PDA

View Full Version : Restoring rear seat in 96 prostar 205

saltybalty
12-23-2012, 11:43 PM
I just bought a 205 ps and the vinyl was shot. Pulled all the old vinyl off the rear seat and found that the back corners are bent. Is this intentional so it can fit in the sun deck position? I have included photos to illustrate what I am talking about

saltybalty
01-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Went and test fit the seat bottom in the boat today, no reason for the curves to be there. Looks like I need to rebuild the seat bottom too

mikeg205
01-05-2013, 08:21 PM
all depends how deep your OCD runs... if it runs deep you'll replace the curves...just sayin'...

saltybalty
01-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Definitely going to fix it. I plan on having the boat for 4-5 years so I want to start on the right foot. I just wonder if I rebuild the bottom how much would I save vs an upholstery shop rebuilding it since I have to take it somewhere for the vinyl. I also need a bottom for the transom pad as well since I bought the boat without that piece

ricford
01-06-2013, 01:24 PM
I have a 96 prostar and my back seat is some kind of a composite base. Your pictures came out REALLY big on my screen for some reason, but your base looks like it's aluminum, is that right?

ricford
01-06-2013, 01:24 PM
The corners are also not bent like that.

milkmania
01-06-2013, 02:02 PM
I thought Coz was here:eek3:

saltybalty
01-06-2013, 06:09 PM
There is a thin piece of aluminum i'm not sure whats under there, but i imagine it is some form of composite. I will post pictures when I get it apart.

saltybalty
01-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Here is the inside. Took pictures of a section in good shape and where the corners are bent. I apologize if the pictures are big, the pics that were reposted are the same size as mine on my computer.

Bad section - first picture

Good section - second picture.

Any suggestions? I could smooth out the metal on the bent corners and sandwich some marine plywood in the metal. Seems like a lot of work to avoid spending what may only be a little bit of money

saltybalty
01-07-2013, 10:18 PM
OK now that last set of pictures is huge. What am I doing wrong?

jakethebt
01-07-2013, 10:20 PM
you need to resize the pics before you post.

jakethebt
01-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Also... I'm still not following what you are doing. The pictures dont seem to match anything close to my back seat in my 1996

mikeg205
01-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Your images are larger...if you use the paper clip or "go advanced" to manage attachments. The way your attach them does allow you to annotate. I check the images in Photoshop and they are very large.

mikeg205
01-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Strange that a seat would be made from the honeycomb aluminum they make the floor portions from. The composite board is Starboard I believe. http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/TAC-P105012WHA27/?utm_source=feed&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google&gclid=CN-ajp7b17QCFcxAMgodUE8Apw

saltybalty
01-07-2013, 10:53 PM
I use imageshack on my droid phone and posting on other forums haven't had issues. I tried the alternate forum link they provide and the pictures didn't show up. I will figure it out before I post pics again. So my apologies for the oversized images.

The seat appears to be factory and I have heard others mention honeycomb seat bases as well. I just can't find any posts to reference right now. Anyone know how the weight of the honeycomb will compare to the weight of the composite board?

Table Rocker
01-07-2013, 11:10 PM
The factory seat on my '96 is the same as yours and is in the same condition.

mikeg205
01-07-2013, 11:13 PM
what size are you saving images 640x480? attachment resized to 640 x 480. 3/4 inch starboard weights like 33.5 lbs for 24 x 54.

mikeg205
01-07-2013, 11:15 PM
The factory seat on my '96 is the same as yours and is in the same condition.

I like the idea of the honeycomb aluminum if its framed and not removed and not have anything bolted to it with small screws ala the dog house one my 1995. I used small strand fibreglass bondo to repair my floor board this fall. Glassed the sides with on later of fiberglass cloth as well. Image shows some prep on board before glassed.

saltybalty
01-07-2013, 11:22 PM
Since the seat spans more than 54 inches would I be able to create a seat bottom that would be stable enough to bridge that much of a gap. I feel like any type of joint in the composite would fail under significant weight.

jakethebt
01-07-2013, 11:34 PM
I guess I have not torn in to my seat base to see what the substrate is...

mikeg205
01-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Since the seat spans more than 54 inches would I be able to create a seat bottom that would be stable enough to bridge that much of a gap. I feel like any type of joint in the composite would fail under significant weight.

You can get it in 96 x 54 but really pricey...marine plywood and resin coated? that would work. Thought I had a source for replacement panels...but can't find tonight...

Table Rocker
01-08-2013, 12:27 AM
Here is a honeycomb aluminum panel source:
http://www.portafab.com/marine.html

saltybalty
01-08-2013, 09:03 AM
If my back seat looked like that I wouldn't tear into it either! Thanks for the honeycomb source. I imagine shipping is costly. And thank you everyone else for your help too. I am excited to be a member of this community. Keep those suggestions coming

JimN
01-08-2013, 10:10 AM
I use imageshack on my droid phone and posting on other forums haven't had issues. I tried the alternate forum link they provide and the pictures didn't show up. I will figure it out before I post pics again. So my apologies for the oversized images.

