PDA

View Full Version : ?? for Business travelers

6ballsisall
09-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Which hotel chain do you prefer to stay in when you travel on biz?

I am a Courtyard Marriot type of guy by choice. Last few trips I have been in Hiltons or right now a Hyatt Regency. Can't say I am impressed, I'm easy to please but when your paying $200 a night please don't charge me another $10 a day for wireless internet!!! :mad:

jclose8
09-12-2005, 11:16 PM
I like courtyards and Residence Inns. Right now I'm in a Sheraton, and they absolutely have the most comfortable beds and best pillows.
Free high speed internet is my one requirement.

LakePirate
09-12-2005, 11:21 PM
It is hard to beat a Marriott. I hate the pay for internet at the hotel. I mean how much is a lynksis router, a box of cat 5 and some wireless access points?

Hoff1
09-13-2005, 07:59 AM
Iíve stayed in Wingate several times which has about 9 hotels in their points program. The points accrue very quickly. Nice, clean and well suited for my needs. However, this particular hotel is only a couple of years old.

Courtyard is more common and usually is more well kept than Holiday Inns where my other points program is. The Hilton chain has Hampton Inn which is a cheaper option to keep the points on the same program. A lot of our travelers use them, and they are fairly nice as well.

T Scott
09-13-2005, 08:08 AM
Marriott all the way..... They are very consistent in their quality.

Danimal
09-13-2005, 08:30 AM
I too like Courtyard. I have given up on the Hyatt. Very over priced for what you get.

Ryan
09-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Courtyard mostly, company choice. I agree Hiltons and Hyatts are inconsitent in comfort etc... I really enjoyed the Embassy Suites in Rogers AR. If they are all like that, I'd love to switch.

How many of you have been stuck with the handicap room? I seem to have bad luck getting them. You know, open floor shower that lets water get all over the whole bathroom. With the flashing lights on the ceiling for the door and phone it seems like there should be a pole in the middle of the room.

erkoehler
09-13-2005, 12:23 PM
Courtyard mostly, company choice. I agree Hiltons and Hyatts are inconsitent in comfort etc... I really enjoyed the Embassy Suites in Rogers AR. If they are all like that, I'd love to switch.

How many of you have been stuck with the handicap room? I seem to have bad luck getting them. You know, open floor shower that lets water get all over the whole bathroom. With the flashing lights on the ceiling for the door and phone it seems like there should be a pole in the middle of the room.

Can't say I have ever experienced that before.

My dad worked for Marriot for 25+ years, so we can now stay free at them! :D :D

6ballsisall
09-13-2005, 08:40 PM
To Cleveland tomorrow. I cant wait to get back to my usual Courtyards. Way turned off by the Hyatt Regency in Columbus, OH. I have had a few decent Hampton Inns over the years but when push comes to shove I'll always go Courtyard, you can feel comfortable with what you get there.

ski_king
09-13-2005, 08:43 PM
Maybe we can get Courtyard by Marriot to be the official hotel of TeamTalk and we can get a nice discount.

6ballsisall
09-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Maybe we can get Courtyard by Marriot to be the official hotel of TeamTalk and we can get a nice discount.

Now your talkin!! Maybe that or double rewards points???

ski_king
09-13-2005, 08:45 PM
........or double rewards points???
Even better, the company pays for the room, I keep the reward points ;)

6ballsisall
09-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Even better, the company pays for the room, I keep the reward points ;)

We are on the same page Denny ;)

Ryan
09-13-2005, 10:24 PM
jrandol - were you at one of the Hyatt's downtown Columbus? I usually stay at the Courtyard at Easton.

ski36short
09-14-2005, 12:11 AM
How many of you have been stuck with the handicap room? I seem to have bad luck getting them.

I've gotten a couple of them - Residence Inn in Mesa, AZ, and I think another one that I can't exactly recall.

For hotel choice, I'm an Embassy Suites guy. Hot breakfast and free drinks is all it takes to make me happy. I stay at one in Denver a few times a year, not the nicest place around but close to our facility out there, easy to get downtown, and familiar bartenders. Almost my home away from home.

6ballsisall
09-14-2005, 08:42 AM
jrandol - were you at one of the Hyatt's downtown Columbus? I usually stay at the Courtyard at Easton.

Yes, stayed there as we had a tradeshow/convention going on at it. Won't make that mistake again.

ski_king
09-14-2005, 08:44 AM
Anybody here going to be at the trade show in Pittsburgh on Sept. 27 & 28?

6ballsisall
09-14-2005, 09:18 AM
Anybody here going to be at the trade show in Pittsburgh on Sept. 27 & 28?

What kinda show is it?

ski_king
09-14-2005, 09:28 AM
What kinda show is it?
Materials Science (http://www.matscitech.org/)

Leroy
09-14-2005, 09:52 AM
No chains in Grass Valley, but the Grass Valley Courtyard is nicer than any other hotel I've stayed out (been here >125 nights over the past two years). I also don't like Hilton and hyatt, always feel cheated there. Generally find a suite or courtyard at ~$100/night that is good.

Tom023
09-14-2005, 10:23 AM
Unless you get a newer property, seems to me Marriott has a lot of hotels that need to be updated. I started avoiding them about five years ago and now try to find the newest hotel regardless of chain. I elect to receive the airline miles instead of hotel points so frequency doesn't mean that much to me.

Ryan
09-14-2005, 10:29 AM
I love the new Courtyard commercial that shows what business hotel travel is really about - exhaustion, ironing clothes, reviewing material, making calls, checking email. The only things they missed are checking in with the spouse and checking up on TT.

shepherd
09-14-2005, 11:32 AM
Unless you get a newer property, seems to me Marriott has a lot of hotels that need to be updated. I started avoiding them about five years ago and now try to find the newest hotel regardless of chain. I elect to receive the airline miles instead of hotel points so frequency doesn't mean that much to me.

I agree with that. Courtyard is usually fairly nice, but we stayed in one in Orlando on I-Drive that was a real dump -- it seemed pretty old and abused by the millions of tourists who stayed there in the past. Newer is better. Residence Inn (another Marriott offering) is not fancy but pretty good. It's like a small apartment. I like having my own kitchen for long stays, and the one I stay at in Charlottesville, VA provides free breakfasts.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Stayed at Wingate's, Laquintas, Hamptons, Embassy suites, Hiltons, Hilton Garden Inns, Baymonts, Marriotts,

I have to say I would stay at a Hilton Garden Inn or Embassy Suites if they were all lined up in the same lot. But I can't be picky when we are on the road sometimes. Gotta love the evening drinks at the ES...

6ballsisall
09-14-2005, 12:43 PM
I have had great luck with Springhill suites which is somehow tied in with the Marriot business. I frequent one in Louisville a few times a month and it is great.

I'm not much of a drinker but could get use to the free cocktails at Embassy Suites in the evenings. The Courtyard I will be at tonight does that or at least did the last time I was there but that was at least 9months ago.