PDA

View Full Version : 2001 X30 wakesurf set up

mattl
01-17-2013, 11:03 PM
I just bought a 2001 X30. This is my first boat. What size bags should I use over my stock ballast to surf?

nickespi
01-18-2013, 08:06 AM
You'll want at least another 400lbs in the rear on your surf side and a couple hundred up front. Check out wakemakers.com

jafo9
01-24-2013, 09:49 AM
welcome to the forum. wakemakers is a good place to look. our current setup is (02 X30)

hard tanks removed
750# bags in each rear locker
stock banana bag in ski locker

each of these has its own pump but it feeds off the stock manifold.

it surf wake is ok. its nothing like some of these guys with newer 30's or 45's with tons of ballast. when my kids surf and i'm sitting in the rear corner seat their wave is much better than when i'm surfing and only my kids and wife are in the boat. my solution to this will be to replace the 750's with 1100's in each locker. i'd like some more weight up front, but that will probably have to wait till next year.

with the front and starboard bags full (we're all goofy), we'll set the PP to 10.5 for the kids and a little slower for adults.

also, if you are going to run big bags in the lockers, you will want to reinforce the dividers so they aren't being held tight against your exhaust.

bhanson
08-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Two things: one brute force, the other a more interesting work-in-progress

Brute Force: We have 1100# sacs in each locker, 900# sac on floor, stock tube sac in the floor, and a 540# sac up front. Fill the 1100# sac on surf side, and move the 540# sac to surf side front seat. We have the wakemakers x-link system so can switch sides in 5-10 minutes. The 900# sac sits on floor in front of the back seat, so really just makes a nice big sitting area. Bowfiller cushion makes it pretty easy to roll the 540# side-to-side.

Goofy wake is very good, regular wake is good, will never be as good as a deep-V hull.

More interesting work-in-progress: Malibu's surfgate is very interesting because it "yaws" the hull instead of just pushing down on a corner, so I am toying with a manual fin similar to all the threads on the malibu and centurion sites.

First attempt looked just like surfgate. I worked VERY well; no more 900# sac on the floor, replicated my goofy wake, and my regular wake was the best ever. Downside, there was a lot of drag so engine ran 500 RPMs faster than usual. In addition, the regular side wake required tons of oversteering, so had to physically hold the wheel in place.

Second attempt was very different. Instead of sticking out the side, the second fin was narrow and deep. Tried it yesterday for the first time and it is VERY promising. Wake looks very good on both sides, and much less drag so no more "steering issue" on the regular side. Have not surfed it yet, so idea if the wave has any push.

More info later, probably in a new thread.

uplander
08-01-2013, 11:59 PM
check your prop also, you may want to change pitch to avoid loading your motor. Call Eric at OJ props he can help you

I have a 900 in my corner locker (port side) you need to decide which side you want to surf on or change out both sides, bought from wakemakers (talk to Spencer), took 15 minutes to pull out old and put in new. One thing I would do is extend the hose to the new bag from your pump. It will reduce the kink in hose and allow for better water flow. Did this on vacation and improved my fill and empty time.

since you are going to order items you should also get new impellers (green) change them out on your pumps. Keep the old ones for spares if needed. wakemakers also

I spent some money on vacation for lessons with my kids and the instructor said my wake was very similar to the newer boats

I received a ton of help from the forum so trying to pay it back and help others, so if you need more info let me know I just did all of the items you are looking for

jj230
04-14-2014, 02:58 PM
bhanson,
I'm curious about your surfgate (delayed wave convergence) trial attempts. I have the same hull and would like to do something similar. I did not see a follow up thread. thanks