PDA

View Full Version : No AR-15 anywhere

Pages : [1] 2

blakehardesty
12-26-2012, 03:11 PM
I cant fine one anywhere... Anybody know where I can get one?

BrooksfamX2
12-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Prices are going nutz right now.

Yankee Hill still has them on their site. Their prices just went up today.

www.yhm.net

clrussell
12-26-2012, 04:12 PM
I might know a guy.. Might not do you any good considering I'm in southern mo

Tapatalk

malibu-dale
12-26-2012, 04:26 PM
gunbroker.com had plenty for sale when I looked over the weekend. Prices are definately up right now.

JimN
12-26-2012, 04:35 PM
I cant fine one anywhere... Anybody know where I can get one?

Build one. Go to gun shows and collect parts, mags, etc.

2RLAKE
12-26-2012, 08:50 PM
I can't find a colt 6929 anywhere near Cincinnati ... Try gunbroker.com

Bouyhead
12-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Heard gun sales are going thru the roof since all the politicians(liars&whores) are jumping up and down about gun control.

mikeg205
12-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Oddly there was an assault weapon ban in place in CT. only grandfathered weapons had to be purchased prior to 1993.

JimN
12-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Oddly there was an assault weapon ban in place in CT. only grandfathered weapons had to be purchased prior to 1993.

And this was caused by his mother not securing the weapons when she knew dam well he had problems. He was considered to be very intelligent and that means she should have taken more precautions. If he couldn't have gotten a Bushmaster, he could very well have used a shotgun, 30-06, .308, SKS or any other hunting rifle.

I'd like to hear the gun control crowd tell me the name of the last sane person to go on a shooting rampage.

mikeg205
12-26-2012, 10:25 PM
And this was caused by his mother not securing the weapons when she knew dam well he had problems. He was considered to be very intelligent and that means she should have taken more precautions. If he couldn't have gotten a Bushmaster, he could very well have used a shotgun, 30-06, .308, SKS or any other hunting rifle.

I'd like to hear the gun control crowd tell me the name of the last sane person to go on a shooting rampage.

+1 JimN

JimN
12-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Heard gun sales are going thru the roof since all the politicians(liars&whores) are jumping up and down about gun control.

I called Bud's last week and they had 1400 M&P 9mm in stock and tonight, they're out of almost everything.

I sure wish someone would talk about banning the stuff I sell, so my sales could go through the roof.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-27-2012, 12:19 AM
I called Bud's last week and they had 1400 M&P 9mm in stock and tonight, they're out of almost everything.

I sure wish someone would talk about banning the stuff I sell, so my sales could go through the roof.

I'm with you on that.:rolleyes:

thatsmrmastercraft
12-27-2012, 12:20 AM

You hit the nail on the head!!!

blakehardesty
12-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Prices are going nutz right now.

Yankee Hill still has them on their site. Their prices just went up today.

www.yhm.net

Everything on there says dealer only. My dealer here in town told me yesterday that he would have some colt 6920 in today. I asked how much I needed to bring and all he told me was LOTS. I said, $2,000 lots? All he kept saying was bring LOTS.

BrooksfamX2
12-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Thinking of getting this one............. 7.62/.308

http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_23_37&products_id=191

My friend is a dealer and I can get a small break on the price.

captain planet
12-27-2012, 01:41 PM

Just like my father in law says, "I've never come home to find my guns going off in their safe by themselves."

JimN
12-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Just like my father in law says, "I've never come home to find my guns going off in their safe by themselves."

Obviously, they would do her no good for protection if they were off-site but by keeping them in the home, where he knew the location and how to get them, she is very much to blame. She was the victim of her own complacency.

I commented that sane people don't do this, but 'people who don't understand why this is wrong' aren't necessarily insane. It hasn't been said if he was schitzophrenic, if he had other violent tendencies or if he was a siciopath/psychopath, but Asperger's doesn't usually cause this. However, it does show up as the person not knowing/understanding boundaries, not communicating well with others, not making eye contact and taking things said/done in ways that weren't originally intended. It also frequently includes the person imagining all kinds of "what if" situations.

According to one person who said he was Adam's sitter, he was told by the mom that he shouldn't turn his back on Adam for any length of time. That tells me he should have been on some kind of meds or under constant care, not left with a sitter.

BrooksfamX2
12-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Theres another thread here to talk about this stuff...just sayin.....:o

This is one is about procuring hardware.... ;)

Sierra Tango II
12-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Build one. Go to gun shows and collect parts, mags, etc.

I second this. Parts are pretty reasonable and readily available at shows, plus you can always haggle and trade at the shows.

captain planet
12-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Theres another thread here to talk about this stuff...just sayin.....:o

This is one is about procuring hardware.... ;)

There is a local sporting goods store near me that has 3 of them....as of Monday. The way things are going, they have probably sold.

homer12
12-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Check out the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife show at the state fairgrounds. 1/18-1/20. www.indy1500.com should be able to find any parts, complete rifles whatever there. Maybe room to negotiate with all that will be there.

BrooksfamX2
12-28-2012, 03:37 PM
I second this. Parts are pretty reasonable and readily available at shows, plus you can always haggle and trade at the shows.

That may not be the case now...:(

Just ordered this one....

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=548

ncsone
12-28-2012, 03:41 PM
That may not be the case now...:(

Just ordered this one....

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=548

I have a RRA lower w/ the two stage target trigger and it is a nice piece of hardware. That operator is a great one to get.

DemolitionMan
01-02-2013, 08:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84ptFVq22PY

MC209
01-04-2013, 04:40 PM

Sent from my bada$$ iPhone 5 using Tapatalk!

MC209
01-04-2013, 04:41 PM
My new toys

Sent from my bada$$ iPhone 5 using Tapatalk!

BrooksfamX2
01-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Nice!

onejdgreen
01-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Extremely Jealous! I can't find an AR anywhere in the state of Minnesota! Where did you get them?

02ProstarSammyD
01-07-2013, 01:26 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/BiggBore/ARdeckedout.jpg

wet dream

JimN
01-07-2013, 02:20 PM
I had one of these when I was a kid- does that count?

thatsmrmastercraft
01-07-2013, 02:28 PM
I had one of these when I was a kid- does that count?

My older brother had one........still has it in fact. They don't make toys like that anymore.

JimN
01-07-2013, 02:30 PM
My older brother had one........still has it in fact. They don't make toys like that anymore.

How many of the white bullets are left? I think it came with 8. They hurt.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-07-2013, 06:36 PM
How many of the white bullets are left? I think it came with 8. They hurt.

I think 4. And yes they did sting a little. Still shoots the grenade and rocket.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-07-2013, 06:39 PM
They go for a lot less than I would have thought.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=johnny+seven+toy&_sacat=0&_odkw=johnny+7+toy&_osacat=0&_from=R40

JimN
01-07-2013, 08:14 PM
I think 4. And yes they did sting a little. Still shoots the grenade and rocket.

Does the pistol still disengage and shoot?

thatsmrmastercraft
01-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Does the pistol still disengage and shoot?

Indeed it does.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-09-2013, 01:10 PM
The rules of a gunfight:

Some words to the wise….

Shooting Advice from various Concealed Carry Instructors:

If you own a gun, you will appreciate this..

If not, you should get one and learn how to use it:

A: Guns have only two enemies - rust and politicians.

B: It's always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

C: Cops carry guns to protect themselves, not you.

D: Never let someone or something that threatens you get within your arm’s length.

E: Never say "I've got a gun." If you need to use deadly force, the first sound they hear should be the safety clicking off.

F: The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, the response time of a .357 is1400 feet per second.

G: The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win – cheat if necessary.

H: Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets . . . You may get killed with your own gun, but he'll have to beat you to death with it, cause it'll be empty.

If you're in a gun fight:
1. If you're not shooting, you should be loading.
2. If you're not loading, you should be movin,
3. If you're not movin', you're dead.

J: In a life and death situation, do something . . . It may be wrong, but do something!

K: If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense!
If you have a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

L: You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or any other word, but a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much a universal language.

M: Forget the save the planet nonsense, it doesn't need saving, but you may be able to save yourself and your family.

clrussell
01-09-2013, 02:09 PM
I literally just had everyone in the shop looking at me for laughing.. over the universal language lol

Tapatalk

blakehardesty
01-09-2013, 02:49 PM
I ended up getting a Colt LE6920. I ended up buying it off a guy i know who has 4 of them and this one was never shot. Boy did I get lucky!

Moosecrackers
01-09-2013, 09:29 PM
I ended up getting a Colt LE6920. I ended up buying it off a guy i know who has 4 of them and this one was never shot. Boy did I get lucky!

