PDA

View Full Version : Gas tax+boat

02ProstarSammyD
01-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Guys just wanted to remind some of you with the new year that many of you (especially nc guys) need to keep your reciepts for your boat gas this year. In NC your refund is roughly 34 cents a gallon. May not sound like much but if you burn gas like we do you could be due for a 300+ dollar refund at the end of the year. Thats pretty much your insurance bill for the year paid back by the state for tax usage you shouldn't be paying! d*** the man, save the empire. For state specific info check here

http://www.discoverboating.com/owning/fueltaxrefund.aspx

mikeg205
01-15-2013, 01:02 PM
lol...not surprised that Illinois is not on the list... more $$$ for this state to waste any way they want.

_fng_
01-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Has anyone done this before and had to show documentation for their number of gallons claimed?

For TX it states, "refund claims must be supported by fuel receipts containing the following information:
name and location of sellar
name of purchaser
type of fuel purchased
date of purchase
number of gallons purchased
price per gallon
amount of tax paid on fuel

That is a lot of information I don't have! I figure I'll try and see if they request documentation.

GoneBoatN
01-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Well, unfortunately I get screwed again in CA. At http://www.sco.ca.gov/ardtax_gastax_faq_gen.html#sect2671 under the Gas Tax Refund General FAQ it says:

Is a refund available for the tax paid on gasoline used in a vessel?

Refunds of the tax paid on gasoline are available if the vessel is used in the ocean beyond the three (3) mile limit. Refunds of the tax paid also are available if used in propelling a vessel operated by its owner on waters located on private property owned or controlled by the claimant.

I have my receipts from 2010. A log of good they are going to do me.

02ProstarSammyD
01-15-2013, 01:38 PM
^thats why I posted the reminder. We started saving receipts last year. Just wrote boat on them and stuffed them in the glovebox. Just in case

russlars
01-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Guys just wanted to remind some of you with the new year that many of you (especially nc guys) need to keep your reciepts for your boat gas this year. In NC your refund is roughly 34 cents a gallon. May not sound like much but if you burn gas like we do you could be due for a 300+ dollar refund at the end of the year. Thats pretty much your insurance bill for the year paid back by the state for tax usage you shouldn't be paying! d*** the man, save the empire. For state specific info check here

Thanks for the tip on this. Wish I would have known about it sooner since WA state has some of the highest gas tax in the nation! FYI fellow Washingtonians can obtain the form to submit with your fuel receipts at: www.dol.wa.gov/forms/442071.pdf
I'll definitely be saving all of those fuel receipts this year.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-15-2013, 03:14 PM
I wish Minnesota would have this credit. Might have to become a squeaky wheel.:rolleyes:

Double D
01-15-2013, 03:27 PM
OHIO is a No! Figures...

02ProstarSammyD
01-15-2013, 03:39 PM
I wish Minnesota would have this credit. Might have to become a squeaky wheel.

it only makes sense. not using the highway for this vehicle. If nothing else you pay more to tow than others

jgraham37128
01-15-2013, 03:40 PM
Why is some states on the list and some aren't?

thatsmrmastercraft
01-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Farmers have been doing this for a long time.

02ProstarSammyD
01-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Because only certain states have this on the books. To me I'd wager that the states that aren't have lower populations or lower taxes. NC is out of whack with gas. They throw this cookie out, no one takes advantage of it, and they win. Its very clever and actually fair. May the smart prosper

Snipe
01-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Here in Wisconsin we lose too. A break of some sort would not be turned down. If someone doesn't want to use it, don't apply.:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

pmkkdx
01-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Has anyone done this before and had to show documentation for their number of gallons claimed?

For TX it states, "refund claims must be supported by fuel receipts containing the following information:
name of purchaser
type of fuel purchased
date of purchase
price per gallon

That is a lot of information I don't have! I figure I'll try and see if they request documentation.

but appears to be $0.20 (20 cents) per gallon with only a 2% (or 2 cent?) hold back for filing. I have gone thru 30 gallons a day ($6 rebate minus hold back), so it could add up pretty quickly with our long boating season here in Texas.

pmkkdx
01-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Farmers have been doing this for a long time.

yep, what I was thinking ... but since my dad passed away ('04) I haven't tried to keep records of what goes into my tractors. But I guess you could also include lawnmowers, weedeaters, etc. along with tractor diesel, fuel for any UTV and boats ... man, that could add up to a considerable amount of fuel over a years time... I wonder about all the time I spend driving around in the pasture of the ranch, deer leases, etc. ... hmmmmm

GoneBoatN
01-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the tip on this. Wish I would have known about it sooner since WA state has some of the highest gas tax in the nation! FYI fellow Washingtonians can obtain the form to submit with your fuel receipts at: www.dol.wa.gov/forms/442071.pdf
I'll definitely be saving all of those fuel receipts this year.

See http://www.washingtongasprices.com/tax_info.aspx. Looks like CA is the winner again. :mad: Be sure to see the comments column for additional taxes added.

ahhudgins
01-15-2013, 06:43 PM
In VA, the governor has proposed eliminating the motor fuels tax and just increasing the general sales tax by something like 1/8%. Sounds great, but now all the tax revenue will go into the general fund and I’d be willing to bet that VDOT becomes under funded, so then they will have to add another tax down the road. Politics.

