PDA

View Full Version : BoatUS Rate Increase

bturner2
01-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Well fellow boaters apparently BoatUS is going to be looking to get their money back quickly from the recent storms on the east coast. Just got my new insurance quote and the new rate is $127 more than last year. Now I do realize that they have to make up for the hurricane but I'm an inland lake guy. Not like they'll be making massive payouts to any of us. Anyone else get a renewal notice lately?

So I know there are other companies and there's been a lot of posts on insurance but has anyone else seen a renewal on them? If so did your premium go up by 20%? I may be over reacting here but dang I haven't even had a claim in 10 years..... :mad:

kskonn
01-14-2013, 06:18 PM
I use Boaters Insurance Inc. I just renewed and mine did not go up at all, renewed at the same rate.

Cobra Rob
01-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Just moved states so they had to draw a new policy waiting on the papers in the mail now to see the ripoff..

:(

mwg
01-14-2013, 07:21 PM
I use Boaters Insurance Inc. I just renewed and mine did not go up at all, renewed at the same rate.

+1.. Same here, no increase with my recent renewal

bturner2
01-15-2013, 08:43 AM
I just went on line and checked Ski Safe and they're $287 but the liability for bodily injury and property damage is $100K and I had $500k. I also put a request in for NBOA to see where they'll come in.

The thing I liked about BoatUS was the agreed on value of the boat. My AAA agent told me they didn't offer that kind of policy. My daughter recently totaled her car and the amount they offered her was very bad. I ended up fighting with the insurance company until they finally paid her a fair price. I hate to have to do that with the boat. Blue book values and MaterCrafts are typically out of whack. I can just imagine the battle I could have over the $30k they'd want to give me for my $40K boat.

kskonn
01-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Check with boater insurance inc. they do agreed upon value and are easy to do business with. It also appears that of the two people on this thread using them neither of us took an increase.

dvsone79
01-15-2013, 11:34 AM
I'm with Boaters Insurance as well, and mine gets renewed in March, so I guess I'll see. Nice to see it didn't go up for the other two.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-15-2013, 11:57 AM
I also have Boat US and have not seen a new rate yet.

BrianM
01-15-2013, 12:55 PM
My insurance has actually gone down a few bucks a year over the past few years with BoatUS. My policy renewed in October so we shall see what happens this next time around.

mikeg205
01-15-2013, 01:00 PM
More insurance rates will be hitting us on homeowners... Joplin, Sandy and the other winter storm is going to catch up with us...

JRW160
01-15-2013, 01:08 PM
I just got an email from boat US talking about the disasters that makes me think rates are going to go up for me as well.

bturner2
01-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Yep, that's how mine started. Got a letter telling me how well they did paying off all the claims for the hurricanes and an Obama like statement telling me about how we're all going to have to chip in to pay for it. A month later my renewal came and it was 25% more then the previous year. I started with then at $450 and 4 years later it's now jumped to $650. I'm sorry but I'm done.

I just got my quote back from Progressive on an agreed upon value $46K and the same coverage as my old BoatUS policy. My rate from them..... $297. I hate to do it but BoatUS even with my safe boater discount is $250 more. I'll be dropping them for my PWC come this fall too. I'm sorry but if you're on the East coast, moored in the ocean where you're subjected to hurricanes you should pay much higher rates. My boat sits on a lift or in covered storage at my house and we don't have yearly hurricanes to worry about. Sorry but my risk is much lower and I can't afford to pay for others risk any longer.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Looks like I ought to price Progressive before my renewal is due.

bturner2
01-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Ski Safe came in on their deluxe policy for $297 but it didn't state if was an agreed on price and only had $100K in liability. This one I had priced at $500K. I need to do some more checking. I would also like to hear what any one's experience with Progressive is. The only time I had to have a claim BoatUS was great. Take it where you want, get an estimate and we'll send them a check. Which is why I stayed with them. But now...... no way not for that kind a rip. I'll probably drop the BoatUS membership next year too which will save me an additional $50 a year.

Stritt
01-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Seems like you are experiencing what we have been going through since the hurricanes of 2004 here in Florida. It seems I have to change every 3 years. Just left AllState in October and went with Global. Our boat is in the garage, 18k agreed $500 + a year....No accident history. We do have a 12 month season though.....I have a feeling you will continue to see increases annually....unfortunately.

