PDA

View Full Version : The Official Home Surveillance Systems Thread.

CantRepeat
01-06-2013, 02:19 PM
So I'm looking at putting in a home surveillance system and want to know what other people are using.

What DVR/computer recording system software, phone alerting/calling reporting software, capturing uploading to offsite server?

What cameras, types, indoor, outdoor, fixed stationary, pan-able, IR, thermal--brands?

Cables, type routing, redundancy.

Possible professional monitoring companies.

What kind of long term usage reliability you are having with your equipment?

Adding this link to the legalities of home surveillance. Lots of good info for all states.

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/telecom/electronic-surveillance-laws.aspx

http://www.jlmmerchandise.com/surveillance-legalities.html

blakekrone
01-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Tim, a big question to ask yourself is what type of system do you want to use? CCTV or IP Based? CCTV requires that you run coax cable with BNC connectors to all locations. The initial hardware is much cheaper and is easier to get into because they are a dime a dozen on cameras and such, but the problem is getting coax to all locations.

I have a bunch of Linksys Wireless IP based cameras around the house (1 looking out the back via a 2nd story window, 1 out the front via 2nd story window, 1 in the garage, 1 in the shop) and they work well. Most IP based ones don't do well outdoors unless you get the high end Axis cameras. I like the IP based ones as I can get to them remotely very easily via iphone/android/etc. Linksys has software that runs on Windows computers that acts as a DVR.

Most of the time you want to have a pan/tilt camera on your yards, things like a garage or shop camera don't need to be, but outdoors should usually be pan/tilt. I've used this one up at the parents cabin and it works well:

http://www.smarthome.com/75790/Smarthome-Wireless-Security-IP-Camera-with-Pan-Tilt-and-Night-Vision/p.aspx

CantRepeat
01-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Hey, thanks for the feedback.

Running the cables won't be an issue for me as I already have flood lights at each corner of the house. I do need one long range camera, about 125 feet to cover the shop and the boat.

I'm kind of thinking a combination of 3 outdoor cameras that cover each door, 1 to cover the shop and then one indoor camera to cover the main living room.

I figure I'll go with someone's DVR, don't know which one as I have no info on brands. It seems most have auto back up features to back up to a NAS box or computer. I'm sure I want phone notification on motion.

What about camera resolutions. I see a lot of 480s, 600s and what not. I assume higher res offers more detail at the cost of drive space. How much drive space is taken up by 4 or 5 cameras on full time record? IE how many days do you get before it starts record over old video?

TayMC197
01-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Get an izon, it's cheap, easy to move and pretty fair quality for 50. Not a serious system but I like it.

CantRepeat
01-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Anyone using QSEE systems?

http://www.q-see.com/products/product_description.php?cId=131&pId=226&id=131&pid=110

GoneBoatN
01-06-2013, 04:32 PM
To add another question to the list:

How useful is the video image in a low light situation? In my case there is a street light about 100 ft away providing limited lighting at night. Could faces be identified under this circumstance?

CantRepeat
01-06-2013, 04:56 PM

How useful is the video image in a low light situation? In my case there is a street light about 100 ft away providing limited lighting at night. Could faces be identified under this circumstance?

I've not used or seen anyone's video but some of the 120 foot cameras say face recognition at 70 ft.

Hopefully someone has some cameras in their home they can recommend for long range video. I need one to cover my shop and boat.

Aric'sX15
01-06-2013, 05:15 PM
ive got 5 total cameras around my house, and they all record off of motion. The company is called alarm.com, and you can watch it from anywhere. it even has an iPhone app. they also have infrared night vision. was great to keep an eye on the house with our extremely pesky neighbors.

CantRepeat
01-06-2013, 06:13 PM
I keep reading about 4/8/16 channel and I assume that is the number of cameras the DVR can record or display at one time?

east tx skier
01-06-2013, 06:56 PM
I have adefender with 4 cameras. Purchased used off Amazon and it has worked flawlessly. You should see the picture of the little brat that smashed our pumpkins a few years ago.

JohnnyB
01-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Its about 1200 feet from my house to my dock. No power down there. Never had issues with anyone messing with my boat. However, it is accessible from the road and I had someone take a car down there late fall and get it stuck...ripped the crap out of my property getting it out of there. I've got an old trail camera over there now. I would have loved to catch those bastards down there...I'm looking at a day with a skidder to fix all the ruts they made :mad:

I'm sure it was some kids down there drinking or screwing or both.....

fskof
01-06-2013, 07:43 PM
A friend of mine just purchased this unit from Sams club
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/revo-16-channel-surveillance-system-with-8-high-resolution-600tvl-cameras-2-tb-hard-drive/prod6070671.ip?navAction=push

He choose this unit because the system can be viewed live on most smart phones or any internet PC/MAC. It will also automatically notify you with Push Notifications when any or all of the cameras detect motion. Also You don't have to pay a penny for that service all you need is the internet connection.