The LE6920 is a nice weapon. Now you can join the rest of us in the "great ammo search" of 2013. :)

MC

GT500 MC
01-09-2013, 10:41 PM
The LE6920 is a nice weapon. Now you can join the rest of us in the "great ammo search" of 2013. :)

MC

No kidding on the ammo search. However, it seems to be getting better in the past 4-5 days. Been finding some items on shelves now.

onejdgreen
02-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Was finally able to find another one in MN! Also found ammo for it which was an even bigger suprise!!

76S&S
02-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Nice, what brand and what scope?

O2BESOHUGE
02-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Gunbroker.com Has Them But You May Pay More For It.

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=AR-15

I Just Got One Last Week. A Sig Sauer M400 Ar-15 .223/.556

THEY ARE OUT THERE, JUST DEPENDS ON HOW BAD YOU WANT ONE! HERES A PIC OF MINE RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!

O2BESOHUGE
02-08-2013, 09:46 AM
Ammo Is Plenty Here In Alabama, Big Shipment Came In $59 For 100 Rounds .556. Limit 5 Per Customer Though

maristardd
02-08-2013, 11:13 AM
From Nor Cal - our local guns shops have the rifles trickling in a few at a time (CA models), they're working down their 'wait lists'. But for instance, no one on the list wanted a target Colt (with heavy barrel), that made it do the wall. Not sure how long it lasted. On ammo Bass Pro has been getting 223 every few days (at least three times last 2 weeks), usually limit 10 when its in.

... if any NorCal TeamTalk folks are in desperate need of .223 or .22LR (FTF only), I probably have some extra I could spare, PM me.

onejdgreen
02-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Nice, what brand and what scope?

Windham Weaponery. Tru-Glow Extreme 4x32mm. Should be perfect for shooting coyotes out the backdoor! Atleast better than the 30-06 or .270, neighbors don't like that...

SkiDog
02-08-2013, 04:37 PM

I'd like for these idiots to tell me the last time that one of these people that went on a shooting rampage was something other than a democrat or supported the liberal ways!

#1-Ft Hood: Registered Democrat/Muslim.
#2-Columbine: Too young to vote; both families were registered Democrats and progressive liberals.
#3-Virginia Tech: Wrote hate mail to President Bush and to his staff; …Registered Democrat.
#4-Colorado Theater: Registered Democrat; staff worker on the Obama campaign; Occupy Wall Street participant; progressive liberal.
#5-Connecticut School Shooter: Registered Democrat; hated Christians.
Common thread is that all of these shooters were progressive liberal Democrats. Also, of the worst killings in the last several decades, only one was a female, all the rest were boys, barely men, and none of them had a strong male father or role model in the household. Their role models were rappers, action movies, comics and violent video games. Our problem isnt weapons, its boys without boundaries. Who live in progressive households.

2RLAKE
02-08-2013, 09:43 PM
i picked up a custom DPMS 20" from a friend of mine last weekend ... went to the gunshow and stocked up on a few thousand more rounds of ammo .... prices were very descent at the show .... S&W MP15 for $1400-1500 .... Sig Sauer M4s for $1600 ....

2RLAKE
02-08-2013, 09:44 PM
Windham Weaponery. Tru-Glow Extreme 4x32mm. Should be perfect for shooting coyotes out the backdoor! Atleast better than the 30-06 or .270, neighbors don't like that...

... or mount that on the beautiful X7!!!

Moosecrackers
02-09-2013, 11:23 PM
I'd like for these idiots to tell me the last time that one of these people that went on a shooting rampage was something other than a democrat or supported the liberal ways!

#2-Columbine: Too young to vote; both families were registered Democrats and progressive liberals.
#3-Virginia Tech: Wrote hate mail to President Bush and to his staff; …Registered Democrat.
#4-Colorado Theater: Registered Democrat; staff worker on the Obama campaign; Occupy Wall Street participant; progressive liberal.
Common thread is that all of these shooters were progressive liberal Democrats. Also, of the worst killings in the last several decades, only one was a female, all the rest were boys, barely men, and none of them had a strong male father or role model in the household. Their role models were rappers, action movies, comics and violent video games. Our problem isnt weapons, its boys without boundaries. Who live in progressive households.

Well said, SkiDog. The fact that the traditional family unit has crumbled and many young men have no role model is taking society down the drain. I especially like your comment about boys without boundaries.

nickespi
02-10-2013, 10:46 AM
I ordered 2 5.56mm 80% lowers and 2 7.62mm 80% lowers from aresarmor.com a few weeks ago. Cost a whopping $570. Best part of this, they're 80 percenters and aren't considered guns. No number trail.

JimN
02-10-2013, 11:55 AM
I ordered 2 5.56mm 80% lowers and 2 7.62mm 80% lowers from aresarmor.com a few weeks ago. Cost a whopping $570. Best part of this, they're 80 percenters and aren't considered guns. No number trail.

And, now that you posted this, your purchase can be traced, if needed.

nickespi
02-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Traced to what? They're unstamped lowers??? And anyone's purchase can be traced...

orbeamlb
02-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Well said, SkiDog. The fact that the traditional family unit has crumbled and many young men have no role model is taking society down the drain. I especially like your comment about boys without boundaries.

Great points Gents. You won't see that info reported by the media seeing it doesn't fit their adgenda.

Unfortunately everything but the traditional family unit is heralded as the norm now.

fskof
02-10-2013, 02:44 PM

Wow great info SkiDog! Can I ask where you got that info from because I like to send it to my ultra liberal anti gun anti freedom neighbor of mine....

ski/hunt
02-12-2013, 01:31 AM
HELP me out here fellas. I'm not educated on these guns and I'm sure at this point In time prices are crazy....

Dpms 223 truglo (not sure which model) 5 magazines-soft and hard case 500 rounds ammo-----says only about 40 rounds through it so far....
1300.00$$.
Is that a decent deal at our current state of "gun craziness"????89917

JimN
02-12-2013, 05:47 AM
HELP me out here fellas. I'm not educated on these guns and I'm sure at this point In time prices are crazy....

Dpms 223 truglo (not sure which model) 5 magazines-soft and hard case 500 rounds ammo-----says only about 40 rounds through it so far....
1300.00$$.

The prices are just the result of supply and demand.

clrussell
02-12-2013, 07:19 AM

1300.00$$.

I wouldn't pass that deal if it was me, just because I see money to be made right after sale.. I saw a few of those 30 round mags bring 100 a piece just the other day, so there's part of your money back.. That actually seems like a pretty good deal, it was good deal before all this craziness.. Buy it and sell it for more than you have in it because someone will pay for it, or buy it and enjoy it

Tapatalk

O2BESOHUGE
02-12-2013, 12:37 PM

1300.00$$.

THAT IS A STEAL!!

$50-$100 OR MORE FOR EACH MAGAZINE
$$ FOR THE SIGHT
$1300-$3000 FOR THE RIFLE ALONE NOW
$60-$75 FOR THE 100 ROUNDS OF AMMO

JUMP ON IT!!

I JUST PAID $1600 FOR RIFLE ALONE..

BrooksfamX2
02-12-2013, 01:46 PM
I just got 5 metal 30 rnd mags for $15 each. Maybe I should sell them for $100 each now........ :rolleyes:

O2BESOHUGE
02-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Magpul 30 Round Magazines Are The Hot Things Now

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-12-2013, 05:39 PM
I just got 5 metal 30 rnd mags for $15 each. Maybe I should sell them for $100 each now........ :rolleyes:

or you can share where you bought from...;)

BrooksfamX2
02-12-2013, 05:46 PM
or you can share where you bought from...;)

I actually dont know where they were purchased. I got them from a dealer freind and didn't ask. I know he paid less than that for them though.

stuartmcnair
02-13-2013, 12:01 PM
how many mags are enough? No idea...but I want more...

TN Barefooter
02-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Too many magazines is never enough. It amazes me how the prices on AR's have gone out the roof. The last three I bought five years ago I got for $475.00 each. made by Double Star.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83/CesarG_album/photobucket-1484-1360769207673_zps52b6b8e5.jpg

TN Barefooter
02-13-2013, 12:12 PM
I left out the part that I purchased (3) for $475.00 a piece. They came in a kit and all I had to do was assemble them. Now people are paying upwards of a $1,250.00 for the same rifle.

JimN
02-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Too many magazines is never enough. It amazes me how the prices on AR's have gone out the roof. The last three I bought five years ago I got for $475.00 each. made by Double Star.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83/CesarG_album/photobucket-1484-1360769207673_zps52b6b8e5.jpg

You're amazed by the price increase? Have you NOT been watching what's going on? How could prices possibly stay the same?