Cobra Rob
01-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Looks like I ought to price Progressive before my renewal is due.

Be careful with Progressive they do not cover a lot of boat specific things like BoatUs etc.. Fuel spil cleanup, dredging, all the crap you would have to deal with if you had a total loss sinkage..

thatsmrmastercraft
01-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Be careful with Progressive they do not cover a lot of boat specific things like BoatUs etc.. Fuel spil cleanup, dredging, all the crap you would have to deal with if you had a total loss sinkage..

Great point.....now that you mention it, I remember that from shopping for insurance when I got my boat in '08.

bturner2
01-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Looks like that's changed with their latest policies..... It was listed as a line item with a value of $500K. Now I actually submitted my request with NBOA (National Boat Owners Association) through a form which had you state what you wanted and for what values. They also asked who you were currently with and have to wonder if the policies they go after are based on that. Other line items on my quote were...

disappearing deductible
wreckage removal
marine electronics
Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability $500,000 combined single limit each accident
Liability To Others
Includes Fuel Spill Liability

There are also line items for uninsured boater $500K
Replacement Cost Person Effects $1000
Watercraft Towing $500/incident
Roadside assistance

Agreed value of $45K for boat/trailer with a $500 dedcutible

I can't see what's missing,if anything it looks like I'm getting more as I didn't have a rider for personal items with BoatUS. The only thing I see that I may want to change is the medical payments as it's currently at $5K/person. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

get_sum
01-16-2013, 07:26 PM
I use skisafe. Never had an issue but never had a claim either

JDC
01-16-2013, 08:15 PM
I use skisafe. Never had an issue but never had a claim either:D Insurance companies never have a problem taking your money. ;)

onewheat
01-17-2013, 08:59 PM
I can't see what's missing,if anything it looks like I'm getting more as I didn't have a rider for personal items with BoatUS. The only thing I see that I may want to change is the medical payments as it's currently at $5K/person. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

$5000 is medical is NOTHING. My ambulance ride was $1800 - they started and IV and took blood pressure. My son who rode along with us (they took his blood pressure and he sat in a seat) and went to the same hospital, was an additional $850. $5k would go really quickly.

wtrjock
02-06-2013, 02:26 PM
I have Allstate for around $440/yr on a 2005 X10. Make sure you check about OEM parts. Most companies have terms that allows them to use USED or Reproduction parts. If the Repo part is not available and they have to use New OEM, they charge you the difference. My Allstate policy was a little extra to make sure they always use New OEM parts.

JRW160
03-01-2013, 11:20 AM
My Boat US rate went up almost 25%. I have my home and auto through allstate, so I got a quote from them. I got a quote for agreed hull value instead of actual value, and their rate was still $100 cheaper than the new Boat US rate. Looks like I'll be switching to allstate

Thrall
03-01-2013, 11:46 AM

I'll have to check my Progressive policy, thanks for the heads up.
Never had a boat claim and only minor auto claims with Progressive, which they handled promptly and very fairly. I guess what really matters is how they cover the "big one" when it happens, but I and others I know have been hosed by the top tier carriers, so no reason to trust Progressive any less then State Farm, Allstate, Auto Owners or AAA Chicago Motor Club........yet.
When I first got my X2 policy from Progressive, still had my 190 insured, they wouldn't give me the agreed value that I wanted. After a call back with a little more info for an agent who was not familiar with MC wakeboats, I got an agreed value that I would have no trouble replacing everything with.
My policy doesn't renew until Aug I think, so not dure if there's a premium increase with them.

JRW160
03-01-2013, 02:25 PM
When I got the actual quote from allstate, it was higher than they stated over the phone. I checked with global marine and they were higher than Boat US. I got Boat US to up my deductibles and that dropped my rate 10% or so. I guess I'm going to stick with Boat US this year.

bturner2
03-02-2013, 02:09 PM
NBOA uses like 4 companies. I went with progressive for an agreed on value policy and OEM parts. Was a bit higher but still close to $200 less than BOATUS.

mccobmd
03-02-2013, 10:01 PM
My progessive policy with no changes on a 2006 X1 was 285 last year, 282 this year