He plans on installing it this week

CantRepeat
01-06-2013, 08:57 PM
FSKOF, getting an 404 on your link, page not found.

fskof
01-06-2013, 09:12 PM
FSKOF, getting an 404 on your link, page not found.

Fixed it. It should work now

CantRepeat
01-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Fixed it. It should work now

That's a very nice system from what I have read. I don't think I need 16 channels right now. Sure there is a ton of room for expansion but I don't see me ever needing to record 16 feeds.

I'm thinking at the most 6 or 8 channels which should come in around $500 even with 4 cameras in the bundle.

blakekrone
01-06-2013, 10:21 PM
That's a very nice system from what I have read. I don't think I need 16 channels right now. Sure there is a ton of room for expansion but I don't see me ever needing to record 16 feeds.

I'm thinking at the most 6 or 8 channels which should come in around $500 even with 4 cameras in the bundle.

Be surprised at what you find you would want a camera for! I put one in the garage so I can tell if the door did open or not from inside the house (detached garage) so I can safely operate the remote start in the Jeep. It isn't recorded, but it was a "this is kind of cool" after thought.

The other side to that also is that if you don't do Pan/Tilt cameras you may need to double up at some spots to get all the angles covered. Cameras are cheap, head units are usually what cost the most so go bigger there up front. You can easily upgrade cameras as new technology adapts, but the recording unit should be spec'd to last.

Rossterman
01-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Camera resolution is critical as facial recognition with 400 line system i had was poor from ~ 70 ft away to the point i couldnt id the person. 600tlv systems like the sams club one are becoming more affordable so may want to ensure any system you buy is the higher resolution.

onewheat
01-07-2013, 02:40 AM
Anyone using QSEE systems?

http://www.q-see.com/products/product_description.php?cId=131&pId=226&id=131&pid=110

I have a 16 channel, 1 TB DVR, 8 camera Q-See setup with 600 line cameras. I'm still figuring the system out, so can't really rate a lot of it yet. It records on motion and daylight resolution is pretty good - facial recognition at night time is maybe 50-70 feet at best as far as I can tell. I haven't played with any of the settings or changed anything from the defaults though, so I'm not sure if I am on the highest resolution or not. I just hooked it all up and haven't really given it the time to mess with it.

CantRepeat
01-07-2013, 08:00 AM
The more I read the more I think building a system is better then one of the prepackaged deals. IE 8 or 16 of the same cheapo cameras are not going to do me any good if I only use 3 of them and then get 2 other longer range cameras.

I think this Q-SEE QT 526 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881192234&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA&gclid=CKfVlKSW1rQCFQiqnQodEx4AFA) DVR might be a good base to start with.

CantRepeat
01-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Anyone have info on running non same brand cameras and DVRs. I would assume there are a couple of different standards.

CantRepeat
01-07-2013, 03:56 PM
More reading and more learning.

It seems the one of the best surveillance DVR makers is Dahua Security (http://www.dahuasecurity.com/). I guess they have a deal where they sell them to US makers but they must be re-branded.

One of the companies that does that is Security Camera King (http://www.securitycameraking.com/).

They have a very big selection of DVRs, cameras, wiring, and just about anything else.

They also have a build your own system deal.

http://www.securitycameraking.com/custom-built-security-camera-system-59033-prd1.html

CantRepeat
01-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Well I placed an order this morning with Security Camera King. I found a 5% discount code on the webs.

Total cost was right at a grand.

I ordered:

8 Channel Ultimate MINI Series SKU: DVR-LT8240MHD This is a Dahua brand DVR which has a built in Linux OS.

This DVR is about $250 bucks less then the other ones they have because it does not come with a DVD burner. I know I'll never use that feature because I can just pull the video off the HD over the network if I need to burn it.

The 8 camera external power supply is standard.

I also got two of their base line indoor/outdoor IR cameras. 600TVL Indoor/Outdoor IR Dome #OD-CM600IR50-B

For the main living room I went with a camera with a few more features and an adjustable angle camera because I have to mount it in a vaulted ceiling.

The camera that will cover my shop and boat has a longer ranger.

700TVL Varifocal IR Vandal Dome # VD-EL700IR100L2812

To round out the bundle I ordered a 500 foot roll of siamese cable, crimper tool, and bunch of ends.

I'll let you guys know how it works out.

milkmania
01-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Well I placed an order this morning with Security Camera King. I found a 5% discount code on the webs.