TN Barefooter
02-13-2013, 02:40 PM
JimN take it easy, it's still amazing how quickly prices shoot thru the roof when something likes this occurs. We went thru the same thing when Clinton was in office. You couldn't find a high capacity magazine anywhere. I just can't see paying the crazy prices that the AR's and all other weapons are bringing right now. A 30 round AR magazine that is regularly priced at $15.00 is now bringing upwards of $100.00, that's insane.

psychobilly
02-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Obama has made gun salesman of the year yet once again! I can remember 4 years ago I couldn't find any powder or primers so I back ordered from several places. Glad I did too now as they finally came in and now I'm stocked up!

TN Barefooter
02-13-2013, 06:55 PM
The sad part about is that the working man or woman can't afford to buy what they need because of some kooks in DC.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-14-2013, 04:32 PM
LGS has new armalite AR-10 A4 .308/7.62 for $1575 which is MSRP, worth getting?

jeff shelton
02-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Definately wish that I would have bought a couple in the past but I don't really know much about them. After reading several reviews I plan to buy a few Smith and Wesson M&P AR-15 Sport models. The sport model has a different barrel and doesn't have the dust cover. A local shop sells them for $675, so once everything calms down and they are available I plan to get them. Based on price and reviews they seem to be a good platform to start with and I can make the upgrades that I want once I'm more familar with the AR.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Definately wish that I would have bought a couple in the past but I don't really know much about them. After reading several reviews I plan to buy a few Smith and Wesson M&P AR-15 Sport models. The sport model has a different barrel and doesn't have the dust cover. A local shop sells them for $675, so once everything calms down and they are available I plan to get them. Based on price and reviews they seem to be a good platform to start with and I can make the upgrades that I want once I'm more familar with the AR.

About then, the used market on these should be pretty good.

jeff shelton
02-14-2013, 05:10 PM
About then, the used market on these should be pretty good.

Are you familar with this model?

I've only read a couple reviews in magazines and watched a couple on youtube. I think the only difference in the barrel is how it is coated but not 100%.

Is it a good platform to start with? I don't plan to be doing alot of shooting. Just wanted to purchase a few before we can't, just to have them.

I would like to get one and set it up for coyote hunting. I may purchase a different brand or model for hunting.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Are you familar with this model?

I've only read a couple reviews in magazines and watched a couple on youtube. I think the only difference in the barrel is how it is coated but not 100%.

Is it a good platform to start with? I don't plan to be doing alot of shooting. Just wanted to purchase a few before we can't, just to have them.

I would like to get one and set it up for coyote hunting. I may purchase a different brand or model for hunting.

Not an expert on these. This one does sound interesting though.

TN Barefooter
02-14-2013, 07:43 PM
LGS has new armalite AR-10 A4 .308/7.62 for $1575 which is MSRP, worth getting?

That's about an average price of what that particular rifle is bringing. Check on the cost of the ammunition as well. Good luck.

ski/hunt
02-15-2013, 01:30 PM

I'd travel far to see that!!

jakethebt
03-26-2013, 12:20 PM
I might know a guy if any of you are still in the market. ;o)

MIMC
03-28-2013, 11:40 AM
http://www.usatf.us/

also on Facebook

It's a good friend of mine, he started the business several years ago (before the craziness started). No promises of what he can provide today, I do know materials and parts are in short supply (just like everyone else) -may suit your needs - give em' a look.

Sierra Tango II
03-28-2013, 09:55 PM
A friend of mine sent me this. I found it pretty interesting.

http://www.vice.com/motherboard/click-print-gun-the-inside-story-of-the-3d-printed-gun-movement

jakethebt
03-29-2013, 06:08 PM
That is a really cool video. It is nice to see that the american spirit of "Don't tell me what I can't do" is alive and well.

Aric'sX15
03-29-2013, 07:01 PM
I need a 3d printer after watching that!

Sierra Tango II
03-29-2013, 10:38 PM
The possibilities are limitless:D

MC209
03-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Was finally able to find another one in MN! Also found ammo for it which was an even bigger suprise!!

What did you have to pay? I am thinking about selling one of mine and trying to put a price on it?

MC209
03-30-2013, 10:43 AM

JimN
03-30-2013, 11:04 AM
That is a really cool video. It is nice to see that the american spirit of "Don't tell me what I can't do" is alive and well.

That's fine, but some people clearly should never be allowed to own or handle anything more dangerous than a nerf ball or a handful of air. They may be able to give a well-reasoned argument for allowing people to own weapons, but completely unable to control their own actions and temper. THOSE are the ones who are the most dangerous and laws are ALWAYS written to control the small number who are causing problems by controlling everyone.

jakethebt
03-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Problem is that those people seem to have no issues getting access to them now anyway no matter what the law says. Not sure that a person that does not have the means to obtain one now will be any better when 3-D printing comes main stream. The wackos that you are talking about, can and do in their fits of rage use anything they can get thier hands on including rocks, sticks and hammers.

After wacthing this guys video, I am not sure if he is trying to make access larger or proving the piont that more needs controlled?

onewheat
04-02-2013, 12:06 AM
3-D printing is not going to make a plethora of AR-15's on the street - even when 3-D printing becomes more mainstream. It is still an empty lower receiver that needs to be built and you still need the upper receiver. It's just not practical to think that gangs or criminals will be whipping out lowers and creating mass stashes of weaponry.

JimN
04-02-2013, 09:25 AM
3-D printing is not going to make a plethora of AR-15's on the street - even when 3-D printing becomes more mainstream. It is still an empty lower receiver that needs to be built and you still need the upper receiver. It's just not practical to think that gangs or criminals will be whipping out lowers and creating mass stashes of weaponry.

Money talks- if someone has a ton of cash, and some gangs do, they can find someone with a 3d printer and the ability/desire to make these for whoever pays. I was talking to someone who sells at gun shows- he said a known gang leader would go to the shows and walk down the aisle, pointing to certain guns. Behind him was a group of his minions and they would work the deals so they could buy anything possible, with cash. They had been there earlier to find out who was a licensed dealer and who wasn't, so they'd only buy from the non-licensed ones.

OTOH, we recently had an ATF debacle here, intending to remove guns from the streets. Unfortunately, someone broke into the building this was being run out of and stole some of the weapons that had been bought as well as some of the ATF's weapons, including at least one machine gun (not sure which type, this was the term used in the news article).

onewheat
04-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Money talks- if someone has a ton of cash, and some gangs do, they can find someone with a 3d printer and the ability/desire to make these for whoever pays.

...but you can still only make an empty plastic lower receiver that has to be built and has a very limited lifespan - buy the upper, assemble everything and then what? Where is your advantage to being able to do this? It would just be easier to go and buy a complete AR that will fire thousands and thousands of rounds reliably, then to go through all of that hassle to fire a couple hundred (maybe) before it breaks. If you are worried about trace-ability - then buy an aluminum 80% lower (which is not considered a gun or serialized either), finish the machining and build a regular AR that has the reliability and is not traceable. I don't see where the 3-D printing is a realistically viable and practical option just to get around Big Brother - even for someone with a ton of cash. It is more of a novelty and a challenge to do it than anything to practically worry about.

JimN
04-02-2013, 09:31 PM
...but you can still only make an empty plastic lower receiver that has to be built and has a very limited lifespan - buy the upper, assemble everything and then what? Where is your advantage to being able to do this? It would just be easier to go and buy a complete AR that will fire thousands and thousands of rounds reliably, then to go through all of that hassle to fire a couple hundred (maybe) before it breaks. If you are worried about trace-ability - then buy an aluminum 80% lower (which is not considered a gun or serialized either), finish the machining and build a regular AR that has the reliability and is not traceable. I don't see where the 3-D printing is a realistically viable and practical option just to get around Big Brother - even for someone with a ton of cash. It is more of a novelty and a challenge to do it than anything to practically worry about.

The lower is the only part with a serial number, AFAIK. anyone can buy the rest of the parts and assemble one if they have the lower but the lower is, or will probably be, regulated. If AR-type guns are outlawed and people are willing to go to great lengths to get one/many, this is one way to go about it.

Gangs and other criminals don't buy guns for a lifetime, they only need them once, really. If it lasts that long, they got their money's worth, IMO.

onewheat
04-02-2013, 09:57 PM
The lower is the only part with a serial number, AFAIK. anyone can buy the rest of the parts and assemble one if they have the lower but the lower is, or will probably be, regulated. If AR-type guns are outlawed and people are willing to go to great lengths to get one/many, this is one way to go about it.

Gangs and other criminals don't buy guns for a lifetime, they only need them once, really. If it lasts that long, they got their money's worth, IMO.

