PDA

View Full Version : MariStar line gone for '13

BigBarney
12-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Decided to start looking around for a new boat. Went to some local dealers' sites. No MariStar models for 2013. Is that model dropped?

mikeg205
12-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Web sight only shows X and Prostar models now. I believe the V series I bet the V series will re-emerge as an lesser equipped boat like Axis. This is just my opinion based on the quote from the new CEO. It's hard to find a new Prostar these days at most dealers. IMO

willyt
12-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Mariatar has been gone for a long time. If your talking about the V series, yea, that's gone

Jerseydave
12-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Web sight only shows X and Prostar models now. I believe the V series I bet the V series will re-emerge as an lesser equipped boat like Axis. This is just my opinion based on the quote from the new CEO. It's hard to find a new Prostar these days at most dealers. IMO

A lower priced stripped down V-drive would be a sensible idea IMHO.
MC should try to appeal to the Axis/Moomba crowd and that price point to try and get some of that business. Not everyone has $80-90K to spend on a wake boat.

JohnE
12-31-2012, 11:10 AM
As Willy said the Maristar name has been gone for a few years. I think that MC has been trying to come up with a way to bring back some lower priced boats without killing the used market for a while. Hopefully they have figured out how.

02ProstarSammyD
12-31-2012, 12:20 PM
^I have no faith lol.

I think part of the problem is they don't want to make a product that takes away from the glory of the beautiful top of the line Mastercraft name. I keep thinking about what they could remove etc to lower the costs but I'm blanking a bit. I mean obviously ditch the digital gauges along with touchscreens but I doubt they want to mess with diff upholstery etc. I mean we are talking a few grand which to be honest is pissing in the wind in the big scheme of things.

BigBarney
12-31-2012, 01:52 PM
That's a bummer. I'm done with wakeboarding. So I don't need an X series. But I'd like to have a tower for pulling the kids. And the wife wants a bigger boat than our X-30. I haven't looked at a brochure since '06. Didn;t even know the line had been dropped :(

kskonn
12-31-2012, 02:14 PM
That's a bummer. I'm done with wakeboarding. So I don't need an X series. But I'd like to have a tower for pulling the kids. And the wife wants a bigger boat than our X-30. I haven't looked at a brochure since '06. Didn;t even know the line had been dropped :(

Sounds like with those type of requirements you would be fairly limited in your selection either way. Why not a year or two old X45, outside of that I would assume you would be looking at a bay liner or Cobalt of some sort.

BigBarney
01-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Sounds like with those type of requirements you would be fairly limited in your selection either way. Why not a year or two old X45, outside of that I would assume you would be looking at a bay liner or Cobalt of some sort.

Limited with MasterCraft unfortunately.

Started off with a ProStar in '96 when I ski'd quite a bit. Switched to the X30 when wakeboarding was my hobby. Now I'm content to pull around the kids and just chill-ax on the lake. I'd like to do it in style.

This is not how I wanted to start 2013......

JohnE
01-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Limited with MasterCraft unfortunately.

Started off with a ProStar in '96 when I ski'd quite a bit. Switched to the X30 when wakeboarding was my hobby. Now I'm content to pull around the kids and just chill-ax on the lake. I'd like to do it in style.

This is not how I wanted to start 2013......

Why not just buy an X-series?. Little difference between that and the old maristar series anyway since you want a tower.

scott023
01-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Why not just buy an X-series?. Little difference between that and the old maristar series anyway since you want a tower.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Only real difference, after the tower, is the built in ballast.

jafo9
01-01-2013, 12:02 PM
...you would be looking at a bay liner or Cobalt of some sort.

that covers both ends of the I/O spectrum.:)

JohnE
01-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Took the words right out of my mouth. Only real difference, after the tower, is the built in ballast.

At one point some electronics were standard on the X series and optional on the maristar/ prostar but afaik they all would be
the same today. (Not real up to speed on the newest electronics)

I know almost everyone wishes the electronics were optional these days.

GoneBoatN
01-01-2013, 11:14 PM

I thought one of the other differences was the trim on the interior dash, glove box and wheel (maybe other areas too) - had that fake wood grain which I really disliked.

