PDA

View Full Version : Indmar 350 MCX hose connections

lazyade
12-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Anyone been able to locate a diagram of the hose connections on the Indmar 350 MCX? Am in the middle of fitting a new engine and want to make sure I get the indirect cooling, raw water, gearbox cooling and exhaust risers all connected properly!

Thanks

PureInboards
12-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Open or closed cooling system?

lazyade
12-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Open or closed cooling system?

Closed loop cooling.

Bouyhead
12-22-2012, 05:35 PM

lazyade
12-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Do you have a closed cooling system with a heat exchanger that uses anti freeze, or the standard cooling system that uses raw water?

We have the salt water series, with a heat exchanger.

GoneBoatN
12-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Maybe you can find the information you are looking for at ftp://ftp2.indmar.us/Service%20Information/Water%20Flow%20Diagrams/

lazyade
12-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Maybe you can find the information you are looking for at ftp://ftp2.indmar.us/Service%20Information/Water%20Flow%20Diagrams/

Excellent, thanks. I'm still a bit confused at the previous owner on my boat has but cast iron exhaust manifolds on, which have a a two water fittings at each end, one larger one by the water pump and a smaller one by the transmission. Looking at the diagrams at the above FTP site my boat (half indirect cooling, half raw water) shouldn't have two water take offs from each manifold. Not sure where the smaller diameter take offs go - guess I might see once the engine is back in the boat!

PureInboards
12-23-2012, 03:51 PM
picture might be easier to work with as its doesn't sound like its standard

Bouyhead
12-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Excellent, thanks. I'm still a bit confused at the previous owner on my boat has but cast iron exhaust manifolds on, which have a a two water fittings at each end, one larger one by the water pump and a smaller one by the transmission. Looking at the diagrams at the above FTP site my boat (half indirect cooling, half raw water) shouldn't have two water take offs from each manifold. Not sure where the smaller diameter take offs go - guess I might see once the engine is back in the boat!

Three scotches to the wind but here it goes: the fittings on your manifold toward the front or the motor should come from your thermostat housing, to send water to cool the exhaust gases. The fittings on the rear of the manifolds, by the transmission are for draining/winterization purposes. I think.

GoneBoatN
12-23-2012, 10:32 PM

Three scotches to the wind but here it goes: the fittings on your manifold toward the front or the motor should come from your thermostat housing, to send water to cool the exhaust gases. The fittings on the rear of the manifolds, by the transmission are for draining/winterization purposes. I think.

The diagram for my engine EXT CAT RWC shows the drain hoses Bouyhead mentions. Some of the other diagrams also show the drain hoses. However I don't see the drain hoses mentioned in a few of the other diagrams. I just don't know if they did not bother to show them or if they really are not to be there. I could see then not using the drain hoses on the FWC systems. I see "Annually, you should remove the end caps to drain and inspect
the heat exchanger." in one of the service advisories at the same site. Also makes me think maybe drain hoses are not used on closed cooled systems. BTY I used FileZilla FTP Client and downloaded all the documents at that site so that I have them local on my PC.

Maybe someone with a closed cooled system on this forum can shed some light on this one.

lazyade
12-24-2012, 05:02 AM
I'm in a ProStar 190 boat share too, and that boat has blanking plates at the transmission end of the manifolds. I'll get some photos up today. I think maybe the previous owner has got a bit carried away!

Bouyhead as mines a salt water series the intake manifold and cylinder heads are cooled with antifreeze (indirect), so that coolant doesn't exit via the exhaust manifolds. I think it's just the raw water that goes into the manifolds. I'll get some pics uploaded.

lazyade
12-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Attached is a picture of the exhaust riser, showing the two fittings for water on the riser (transmission end and water pump end). Personally I think the transmission end needs blanking off (as raw water is fed from the water pump end and exits into the exhaust itself. What do you guys think?

PureInboards
12-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Ah I think that is what someone referred to as the drain pipe but anyway it should be connected to the manifold on the opposite side so it is essentially a balance pipe that connects the 2 manifolds together, this pipe usually has a connector halfway along it that can be easily removed so that the manifolds can be drained hence the term drain pipe.

lazyade
12-28-2012, 04:52 AM
I went to look at actual boat yesterday and found the above mentioned balancing pipe that goes between the manifolds. Seemed to be way longer than needed (about 6 ft), I'm guessing it doesn't need to be that long.

PureInboards
01-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Usually runs over the gearbox so that it makes it easier to drain