But an 80% aluminum lower has no serial number and can be sent through the postal service too. There are YouTube videos with guys making AR lowers out of aluminum in their garage too. If I was looking for illegal weapons - I'd want one that at least I knew was going to fire when I needed it - if you read about the guys making plastic lowers, they have lots of failures and their "successes" get them a couple hundred shots before they break or wear out. I get your point though - it is feasible to do so - just not very practical given the other better options out there.

JimN
04-02-2013, 10:05 PM
But an 80% aluminum lower has no serial number and can be sent through the postal service too. There are YouTube videos with guys making AR lowers out of aluminum in their garage too. If I was looking for illegal weapons - I'd want one that at least I knew was going to fire when I needed it - if you read about the guys making plastic lowers, they have lots of failures and their "successes" get them a couple hundred shots before they break or wear out. I get your point though - it is feasible to do so - just not very practical given the other better options out there.

Which is easier and more portable- buying a program and a printer, or learning to use a milling machine to close tolerances?

onewheat
04-03-2013, 01:24 AM
Yes, printer may have the advantage there, but a milling machine is definitely usable and I have very limited experience with one, but I could finish up an 80% lower for an AR. There is also a learning curve with software and a 3D printer. When we both become thugs and start mass producing AR lowers - you with your printer and me with my Bridgeport - lets compare notes again and see what shakes out. I think it would make for a good stats project. :)

JimN
04-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Yes, printer may have the advantage there, but a milling machine is definitely usable and I have very limited experience with one, but I could finish up an 80% lower for an AR. There is also a learning curve with software and a 3D printer. When we both become thugs and start mass producing AR lowers - you with your printer and me with my Bridgeport - lets compare notes again and see what shakes out. I think it would make for a good stats project. :)

I'm not gonna be a thug- I'm going straight to Kingpin. I always wanted to have minions.

Sierra Tango II
04-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Im not a computer expert, so I wont be trying to "print" my own AR. Im not a machinist, so again i wont be trying to "build" my own AR. Point being, and thats why I shared the link is that its interesting what people come up with to "acquire" something that is banned or about to be banned. Personally if I was a collector, I would prefer it to be an original Armalite or an early model Colt, not a knockoff. As a sportsperson, there is no way i would choose that for my collection, other than a novelty. I understand the 2nd ammendment and i dont have a problem with people owning one, however it definately would not be in my top 10 weapons of choice. Back to the intent of the forum, its apparent that people are paying big bucks for them........now. What about in 5 or 10 years? I remember the ban on high capacity magazines and how much they were selling for. They have come down in price significantly. I think that when this craze wears off that the market will be flooded and parts as well as full rifles will be piced reasonably and will be available..........as for now??? Happy hunting.

2RLAKE
04-05-2013, 10:08 AM
We are at the lake for spring break ... Rainy day yesterday so my son and I go into town and stop at WalMart to see if they have any ammo ... Nope but they do have a Colt 6920LE Magpul (desert tan) for ... Get this ... Brand new LE .... $1147

MC209
04-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Bushmaster ar-15 .223. Red dot scope. Brand new in box $1250. Permit to carry or permit to purchase preferred. Southern MN or Dubuque IA. Pm me for questions or more details. 92573

onewheat
04-08-2013, 02:31 AM
We are at the lake for spring break ... Rainy day yesterday so my son and I go into town and stop at WalMart to see if they have any ammo ... Nope but they do have a Colt 6920LE Magpul (desert tan) for ... Get this ... Brand new LE .... $1147

and...???

2RLAKE
04-09-2013, 07:41 AM
and...???

i saved it for you ... just buying too many things right now

MC209
04-09-2013, 11:21 PM
Bump! No takers yet??

Bushmaster ar-15 .223. Red dot scope. Brand new in box $1250. Permit to carry or permit to purchase preferred. Southern MN or Dubuque IA. Pm me for questions or more details. 92573

psychobilly
04-16-2013, 08:50 PM
I just scored me 3 RRA LAR-15 Op2s Chambered in 223 or 556 NATO :-)

WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-16-2013, 09:00 PM
I just scored me 3 RRA LAR-15 Op2s Chambered in 223 or 556 NATO :-)

WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to flip one to me on Friday just sayin':D

thamax
04-16-2013, 09:11 PM
I hope that is a XM-15 and not a carbon 15 cause they are going through local retailers for $699 and $741 out the door but that pic isn't super clear so hard to say. there is alot of AR's the demand is crazy so get the highest price possible.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Just picked up Colt LE6920MP-FDE(with magpul stuff):)stock pic sorry kinda don't want to take 'em out of the box for now.

2RLAKE
05-06-2013, 10:49 PM
nice ... that bottom one looks like the one i passed on at wally world ... i should not have done that

psychobilly
05-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Dang man! What did ya have ta give for it? I still had one of those rock river op2s.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Dang man! What did ya have ta give for it? I still had one of those rock river op2s.

Less than what carters country and local stores are asking :D

psychobilly
05-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Must have been a Walmart find. Heheh
The rock river ones I score were not cheap. I did sell 2 for 1900 each though. :-)

I can't wait till he gets the 458 Socom uppers in!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-07-2013, 08:51 AM
The rock river ones I score were not cheap. I did sell 2 for 1900 each though. :-)

Yep, I see no problem is paying list for the same item that LGS are at 1800-1950

Lumbergh
05-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Colt = goodness. Nice purchases.

gts-20
05-07-2013, 02:17 PM

Next time you have surplus AR's, please don't forget about your good buddy Mike ;)

psychobilly
05-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Still have one of the 5 left.

I hope the ammo for that 458 Socom goes down. Lol

He's defiantly gun salesman of the year. He's boosted sales on guns, ammo, and even drugs! Lmao

How many people have went to he drug store lately and tried to get a scrip filled. Lmao

gts-20
05-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Still have one of the 5 left.

Hook a brotha up!

MC209
09-16-2013, 09:46 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/17/7aqerume.jpg I am going to sell this dpms sweet 16 with a ton of mods. If any body is interested inbox me for more details.

MC209
09-16-2013, 09:46 PM
I am located in southern mn

CantRepeat
09-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Short of target shooting and killing men they are a complete waste of money.

DemolitionMan
09-16-2013, 10:13 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/17/7aqerume.jpg I am going to sell this dpms sweet 16 with a ton of mods. If any body is interested inbox me for more details.

Great looking DPMS!

bridomine99
09-16-2013, 10:44 PM

Using that logic, I would argue the only thing an X30 is good for is floating on days too windy for slalom skiing. From my perspective, wake boats don’t do much more than screw up our skiing water. Needless to say, a few would argue the 30 is a pretty solid surf and boarding boat, but we have to be careful with mixing our preferences / experiences with facts.

A few folks have found things an AR is good for other than your two examples which is why is one of the highest volume selling firearm platforms on the market today.

Note: I would love to have a X30 for activities other than skiing so please don’t be offended, just trying to make a point as many AR owners get tired of the stereo typing

BrooksfamX2
09-16-2013, 11:07 PM
Finally got my RR....

http://www.rockriverarms.com/?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=213

CantRepeat
09-16-2013, 11:32 PM
Using that logic, I would argue the only thing an X30 is good for is floating on days too windy for slalom skiing. From my perspective, wake boats don’t do much more than screw up our skiing water. Needless to say, a few would argue the 30 is a pretty solid surf and boarding boat, but we have to be careful with mixing our preferences / experiences with facts.

A few folks have found things an AR is good for other than your two examples which is why is one of the highest volume selling firearm platforms on the market today.

Note: I would love to have a X30 for activities other than skiing so please don’t be offended, just trying to make a point as many AR owners get tired of the stereo typing

I'm not offended in the least.

As someone that had used M4s for their main purpose and knowing what they were designed for from on the onset you argument really doesn't relate.

Boats are meant many reasons. The M4 was designed with a single purpose and that purpose was to kill the enemy. It may have been adapted to other things, surfing is not one of them, but it has a single purpose.

So if you are not sport shooting it or killing people its a waste of your money.

bridomine99
09-16-2013, 11:47 PM
I'm not offended in the least.

As someone that had used M4s for their main purpose and knowing what they were designed for from on the onset you argument really doesn't relate.

Boats are meant many reasons. The M4 was designed with a single purpose and that purpose was to kill the enemy. It may have been adapted to other things, surfing is not one of them, but it has a single purpose.

So if you are not sport shooting it or killing people its a waste of your money.

I understand where you are coming from, but for example... if a person's favorite hobbies in life were Prairie Dog hunting in the Dakota's or hog hunting in the South, the AR can be a pretty effective option depending on configuration. Some guys prefer other options, but stating that a AR is a waste of money is like saying a X30 is a waste of money if you don't surf or board. I have a family friend that can't ski anymore because of back injuries, but still owns a MC because he believes they are one of the finest built boats in the industry.