JohnE
01-02-2013, 12:18 PM
I thought one of the other differences was the trim on the interior dash, glove box and wheel (maybe other areas too) - had that fake wood grain which I really disliked.

Yes, a lot of little things which added up to not much IMO. I was talking major (again IMO) differences.

Smitty
01-15-2013, 09:55 PM
I have to say that after being at a major boat show over the past weekend that I'm dissappointed in the direction of MC. The Maristar lineup was centered around family and class. I would have considered it to be the Cadillac of the watersports boats. But the newest lineup of MC boats are ridiculous and gaudy. I felt like the boats were screaming at me. Too much stuff for too little purpose. I see very little in the way of clean and classic taste. I know that the market is leaning to the extreme sports demographic, but you have to give choice to family. And not every family is looking for $20K of unnecessary crap that has the potential of malfunctioning and breaking at a moments notice. What ever happen to having a solid, reliable boat that you would have been proud to hand down to the next generation? Now every boat has a "wrap", tower or a ballast. Sorry, but MC has lost me. I'm proud of my '05 Maristar and I love the fact that it still has style and class without being loud, obnoxious and insufferable.

Someone from MC needs to take a walk over to the Colbalt or Chris Craft display. These are the only boats that still understand form and function combined with class and style. These boats look stylish without being over the top and probably retain their value far better than what MC, CC, or MB does these days. Don't even get me started on CC, because that was just down right bad IMO.

Call me old fashioned, but I come from a day where MC, Ski Supreme, CC, and American Skier set the standard for what water sports boats should be... Reliable, competitive, durable, stylish and legendary. Now, we feel the need to be everything but that... Obnoxious, loud, distasteful, and deplorable. You can have your Xwhatever for all I care. I love my Maristar and covet my Dad's '84 American Skier. I'm sad to see MC make such a poor marketing choice by eliminating the Maristar/V line up. Even if it just was a stripped down X/whatever. It still had class and styling and would be passed down to the next generation.

Maybe today's Xstar funky wraps, colors and graphics will be retro and cool in 30 years. Just like the Centurion "Tru trac II" will be retro never.

Smitty
01-15-2013, 10:34 PM
Maristar Class

CruisinGA
01-15-2013, 10:55 PM
I have to say that after being at a major boat show over the past weekend that I'm dissappointed in the direction of MC. The Maristar lineup was centered around family and class. I would have considered it to be the Cadillac of the watersports boats. But the newest lineup of MC boats are ridiculous and gaudy. I felt like the boats were screaming at me. Too much stuff for too little purpose. I see very little in the way of clean and classic taste. I know that the market is leaning to the extreme sports demographic, but you have to give choice to family. And not every family is looking for $20K of unnecessary crap that has the potential of malfunctioning and breaking at a moments notice. What ever happen to having a solid, reliable boat that you would have been proud to hand down to the next generation? Now every boat has a "wrap", tower or a ballast. Sorry, but MC has lost me. I'm proud of my '05 Maristar and I love the fact that it still has style and class without being loud, obnoxious and insufferable.

Someone from MC needs to take a walk over to the Colbalt or Chris Craft display. These are the only boats that still understand form and function combined with class and style. These boats look stylish without being over the top and probably retain their value far better than what MC, CC, or MB does these days. Don't even get me started on CC, because that was just down right bad IMO.

Call me old fashioned, but I come from a day where MC, Ski Supreme, CC, and American Skier set the standard for what water sports boats should be... Reliable, competitive, durable, stylish and legendary. Now, we feel the need to be everything but that... Obnoxious, loud, distasteful, and deplorable. You can have your Xwhatever for all I care. I love my Maristar and covet my Dad's '84 American Skier. I'm sad to see MC make such a poor marketing choice by eliminating the Maristar/V line up. Even if it just was a stripped down X/whatever. It still had class and styling and would be passed down to the next generation.

Maybe today's Xstar funky wraps, colors and graphics will be retro and cool in 30 years. Just like the Centurion "Tru trac II" will be retro never.

You do know that you don't have to order all the options with a new boat, right?

EricB
01-15-2013, 11:12 PM
Right on Smitty. I also agree with what you are saying.