Total cost was right at a grand.

I ordered:

8 Channel Ultimate MINI Series SKU: DVR-LT8240MHD This is a Dahua brand DVR which has a built in Linux OS.

This DVR is about $250 bucks less then the other ones they have because it does not come with a DVD burner. I know I'll never use that feature because I can just pull the video off the HD over the network if I need to burn it.

The 8 camera external power supply is standard.

I also got two of their base line indoor/outdoor IR cameras. 600TVL Indoor/Outdoor IR Dome #OD-CM600IR50-B

For the main living room I went with a camera with a few more features and an adjustable angle camera because I have to mount it in a vaulted ceiling.

The camera that will cover my shop and boat has a longer ranger.

700TVL Varifocal IR Vandal Dome # VD-EL700IR100L2812

To round out the bundle I ordered a 500 foot roll of siamese cable, crimper tool, and bunch of ends.

I'll let you guys know how it works out.

dang.... it sucks when you gotta pay a thousand bucks to protect your stuff:(
will you get a break on home insurance?

post a tutorial or pics..... we are simple minded creatures and we like pictures8p

CantRepeat
01-08-2013, 03:58 PM
You know, I never even thought about asking my insurance company if there was a credit for home surveillance equip properties. Thanks for the suggestion.

I figure if the camers/surveillance system keeps the baddies out it'll be worth the bucks spent.

I'll probably run over to the home deport and pick up the boxes for the power outlets and through ceiling BNC connections. If I get most of that done before the gear arrives hopefully I can get it all installed this weekend.

fskof
01-08-2013, 11:14 PM
Let us know how the install goes.

JimN
01-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Get an izon, it's cheap, easy to move and pretty fair quality for 50. Not a serious system but I like it.

Fair quality is OK, as long as you don't need to see who did what. The only thing that's worthwhile is high quality video capture. Period. New cameras are true HD now- why bother with a $50 POS when you want to see who broke in on a pitch black night?

CantRepeat
01-09-2013, 04:58 AM

Here is a video with a 0 Lux IR camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BD3-lnpzUDI

Sure looks like you could get identity from it.

JimN
01-09-2013, 09:09 AM
I just captured this image- it's not really as bright as the photo shows, but the settings allow EVERYTHING to be the way I want. This is using a Digital Watchdog camera- it's not terribly expensive, it uses available light ('Starlight'), it blocks extremely bright lights (headlights and flashlights aimed at it to blind the camera) and the black bar is part of the "privacy" function, meant to keep the camera from sending sensitive images to the DVR (bedroom, bathroom or any other neighboring building that would be an invasion of privacy). It also works when an extremely bright light is causing flare, due to the curvature of the dome, as teh sodium vapor light next door does. This camera is almost 3 years old. The new 'Snap-It' series is submersible, once the dome is screwed in place. 5 year warranty, too.

Keep in mind- this wasn't captured on-site- I did it over the internet, using my computer. The image seen at the location is just like viewing it on a monitor. Also, the time is more than an hour ahead of real time- it was 7:02AM when I captured it and, apparently, I need to check the time setting on the DVR.

CantRepeat
01-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Great looking shot, Jim.

Do you have a link to the current like model or model number? I did order two of the base model cameras in my package with the intent on doing more research and possible upgrades to them. There were a few break-ins at the end of last year so I was kind of rushed to get something installed.

JimN
01-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Great looking shot, Jim.

Do you have a link to the current like model or model number? I did order two of the base model cameras in my package with the intent on doing more research and possible upgrades to them. There were a few break-ins at the end of last year so I was kind of rushed to get something installed.

That camera is the Digital Watchdog V3363D. The new model I used last is the V4363D. The new ones can use RG59/18-2 siamese cable, separate coax/two conductor or Cat5e/6/7 cable. I'd like to see them put an RJ45 jack in the shell- at this point, it needs to be spliced. They also have cameras that use one pair of wires to control the camera remotely, so you can pan/tilt/zoom even if you're not where the DVR is located. I would suggest making sure the camera can be programmed to go to a 'home' position after it's re-adjusted. No point in having a PTZ camera and leaving it so it's viewing an area that's not what needs coverage. Rather than PTZ, I like to have redundant coverage- that way, if someone tries to disable a camera, it's seen by another camera.

Here's their site- there's a notice at the bottom about buying from unauthorized sellers and they mean it. No warranty.

http://dwcc.tv/00_main/main.asp

They have smart-phone apps, too. The iPhone app ( works with iPad, too- that's how I got a referral job last year) is real-time, with motion. The Blackberry app is snapshot and needs to be refreshed in order to see any change.