Lets agree to disagree to let the other guys keep the thread on topic

CantRepeat
09-17-2013, 12:06 AM
I understand where you are coming from, but for example... if a person's favorite hobbies in life were Prairie Dog hunting in the Dakota's or hog hunting in the South, the AR can be a pretty effective option depending on configuration. Some guys prefer other options, but stating that a AR is a waste of money is like saying a X30 is a waste of money if you don't surf or board. I have a family friend that can't ski anymore because of back injuries, but still owns a MC because he believes they are one of the finest built boats in the industry.

Lets agree to disagree to let the other guys keep the thread on topic

Comparing rifles to boats is a waste of time.

BrooksfamX2
09-17-2013, 01:27 AM

:confused:

tr6coug
09-17-2013, 01:41 AM
Finally got my RR....

Pictures????

BrooksfamX2
09-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Pictures????

Don't have a good picture, but its this one. Come by and see it.............

stuartmcnair
09-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Don't have a good picture, but its this one. Come by and see it.............

I have that one but not in the left handed model. Love that gun...hogs, however, not so fond of it.

Traxx822
09-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Not an AR-15 but I just snagged this nice Springfield XDm-9. 4.5" 19+1

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

BrooksfamX2
09-17-2013, 08:28 PM
Nice, I have the XDm-9 with the 3.8" barrel......love it.

Traxx822
09-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Nice, I have the XDm-9 with the 3.8" barrel......love it.

I'm going to get that one for conceal carry. I'm in Illinois and they finally gave us the right to conceal carry. Finally.

Should have my permit within the next two years though at the rate the state is going on getting this squared away.

Willski
09-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Just bought a little S&W .22 M&P for plunking things. A fun little gun to shoot at low cost!

DemolitionMan
09-17-2013, 11:09 PM
Just bought a little S&W .22 M&P for plunking things. A fun little gun to shoot at low cost!

Great gun when you can find ammo. Stock up on your magazines for it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/593377/smith-and-wesson-magazine-s-and-w-m-and-p-15-22-22-long-rifle-25-round-polymer-black

BrooksfamX2
09-17-2013, 11:45 PM
I'm going to get that one for conceal carry. .............

I think the XDm is a bit big for a CC (for me).

This is my CC, but wit a Crimson Trace Laser.

Taurus 380 TCP

http://www.google.com/search?q=taurus+380&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=WhI5Uqe_C8P6qgHMjoGoAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1140&bih=531&dpr=1

Traxx822
09-18-2013, 12:16 AM
I think the XDm is a bit big for a CC (for me).

This is my CC, but wit a Crimson Trace Laser.

Taurus .380 TCP

http://www.google.com/search?q=taurus+380&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=WhI5Uqe_C8P6qgHMjoGoAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1140&bih=531&dpr=1

That's pretty small. Good for CC. I'm not a huge fan of Taurus myself. But if it does it's job who can talk right.

I want the XDm-9 ACP. It's a 16+1. And a Springfield. I also should stay with the same caliber for cost reasons. No need to be stocking more than one caliber for handguns for me. But now the wife has asked to bring a friend to the range. She has never gone or shot a firearm and just got her Foid card. Thinking of getting a .22 for her.

BrooksfamX2
09-18-2013, 12:21 AM
Looking for a .22 or 380 revolver for my wife also...........

Traxx822
09-18-2013, 12:54 AM
I have a model 60 38 special revolver. My grandma carries it since I gave it to her. The trigger is getting hard for her to pull. Thinking of selling and upgrading

tr6coug
09-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Not an AR-15 but I just snagged this nice Springfield XDm-9. 4.5" 19+1

I've got one of the 3.8" versions also. Great gun.

gts-20
09-18-2013, 10:40 PM
One of my "small" ones. XD subcompact, 3", .40

CantRepeat
09-18-2013, 11:06 PM
We only have one fire arm in the house.

A Glock 19 with tritium sites and +2 with black talons. Yes, the long ago illegal talons.

I never understood the big deal with them and the LA media calling them cop killers? All of LAPD wear body armor and the last thing you want to get through body armor is a splading bullet. You're far better off with a single brass jacketed slug then a flowering slug. Media, dumb as dumb can be.

Didn't they chase down hollow points and hydro shock rounds next?

CantRepeat
09-18-2013, 11:09 PM
:confused:

Really? what else are they good for? Sport shooting? They are fun to shot at a range? I wanna see if my CQM and CQB are to standard?

Traxx822
09-18-2013, 11:09 PM
We only have one fire arm in the house.

A Glock 19 with tritium sites and +2 with black talons. Yes, the long ago illegal talons.

I never understood the big deal with them and the LA media calling them cop killers? All of LAPD wear body armor and the last thing you want to get through body armor is a splading bullet. You're far better off with a single brass jacketed slug then a flowering slug. Media, dumb as dumb can be.

Didn't they chase down hollow points and hydro shock rounds next?

I don't know about that but I got a box of those hollow points filled with pig meat. You know ... Cause terrorist hate pigs. Lol

More for novelty.

Traxx822
09-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Really? what else are they good for? Sport shooting? They are fun to shot at a range? I wanna see if my CQM and CQB are to standard?

They are fun to shoot at a range. And if you are a collector that could be another reason. There is a place in Indiana where they have a CQB range. So I mean you could use it. There is CQB competitions, there is range competitions. Also, its a solid weapon platform that as you know, is the most popular assault rifle in the US.

I can think of any number of reasons why people could validate a purchase of an AR. I do see your point, that it has one purpose and one purpose only and thats to kill.

CantRepeat
09-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I'm not against assault rifles at all and in my eyes everyone has a right to own one if they want. There are a lot of people that enjoy tactical match shooting for sure. But, it really is a single purpose designed weapon and it's really good for that. Short of that I just think it's a waste of your dough.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I'm not against assault rifles at all and in my eyes everyone has a right to own one if they want. There are a lot of people that enjoy tactical match shooting for sure. But, it really is a single purpose designed weapon and it's really good for that. Short of that I just think it's a waste of your dough.

Tim, I was starting to wonder about you a little till this.

VP46
09-19-2013, 11:57 AM
I need to pick up a rifle for my 12 almost 13 yr old. Looking at rem 700's - can'trepeat, whats your reccd?

jeff shelton
09-19-2013, 12:21 PM
I need to pick up a rifle for my 12 almost 13 yr old. Looking at rem 700's - can'trepeat, whats your reccd?

You should look at the 7mm-08. You can get the managed recoil bullets from Remington that are a 145gr. It will have the recoil of a 243 but with a heavier bullet.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Depending on the size of your boy, I would look at a youth sized gun to get him started. Hard to go wrong with .243 for a youth sized gun.

CantRepeat
09-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Tim, I was starting to wonder about you a little till this.

Was I coming off as the right wing nut job? :D

thatsmrmastercraft
09-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Was I coming off as the right wing nut job? :D

Oh, heavens no http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

bigmac
09-19-2013, 02:44 PM
So if you are not sport shooting it or killing people its a waste of your money. True of all firearms, including your Glock 19.

JimN
09-19-2013, 03:13 PM
I have a model 60 38 special revolver. My grandma carries it since I gave it to her. The trigger is getting hard for her to pull. Thinking of selling and upgrading

Any point in having the trigger modded to reduce the pull?

JimN
09-19-2013, 03:14 PM
True of all firearms, including your Glock 19.

Or collecting, for historical/investment significance/value.

Traxx822
09-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Any point in having the trigger modded to reduce the pull?

That would help. I like the safety and speed of a revolver for her. Do you recommend anything that could make it easy for her to pull first shot with hammer down

bigmac
09-20-2013, 06:16 PM
That would help. I like the safety and speed of a revolver for her. Do you recommend anything that could make it easy for her to pull first shot with hammer down

A good pistolsmith can smooth out that DA pull, maybe change a spring or two. That particular pistol is pretty amenable to that kind of work.

Traxx822
09-20-2013, 06:40 PM
A good pistolsmith can smooth out that DA pull, maybe change a spring or two. That particular pistol is pretty amenable to that kind of work.

Good news. I will search that option out. That might be better than opting for a completely different pistol.

CantRepeat
09-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Or collecting, for historical/investment significance/value.

Yup, there will always be a market for them.

supreme112279
09-20-2013, 09:01 PM
traxx. look at at keltec, 9mm

bigmac
09-20-2013, 09:23 PM

Yes...all of those things. Plinking, competition, hunting, home defense. They're good all-around long guns with a wider variety of applications than most. Easy to shoot, low recoil, easy to modify, wide variety of accessories. They're reliable, durable, and low maintenance (some brands more than others). Not an accident that they are by far the best-selling long gun of the last decade or two.

