PDA

View Full Version : recent startup of "click" noise from dizzy 351W

strad
12-18-2012, 06:57 PM
It did not used to do this. I recently replaced the distributor cap, and I've fired it up twice since then (on the hose, I have not run it on the lake). The first time no clicking noise, sounded just like before I replaced it. The second time I have a click, sounds like once each engine revolution (guessing). It is coming from the distributor at least it sounds loudest in that location. I pulled the cap, thinking mechanical contact of some kind. No dice. Everything inside looks like it's supposed to, no hitting going on between rotor and cap. And why would there be, seeing as caps are the same? So I'm at a loss as to why it started making this clicking noise. Any ideas? Should I worry? I'm the worrying kind lol.

I've linked a vid. You can hear the clicking when I have the camera close to the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fumfAU6FpsQ&feature=youtu.be

Jerseydave
12-18-2012, 07:35 PM
If the rotor is not hitting the inside of the cap anywhere, maybe a loose wire on the cap and you're hearing the spark arcing? Hard to tell by your video.

Nice boat BTW :D

strad
12-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Well it'd be embarrassing to tell y'all what the exact cause was. But suffice to say it is not doing it anymore lol.

SP Maristar
12-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Mum's the word. Glad you found and fixed the problem.

JMann
12-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Oh come on you have to tell. It could help one of us avoid doing the same thing at some point.

Fess up!

03geetee
12-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Tell us!

JTR

milkmania
12-19-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm leaning towards Jerseydave hitting the nail on the head.......

thatsmrmastercraft
12-19-2012, 11:33 PM
I'm with Jerseydave's first thought. Been there before myself.

strad
12-20-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm leaning towards Jerseydave hitting the nail on the head.......

Yup, only worse. It was running on seven cylinders, through no fault of its own. I had disconnected a lead to spray penetrating oil on the manifold bolts, and then forgotten to reconnect it, and indeed forgotten that I disconnected it in the first place. It was number five, so being on the other side of the boat while I was starting the engine and working the throttle, I did not see it the first day. JerseyDave put me on the right track. I need fewer distractions in my life lol.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Yup, only worse. It was running on seven cylinders, through no fault of its own. I had disconnected a lead to spray penetrating oil on the manifold bolts, and then forgotten to reconnect it, and indeed forgotten that I disconnected it in the first place. It was number five, so being on the other side of the boat while I was starting the engine and working the throttle, I did not see it the first day. JerseyDave put me on the right track. I need fewer distractions in my life lol.

Those kind of things happen to anyone who works on an engine long enough. Learning the hard way works, and enforces checking the basics first.

Jerseydave
12-20-2012, 07:38 PM

So.......what do I win? I've never been to Vegas before, so maybe I'll be needing a ski session in the desert someday. Or a ride to the nearest wh***house. :D

CantRepeat
12-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Regardless, glad you got it fixed!!!

btw: It happens to all of us. Thanks for sharing it man!

strad
12-20-2012, 10:21 PM
So.......what do I win? I've never been to Vegas before, so maybe I'll be needing a ski session in the desert someday. Or a ride to the nearest wh***house. :D

Yes on the ski session if you ever get here. The wife wouldn't approve of the other activity though :D

You know it's funny, I can tell immediately if any of my inline six engines are misfiring. Couldn't tell with this V8, not by sound anyways.

Jerseydave
12-21-2012, 09:56 AM
You're always welcome to a pull here if you're ever near NJ/NY/PA.