CantRepeat
01-10-2013, 12:45 PM
I was told and had read the best wiring method was the siamese coax/power which is what I went with.

I didn't do a lot of reading, but what is the star light tech they speak of? Is it just a coined named for the IR night cameras?

I was also looking at getting 1 PTZ with auto tracking. It just follows anything moving. Lets you cover a wide area. Once the motion has stop it will center up on your pre-defined point.

Added a link in first post to some legal stuff about home surveillance. Seems pretty basic.

JimN
01-10-2013, 01:01 PM
I was told and had read the best wiring method was the siamese coax/power which is what I went with.

I didn't do a lot of reading, but what is the star light tech they speak of? Is it just a coined named for the IR night cameras?

I was also looking at getting 1 PTZ with auto tracking. It just follows anything moving. Lets you cover a wide area. Once the motion has stop it will center up on your pre-defined point.

Added a link in first post to some legal stuff about home surveillance. Seems pretty basic.

As long as the cable runs aren't so long that the signal experiences voltage drop and isn't susceptible to interference, anything coax or twisted pair wire is fine.

Starlight doesn't use IR illumination- it uses available light. The Digital Watchdog cameras have a setting to increase illumination by 2x through 32x and it works well.

BTW- rather than using DIP switches for changes to settings, the DW cameras have a menu button and is icon-based. Much easier than using little DIP switches, like the SPECO cameras have. For setup, I use a 7" battery-powered TV from KMart- it was $80 and it's great for this. I also use it to test cable/antenna connections and signal.

For the cabling, if it's exposed, put it in conduit. Never under-estimate the inventive abilities of a criminal when it comes to disabling something. A stick with a screw or hook can yank cables out or down, breaking their path and blinding it. IMO, if cables are exposed and reachable, they're only 'video cameras', not 'security cameras'. Also, if they're in conduit, critters can't chew through them. This is less of a problem in soffits and attics, but I have had to repair cabling when it was gnawed by squirrels.

CantRepeat
01-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Up in attic morning runnintg cat5, RCA, and power to the dvr.

-Tim aka Cantrepeat

CantRepeat
01-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Made a wall mount for the DVR, finished up the network connection, and got the camera in feeds connected to the ceiling gang box.

-Tim aka Cantrepeat

CantRepeat
01-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Jim, are you running any kind of UPS system?

And if you don't mind me asking what software are you using on the DVR, if any?

JimN
01-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Up in attic morning runnintg cat5, RCA, and power to the dvr.

-Tim aka Cantrepeat

What's the hammer for- crimping the BNC or F connectors?

JimN
01-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Jim, are you running any kind of UPS system?

And if you don't mind me asking what software are you using on the DVR, if any?

I would never install a DVR without a UPS. Also, it's not absolutely necessary to buy the one with the largest reserve capacity- the difference between that and the smaller ones is the case and the battery. You can buy a replacement battery with more reserve for far less tan the difference in price and this works great if you make/use a special enclosure for the VCR, to keep it from being seen by people who don't have any business seeing it, or even knowing its location.

The DVRs I use have proprietary software and I do the setup on any computers that need access unless I can't physically go to the computer's location and in that case, the user does the setup (often with help from their IT people). I also set up their smart phones, in most cases. They also use their own software for the computers used to view the video because it has the GUI, access info and tools for capturing stills or video.

The cameras and power supply- 12VDC or 24VAC? If you have long cable runs, 24VAC is better because line loss is less of a problem. With 12VDC, line loss causes higher current, more heat in the circuits and shorter life.

CantRepeat
01-13-2013, 02:42 PM
I would never install a DVR without a UPS. Also, it's not absolutely necessary to buy the one with the largest reserve capacity- the difference between that and the smaller ones is the case and the battery. You can buy a replacement battery with more reserve for far less tan the difference in price and this works great if you make/use a special enclosure for the VCR, to keep it from being seen by people who don't have any business seeing it, or even knowing its location.

The DVRs I use have proprietary software and I do the setup on any computers that need access unless I can't physically go to the computer's location and in that case, the user does the setup (often with help from their IT people). I also set up their smart phones, in most cases. They also use their own software for the computers used to view the video because it has the GUI, access info and tools for capturing stills or video.

The cameras and power supply- 12VDC or 24VAC? If you have long cable runs, 24VAC is better because line loss is less of a problem. With 12VDC, line loss causes higher current, more heat in the circuits and shorter life.

It's a 12 volt power supply. The longest run is right at 60'.

