PDA

View Full Version : Five Guys....

milkmania
01-13-2013, 07:03 PM
was determined to try our new Five Guys restaurant today......
2 cheeseburgers
1 large fry
1 unsweet tea
1 sweet tea______
USD $24.15 :eek3:

son and I hated the atmosphere, and the ordering and pick up process had no smooth flow.... pallets of 50# bags of potatoes everywhere.... just weird

thatsmrmastercraft
01-13-2013, 07:25 PM
That's a disappointing trip. Had always heard good things about them.

CantRepeat
01-13-2013, 07:31 PM
We liked the burgers but the fries were nothing to write home about.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
01-13-2013, 07:41 PM
We recently got those five guys down here and I agree they are over priced for the quality of food. don't get me wrong they were definatly better than your typical fast food franchise just over priced...

FrankSchwab
01-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Never did much for me, either. Mid-level burgers in a weird environment.

Always was an In-N-Out guy, myself.

/frank

ricford
01-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Gotta disagree. Yea, it's too expensive for every day, but I grow tired of the frozen patty. Quality burgers, lots of great toppings, and tons of fresh cut, never frozen fries.

Iskidaily
01-13-2013, 08:47 PM
We've had Five Guys for a while and I like it, but nothing special. Went to Burgerfi the other day - really good

Tristarboarder
01-13-2013, 08:48 PM
I just tried it for the first time about 2 weeks ago in WA state, and I thought it was tasty. The Cajun style fries were good too.....As far as your experience, anytime a new restaurant opens up, it always is a cluster and it takes a while for them to work out the bugs etc. Try it again in a month or two and I bet you have a better experience...

Rockman
01-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Yes, my wife and I ate there with our kids (3 and 6) and the bill was over 40 bucks for 2 burger, 2 hot dogs, 2 fries, 2 large drinks and 2 children's drinks...biggest rip ever. :rant:

Will never sgo back.

And the food tasted like it was cooked on a dirty grill...:noface:

fskof
01-13-2013, 09:10 PM
I went to the one by me and wasnt blown away. I came to realize that for the best burgers you need to go to your local Ma and Pop bar, grill, or burger joint. Every town has them. Its time to start supporting them and stop wasting money at these franchises.

46Chief
01-14-2013, 12:33 AM
I live in a college town that may have the worst food in the country, nothing but typical frozen off the truck franchise food. There isn't a great burger to be had in this town, when I finally decided to stop shunning the franchise I found 5guys to be the best available burger in town, I don't eat alot of fries so I never order them, but still sucks I can't walk outta that place w/o dropping 10 bucks for a burger and an ice tea.

There was one good place for a while, a bar with a seasoned grill and the old guy had no credit with the distributers, so he bought his meat from the grocery store daily, unfortunately I couldn't consume enough burgers and beer to support him.

onewheat
01-14-2013, 01:34 AM
I have a friend that raises beef - if I want a good burger, I thaw out some of the beef I get from him and fire up my own grill. Always better than any restaurant burger and WAY cheaper.

lukedeuce
01-14-2013, 09:28 AM
fortunately we have zombie burger that is close.....since he is a customef of mine, I also get pretty good deals. everything is fresh and local when available. they cut their own fries and make their own burger. check out the menu below, heart attack heaven

http://www.zombieburgerdm.com

smash burger is also pretty good.

mikeg205
01-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Yes, my wife and I ate there with our kids (3 and 6) and the bill was over 40 bucks for 2 burger, 2 hot dogs, 2 fries, 2 large drinks and 2 children's drinks...biggest rip ever. :rant:

Will never sgo back.

And the food tasted like it was cooked on a dirty grill...:noface:

Thanks for the review...always pass it on way done to Saddleup Saloon... Red Robin okay to.. as well as Johnny Rockets...lot's of doh for a burger.

aquaman
01-14-2013, 09:44 AM
wow.....those are some pricey burgers ??

5 guys and 5 prices.

johnny rocket does a good burger.

milkmania
01-14-2013, 10:24 AM
this place was just weird..... there were 3 glass doors, but the door in the picture had no exterior handle... it leads directly to the register where the guy in the hat is standing!

instead, you've gotta walk around the corner and use another door on 2nd. different wall or walk further and use another door on a 3rd. different wall!
and their music was way too loud adding to the chaos:rolleyes:

People would walk across the dining area to stand in line against the wall on the left.:confused:

3 different stacks of potatoes like the stack pictured.....
drink station in one area, but you've gotta wade through the people standing waiting for their order, for a lid and straw.

weird, I tell ya

TxsRiverRat
01-14-2013, 10:33 AM
So what you guys are all saying is that you enjoy having Five Guys inside of you?

http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

02ProstarSammyD
01-14-2013, 11:38 AM
They are decent burgers. I'd rather grill my own but really are we griping about the difference between a 10 dollar decent (not great) burger vs a 6 dollar mcdonalds combo? Also the price isn't that bad b/c 1 order of fries will feed 2-3 people.

