trip down to liquid edge in illinios one is seven days long and the other usually four days . take a few days off before you go so your muscles can relax and make sure you stretch out before skiing . a rope tied to a post is great for some of this . keep in mind you will ski more than you normally do on any given day and take care of your hands . I use palm guards and swear by them . if you can use a go pro and tape your coaching sessions as you will probably be given a lot of info to process .don't expect to run a personal best as you will be changing a few things in your style and will have to adjust . in my experience if you leave with a couple of things to focus on in your course work and perfect them by the end of the season you are doing awesome. it has definitely been money well spent .

uplander
11-20-2013, 07:50 PM
might sound crazy but what about swinging a bat to toughen up your hands before a school. The first time my kids starts swinging he always get's blisters but during the season his hands are tough

mikeg205
11-20-2013, 11:59 PM
tie your handle to a post and practice form.. that will toughen your hands.... My handle attached to my weight machine...

gliff
12-10-2013, 12:45 AM
Sounds so great! I would like to own one.

clrussell
02-14-2014, 07:22 AM
Started crossfit Monday, I've been lifting for 3-4 years now. I must say crossfit is pretty Rough for someone like me that hated cardio. I finally completed my first workout of the day today. I think my legs will be prepped for April if I keep it up.

I must say, if you have a gym near by that has a rowing machine use it. I rowed 2000 meters today and it works your hands, legs, and shoulders good. I think it would help a lot on prepping for ski season or ski school

bcd
02-14-2014, 08:02 AM
Be careful with some of the crossfit workouts. They sometimes have you doing technical lifts that require good form for high repititions. As you fatigue, your form can suffer, leaving you at risk for injury. The good instructors really stress form, start with very low weight, and monitor your form as you progress up.

clrussell
02-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Be careful with some of the crossfit workouts. They sometimes have you doing technical lifts that require good form for high repititions. As you fatigue, your form can suffer, leaving you at risk for injury. The good instructors really stress form, start with very low weight, and monitor your form as you progress up.

That's how They have been teaching me, good form low weight to learn the technical lifts. Thanks though!

gliff
03-04-2014, 03:38 AM
How about Coble Ski School? What a school it is?

epnault
03-04-2014, 06:03 AM
Another kudos for cross fitness. There really isn't any new discoveries with these workouts but you have to work very hard and you will be in the best shape of your life. I have been doing this consistently the past 3 years. I never get tired on the water other than tired of my crappy skiing!! I am going to try lessons this year for the first time.

John Philip
03-09-2014, 09:15 PM
Many excellent options exist for your child’s college preparation. During your visit to campus we will not try to “sell” you on Proctor. Rather, we want to provide you an opportunity to gather the information you need to make the best decision for your family.

maryyy
03-14-2014, 02:39 AM
It will save your hands. If you don't regularly use liners, they might make matters worse. Make sure you have the right sized gloves as well. Most people order too large. Use the sizing chart in an Overtons catalog. If they are too big, they will move around and blisters will follow.