PDA

View Full Version : How to price used equipment

kgrove
12-19-2012, 12:31 AM
I'm looking to sell a 2008 Ronix Ibex board (144) and 2008 Ronix Cell boots (11), both in very good condition. The likely buyers are not really friends, but I run across them often enough I don't want to seem like I'm trying to rip them off. At the same time, I want to get as much as I can out of the stuff. What is market value for 4 year old equipment like this? How do you price it? In case I don't sell to one of these guys, where have you had the most success selling your used equipment? eBay? Elsewhere?

mikeg205
12-19-2012, 01:35 AM
watch what is selling on ebay and see what the items go for. decide on what amount your willing to part them for...then start negotiating...i.e. I bought some new old stock of Phantom boot. seller wanted 129 each - I wanted to spend no more than 150 for the pair and no more than 15 for shipping. so I low balled he came back at 109...then I said 150 for the pair plus 15 delivery cash now in paypal...type the type of boot and see what people are selling them for now. see how easy to find. go cheap on freight - you can calculate on web.

use ebay to see if there is demand... if there's demand then you have a chance...just be fair...and everyone will be happy.

be ready to walk away from low ball offers or counter by sweetening the deal. American Pickers is a good place to see goo negotiation practice. if you want an auction - start just below a fair price and no reserve - my .02...

Jerseydave
12-19-2012, 05:04 AM
Brand new last year's model boots and boards are 40-50% off list price (usually).

4 year old used equip, I say offer 25% of original list price. ($600 board worth $150 and so on)

GoneBoatN
12-19-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm with Jerseydave on the value. Also, Craigslist is used a lot in my area for stuff like this. Typically I price it to sell quickly = less fuss, is out of house, no haggling as it is a good price, get some of the money back. Just be done with it type of attitude. You also got to look at what a new one costs. Be realistic. You can say the board is worth $xxx.xx but reality is that no one ever buys it for suggested retail. So for example I can walk into my local shop any buy a new board at 40-50% off right now. You have to compete with that and make it worth somebody's trouble to buy used.

_fng_
12-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Typically I price it to sell quickly = less fuss, is out of house, no haggling as it is a good price, get some of the money back. Just be done with it type of attitude.

Agree 100% my fiancee puts stuff on CL for near retail and can't figure out why her stuff isn't selling despite it being "almost new". I'd say $100-150 should get the setup off your hands which is a good recoup of cost imo. Just don't be that guy selling a directional board for $300 cause its "barely been used" lol

Tristarboarder
12-19-2012, 11:56 PM
50% of original, especially if it is 4 years old....just my .02......recession as well...