I have 1 half a mile from the house and its good for a change of pace. Unfortunately for them the char grill is .25 miles away and far superior

fstaslp
01-14-2013, 11:41 AM
We've had Five Guys for a while and I like it, but nothing special. Went to Burgerfi the other day - really good

A girl I went to High School with is in charge of their startups. I will pass along the good review.

michiganTristar
01-14-2013, 11:50 AM
So everyone complaining about the prices and how shocked they were when you had to pay, can you not add simple amounts in your head? They have a menu with their prices right next to the food you are ordering. not difficult to walk in, add how much a burger,fry and drink is and decide right then if its worth it.

GT500 MC
01-14-2013, 11:53 AM
x2. And when was the last time anybody here went into a restaurant and priced out a burger, fries, and drink for less than $8-$9 plus tax? And don't include the golden arches....It's hard to eat something "decent" nowadays for less than $8-10 total per person. FWIW, I've never even heard of Five Guys so I don't have a dog in this fight...

hondaprlud
01-14-2013, 12:04 PM
So everyone complaining about the prices and how shocked they were when you had to pay, can you not add simple amounts in your head? They have a menu with their prices right next to the food you are ordering. not difficult to walk in, add how much a burger,fry and drink is and decide right then if its worth it.

I suppose that's one way to do it. If you don't add the taste/quality of the food into the value proposition.

Of course you can ski behind an I/O too. ;)

CruisinGA
01-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Five guys burger is pretty damn good compared to many... don't eat fries so no concerns there.

Whenever I eat it, it's because our office brought it in... doesn't matter if it was $10 or $50 at that point. :D

Ski-me
01-14-2013, 12:11 PM
I prefer Smashburger over 5 Guys......

Sodar
01-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Never did much for me, either. Mid-level burgers in a weird environment.

Always was an In-N-Out guy, myself.

/frank

X2

5 Guys place does not hold a candle to In-N-Out. They just stuck one of these less than a block from our local In-N-Out. 5 Guys is empty In-N-Out has a line wrapped around the corner.

CantRepeat
01-14-2013, 01:46 PM
X2

5 Guys place does not hold a candle to In-N-Out. They just stuck one of these less than a block from our local In-N-Out. 5 Guys is empty In-N-Out has a line wrapped around the corner.

2 of the things I miss from Cali, In-n-Out and Tommy's Burger.

scott023
01-14-2013, 02:12 PM
Darn good burgers and fries, great atmosphere in the locations up here.

milkmania
01-14-2013, 02:58 PM

the first two words in my post say "was determined"

Do you not ever become determined to do something? My determination is one of my strongest assets... Sometimes it gets me in trouble, most times it doesn't.
Yes, I am in control of whether or not I want to pay $24.00 for lunch.

Was I shocked at that price? yes, somewhat (figured there'd be combos, smaller burgers, etc... basic cheeseburger is $6.19) and you get to stare at a cup that says "The Best $5.00 Burger A Man Can Eat"
Impressed by it? no

TayMC197
01-14-2013, 03:40 PM
I just tried it for the first time about 2 weeks ago in WA state, and I thought it was tasty. The Cajun style fries were good too.....As far as your experience, anytime a new restaurant opens up, it always is a cluster and it takes a while for them to work out the bugs etc. Try it again in a month or two and I bet you have a better experience...

Their fries are about as Cajun as Obama. You get enough fries for 10 people. How about reducing the prices and giving a normal size serving of fries. Burgers a good, not the best I can get but better than average.

milkmania
01-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Their fries are about as Cajun as Obama. You get enough fries for 10 people. How about reducing the prices and giving a normal size serving of fries. Burgers a good, not the best I can get but better than average.

I agree.

potatoes in volume would be cheap.... the volume they use anyway
we threw over 1/2 away

cwarndahl
01-16-2013, 10:02 AM
Ooooooo tommy burger, good call! I agree 5 guys is nothing special here in Austin we have PTerrys, trying to be in and out, there good and less then 5 guys and seems to have a good way to get you in and out the door with out to much hassle even during lunch, I have passed up 5 guys several times.