I didn't think about an UPS until after I pick the DVR location. It shouldn't be a problem adding one which I'll also need to add one to my router. The software that came with the DVR has the ability to upload both stills and video when motion is detected. I'll probably just do the stills with phone alerts to motion. If I login and see someone I can also start the video upload to my offsite server. This way, if they find the DVR and disable or damage it I'll still have some video for the cops.

CantRepeat
01-13-2013, 02:44 PM
What's the hammer for- crimping the BNC or F connectors?

I pick up a BNC compression crimping tool when I placed my order(great little tool). The hammer is for the U staples for the new romex cable I ran for the new power outlet. As you can see, I also had to go back and add some to the electrical the guy ran when my house was built. lol

JimN
01-13-2013, 02:51 PM
It's a 12 volt power supply. The longest run is right at 60'.

I didn't think about an UPS until after I pick the DVR location. It shouldn't be a problem adding one which I'll also need to add one to my router. The software that came with the DVR has the ability to upload both stills and video when motion is detected. I'll probably just do the stills with phone alerts to motion. If I login and see someone I can also start the video upload to my offsite server. This way, if they find the DVR and disable or damage it I'll still have some video for the cops.

You could also get a camera that looks like a motion detector and put it in the room with the DVR, but has an SD card slot. That way, if someone does take the DVR, you have it on the SD card.

CantRepeat
01-13-2013, 03:09 PM
You could also get a camera that looks like a motion detector and put it in the room with the DVR, but has an SD card slot. That way, if someone does take the DVR, you have it on the SD card.

Thanks a great idea. Any recommendations on which unit?

JimN
01-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks a great idea. Any recommendations on which unit?

You could look at Brickhouse Security. I only tried one of their cameras and it was a little black box- the video quality was so-so but they may have something better. For a wired PIR (motion sensor), I used a couple of Speco and they were decent. Not IR illuminated, but decent in normal light unless the light was aimed at it.

east tx skier
01-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Our system isn't hi-def. And we need better lighting in any event. But here is our pumpkin thief from a couple of years ago. Anyone know him. ;)

CantRepeat
01-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I JUST started reading the camera manual and there are for sure a lot of settings that need to be gone through. There is no doubt when it comes to surveillance cameras you get what your pay for, or a lack there of.

I kind of wish I would have passed on the 2 default cameras in the package but we'll see what they look like once I get them installed and setup. If nothing else, like Jim recommended, they will be come multi-coverage cameras.

CantRepeat
01-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Our system isn't hi-def. And we need better lighting in any event. But here is our pumpkin thief from a couple of years ago. Anyone know him. ;)

It kind of looks like Eddie!!! :D

east tx skier
01-13-2013, 05:45 PM
It kind of looks like Eddie!!! :D

Possibly. But to get slightly back on topic, I think with more lighting, I can keep the subpar cameras.

/with the little $hit had tripped.

CantRepeat
01-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Possibly. But to get slightly back on topic, I think with more lighting, I can keep the subpar cameras.

/with the little $hit had tripped.

Maybe an external IR source?

GoneBoatN
01-14-2013, 07:55 PM
Is this what is really going on here? :uglyhamme

JohnnyB
01-15-2013, 06:54 AM

2020.....looks like your camera predicts the future...that will make it easy to catch him....

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

JimN
01-15-2013, 10:07 AM
2020.....looks like your camera predicts the future...that will make it easy to catch him....

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

By 'predicts the future'. do you mean "catch them in the act, instead of whole they're running away afterward"? DVRs have a video buffer that's always receiving signal and when it's set for motion detection (not constantly recording), it saves the video, starting at about 5 seconds prior to the motion event.

I have captured videos of break-ins where the person had to have known he was on camera (his mom is married to the bar/restaurant owner) and the place had indoor cameras that were easy to see with a triple ring of LEDs for IR illumination. The second time, when he stole all of the TVs and was at the front of the bar and filling a waste basket with bottles of booze, he would look directly at the closest camera about every 30 seconds. Nice, bright video of the DB.

Sometimes, people think some of the cameras are dummies, so they take their chances. That's a good thing because is makes them do really stupid things in front of the real ones.

east tx skier
01-15-2013, 10:11 AM
Jim, I think he's referring to the fact that the date is off on mine. Mine is not motion sensor. Continuous loop.

JimN
01-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Jim, I think he's referring to the fact that the date is off on mine. Mine is not motion sensor. Continuous loop.

Yeah, well, if I had thought of THAT, I could have come up with an answer that actually applied. :(

Dylan
02-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Any updates to this thread? I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a system at Costco, but wanted to hear your review on here.

Thanks,
Dylan

JimN
02-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Any updates to this thread? I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a system at Costco, but wanted to hear your review on here.

