PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Hoses

clc900
01-17-2013, 02:28 PM
Doing some maintenance today and noticed one of my exhaust hoses is "wrinkled". This is the hose that connects the exhaust manifold to the muffler. One side is smooth and looks normal. The other side has a few wrinkles in it like it is somewhat collapsed. Possibly was a little too long and was installed with a little twist in it. Not sure if this description makes any sense??? Cant see what it would hurt (other than proper flow, if any) but the two hoses do not look the same so I thought I would ask.

Boat is a 2006 Maristar 200, 350 MCX, V Drive

Thanks!

mikeg205
01-17-2013, 03:28 PM
can you post a picture? could be time for a new hose...

clc900
01-17-2013, 07:21 PM
How is this?

Tristarboarder
01-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Looks fine to me, just a little out of shape. I would just keep an eye on it throughout the season, unless your OCD is kickin in and that is driving you crazy...

mikeg205
01-17-2013, 07:55 PM
I would replace - . 02.... short piece

GoneBoatN
01-17-2013, 08:39 PM
I would replace - . 02.... short piece

+1. That does NOT look normal!

Tristarboarder
01-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Looks fine as in not a serious potential problem, just warped hose. Ski Dim has hose by the foot for $17.99/ft for the 3", $19.99/ft for the 3.5" piece, or $22.99/ft for the 4". Actually an easy fix, might as well.

east tx skier
01-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Did you overheat at some point?

FrankSchwab
01-17-2013, 11:37 PM
Check your impeller - that hose looks like it got too hot, which would happen if the impeller was bad. If your impeller shredded at some point, the vanes may be blocking a water passage.

Try running the boat for 10 minutes or so, and checking the temperatures of the port and starboard exhaust hoses - they should be similar temps, and warm but not hot.

clc900
01-18-2013, 08:05 AM
I will plan on replacing it. I will run it this weekend and check the temperature of each side before I replace the hose. Once I get it off I will inspect the inside and try to see what caused it to warp.

Thanks guys!

GoneBoatN
01-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Did you overheat at some point?

That's what I was thinking. Is this boat "new to you"? If not, when did it get this way?

GoneBoatN
01-18-2013, 11:51 AM
I will plan on replacing it. I will run it this weekend and check the temperature of each side before I replace the hose. Once I get it off I will inspect the inside and try to see what caused it to warp.

Thanks guys!

I'm suspecting you are going to find the hose damaged inside. How does it compare to the other side in terms of softness and flexible?

93Prostar190
01-18-2013, 12:07 PM
I would replace ... and then keep checking the new one ... it warped ... maybe for age or bad material reasons ... but it also could have warped due to high heat ... if it warps a new hose then it means that you need to consider checking your manifold to make sure there is no restriction in water flow which would help offset the heat ....

Just my $0.02 ...... not overly serious but maybe a "clue" to something else going on ....

mikeg205
01-18-2013, 12:17 PM
I would replace ... and then keep checking the new one ... it warped ... maybe for age or bad material reasons ... but it also could have warped due to high heat ... if it warps a new hose then it means that you need to consider checking your manifold to make sure there is no restriction in water flow which would help offset the heat ....

Just my $0.02 ...... not overly serious but maybe a "clue" to something else going on ....

we need cloaked to post his picture again... ;)

93Prostar190
01-18-2013, 12:20 PM
we need cloaked to post his picture again... ;)

Which Pic?

thatsmrmastercraft
01-18-2013, 12:48 PM
I will jump on the bandwagon and say I would replace that hose. At least remove and inspect.

GoneBoatN
01-18-2013, 01:22 PM
I will jump on the bandwagon and say I would replace that hose. At least remove and inspect.

Makes me think we desperately need a bandwagon smiley in the Smiles. http://forums.explosm.net/images/smilies/emot-bandwagon.gif

thatsmrmastercraft
01-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Makes me think we desperately need a bandwagon smiley in the Smiles. http://forums.explosm.net/images/smilies/emot-bandwagon.gif

Very good idea.

clc900
01-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Boat is recently new to me. Hasn't had any other signs of an overheat. I will check into it more this weekend.

clc900
01-26-2013, 11:47 PM
Removed the hose today and this is what I found. The hose obviously restricted flow of the exhaust. The silencer shows some heat damage as well. Besides replacing the hose is there anything else that I should check out?

I'm not sure why the hose collapsed. Could be heat. Could be it was installed incorrectly? The hose is quite a bit longer than the other side. It's almost like the hose was kinked in to make it a bit shorter so it would fit better when it was installed.

Also, the path from the manifold to the silencer is a bit offset. It is not a straight path like the other side is. The exhaust manifold is offset to the outside of the silencer. Could this be why the outside of he silencer inlet shows heat damage?

Just thinking out loud here. Let me know if there is anything else I should do or check besides getting a new hose.

Thanks!

clc900
01-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Not sure how to post multiple pics in a post so here is the other pic. This shows the heat damage on the silencer inlet.

Cloaked
01-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Removed the hose today and this is what I found. The hose obviously restricted flow of the exhaust. The silencer shows some heat damage as well. Besides replacing the hose is there anything else that I should check out?

I'm not sure why the hose collapsed. Could be heat. Could be it was installed incorrectly? The hose is quite a bit longer than the other side. It's almost like the hose was kinked in to make it a bit shorter so it would fit better when it was installed.

Also, the path from the manifold to the silencer is a bit offset. It is not a straight path like the other side is. The exhaust manifold is offset to the outside of the silencer. Could this be why the outside of he silencer inlet shows heat damage?

Just thinking out loud here. Let me know if there is anything else I should do or check besides getting a new hose.

Thanks! There is a link in my signature line for a post with similar findings of interior degradation. I feel that you have found an issue that needed attention.

clc900
01-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Had the day off so I took the manifolds off to inspect. The manifold on the warped hose side checked out good. Needs cleaning up a bit before I put it back on but it looked good. Since I had one side off I decided to take the other side off. Inside looked good. Upon further inspection it looks like I have a hole in my manifold!!! ***!

Here is pic.

How do I fix it. What caused it? Anything else I should check while I have the manifolds off?