Hogwild
01-16-2013, 12:01 PM
I have to agree with you smitty. I thought the cheesy graphics on the xstars were a small step in the wrong direction but the new mc boats are going way out there. It reminds me of the 80"s when neon was screaming at your eyes from every direction. Give me simple style and class any day. I wont be able to sell my pimped out graphics boat 10 years from now to anyone not tripping on lsd.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-16-2013, 12:09 PM
I have to agree with you smitty. I thought the cheesy graphics on the xstars were a small step in the wrong direction but the new mc boats are going way out there. It reminds me of the 80"s when neon was screaming at your eyes from every direction. Give me simple style and class any day. I wont be able to sell my pimped out graphics boat 10 years from now to anyone not tripping on lsd.

Makes a person think of orange shag carpet. :rolleyes:

scott023
01-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Yes, a lot of little things which added up to not much IMO. I was talking major (again IMO) differences.

Yes, minor cosmetic differences that don't mean much IMO.

BigBarney
01-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Went to a dealership a couple of weeks ago to look at the new MC's. X55, X35, X25 were all walked through by me, the wife, and kids.

Honest to goodness truth, after almost 1.5 hours, the wife and kids all chose the same boat that they liked the best.....................

It was one of the Cobalts that they had 'visited' by mistake (dealer sales them too)!

Now don't get me wrong, I have over a dozen MC posters in our ski room. Several MC hats and a proud sticker on my truck. I love Mastercraft. I really really really want to stay with them.

But I also will not be blinded by any brand. And the giddy feeling that I had 10 years ago when I got my X30 just wasn't there. Quality is top notch. Performance it there too. But aesthetically, MC is behind.

I don't write this to stir the pot. Just to vent. And keep from crying :(

Hogwild
01-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Went to a dealership a couple of weeks ago to look at the new MC's. X55, X35, X25 were all walked through by me, the wife, and kids.

Honest to goodness truth, after almost 1.5 hours, the wife and kids all chose the same boat that they liked the best.....................

It was one of the Cobalts that they had 'visited' by mistake (dealer sales them too)!

Now don't get me wrong, I have over a dozen MC posters in our ski room. Several MC hats and a proud sticker on my truck. I love Mastercraft. I really really really want to stay with them.

But I also will not be blinded by any brand. And the giddy feeling that I had 10 years ago when I got my X30 just wasn't there. Quality is top notch. Performance it there too. But aesthetically, MC is behind.

I don't write this to stir the pot. Just to vent. And keep from crying :(

I know what you mean. I too love Cobalts. Great quality; classic lines; no unnecessary gadgets. If I could find a 222 or a 226 with a tower for the same price as I got my Maristar for I would probably switch. And I'm saying this after I dreamed of having a Maristar for 15 years.

CruisinGA
01-16-2013, 11:15 PM

I know what you mean. I too love Cobalts. Great quality; classic lines; no unnecessary gadgets. If I could find a 222 or a 226 with a tower for the same price as I got my Maristar for I would probably switch. And I'm saying this after I dreamed of having a Maristar for 15 years.

Cobalts are nice boats for sure. I like them a lot
But when it comes to any kind of watersport.... They are another I/O.

jakethebt
01-16-2013, 11:29 PM
At one point some electronics were standard on the X series and optional on the maristar/ prostar but afaik they all would be
the same today. (Not real up to speed on the newest electronics)

I know almost everyone wishes the electronics were optional these days.

Why is this so hard for the mfg to figure out? It is like "If we dont have touch screens then we suck." Maybe a cheaper version of the MC line will come along and shock the heck out of the marketing dept... of course they will dismiss it and say it sells more because it is cheaper, which would be true but many may choose because it is simple.

You could take a 351W and fuel inject it... drop that in a nice looking hull and interior with MC quality and it would sell... Look at how many extra parts are on the 214 compared to a '93 S&S... there are brackets and covers, sensors...

Smitty
01-16-2013, 11:45 PM
Cobalts are nice boats for sure. I like them a lot
But when it comes to any kind of watersport.... They are another I/O.