Thanks,
Dylan

You might want to keep looking.

http://securityadvancement.com/2013/01/dvr-flaw-swann/

Dylan
02-08-2013, 06:38 PM
You might want to keep looking.

http://securityadvancement.com/2013/01/dvr-flaw-swann/

I read that link, and am mostly confused.

I think I'll roll the dice on the fact that no one is going to want to look at a 24hr loop of my driveway and/or sideyard. I keep my gold bars stored off site, as well and my sinister experiments are kept in the basement.

JimN
02-08-2013, 06:58 PM

I think I'll roll the dice on the fact that no one is going to want to look at a 24hr loop of my driveway and/or sideyard. I keep my gold bars stored off site, as well and my sinister experiments are kept in the basement.

It means that someone found serious vulnerability and not only can they get into the DVR, they can see the IP address, user name/password, gateway address and with a few educated guesses, would be able to install keystroke logger/virus or gain control of any computers in the network.

JohnE
02-08-2013, 07:18 PM

It means that someone found serious vulnerability and not only can they get into the DVR, they can see the IP address, user name/password, gateway address and with a few educated guesses, would be able to install keystroke logger/virus or gain control of any computers in the network.

And again, why would anyone want to do that looking at Dylan's (Or my) backyard and driveway? I understand it is different if you are surveying something with more value.

I'm going to do some cameras at the house I'm building. I have limited experience with cameras, but my brother in law (how's that Pete???) works for a higher end security company (they do gillette stadium and many other big clients) is going to give me some suggestions. I'll report back when I figure out what I'm doing

JimN
02-08-2013, 07:33 PM
And again, why would anyone want to do that looking at Dylan's (Or my) backyard and driveway? I understand it is different if you are surveying something with more value.

I'm going to do some cameras at the house I'm building. I have limited experience with cameras, but my brother in law (how's that Pete???) works for a higher end security company (they do gillette stadium and many other big clients) is going to give me some suggestions. I'll report back when I figure out what I'm doing

Well, they could watch for everyone to leave and go to the house and do a bit of "shopping".

If the budget isn't large, pass on IP-based cameras, but run Cat5e to each camera location instead of RG59/18-2 cable- baluns can be used for the video feed and power can be run on the other pairs. If you decide to change to IP later, it's usually a matter of putting an RJ45 on the end and plugging it in. At the head end, a PoE (Power over Ethernet) adapter would feed the cameras. Some cameras have RS485 control- one pair of wires connects to the cameras that have this and to a specific pair of terminals on the DVR and this allows camera setup changes to be made without going to the camera, itself.

Speaking of power, 24VAC is the way to go. The line loss from using a DC power supply shortens camera life and causes problems with ground loops. If a camera that uses DC happens to be the best choice for one or two locations, an AC-DC converter can be used at the camera location (never at the head end unless it's very close to the camera that needs it).

Heelgrad
02-09-2013, 12:36 AM
Well, they could watch for everyone to leave and go to the house and do a bit of "shopping".

If the budget isn't large, pass on IP-based cameras, but run Cat5e to each camera location instead of RG59/18-2 cable- baluns can be used for the video feed and power can be run on the other pairs. If you decide to change to IP later, it's usually a matter of putting an RJ45 on the end and plugging it in. At the head end, a PoE (Power over Ethernet) adapter would feed the cameras. Some cameras have RS485 control- one pair of wires connects to the cameras that have this and to a specific pair of terminals on the DVR and this allows camera setup changes to be made without going to the camera, itself.

Speaking of power, 24VAC is the way to go. The line loss from usign a DC power supply shortens camera life and causes problems with ground loops. If a camera that uses DC happens to be the best choice for one or two locations, an AC-DC converter can be used at the camera location (never at the head end unless it's very close to the camera that needs it).

you lost me at Well,........

john jones
02-09-2013, 02:05 AM
I have been looking at camera security king equipment. They have the 4 channel and the 8 channel system. Does anyone have any opinion on them? I went and looked at the swan system at frys the other day. It sure seemed cheaply made.

Anyone have any good feedback on any of their systems?

CantRepeat
02-09-2013, 07:19 AM

Change all of the default ports, turn off or remove all of the built in accounts, you can't shut off "admin" but change the default password. You don't need to run port 80 to access your device over the web. Just by doing these small things you can greatly increase the security of the DVR. Make sure you are running a good router firewall (you can disable UPnP, this should stop the dvr from adding any forwards to your router). DO NOT put any device on DMZ, ever. One of the biggest security risks is people running default configurations on well known devices.

It seems my directv dvr opens and forwards more ports then anything else. Well, it used to but I don't use the DirecTV APPs so it's off.

