PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on transporting tv?

turbofresh
01-11-2013, 11:16 AM
anybody have suggestions on transporting a 55 inch led tv from one city to another an hour apart via SUV? its previously owned so its not in its original box.

thanks in advance

mikeg205
01-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Wrap it in bubble wrap and and drive slow.

CruisinGA
01-11-2013, 11:25 AM
thick cardboard or plywood to protect the screen.

Ski-me
01-11-2013, 11:58 AM
I think if you keep it more "upright" the glass will travel better and be less prone to breaking. If it's laying flat and you hit a large bump, the energy could be transferred more directly to a piece of glass horizontally. Vertically, they are stronger. Just think about glass company trucks, they are all in a more "vertical" position when transporting. I'm thinking the same type of principle.

With that said, I've moved our 60" plasma flat for about 1/2 mile without any issues and a lot of blankets/padding.

turbofresh
01-11-2013, 12:02 PM
id have to agree with the upright standing i do think that is the best idea. i also heard plasmas are more delicate then lcd/led.

ski-me, what kind of vehicle did you have the 60" in?

Tristarboarder
01-11-2013, 12:07 PM
I see that you are in the SW, which means maybe a warm climate (for this time of year). This is what I did, though it may sound funny...Wrap it up with bubble wrap and cardboard, stand it up on several blankets in the back of a truck, and have a buddy either drive or you drive and sit in the back of the bed and physically hold the tv for the trip. If it isn't too cold, should work out. This is what I did, had my father in law drive while I held my 56" (didn't trust anyone else to hold it) while he drove slowly to the new destination. Worked out great, and I felt every bump and wouldn't let it sway even an inch...

turbofresh
01-11-2013, 12:15 PM
I have thought about that too and that's probably what its going to come down to. just need to find the trusting person haha. I honestly don't care if it takes 3x the amount of time to get it home its just gotta be in 1 piece. well.. preferably 1 piece.

TxsRiverRat
01-11-2013, 12:28 PM
When i assisted my bro in law transport his new tv from best buy to his house, he had to ride in the bed of the pickup with it, as the center of gravity was way too high and tying the box was not working out

Ski-me
01-11-2013, 01:10 PM
id have to agree with the upright standing i do think that is the best idea. i also heard plasmas are more delicate then lcd/led.

ski-me, what kind of vehicle did you have the 60" in?

In a suburban but I couldn't stand it upright. I haven't needed to transport a long way (only a few blocks), so I layed it flat. Longer distance I might be a little more concerned. But, if you padded the heck out of it (especially on the bottom floor), you might be OK transporting flat.....:)

TRBenj
01-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Why not put the screen side up against the seat back of the back seat (car/SUV), and then brace it with soft materials (blankets, cardboard, etc) to make sure it stays there? Screen face down on the floor would make me nervous... but maybe if it were on a bed of pillows/blankets it would be alright.

Dylan
01-11-2013, 03:51 PM
I've moved TVs both ways, and definitely vertical is the way to go. You might want to see if it fits in the back seat. Our 55" fit in front of the back seat of our Tundra crewmax, with room for 2 people to sit back there and hold it from rocking back and forth.

cdstukey
01-11-2013, 04:43 PM
I've moved TVs both ways, and definitely vertical is the way to go. You might want to see if it fits in the back seat. Our 55" fit in front of the back seat of our Tundra crewmax, with room for 2 people to sit back there and hold it from rocking back and forth.

I have moved several with and without boxes. Upright On the floor behind front seats is the best spot. Put a packing blanket or towels over it and slide the passenger seat back to sandwich it between the front and back seats. If it is too tall you can usually take the base off with a couple of screws.

milkmania
01-11-2013, 05:49 PM
mount that thing to something stable inside the SUV, install a dish, and fire that bad boy up!!!!!

http://automatedsatellite.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/1.2-SUV-overhead.jpg

bailey78
01-11-2013, 07:05 PM
I am active duty military, we just moved recently and the moving company wrapped ours in the thick brown paper, set it in a box stuffed more paper in then capped it off with a top for the box, tapped and was good. Made it from chi, IL to hampton, va. No problems, our others we had the original box for. Good Luck.

JimN
01-11-2013, 07:54 PM
anybody have suggestions on transporting a 55 inch led tv from one city to another an hour apart via SUV? its previously owned so its not in its original box.

thanks in advance

Wrap it in a moving blankey and use the seat belts to keep it from tipping. If you have ratchet straps or bungie cords, use those to strap it to the rear seat in but only the back of the TV in contact with the seat. As long as you don't start and stop too fast, you won't have a problem.

You can lay it flat- it's not a problem but make sure there's nothing pressing into the screen.

JimN
01-11-2013, 07:55 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Panasonic has stopped making plasma displays and will be selling the factory.

I officially no longer care about video.:mad:

petermegan
01-11-2013, 08:40 PM
I think it is far easier to trip on your doorstep, drop the TV and pick up the new one from the store around the corner from your new house :) I hope my insurance company doesn't monitor these sights.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
01-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Go to Uhaul and get a moving box...

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/category/Flat-Screen-TV-Moving-Kits?mid=481

ski_king
01-11-2013, 10:21 PM
A 55 in in a box will not fit across most vehicles, at least not a F-150 crewcab.

I have hauled 2 and both times had to lay them flat in the bed, but they were in the orginal box packed as new with screen side up.

cdstukey
01-12-2013, 03:55 PM
A 55 in in a box will not fit across most vehicles, at least not a F-150 crewcab.

I have hauled 2 and both times had to lay them flat in the bed, but they were in the orginal box packed as new with screen side up.

In that case, just throw it on the roof with some twine and the driver and passenger can reach out the window and hold on to it. It seems to work for mattresses. :rolleyes:

saltybalty
01-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Never transport flat. Your glass is 100x more likely to crack. As many have recommended use the bed of a pick up and ride back there with it. I made a half hour journey both city and highway, no issues. Also didn't hurt that I got to ride on the couch that we were also moving.

JimN
01-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Never transport flat. Your glass is 100x more likely to crack. As many have recommended use the bed of a pick up and ride back there with it. I made a half hour journey both city and highway, no issues. Also didn't hurt that I got to ride on the couch that we were also moving.

It's an LED or LCD, so the face is plastic.

fskof
01-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Your local U-haul sells boxes for transporting TV's

ski_king
01-13-2013, 10:04 PM
I see they want $100 for that box.

fskof
01-13-2013, 10:22 PM
I see they want $100 for that box.

WOW are you serious! :eek: I never checked out the price I just remember seeing it there.

Now I am glad I kept my original box for my Pioneer Elite Plasma up in the garage rafters.

turbofresh
01-14-2013, 11:24 AM
well i got the beast home in one piece on Saturday. i ended up wrapping it up in 3 blankets in back seat and put the two seatbelts around it. worked out quite well. only problem i had was that somehow along the trip the stand it was on had bent and now my tv has a bit of a lean on it. its no problem cause it will eventually be going on a wall mount but i guess lesson learnt. (shoulda took the stand off)