The seat appears to be factory and I have heard others mention honeycomb seat bases as well. I just can't find any posts to reference right now. Anyone know how the weight of the honeycomb will compare to the weight of the composite board?

If you send the photos to an online site, you can go back later to re-size them- online photos don't need to be higher resolution than 72dpi (if that's the only units offered). Most start at 300dpi and are too large but most photo viewing software offers some way to easily re-size.

JimN
01-08-2013, 10:11 AM
If my back seat looked like that I wouldn't tear into it either! Thanks for the honeycomb source. I imagine shipping is costly. And thank you everyone else for your help too. I am excited to be a member of this community. Keep those suggestions coming

Might be a more local source, too.

TxsRiverRat
01-08-2013, 10:43 AM
I have to ask the obvious but unasked question... Why would anyone have modified the seat that way...? :confused:

saltybalty
01-08-2013, 09:46 PM
It must have been stood in for too many years. Someone else in this thread had the issue. The previous owner installed some extra treated wood to extend the area the seat sits on to prevent the problem from getting worse

ricford
01-08-2013, 11:38 PM
My boat's in storage a hundred miles away, but I'm sure the base is made of that Starboard composite material. It's the same year, why would Mastercraft make two different rear seats in the same year. Strange.

Cloaked
12-28-2013, 02:31 PM
update?

Jeffer
12-31-2013, 02:09 PM
My 1996 Prostar 190 had a honeycomb aluminum rear seat base, which was also crushed on hue he corners. So I think that material was common.

chooverton
02-27-2014, 02:05 PM
purchased my 96 205 last year and towards the end of the summer i noticed mine had been crushed as well. It looks bent exactly like the first pictures. I even keep a kneeboard under there so i cant imagine how much worse it might be had i not kept it under there to give a bit of support.

I know it has been a year or so, but did anyone ever come up with a solution/fix to this?

Dynamite Spike
03-23-2014, 08:19 PM
My 96 rear seat had exactly the same problem. I recently had the interior re-done and I decided to ditch the one piece aluminum honeycomb rear seat base and make a 3-piece seat base with a supporting frame out of treated plywood. The center section is removable and can be stowed underneath. Now there is a solid platform to stand on instead of the seat cushion when getting in and out of the boat. The two side sections can also be removed to access the storage bins.
I finished the frame today, now I need to waterproof it with resin and cover with carpet.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/24/sameba3u.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/24/bage5ana.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/24/amabypyh.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/24/jyje3eda.jpg

thatsmrmastercraft
03-23-2014, 08:31 PM
My 96 rear seat had exactly the same problem. I recently had the interior re-done and I decided to ditch the one piece aluminum honeycomb rear seat base and make a 3-piece seat base with a supporting frame out of treated plywood. The center section is removable and can be stowed underneath. Now there is a solid platform to stand on instead of the seat cushion when getting in and out of the boat. The two side sections can also be removed to access the storage bins.
I finished the frame today, now I need to waterproof it with resin and cover with carpet.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/24/sameba3u.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/24/bage5ana.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/24/amabypyh.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/24/jyje3eda.jpg

That is looking great. I was resisting adding a rear seat to my boat, but after seeing they way you put this together..............time to add on more thing to the To Do List.

mikeg205
03-23-2014, 08:58 PM
looks awesome!! there's going to be some really cool 90's era boats that will be considered classics in a few years... :)

mgs96ps
03-23-2014, 09:05 PM
I finished the frame today, now I need to waterproof it with resin and cover with carpet.

Very Nice. I really like the three piece. Seems like a no brainer if your doing new interior. I did the full support as well and line-x'd my frame. I would however reconsider where you screwed into fiberglass on ends just so you can quick access under floor. Weird not seeing the gas tank in there.

Dynamite Spike
03-23-2014, 09:06 PM
looks awesome!! there's going to be some really cool 90's era boats that will be considered classics in a few years... :)

Thanks, Mike. The next addition is going to be a fill-in cushion for the bow area and a Perspex wind break in the walk-through.

Table Rocker
03-23-2014, 09:38 PM
I finished the frame today, now I need to waterproof it with resin and cover with carpet.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/24/bage5ana.jpg
Your upholstery looks fantastic! I really like the diamond pattern.

Dynamite Spike
03-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Very Nice. I really like the three piece. Seems like a no brainer if your doing new interior. I did the full support as well and line-x'd my frame. I would however reconsider where you screwed into fiberglass on ends just so you can quick access under floor. Weird not seeing the gas tank in there.

You have a point...it's only four screws holding it in. So not really that much more work to access the under floor.