If you are running wireless access make sure you have the access restriction set allow only the MAC addresses you input. Run WAP2 personal with AES encryption and use a lengthly generated password.

You can check out this forum. There seems to be some really smart guys there. They do seem a little bias on the cheaper costco and bestbuy bundles but they do have great info on why. Seems there is a some what high failure rate.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=28670

I have been looking at camera security king equipment. They have the 4 channel and the 8 channel system. Does anyone have any opinion on them? I went and looked at the swan system at frys the other day. It sure seemed cheaply made.

Anyone have any good feedback on any of their systems?

I did get a package deal from security camera king but wished I had not. The DVRs are top notch. I pick up this one.

http://www.securitycameraking.com/8-channel-ultimate-mini-series-59081-prd1.html

It's a little less expensive because it doesn't have a dvd burner in it. I didn't need one. In my previous post I mentioned these are made by http://www.dahuasecurity.com/ which from my readings is a very high end company in surveillance gear.

I used the build a system with security camera king and pick up 4 cameras. Two of their base cameras(they have no control over their features) and couple of outside dome cameras(these do have adjustments for lens/shutter). After Jim's recommendation I pick up two Digital watchdogs. With noise reduction and the street light I can even get color video at night. Without adjusting the DWD cameras I can see they are very nice. Once I get the camera picture adjusted on all of them I'll upload some photos.

JimN
02-09-2013, 08:30 AM
Change all of the default ports, turn off or remove all of the built in accounts, you can't shut off "admin" but change the default password. You don't need to run port 80 to access your device over the web. Just by doing these small things you can greatly increase the security of the DVR. Make sure you are running a good router firewall (you can disable UPnP, this should stop the dvr from adding any forwards to your router). DO NOT put any device on DMZ, ever. One of the biggest security risks is people running default configurations on well known devices.

It seems my directv dvr opens and forwards more ports then anything else. Well, it used to but I don't use the DirecTV APPs so it's off.

If you are running wireless access make sure you have the access restriction set allow only the MAC addresses you input. Run WAP2 personal with AES encryption and use a lengthly generated password.

You can check out this forum. There seems to be some really smart guys there. They do seem a little bias on the cheaper costco and bestbuy bundles but they do have great info on why. Seems there is a some what high failure rate.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=28670

I did get a package deal from security camera king but wished I had not. The DVRs are top notch. I pick up this one.

http://www.securitycameraking.com/8-channel-ultimate-mini-series-59081-prd1.html

It's a little less expensive because it doesn't have a dvd burner in it. I didn't need one. In my previous post I mentioned these are made by http://www.dahuasecurity.com/ which from my readings is a very high end company in surveillance gear.

I used the build a system with security camera king and pick up 4 cameras. Two of their base cameras(they have no control over their features) and couple of outside dome cameras(these do have adjustments for lens/shutter). After Jim's recommendation I pick up two Digital watchdogs. With noise reduction and the street light I can even get color video at night. Without adjusting the DWD cameras I can see they are very nice. Once I get the camera picture adjusted on all of them I'll upload some photos.

One of the most important things is to disable UPnP but re: passwords- this vulnerability enters through port 9000 and doesn't even need a user name or password.

The DVD burner is an added expense most don't need and saving video to a thumb drive is faster, anyway.

Which DW cameras?

CantRepeat
02-09-2013, 09:10 AM
One of the most important things is to disable UPnP but re: passwords- this vulnerability enters through port 9000 and doesn't even need a user name or password.

The DVD burner is an added expense most don't need and saving video to a thumb drive is faster, anyway.

Which DW cameras?

Jim,

I pick up the V4367WTIR and the B1363TIR. I have not installed the bullet yet but I got it for range. I'm going to set it up to overlook the shop and boat. I need to run some conduit for the cables. The 4367 is very nice. With just the street like 100 meters from the drive way it still does color at night. I need to set it up and work on the noise reduction for night.

The DVR I pick up has some really great features I'll be setting up. Like uploading captures to both my NAS box and an offsite server. I have the email alert for motion detection set up already.

I'm not sure if my DVR is using port 9000 but I blocked it along with telnet. Good routers are very useful!!

JimN
02-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Jim,

I pick up the V4367WTIR and the B1363TIR. I have not installed the bullet yet but I got it for range. I'm going to set it up to overlook the shop and boat. I need to run some conduit for the cables. The 4367 is very nice. With just the street like 100 meters from the drive way it still does color at night. I need to set it up and work on the noise reduction for night.

The DVR I pick up has some really great features I'll be setting up. Like uploading captures to both my NAS box and an offsite server. I have the email alert for motion detection set up already.

