PDA

View Full Version : Dinner in Houston

hondaprlud
01-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Can someone recommend somewhere local for dinner? I'm flying in tomorrow and would like to avoid the national places if I can. We fly into IAH and are staying northwest of the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

east tx skier
01-15-2013, 09:15 PM
If you want to drive more toward the center of town, I can recommend a lot of places. I'm not terribly familiar with the northwest side. What are you looking to spend? What sort of food would you prefer? I grew up in Houston, went to law school there, and practices there for a few years before moving to the eastern block.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
01-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Mostly just chains out in the suburbs except for a few mom and pops. You will need to go downtown, galleria area, rice village west u or midtown for good non chain restaurants. What type of food do you fancy?

hondaprlud
01-15-2013, 09:48 PM
I didn't have anything in mind. I just didn't want to go to Applebee's or a local place that all the locals avoid. We'll have a rental car so going downtown might work. I'm staying off 290 near Cypress.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
01-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Based on where your staying, off 290, expect at least an hour drive if you intend to drive away from290 cypress area, Perrys steakhouse is about the best place out that way, Like I stated not a lot of fine dining out that way. Midtown, rice village west u to the Galleria Area is the place to go if you don't want a chain restaurant.

Ric
01-15-2013, 10:08 PM
There's a Texas BBQ place out on Hwy 290 @ Hwy 6 called Goode Co. BBQ. Good stuff in a cool place if you're looking for that kinda food. Not cheap for bbq, but damn good nonetheless.

Sam Houston Tollway N near the horse track is a place called the steamboat house that's a good steak and taste of Texas history all in one :D

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
01-15-2013, 10:27 PM
There's a Texas BBQ place out on Hwy 290 @ Hwy 6 called Goode Co. BBQ. Good stuff in a cool place if you're looking for that kinda food. Not cheap for bbq, but damn good nonetheless.

Sam Houston Tollway N near the horse track is a place called the steamboat house that's a good steak and taste of Texas history all in one :D

Both good places, I didn't know that goode company expanded out 290

Local places hwy 290 cypress-fairbanks
http://www.urbanspoon.com/m/n/8/cypress-fairbanks

east tx skier
01-15-2013, 11:04 PM
On the high end, Brennan's is my favorite. It burned during Ike if I recall, but it has been rebuilt. These are the cousins of the Brennan's in New Orleans, but totally different restaurant. On the less expensive end of the spectrum, I have never had a bad meal at Barnaby's. The one on Shepherd near West gray is the more upscale one. But they have opened a bunch of them all over Houston. Seriously, not a bad item on the menu. $10--15 per plate.

The steak at Churasco will melt in your mouth. Central American food.

hondaprlud
01-15-2013, 11:05 PM
Mostly looking for steak or American food place. But open to other suggestions.

east tx skier
01-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Papas Bros. Steakhouse on Westheimer outside the loop. The Papas are a Houston family (I grew up with a couple of them) and have opened a lot of restaurants. That steakhouse is supposed to be great. I still haven't found a better steak in Houston than the one at Churasco (Shepherd and Westheimer). But from what I understand, you can't go wrong with Papas Brothers Steakhouse.

MIskier
01-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Mostly looking for steak or American food place. But open to other suggestions.

One of the places that I always like to visit is a very nice bar/restaurant called the Flying Saucer on Main St.

hondaprlud
01-16-2013, 07:55 AM
Great. Thanks guys.

psychobilly
01-16-2013, 08:08 AM
Goode company gets a vote here, as well as Brennan's.

gts-20
01-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Goode company gets a vote here, as well as Brennan's.

Psychobilly grills a great steak dinner at his home! You may have to make reservations in advance though. lol!

aquaman
01-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Pappasitos has great Tex-Mex and is on 290/Frwy.

Goode Co is good too.

You will regret trying to drive downttown or the Galleria from where you are staying. :)

GoneBoatN
01-16-2013, 12:32 PM
For Tex-Mex I like Chuy's. It is reasonably priced and you will not walk away hungry. The location off 290 - http://www.chuys.com/#/regions. They have the Elvis Presley Memorial Special. If you finish it, you too can look like Elvis just before his death.

GoneBoatN
01-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Pappasitos has great Tex-Mex and is on 290/Frwy.

Goode Co is good too.

You will regret trying to drive downttown or the Galleria from where you are staying. :)

I've heard good thing about Pappasitos but have yet to been there. On my list for my trip to Houston at the end of Feb.

TayMC197
01-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Great. Thanks guys.

Go to Papas on the lake over at Lake Conroe and just get drunk...

east tx skier
01-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Ninfas on Navigation or Molinas for TX/MX Food. Molinas is my preference. Irma's is very good as well.

Rudyard's Pub on Waugh is a great English Pub dive.

ski_king
01-16-2013, 02:26 PM
I only ate there once, not counting layovers at the airport and I ate at Pappadeaux.
Only time I ever ate crawdads.

east tx skier
01-16-2013, 02:51 PM
I only ate there once, not counting layovers at the airport and I ate at Pappadeaux.
Only time I ever ate crawdads.

I had a very good piece of Halibut there once.

neil.anderson63
01-16-2013, 03:30 PM
BBQ - Rudy's, East ts skier is right on target with Papas Bros. Steakhouse if you want a great slab of cow!

psychobilly
01-16-2013, 10:12 PM
Psychobilly grills a great steak dinner at his home! You may have to make reservations in advance though. lol!

Hahahaha! They are MUCH TOO NICE!

hondaprlud
01-17-2013, 12:54 AM
We'll we landed about an hour ago instead of 5:00 like planned. (thanks Delta). So the Goode BBQ turned into fast food in the Detroit airport. At least the people we're meeting with said they're taking us to Pappasitos tomorrow, I was glad to see it get a mention on here.

psychobilly
01-17-2013, 07:23 AM
That ***, I fly quite a bit too and sometimes you really get fed up with these dang airlines....

Glad ya made it and enjoy your stay. If you get bored while you're here, there's a bass pro out in Katy, for all your outdoor fixes. ;-)

east tx skier
01-17-2013, 10:37 AM
We'll we landed about an hour ago instead of 5:00 like planned. (thanks Delta). So the Goode BBQ turned into fast food in the Detroit airport. At least the people we're meeting with said they're taking us to Pappasitos tomorrow, I was glad to see it get a mention on here.

Pappacitos is very good stuff. Enjoy.

aquaman
01-17-2013, 11:18 AM

Pappasitos gets my vote too.

Good ritas + fajitas. It is also Big food. Go hungry.

Welcome to Texas.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Pappasitos gets my vote too.

Good ritas + fajitas. It is also Big food. Go hungry.

Welcome to Texas.

Isn't everything Big in Texas?

aquaman
01-17-2013, 11:43 AM
That is true.....but we dont like to Brag........much. :)

east tx skier
01-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Isn't everything Big in Texas?

I only have anecdotal proof of this fact.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-17-2013, 12:33 PM
I only have anecdotal proof of this fact.

La la la la la la la la ......

bbymgr
01-17-2013, 05:40 PM

east tx skier
01-17-2013, 09:17 PM
Okay, I'll stop talking, but it was a safe assumption.

By the way, Berryhill Tamales in Houston is great.

TxsRiverRat
01-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Lmfao