You just don't get it. Not everyone in this market is looking for a tripped out wake boat with skull graphics and 10K lbs of ballast. Many of us are here because we know that the integrity of the MC product is generally superior from companies like Colbalt and that we trust in a product that comes from generations of quality engineering and craftmanship. We pay the extra price for product that is going to be reliable and trustworthy. But, the trend inside of MC, and most other watersports boat builders, is to cater to a demographic that drinks diet Mountain Dew, has a Red Bull tattoo, and thinks that Bruce Jenner is famous for being Kim Kardashian's creepy dad.

All we are looking for is a little class. And MC has lost that. I know how the other guy feels when you take the family to look at boats and they don't like the MC. My wife and kids were drooling over the new 2013 20' Chris Craft and my son was asking when we were going to trade the Maristar in. I was floored! Even a 13 yr. old knows what style and class looks like. Leather wrapped dash board, clean lines, LUXURY appointments. It's the difference between owning a Cadillac that will have years of style, and owning a Camaro that was made to look like a Transformer.

mikeg205
01-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Good point jake, after looking at some of the competitive boats I can't see why MC would appear to be abandoning a segment of the market that would pay for a new boat if was $40K. I don't see that model cannibalizing sales at the high end...unless factory capacity could not handle it. Saw some nice competitive boats that had less bells and whistles which would have to be considered. Anyway, we don't have all the inputs that are being used to drive the development of the MC lineup. It will be interesting to see it unfold.

02ProstarSammyD
01-17-2013, 08:44 AM
Good point jake, after looking at some of the competitive boats I can't see why MC would appear to be abandoning a segment of the market that would pay for a new boat if was $40K. I don't see that model cannibalizing sales at the high end...unless factory capacity could not handle it. Saw some nice competitive boats that had less bells and whistles which would have to be considered. Anyway, we don't have all the inputs that are being used to drive the development of the MC lineup. It will be interesting to see it unfold.

Rich people wouldn't want to own a benz if everybody could afford one. Hate to say it but it all sounds like MC trying to stay as a "premium boat". They could make a cheaper boat all day long but it'd be like lexus coming out with a yaris.

02ProstarSammyD
01-17-2013, 09:23 AM
BTW checked on something

I can go get a handful of brand new 22' boats ready to roll for what I can but a 7 year old x15.

I mean I'm not trying to be a snot here but the cheapest x15 (not ss) on OI is like 50k and 7 years old haha. I can go buy a new boat with a warranty for that kind of $$$. At that point MC won't even sell us new skins for the boats!

mikeg205
01-17-2013, 09:28 AM
02pro - you are so correct. I had a nice discussion with the folks in the MC booth. However, they could do something to take a chunk out of the Tahoe type segment - possibly a new brand like Axis. Lexus did come come out with the Yaris. When I was in Japan I saw all the Lexus models (many years ago now) as Toyota :)

Segmentation good bring them some more revenue ....I don't have enough info to make an educated assessment of what it would take for them to introduce a new brand like Malibu did with Axis. But not enough market data to see if they are really missing out on an opportunity.

Anyway I love the MC's gadgets and all...This topic comes up every year here in the winter. I would love to buy new - that being said I need to make changes to get to that segment of the MC new buyer demographic :) - I so enjoyed the X-25 and PS pictured below.... I want both :) :) :D...or a friend with an new X-25 and I get the PS214 :D -

XStar08
01-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Smitty, understand what is your point. That is why I choose to go with an 08 Star (as a wakeboarder I think I need exactly what it has onboard, not more), if I where a skier I would go with a classy PS 197. But the majority of the folks out there seems to look at bling (I heard that 90% of the buyers of X Stars don't really know how to wakeboard).

As I understood the Maristar lineup was the basic, classy hull. In example the Maristar 210. If you wanted more features/bling than you would choose to go with an X10 (result was to get a non optimal hull for wakeboarding (but for surfing) with all the bling that would make turn the heads of non informed people.
How they handle it today I don't know, guess it is about just choosing the right options for what your needs are.