I'm not sure if my DVR is using port 9000 but I blocked it along with telnet. Good routers are very useful!!

I have used mostly non-IR cameras and they still show color at night. With the AGC, you can crank up the gain and still not have blown out images. Also, the HME is great if someone comes along and thinks headlights or a bright flashlight will blind the cameras- all that does is show up as a dark spot where the light source is. If you or a neighbor has a bright light that will be in the camera's view, you can use the Privacy feature to block it and keep the AGC from darkening the whole image.

If you want to see something cool- look at the camera's image on the display and cover the lens with your hand- it goes dark, switches to B&W and you'll see the lines in the palm of your hand. I went to a distributor product show a few years ago and the training manager from DW had me do that- it's one of the main reasons I started using their products.

CantRepeat
02-09-2013, 10:32 AM
I have used mostly non-IR cameras and they still show color at night. With the AGC, you can crank up the gain and still not have blown out images. Also, the HME is great if someone comes along and thinks headlights or a bright flashlight will blind the cameras- all that does is show up as a dark spot where the light source is. If you or a neighbor has a bright light that will be in the camera's view, you can use the Privacy feature to block it and keep the AGC from darkening the whole image.

If you want to see something cool- look at the camera's image on the display and cover the lens with your hand- it goes dark, switches to B&W and you'll see the lines in the palm of your hand. I went to a distributor product show a few years ago and the training manager from DW had me do that- it's one of the main reasons I started using their products.

I have not done any adjusting on them yet but I believe there is a day and a night adjustment on them. I think I can adjust the IR at night to be low or secondary after the AGC has been adjust so that it only uses so much of the IR power. We'll see. At this point I'm still learning.

Thanks for all the tips.

JimN
02-09-2013, 10:35 AM
I have not done any adjusting on them yet but I believe there is a day and a night adjustment on them. I think I can adjust the IR at night to be low or secondary after the AGC has been adjust so that it only uses so much of the IR power. We'll see. At this point I'm still learning.

Thanks for all the tips.

The dome cameras- did you play with the little rubber "joystick" button inside? The number of settings can be intimidating, but they also do more than any other camera I have seen.

CantRepeat
02-09-2013, 10:40 AM
The dome cameras- did you play with the little rubber "joystick" button inside? The number of settings can be intimidating, but they also do more than any other camera I have seen.

Only slightly. I wasn't sure what most of them did so I figured I'd keep reading up on them before going to deep. Out of the box they are 10x better then the other 4 I have but I think they will be more then worth if they are ever really needed.

JimN
02-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Only slightly. I wasn't sure what most of them did so I figured I'd keep reading up on them before going to deep. Out of the box they are 10x better then the other 4 I have but I think they will be more then worth if they are ever really needed.

I'm always amazed by the poor video quality when I see a news report of a gas station or bank robbery. The videos I usually see are one step away from being like a Bigfoot or UFO video and I just laugh when they say "Please call this number if you can identify this person", but it's impossible to see if the person actually has a face, is wearing a ski mask or any other details.

john jones
02-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I am having a tough time deciding on this system:

http://www.securitycameraking.com/complete-4-channel-ultimate-mini-59098-prd1.html

or
http://www.securitycameraking.com/complete-8-channel-elite-mini-59023-prd1.html

I am trying to stay in a budget around 700.00. This is for home use. The 4 channel is probably enough, but I know how it goes I will want 1or2 more cameras and wished I had bought the 8 channel system.

It appears that they have an economy system and a step above economy in both the 4 channel and the 8 channel, what are the differences between the economy and the next level higher?

JimN
02-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I am having a tough time deciding on this system:

http://www.securitycameraking.com/complete-4-channel-ultimate-mini-59098-prd1.html

or
http://www.securitycameraking.com/complete-8-channel-elite-mini-59023-prd1.html

I am trying to stay in a budget around 700.00. This is for home use. The 4 channel is probably enough, but I know how it goes I will want 1or2 more cameras and wished I had bought the 8 channel system.

It appears that they have an economy system and a step above economy in both the 4 channel and the 8 channel, what are the differences between the economy and the next level higher?

Any time I hear "You can't find a more advanced ________, anywhere" and the package price isn't high, when I know there's a lot out there that does far more, I run. What he's working with is the GUI, not the hardware. However, it does seem to be very full-featured.

What I wanted to see is the video of lights off and night. That's where some cameras really set themselves apart from the others.

This shot has the time stamp on it and I just saved it, remotely. This is the worst view you'd get- it's online, not a decent res feed from the DVR to a TV or monitor. The yard has a big Maple tree that blocks most of the light from the alley, too. Anything that comes in is from the side yards, under/through the tree or farther away,