Traxx822
09-25-2013, 01:09 AM
Had some fun with my buddies AR. It's a 556.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-25-2013, 01:30 AM

Very cool.

bigmac
09-25-2013, 11:36 AM

Looks like a nice indoor range.

All 5.56 AR15's will shoot .223. Most higher-quality .223 AR's will shoot 5.56 safely.

Traxx822
09-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Looks like a nice indoor range.

All 5.56 AR15's will shoot .223. Most higher-quality .223 AR's will shoot 5.56 safely.

I know but they do make those .22 rifles that look like AR-15 and didn't want confusion seeing it was an indoor range.

This range is the only one in Chicagoland down by me that allows high powered rifles/shotguns (slugs only) 50yds only so its not hard to group them together just off iron sights.

Really love shooting his gun. Cause as CR said "Its a waste of money" And I don't have to own it but I can still shoot it.

And CR, I know that smell of AR will spark memories and make you smile so don't lie. If your buddy had one, you would be happy he did. :D:D

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-25-2013, 06:45 PM
What bothers me about "AR-15" is in the nomenclature. Is it an Armalite Rifle model 15? Is it a Colt AR-15? AR-15 is a trademark name for a specific model of Colt via Armalite, all others are clones. Are all cotton swabs "Q-Tips". AR does not mean Assault Rifle...

tkemperdc
09-25-2013, 06:53 PM
Just buy a Barrett M107A1 :D

Traxx822
09-25-2013, 07:04 PM
What bothers me about "AR-15" is in the nomenclature. Is it an Armalite Rifle model 15? Is it a Colt AR-15? AR-15 is a trademark name for a specific model of Colt via Armalite, all others are clones. Are all cotton swabs "Q-Tips". AR does not mean Assault Rifle...

I agree with this. Unfortunately, I can't get all technical on a boat forum or I fear I might lose the audience in the mix. If this was a gun forum I would have been ripped to shreds for my post.

DemolitionMan
09-25-2013, 09:35 PM
I agree with this. Unfortunately, I can't get all technical on a boat forum or I fear I might lose the audience in the mix. If this was a gun forum I would have been ripped to shreds for my post.

Looks like a S@W M@P 15/22?

Traxx822
09-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Looks like a S@W M@P 15/22?

Nope

LMT Defender 2000

DemolitionMan
09-26-2013, 12:06 AM
Nope

LMT Defender 2000

Was it converted?

Traxx822
09-26-2013, 12:47 AM
Was it converted?

Sight rails and broomstick only mods on it. It came with the retractable stock factory stock mod model. If you mean to 556. It will fire both 5.56 and .223. We shoot the 556.

bigmac
09-26-2013, 01:34 AM
AR15 is the common parlance for all of the rifles that are based on the Colt AR15, even on most gun forums. Not all AR15s are created equal, however. Some of the more common brands have a lot of corner-cutting and an inferior QA process. For many people it's not a big deal because they'll never push the gun hard enough to discover its material weaknesses. I've seen many rifles fail to make it through a weekend 2000-round carbine training course and it's usually the same brands.

DemolitionMan
09-26-2013, 09:48 AM
AR15 is the common parlance for all of the rifles that are based on the Colt AR15, even on most gun forums. Not all AR15s are created equal, however. Some of the more common brands have a lot of corner-cutting and an inferior QA process. For many people it's not a big deal because they'll never push the gun hard enough to discover its material weaknesses. I've seen many rifles fail to make it through a weekend 2000-round carbine training course and it's usually the same brands.

What brands do you see fail the most?

bigmac
09-27-2013, 12:34 AM
What brands do you see fail the most?

Always a tricky question that usually results in angry rebuttal from people who are invested in those brands, exacerbated by the fact that their consumer-level price point makes them among the best sellers. I usually see replies like "I have over 300 rounds through my Bushmaster/Wyndham and it works flawlessly" or "my Rock River Arms will shoot 1 MOA all day long", as if those are valid tests of an AR15. I will say that around here we see a LOT of DPMS rifles since they're located about 60 miles from me. They have a pretty high failure rate when pushed. They're price point consumer-grade rifles. Corners are cut. The frustrating thing is that often a DPMS rifle MSRP will be within $200 of the Colt 6920 that you can buy are Walmart for $1100. Personally, I take pride in owning high-quality firearms. My criteria isn't "probably good enough".

The BEST brands out there IMHO are Colt, Noveske, Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, LMT and probably Spike's Tactical. They are generally recognized as being "professional grade" firearms. IMHO, like buying a Milwaukee or DeWalt cordless drill instead of the cheapest one on the page of the Harbor Freight catalogue.

Traxx822
09-27-2013, 12:48 AM
I'm not huge into firearms. Like CR I couldn't put that much money into a weapon thats impractical. However, running 600 flawless rounds out my buddies LMT made me really reconsider getting a nice high quality weapon. I like high quality things. So why not.

That's the main reason I chose the Springfield XDm 9. It was simple, high quality, and so far I love it. No problems with running 200 rounds an hour.

I'm going to look at some of the names you mentioned bigmac. Might get into something nice my the end of the winter.

Too much snowmobile, and boat stuff going on at the moment. :cool:

bigmac
09-27-2013, 01:35 AM
I'm not huge into firearms. Like CR I couldn't put that much money into a weapon thats impractical.

I confess, I don't even begin to get the concept of an AR15 being impractical. I think that overall it's the most practical centerfire rifle platform on the market.

CantRepeat
09-27-2013, 08:39 AM
I confess, I don't even begin to get the concept of an AR15 being impractical. I think that overall it's the most practical centerfire rifle platform on the market.

I guess my concept of practicality is based off of use. You're not going to hunt deer with it. As a retiree I'm not going to do any room clearing with it. I don't subscribe to the prepper theory of government collapse so I see no need for this type of weapon for me.

People who like guns and like to shoot might see more use in it. I know there is a big market for tactical weapons. Lots of people like doing tactical marksmanship matches but after doing it for 24 years for a living it's just not my thing.

bigmac
09-27-2013, 10:40 AM
As you say, each to their own. Some people enjoy firearms and shooting as a hobby. They like to build them, modify them, plinking, targets, varmints, tactical training courses, tactical competitions...wide variety of things as is true of any hobby. In that regard, the AR15 platform is one of the most flexible and adaptable out there and sales figures reflect that. Although I do think that an AR 15 is an excellent home defense firearm, I'm with you in that I think the whole prepper phenomenon is silly.

DooSPX
09-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Owning a custom AR15 with Milspec M4 components, a shotgun, a 30/30 and multiple handguns, I have to laugh when I hear people say that the .223 Remington/5.56 round was designed to kill people. While its effective, the round was designed for small/medium game. Not large game (also see humuns). My 30/30 with its 7.62 round is twice as effective if you wanted to talk about ability to larger game.

The main advantage is the ability to put many small holes in things. (All M4 and AR15 are semi-auto). US military ditched the full auto AR/M .223/5.56 platform after 70's.

I would never use my AR for home defense, that tiny lightweight high velocity round over penetrates easily. I much rather have a shotgun with buckshot. I have done some penetration test of my own with my 16" and it confirmed I wouldn't use it for home defense. Not to mention, I rather have a 90% one shot stop with a shotgun in my house around my family.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Owning a custom AR15 with Milspec M4 components, a shotgun, a 30/30 and multiple handguns, I have to laugh when I hear people say that the .223 Remington/5.56 round was designed to kill people. While its effective, the round was designed for small/medium game. Not large game (also see humuns). My 30/30 with its 7.62 round is twice as effective if you wanted to talk about ability to larger game.

The main advantage is the ability to put many small holes in things. (All M4 and AR15 are semi-auto). US military ditched the full auto AR/M .223/5.56 platform after 70's.

I would never use my AR for home defense, that tiny lightweight high velocity round over penetrates easily. I much rather have a shotgun with buckshot. I have done some penetration test of my own with my 16" and it confirmed I wouldn't use it for home defense. Not to mention, I rather have a 90% one shot stop with a shotgun in my house around my family.

You are right on the mark with saying that the .223/5.56 wasn't adopted by the military to kill people, it was to wound people. When soldiers is killed on the battlefield, one person can retrieve more than one dead soldier whereas it takes more than one person to tend to a wounded soldier. It's a numbers game that has several trade-offs. While a bad guy that gets shot with a 7.62 NATO/.308 Win will be much more likely incapacitated than one shot with a .223, a soldier can carry twice as much .223 ammo and the weaopn can weigh less to boot.

BrooksfamX2
09-27-2013, 12:14 PM
..........................I'm with you in that I think the whole prepper phenomenon is silly.