Just as a side comment: I don't think that MC is any better re quality than other US hand made manufacturers out there as you point it out. You seem to have well studied their marketing proposals. In my point of view MC is leading re design and style, CC is better in quality and well tested products (but you can't look at them, only with darc sunglasses :D)

Hand made in US seems to be (in my point of view) more a downside than something they should marketing on. Unfortunately they have not enough quantity that it would be worth to install an automated production with much better tolerances and steadyness in terms of production. I remember when I installed a Monster Tower on my Prostar 190 '91, I was measuring inside the hull to get the mounting points for the tower, I was really shocked how uneaven the hull was produced, you can't see it, but by measuring exactly, you will discover some surprises...

XStar08
01-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Yep, 02 Pro, but let's check the prices of '12 models in a couple years, I bet they will be lower than the ones of older year models...due to people knowing that they will buy lots of troubles with the boat because of zhe electronics that suck...

I don't think that thread should be turned into "you don't like the new bling because you cannot aford it"...

The good thing: someone seems to got motivated to really do everything possible to change into a certain class to be able to buy new and that is what the economy needs: people doing their best to fulfill their dreams. I think that is what it is all about, the industry needs to reinvent the weel year by year to get the necessary sales, what would happen if everyone would stay whit it's 20 year old boat?

02ProstarSammyD
01-17-2013, 09:56 AM
02pro - you are so correct. I had a nice discussion with the folks in the MC booth. However, they could do something to take a chunk out of the Tahoe type segment - possibly a new brand like Axis. Lexus did come come out with the Yaris. When I was in Japan I saw all the Lexus models (many years ago now) as Toyota

No doubt. Axis/malibu, lexus/toyota are great examples of what to do. I agree 100% with that and maybe they will go that direction.

Here's what bothers me more than anything. I spend 3k on interior on my boat and have a fully functional PS that looks as good as the one in the pic. Sure I have 500 more hours on it but everything works perfect...................and its well below my price range.

Then I look at the 25. God I would love a Vdrive MC. If I went to buy that boat and traded mine in I'm still writing a 100k check. EXCUSE ME? I understand that the 25 is tits but you aren't getting into a 22' mc for less than both baby makers, my first born, and an indecent proposal. Heck I'd have to sell my busted liver just to get some fender holders while I was picking my options.

Point being that you can go get an older MC ski boat, throw some new skins in it and boom you have a new to you boat. When you want a v drive the options suck! You are looking at 35-40k for anything that resembles modern style and its going to be a 7-10 year old boat. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I'm not saying an Axis is perfect and quite frankly I think some parts of them look like cheap chit but there's a few options at 40-50k. Malibu is shooting 45-50k boats off the line don't see why mc can't. I'M SICK OF HUMPING THE HUMP MC! Get me an affordable Vdrive now!

Dear MC,
I'm going to the boat show in a month. As a loyal customer I expect an answer by then or I'm gonna start slumming with the girls that put out.

Yep, 02 Pro, but let's check the prices of '12 models in a couple years, I bet they will be lower than the ones of older year models...due to people knowing that they will buy lots of troubles with the boat because of zhe electronics that suck...

LOL thanks for that. Hey the 100k+ boats will depreciate more b/c people know they have problems. OMFG I'm on the floor laughing. Maybe I'm completely out of place in saying what I've said on this board and I'm sure MC doesn't appreciate my opinion but I really don't care. I'm brand loyal but my wallet isn't. At some point soon I'm gonna buy a new boat and traditionally my wallet wins the argument over what I buy. I can't see a touch screen 70' behind the boat!

I think that is what it is all about, the industry needs to reinvent the weel year by year to get the necessary sales, what would happen if everyone would stay whit it's 20 year old boat?
BINGO! The economy is not getting better no matter what Obama says. Sales have got to be hurting with these kind of % jumps in price.

snork
01-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Axis is not a $100k boat but its not less than $60k anymore either

mikeg205
01-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Just as a side comment: I don't think that MC is any better re quality than other US hand made manufacturers out there as you point it out. You seem to have well studied their marketing proposals. In my point of view MC is leading re design and style, CC is better in quality and well tested products (but you can't look at them, only with darc sunglasses :D)

When boating I mostly see older MC, CC's and BU's in that order on my waterways. I do believe there is quality difference. I have yet to see a 5 year old Tahoe on the water. I have a friend with a 10 year old Rinker...and it looks old...runs well(mercruiser) - not used much. But the Gel and interior not as nice shape as my MC. Major difference I noted is when bouncing on waves...lot's of flex and rattle on rinker... and I flex and rattle on my MC PS ;)

We'll see what the new CEO does... hey a new X-25 only costs $527 month with a 5% rate...I'll let you all calculate the term :).

