PDA

View Full Version : Electric valves

XStar08
01-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Hi

Anyone considered to use an electric valve (instead of the hand driven switch valves you get if you order for example a ballast system with wakemakers).

I just read something about the p&p system MC has as an option (and how it is supposed to work/to be operated) and was wondering why an aftermarket ballast system needs to be hand driven (having in mind that the 3way valves are possibly mounted on the rear of a rear locker where it is not very comfortable to operate them).

Here is the excerpt of the website of wakemakers which brought me to the idea:
"Once the bags are installed, you are ready to go. In order to fill the ballast bags, after the hard tanks are filled find the Plug 'n Play switches and simply move the switch to the right so the indicator light turns from green light (tanks) to a red light (bags). This activates the electronic valve that switches water flow from the hard tanks to the bags. Once red, the bags are ready to fill by selecting the appropriate ballast switch. Please note that the Plug 'n Play switches control the forward and aft systems separately. Pressing and holding the Up button will cause the center tab to retract and then the surf tabs will retract."

http://www.aalborg.com/index.php/main_page/product_overview/id_product_overview/29/PHPSESSID/2cb5d0c67eb4f859de74b6481bc65990

That is just an example...

What do you think?

CantRepeat
01-01-2013, 04:02 PM
For me, $500 for a 12volt valve seems a bit pricy for how many times I use them.

If they could get the price down and make a truly automated system it would be nice.

JRW160
01-01-2013, 06:06 PM
I never understood the purpose of these valves. Why wouldn't you just run the overflow of the factory tanks into the aftermarket bags and avoid the valves altogether?

KahunaCraft
01-01-2013, 06:18 PM
I think eBay has a few more cost efficient models of 3-way 12 volt electric solenoid valves.

CantRepeat
01-01-2013, 06:50 PM
I never understood the purpose of these valves. Why wouldn't you just run the overflow of the factory tanks into the aftermarket bags and avoid the valves altogether?

Well, I use the starboard pump to help fill the starboard surf sac. Rather then add another through hull, pump and switch I just use the valve.

KahunaCraft
01-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Also, there is a point where it is cheaper to just add another pump and thru-hull.

CantRepeat
01-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Also, there is a point where it is cheaper to just add another pump and thru-hull.

I don't see how that can be. Even if you buy the top of the line 3 valve from wakemakers the pumps are at least a 100 bucks more.

edit

Ah, you are talking about the $550 electric valve. I agree, it would be cheaper to add another pump then that valve.

KahunaCraft
01-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Yeah, at 5-600 bucks is what i meant by thru hulls / pump cheaper...seems like there are some pretty expensive valves out there.

JRW160
01-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Well, I use the starboard pump to help fill the starboard surf sac. Rather then add another through hull, pump and switch I just use the valve.
I understand that. I have a manual 3 way valve I use to help fill my bow sac. I was assuming the OP was looking at valves to replace the manual ones that come with the fly high kits and switch the flow from the factory tanks to the additional aftermarket ballast.

CantRepeat
01-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Yeah, it there are a lot of ways to skin this cat.

I'm sure it wont be long before wired valves find their way into ballast systems.

JRW160
01-01-2013, 10:04 PM
One more thing to break

XStar08
01-02-2013, 03:20 AM
What do you mean by "using the puppy to HELP fill additional sacks"?

HELPING for me has the meaning that there is something else which is in this case allready filling the sack...so, are you sometimes filling a sack with two pumps?

Surely the price is the reason why we do not have these valves in the aftermarket kit yet (or why MC's have become so expensive ;-) ).

What would be a nice thing is to have a really wide diameter on the hoses and a strong pump and the ability to choose which sack to be filled with the help of electric valves. Could be faster, don't know but would for sure reduce parts which need maintanance.

I guess it is not a good idea to fill the add. sacks trough the vent of the standard ones because of too much preasure in the already filled ones. I would not feel comfortable if I knew that all the water has to go trough another tank to fill my additional sacks. My two cents.

One more thing to think about when you put the argument of it beeing cheaper to add another trough hull is a possible lower reselling price pf the boat (unless you sell it to somebody who is looking for add. ballast anyway).

XStar08
01-02-2013, 03:22 AM
Oh yes, anybody has bad experience with the manual valves sold by wakemakers since I'm in the process of ordering the fligh high pro upgreade for my x star...

CantRepeat
01-02-2013, 08:10 AM
I have 4 pumps in my boat. 1 for each of the factory hard tanks and one I added to fill the 1400 lb surf sack. I use the valve to directed the starboard pumps water into the surf sack so it cuts the fill/empty times in half.

I've never had nor have I ever heard of anyone having issues with the wakemaker valves.

XStar08
01-02-2013, 11:05 AM
So, just to get it right: for that 1400 sack you are using 2 pumps.

Do you have two inlets or is there just more pressure on that only inlet?

CantRepeat
01-02-2013, 12:26 PM
So, just to get it right: for that 1400 sack you are using 2 pumps.

Do you have two inlets or is there just more pressure on that only inlet?

I added a dedicated through hull for the 4th pump going to the surf sack.

You might find my thread a good read.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=40934

jfw432
01-05-2013, 11:27 AM
You can get much cheaper electric valves than a stepping motor. Those valves are expensive because they are meant to be opened in very small and precise amount. All we really care about is open and closed right? What size valve would you want?

Also, I personally wouldn't be concerned about resale value due to added thru-hull fittings. Anyone who cares won't know if you plugged it and anyone who is buying the boat to use it for what it's designed for will probably be happy that the leg work for extra pumps has already been done. My 2 cents...