What about when the Zombies come............ :confused:

mustangtexas
09-27-2013, 12:16 PM
More people than not say the Prostar is a impractical boat and it is if your looking for a "boat". But when used as we love to use them they are the perfect boat. And if you make a list of the ways you can use them the list is more than one or two ways long. The AR-15 can be looked at the same way.

DooSPX
09-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Correct, as I said, more holes. more ammo, more rounds down range. My good friends that made it back from front line war on terror really wished they had bigger rounds. The terrorist do not care if their brother is laying in the street. They just let them lay there and rot.

DooSPX
09-27-2013, 12:17 PM
I love my AR, but just not because of its effectiveness.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Correct, as I said, more holes. more ammo, more rounds down range. My good friends that made it back from front line war on terror really wished they had bigger rounds. The terrorist do not care if their brother is laying in the street. They just let them lay there and rot.

All too true.

bigmac
09-27-2013, 12:26 PM
The M16A2, M16A4, and M4 are all select- fire, 3-round burst. The M4A1 in current use is select-fire, fully automatic.

The .223 was originally selected because of it's high velocity, low recoil, and because a rifleman could carry more rounds of .223 than 7.62/.308. Current 5.56 M855 is an effective anti personnel round (high velocity tumbling) at medium range. As a home defense weapon the AR15 is superior IMHO due to its better accuracy, better followup shot capability, and better maneuverability, not to mention the capability to mount a light, a supressor, and fast-acquisition CQB red dot sighting systems. Appropriate defensive round selection and an AR15 over-penetrates significantly less than buckshot (or handgun ammo, for that matter), either in tissue or sheet rock.

homer12
09-27-2013, 12:33 PM
bigmac, do you think S&W makes a good AR?

bigmac
09-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Yes, I do. Most would agree that its a cost-effective AR15. It has its shortcomings and wouldn't necessarily be on par with Colt/Noveske/DD/BCM, but it's reliability is better than the usual run of consumer-grade price-point rifles IMHO.

tkemperdc
09-27-2013, 12:52 PM
The M16A2, M16A4, and M4 are all select- fire, 3-round burst. The M4A1 in current use is select-fire, fully automatic.

The .223 was originally selected because of it's high velocity, low recoil, and because a rifleman could carry more rounds of .223 than 7.62/.308. Current 5.56 M855 is an effective anti personnel round (high velocity tumbling) at medium range. As a home defense weapon the AR15 is superior IMHO due to its better accuracy, better followup shot capability, and better maneuverability, not to mention the capability to mount a supressor and fast-acquisition CQB sighting systems. Appropriate defensive round selection and an AR15 over-penetrates significantly less than buckshot (or handgun ammo, for that matter), either in tissue or sheet rock.

Cental MN, BigMac, you must be close to where I grew up, sauk centre/Melrose area?

DooSPX
09-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Yes, I do. Most would agree that its a cost-effective AR15. It has its shortcomings and wouldn't necessarily be on par with Colt/Noveske/DD/BCM, but it's reliability is better than the usual run of consumer-grade price-point rifles IMHO.

i agree. for the money i think its a good rifle.

bigmac
09-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Cental MN, BigMac, you must be close to where I grew up, sauk centre/Melrose area?
Brainerd area.

DemolitionMan
11-21-2013, 10:53 PM
I am digging this.

JimN
11-22-2013, 08:24 AM
I am digging this.

Where would that color blend in, a Play Doh factory?

Traxx822
11-22-2013, 09:21 AM

It would fit right into the Color Run. :cool:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

DemolitionMan
11-22-2013, 09:28 AM

I think it would be a good conversation piece for the range.

tkemperdc
11-22-2013, 10:51 AM

BigMac, surprised you did not list LMT in your quality products?

BrooksfamX2
11-22-2013, 11:29 AM

Don't need to blend in when you are hunting Zombies............. ;)

BrooksfamX2
11-22-2013, 11:30 AM
I am digging this.

I like it, but likely wont paint mine to match.

GT500 MC
11-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Just bought me a new upper last night....DD MM4 v7 in 300aac blackout caliber. :D:D:D
Can't wait---should be in early next week. Anybody on here have one? Have heard very good things about this round. Needed me a good tactical upper and I figured what better than 30cal. Now to find ammo.

BrooksfamX2
11-22-2013, 01:22 PM
I like it, but likely wont paint mine to match.

anyone hydro dipped gun parts??

http://www.diydipkits.com/process.php

bigmac
11-22-2013, 05:39 PM
BigMac, surprised you did not list LMT in your quality products?

I did.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=981361&postcount=173

tkemperdc
11-22-2013, 05:49 PM
I did.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=981361&postcount=173

ooops sorry missed that post.

bigmac
11-22-2013, 06:41 PM
ooops sorry missed that post.

I have great respect for all of those top-tier manufacturers. I've never owned an LMT but would have no hesitation to do so. I'm pretty much all Noveske these days, although I have a couple of SBR's on Noveske u/l receivers built with BMC barrels and BCGs.

Traxx822
11-23-2013, 10:07 AM
I have great respect for all of those top-tier manufacturers. I've never owned an LMT but would have no hesitation to do so. I'm pretty much all Noveske these days, although I have a couple of SBR's on Noveske u/l receivers built with BMC barrels and BCGs.

I'll take your Noveske. Give you a chance to grab that LMT. :cool:

My buddy has a nice LMT. It is for sure top of the line. I'd recommend getting one in your hands to try.

tkemperdc
11-23-2013, 10:48 AM
I love my LMT, and I have a POF-308, I would suggest them as well, very good quality.

Now I have not shot a DD or Noveske, but they maybe next on the list.

bigmac
11-23-2013, 01:41 PM
As much as I respect LMT (or any of the other top-tier rifles), I'm completely satisfied with my current rifles and I don't think buying one would be an upgrade over my current armory.

Traxx822
11-23-2013, 01:52 PM
As much as I respect LMT (or any of the other top-tier rifles), I'm completely satisfied with my current rifles and I don't think buying one would be an upgrade over my current armory.

Would you mind letting me know how much a base model centerfire Noveske would cost?

bigmac
11-23-2013, 03:02 PM
I suppose that the base model is the Recce at $1700.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0259/2561/products/R-LRB-556_2_1024x1024.jpg?v=1382292541

http://shopnoveske.com/collections/rifles

My Recce is a few years old and they've changed the lineup. I ordered it with the VIS. It's been a superb firearm. It's been pushed hard at several 2000-round carbine courses (Jeff Gonzales, Kyle Lamb) without a hiccup.

http://SSEquine.net/lightreccebasics.jpg

I also use this 11.5 inch SBR built on a Noveske matched upper/lower and using a BCM BFH barrel. Very accurate, but I had trouble with it (FTF) at a carbine course this past June. I think I fixed it by replacing a defective gas tube. Only 500 rounds since I replaced it, but so far so good.

http://SSEquine.net/noveskensr2s.jpg

Traxx822
11-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Thanks BigMac. The Recce sounds like, and looks like it is pretty capable of being the quality I want.

And how much do you have in yours for comparison? If you don't mind?

bigmac
11-24-2013, 03:46 PM
Thanks BigMac. The Recce sounds like, and looks like it is pretty capable of being the quality I want.

And how much do you have in yours for comparison? If you don't mind?

My Light Recce is about 5 years old. It was bought with a VIS upper and a Geissele SSA trigger and without optic is was right at $2000. The photo is old, it now has an Aimpoint PRO optic, a Raptor charging handle, a BattleComp compensator, B.A.D.A.S.S. ambi selector, and a VLTOR A5 system.

The 11.5 SBR cost me about $1500 as pictured above (about 4 years ago) without the optic. I changed the rail from a DD Lite to a Noveske NSR about 6 months ago. I love that SBR...it's what I shoot preferentially everywhere except 3-gun.

tkemperdc
11-25-2013, 11:12 AM

I would understand, that, you have some good quality with yours. Great to hear.

76S&S
11-28-2013, 12:04 PM
My local outdoor store has a Black Friday deal on an Omni AR for $499. For the price I'm sure it isn't a quality gun, but would you consider it for just a fun gun and maybe hog gun?

76S&S
11-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Double post

bigmac
11-28-2013, 07:09 PM
My local outdoor store has a Black Friday deal on an Omni AR for $499. For the price I'm sure it isn't a quality gun, but would you consider it for just a fun gun and maybe hog gun?

Is that the one with a polymer lower receiver? I hear very bad things.