Remember it's a boat... here's a 65K Pontoon...lol... models not included... and actually talent better on our swim suit thread.

"Please remember posting guidelines when posting on this thread..."

willyt
01-17-2013, 10:20 AM
(I heard that 90% of the buyers of X Stars don't really know how to wakeboard).

whats wakeboarding?

02ProstarSammyD
01-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Axis is not a $100k boat but its not less than $60k anymore either
Calling bs on that. You aren't getting loaded for less than 60 but you'll be on the water. Also please see sanger, moomba, mb

My company agrees that I shouldn't even look at moomba though

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s521/williamburell/nodice_zpscd13cc53.jpg

When boating I mostly see older MC, CC's and BU's in that order on my waterways. I do believe there is quality difference.
All the early 2000 MC's look great b/c the interiors have all been replaced lol. I agree that these 3 are the best in build quality. I see alot of older moombas and tiges on the water and most look crappy but it seems both have stepped up their games exponentially in product quality. By no means is it apples to apples but they are getting better

We'll see what the new CEO does... hey a new X-25 only costs $527 month with a 5% rate...I'll let you all calculate the term .
I'm guessing either you or the boat dies before the terms end haha

mikeg205
01-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Dear MC,
I'm going to the boat show in a month. As a loyal customer I expect an answer by then or I'm gonna start slumming with the girls that put out.

LOL thanks for that. Hey the 100k+ boats will depreciate more b/c people know they have problems. OMFG I'm on the floor laughing. Maybe I'm completely out of place in saying what I've said on this board and I'm sure MC doesn't appreciate my opinion but I really don't care. I'm brand loyal but my wallet isn't. At some point soon I'm gonna buy a new boat and traditionally my wallet wins the argument over what I buy. I can't see a touch screen 70' behind the boat!

BINGO! The economy is not getting better no matter what Obama says. Sales have got to be hurting with these kind of % jumps in price.

Obviously MC not marketing to us who don't fit the demo graphics and segments they are targeting. There are many players out there and if you're shopping with your wallet you will make different choices.

For a skiing purist like me -- for now... Most of us can refit and re-power our ladies for a fraction of the cost of new. I am not competing in slalom or wake..so all I need is a nice hull, a driver and motor... :D (yes a spotter too...)

FWIW.....At least I was not snubbed in the MC booth like I was in the Chris Craft booth when I wanted to talk about the Lancer 20. $60K boat. I asked the rep to tell me about the Lancer - he wasn't talking with anyone else booth was empty...His words.. - "yeah it's over there... all the info you need is on the tag..."

The guys at Chicago MC were great even though I was not buying.

02ProstarSammyD
01-17-2013, 10:40 AM
For a skiing purist like me -- for now... Most of us can refit and re-power our ladies for a fraction of the cost of new. I am not competing in slalom or wake..so all I need is a nice hull, a driver and motor... (yes a spotter too...)
Kind of my point though. Not to be too stereotypical here but traditionally the ski guys have a few years on them.....the options are endless for cheaper boats. Usually the older guys have saved the $ and become more financially stable than the younger demographic who wants to wakeboard/surf. I'm in the middle b/c I couldn't afford an MC til I was 25/26 and it was an older ps. Seems to me every company would be gunning for the younger crowd. Who are your brand loyal fanboys gonna be for the next 30 years? Entry level is how you hook someone. If you are young and can afford 100k go for it. I hate you and I hope you stump your toe but I just don't see that demographic being as large.

mikeg205
01-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Demographic that has 8-10 million net worth has the cash. The segment has enough $$$ and buys these new. Couple folks on this forum buy new every year and good for them. When I hit the river the people driving the new MC's, CC's and BU's are younger. Also a ton of Tahoe's being sold as well. ..

You're point well taken - but if you can get the loan on the X-25 you need another boat for 20 years... ;)

MC is not mass producing - a couple of thousand boats for an international market - they are there...but agree industry has taken a big whack.