Edit: I didn't mean to say add another "tax". I should have said "increase revenues".

thatsmrmastercraft
01-15-2013, 08:29 PM
In VA, the governor has proposed eliminating the motor fuels tax and just increasing the general sales tax by something like 1/8%. Sounds great, but now all the tax revenue will go into the general fund and Id be willing to bet that VDOT becomes under funded, so then they will have to add another tax down the road. Politics.

Edit: I didn't mean to say add another "tax". I should have said "increase revenues".

Nice edit. :toast:

madcityskier
01-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Hey Snipe, where in Wisconsin are you? I've been hunting all over trying to find you.

nascar
01-16-2013, 05:31 AM
years ago I filed that in North Carolina , I can not remember the form number , you must itemized your taxes and yes keep all the receipts for the tax man . Averaged around a $200 tax deduction but with higher taxes now should be worth keeping up with if you do a good deal of boating .

TxsRiverRat
01-16-2013, 10:26 AM
With as much lake time as my boat has seen over the past 2 years, I may do this...

Question (or request)... Does anyone know how much per gallon the refund is in Texas?

I know they take off 2%, but I mean the gross amount.

Thanks guys

MC

02ProstarSammyD
01-16-2013, 10:30 AM
A person may claim a refund of the tax paid on gasoline or diesel fuel used off the highway as long as the request is postmarked no later than one year from the first day of the calendar month following the purchase or use of the fuel. The tax on gas and diesel is 20; the refund will factor in a 2% distributor's tax.

there ya go for texas

pmkkdx
01-16-2013, 10:44 AM
20 per gallon minus 2% distributor's tax (comes out to .004 or less than 1)... I know my lake time has drastically dropped off from years gone by, but even recreationally taking the boat out 3 times a month from May thru September for a long day could quickly add up. Hitting the lake every weekend and sometime during the week could pay back some of the other expenses nicely.

TxsRiverRat
01-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks you guys!

Cobra Rob
01-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Never knew about this.. I will be saving receipts for this year for sure.. Thanks

BallBushing
01-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the info.

Have never heard about this from anyone. In CT I'm looking at 25 cents/gal. Will start saving receipts from now on.

TxsRiverRat
08-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Hey Snipe, where in Wisconsin are you? I've been hunting all over trying to find you.

Was reviewing this thread... I've been saving my receipts - there's $100s worth of receipts accumulated... Does anyone file more than once? Or a single filing...?

Madcity - Good lord how did I miss that reply - thats effing funny!! http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

Kimper
08-01-2013, 11:49 AM

name of purchaser
type of fuel purchased
date of purchase
price per gallon

All that information is on your receipt if you pay with a credit card. I have been doing this for boat and jet skis for years in Texas. I just keep all the reciepts and write on the back "put in 5 gallon cans for use in boat" (for some reason their office wants this on there). Collect them all summer then mail it all off with the proper form to get your road tax money back! They will send you a check within a month or so.

TxsRiverRat
08-01-2013, 12:21 PM
AI just keep all the reciepts and write on the back "put in 5 gallon cans for use in boat" (for some reason their office wants this on there)

Interesting - so you did not tape the receipts to an 8x11 sheet of paper like I thought I'd do...?

Kimper
08-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Interesting - so you did not tape the receipts to an 8x11 sheet of paper like I thought I'd do...?

Haven't needed to do that in the past.

Phntmski
08-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Guys just wanted to remind some of you with the new year that many of you (especially nc guys) need to keep your reciepts for your boat gas this year. In NC your refund is roughly 34 cents a gallon.

We only get 20 cents/gal in TX. Last year my refund was $66 and some change. May not be much but it only took about 15 mins of my time and I still have more time than $!

east tx skier
08-01-2013, 05:21 PM

name of purchaser
type of fuel purchased
date of purchase
price per gallon

Just hang on to your receipts. I have done this for many years now. Typically, it's 5 lines of info on a one page form and wait for your check. They have "audited" me twice over the years. I send them my receipts and answered their questions (I save my answers and have reused them). The receipts don't show the tax on fuel paid, but I have always gotten a refund.

east tx skier
08-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Was reviewing this thread... I've been saving my receipts - there's $100s worth of receipts accumulated... Does anyone file more than once? Or a single filing...?

Madcity - Good lord how did I miss that reply - thats effing funny!! http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

Once per year is all you can do. Do not send receipts with the form. If they want them, they will ask for them. At that point, you send the originals and keep a copy for yourself. I have valid answers to all the questions if you ever need them. :)

orbeamlb
08-01-2013, 06:34 PM
We only get 20 cents/gal in TX. Last year my refund was $66 and some change. May not be much but it only took about 15 mins of my time and I still have more time than $!

$66 is better than $0. Anything we can get back is good.

wheeler
08-01-2013, 09:47 PM
When I click on the link provided it takes me to the home page. Where do you go from there to find out if your state has this refund tax? Or can anyone tell me if Arkansas is on the list. Thx

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
08-01-2013, 10:02 PM
When I click on the link provided it takes me to the home page. Where do you go from there to find out if your state has this refund tax? Or can anyone tell me if Arkansas is on the list. Thx

according to that website only these states have a fuel tax refund.

Alaska
California
Connecticut
Delaware
Massachusetts
Missouri
Nebraska
North Carolina
Texas
Virginia
Washington
Wyoming

Traxx822
08-02-2013, 12:12 PM
according to that website only these states have a fuel tax refund.

Alaska
California
Connecticut
Delaware
Massachusetts
Missouri
Nebraska
North Carolina
Texas
Virginia
Washington
Wyoming