76S&S
11-28-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure, it doesn't say in the add. I'll be sure to take a look at that first.
Thanks bigmac

bigmac
11-29-2013, 08:51 AM
I'm not sure, it doesn't say in the add. I'll be sure to take a look at that first.
Thanks bigmac

The only AR15-style rifles that I know of that are made by ATI (Omni) have polymer lowers and they're all .22LR. If you're looking for an AR in .22LR, by far the best and most reliable model is the S&W M&P15-22, and that model is in that same price range...$499, usually less. I'd definitely go that route for a .22.

tkemperdc
11-29-2013, 10:56 AM
I agree, I bought my girl a S&W M&P 22. Don't mess with the polymer.

Good luck and have fun.

soacj
11-29-2013, 12:15 PM
I agree, I bought my girl a S&W M&P 22. Don't mess with the polymer.

The 15-22 is a fun little gun--but to be fair, it also uses a polymer reciever.

bigmac
11-29-2013, 12:48 PM

It's not the polymer receiver that I'd be concerned about in a .22, it's the brand and its track record. The 15-22 is highly regarded as a training tool. Omni...not so much. In the last year or two I've seen several of the 15-22's at high round-count training courses as a means of keeping ammo cost down. IMHO, any .22 semi-auto that can run 1500 rounds in two days is a great .22.

tkemperdc
11-29-2013, 12:53 PM

Ha, I did not believe you then I double checked, yes, but I would say quality is better being a S&W. I have been very happy with it or shall I say the woman has been. She has shot my LMT and POF as well. but like how quiet the .22 is.

I looked at an Omni built one. and was on a different/lower level I honestly had to look at the MP after you said it was polymer, being I did not buy for myself, I let my gun shop chose for her...I usually do more research buying

soacj
11-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Ha, I did not believe you then I double checked, yes, but I would say quality is better being a S&W. I have been very happy with it or shall I say the woman has been. She has shot my LMT and POF as well. but like how quiet the .22 is.

I looked at an Omni built one. and was on a different/lower level I honestly had to look at the MP after you said it was polymer, being I did not buy for myself, I let my gun shop chose for her...I usually do more research buying

The only thing that really gives it away is the weight (or lack thereof). Nine times out of 10, if I'm shooting back in our woods, that's the "AR" of choice for cost and noise reasons. A Slide-fire would make it even more entertaining!

BrooksfamX2
11-29-2013, 11:20 PM
My Rock River Operator, I now have a Leupold 1.5-4x Fire dot scope on it. Great gun.

Also a short video of our annual Turkey Day Shoot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uToysUCbAyQ

Tri4X2
12-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Check out www.undergroundtactical.com. The owner lives in my "hood" and is a locally grown small town Texas brand. Great guys even better equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

bigmac
12-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Check out www.undergroundtactical.com. The owner lives in my "hood" and is a locally grown small town Texas brand. Great guys even better equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Yikes! For that kind of money you can buy a rifle of proven track record and equal-or-superior component quality. Colt 6920 for $1100 comes to mind. These mom-and-pop rifle assemblers need to be viewed with skepticism, especially looking at price/quality ratios.

GT500 MC
12-05-2013, 05:07 PM
New upper I just received. Troy BUIS flip-ups and ammo due in next week. Can't wait to get to the range.

Traxx822
12-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Thats sweet

GT500 MC
01-24-2014, 04:52 PM
Anybody on here submitted for an NFA stamp recently? Wondering on wait-times. I submitted for two the first week in January and hoping to get by end of summer. All I hear is "6-12 months".

BrooksfamX2
01-24-2014, 06:19 PM
Nice!!

JimN
01-24-2014, 07:22 PM
Anybody on here submitted for an NFA stamp recently? Wondering on wait-times. I submitted for two the first week in January and hoping to get by end of summer. All I hear is "6-12 months".

What is that, "Not Fargin' Available"?

sp00ky
01-26-2014, 03:05 AM
My Dad has an unfired AR-15 for sale, if anyone's interested I can get details.

MC209
03-15-2014, 05:56 PM
I still gave this gem for sale. Lowered the price to 1600http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/16/4e5epe3a.jpg

GT500 MC
03-15-2014, 08:12 PM
That looks nice. What are some of the details on this?? Lower make? Upper make? Stainless bull barrel looks like?

MC209
03-16-2014, 10:33 AM
Yea it has a bull barrel and about everything swapped out in it. It has different barrel stock trigger grips laser night scope. The gun started out being a DPMS Sweet 16

bigmac
03-16-2014, 10:56 AM

You can check at NFAtracker.com. I think it a lot closer to 12 months than 6 these days.

http://www.nfatracker.com/ChartImg.axd?i=chart_2ad30bae6e764eec85c790cad48fc 45d_0.png&g=2a6268ddb84342d187a8da22b0f831e1

Traxx822
03-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Yea it has a bull barrel and about everything swapped out in it. It has different barrel stock trigger grips laser night scope. The gun started out being a DPMS Sweet 16

Nice weapon. PM sent

towjam
03-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Last time I checked, this was a site catering to the needs of tournament boat enthusiasts. Will the moderator please put an end to this thread?

bigmac
03-16-2014, 02:53 PM
Last time I checked, this was a site catering to the needs of tournament boat enthusiasts. Will the moderator please put an end to this thread?

With all 48 of your posts, thanks for letting us know the purpose of this website. You don't get the concept of "Off Topic"?

If you're not interested in the thread, don't open it. The title is clear enough....easy to avoid.

towjam
03-16-2014, 06:22 PM
Yes, there's a lot I don't understand. Proud to say I don't understand the joy of blowing away someone or some thing with an assault rifle. Or how pertinent the whole discussion might be on a tournament boat forum. However, I am beginning to understand that he who posts the most is the smartest. So right now I'm not very smart. Another few thousand pieces of mindless drivel and I might just get as smart as you!! So I'll hold my breath and hope...

bcboy
03-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Shows up on my home page...I do not visit gun forums and don't expect to find it here.Thought the thread was about Arizona...must be my ignorance!

bigmac
03-16-2014, 06:40 PM
Yes, there's a lot I don't understand. Proud to say I don't understand the joy of blowing away someone or some thing with an assault rifle. Or how pertinent the whole discussion might be on a tournament boat forum. However, I am beginning to understand that he who posts the most is the smartest. So right now I'm not very smart. Another few thousand pieces of mindless drivel and I might just get as smart as you!! So I'll hold my breath and hope...

Blah blah blah.

Never happen.

Aric'sX15
03-16-2014, 06:55 PM

LEAVE TOW JAM... Liberals not allowed here. every post you have made is bashing or worthless. All of your posts have been mindless drivel....

mustangtexas
03-16-2014, 07:05 PM

Funny stuff right there. Post the same opinion on the hundreds of other threads on here that don't have anything to do with anything boating and you'll pile up your post count quick. Ever thought that part of the attraction of this forum is it's a bunch of folks who have a common love for tournament boats that feel comfortable having real life discussions with each other? You know, like friends do. There is plenty of threads on here I don't care about and guess what? I don't care. Nor should you.

MI_Corey
03-16-2014, 07:14 PM
^^^^ What he said

CruisinGA
03-16-2014, 07:33 PM

Typical liberal... Always looking for someone else to regulate whatever he doesn't like!

:rolleyes:

JimN
03-16-2014, 07:36 PM
Typical liberal... Always looking for someone else to regulate whatever they don't like!
Lucky for most of us, Team Talk isn't the nanny state that liberals like towjam are turning our country into. :rolleyes:

No, but it IS owned by Mastercraft, who probably wants people to post here without dumping on others.

Traxx822
03-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Shows up on my home page...I do not visit gun forums and don't expect to find it here.Thought the thread was about Arizona...must be my ignorance!

It clearly shows your ignorance.

AR would indicate Arkansas.

AZ would be Arizona.

Quick
03-16-2014, 08:01 PM

Wow took this one a little far in left field. Just because someone has an AR-15 doesn't mean they they "blow something or someone away". If you don't enjoy guns or the sport move on. Most people who do enjoy the sport are responsible and safe.

Wish I was your neighbor though. I would put this sign in my yard.

Aric'sX15
03-16-2014, 08:08 PM
It clearly shows your ignorance.

AR would indicate Arkansas.

AZ would be Arizona.

LOL!!!

2RLAKE
03-16-2014, 08:36 PM

whoever you are, I find your post extremely offensive ... "blowing away someone" is an inappropriate and very naive remark ... and completely not what anyone here condones ... we are not lifeless individuals down here

roadster02
03-16-2014, 08:43 PM
Usual drank the koolaid, anti gunner. But what should we expect, he's from Canada, he has no rights, so he doesn't understand anything about gun ownership. I wish these anti's would just keep it to themselves.

BrooksfamX2
03-16-2014, 11:31 PM
BTW....Shooting is an Olympic sport........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_at_the_Summer_Olympics