02ProstarSammyD
01-17-2013, 10:54 AM
From the new man upstairs

"We're reviewing our product-development process. We will gather input up front that will allow us to develop the right product at the right price and the right time," he said.

The effort involves partnering with key suppliers and continual management of quality though defect measurement and other factors, he said.

MasterCraft is currently producing about 1,800 boats per year, the company plans to increase production to 1,900 boats per year.

Marketing also is key to McNew's strategy.

MasterCraft is taking aim at the water-sports market, including wakeboarding and wakesurfing, two of the fastest-growing segments. The company is under contract with 16 of the world's top water-sports athletes and has introduced its new X-30 and X-10 series of boats to serve the growing market, he said.

Other opportunities include the high end of the family boat market.

At the same time, the company will introduce lower-cost boats that build on MasterCraft's brand-name recognition as a supplier of high-quality boats.

"We will be like the Mercedes C-class of boats," McNew said.

While some competitors have introduced low-cost boat lines under new brand names, McNew believes the MasterCraft brand will deliver value even for cost-conscious customers.

"Even if we are five to seven thousand (dollars) above the others, they will still pick us," he said.

I guess we'll all see. And while I don't disagree with you on the "needing a new boat for 20 years if you buy a new 25" think about the interest you are spending on top of that 125k. Think I just got sick

I mean seriously?

Loan duration 20.00 years
Principal due $.00
Principal paid $125,000.00
Down payment $25,000.00

The total cost on a loan with a principle of 100000, a total of 240 monthly payments, and a yearly interest rate of 5% is:
$158,389.38

only 58 in interest. not bad haha

mikeg205
01-17-2013, 11:10 AM
From the new man upstairs

I guess we'll all see. And while I don't disagree with you on the "needing a new boat for 20 years if you buy a new 25" think about the interest you are spending on top of that 125k. Think I just got sick

I mean seriously?

Loan duration 20.00 years
Principal due $.00
Principal paid $125,000.00
Down payment $25,000.00

The total cost on a loan with a principle of 100000, a total of 240 monthly payments, and a yearly interest rate of 5% is:
$158,389.38

only 58 in interest. not bad haha

But the experience is you know.....priceless :)

1800 boats per year - not sure what dealer cost is but let's say it's 35% of list. If MC could sell a boat to dealers for an average of $70K their revenue is only $126 million (using those numbers). Not a lot of money to do what they do. Then start subtracting taxes, warranty, payroll, and other non-cost of goods stuff. Home run type strategy.... very hot seats for that brand.

02ProstarSammyD
01-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Then start subtracting taxes, warranty, payroll, and other non-cost of goods stuff. Home run type strategy.... very hot seats for that brand.

Stop putting electronic crap in the boats that doesn't work and you cut down on warranty. Theres a smart alick answer for everything isn't there. I'm just grumpy......ignore me

But the experience is you know.....priceless
I think I would compare that to a strip club. Fun experience but you leave feeling dirty and broke.

mikeg205
01-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Stop putting electronic crap in the boats that doesn't work and you cut down on warranty. Theres a smart alick answer for everything isn't there. I'm just grumpy......ignore me

I think I would compare that to a strip club. Fun experience but you leave feeling dirty and broke.

great response... :)

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

bkblaida
01-17-2013, 09:08 PM
The PS 197 on display at the Chicago boat show stickered out at $72,000.......For those of us that live in the midwest that is a lot of money for a toy that will sit in storage 6-7 months / year. Obviously there are 1,800 people per year who can afford to pay this or more as MC sells this many units. However I do not see the price/value relationship for the new Mastercrafts. Love my 97 PS205....would really love a new MC or any of the top 3 tow boats but not at these prices.

mikeg205
01-18-2013, 12:10 AM
The PS 197 on display at the Chicago boat show stickered out at $72,000.......For those of us that live in the midwest that is a lot of money for a toy that will sit in storage 6-7 months / year. Obviously there are 1,800 people per year who can afford to pay this or more as MC sells this many units. However I do not see the price/value relationship for the new Mastercrafts. Love my 97 PS205....would really love a new MC or any of the top 3 tow boats but not at these prices.

Yup you are right..need a tow..always looking for new friends... :)