PDA

View Full Version : Touareg Tdi for towing and DD

Duane D
12-16-2012, 03:57 PM
I have noticed in several threads that many of you on this board have VW Touaregs as your tow vehicle. My wife and I are considering trading from our '04 Tahoe into a 2011 Touareg Tdi to serve as tow pig and daily driver for her. On paper you get the best of both worlds with great fuel economy and towing capacity.

For those of you that have one, is there anything you DON'T like about them? Has anyone had any maintenance or reliability issues?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Duane

ttu
12-16-2012, 04:30 PM
i have a 2012 lux tdi with 6500 miles and it has been great. coming from a 07 land cruiser that got 15 hwy and 8 towing the touareg has been great. about 30mpg hwy and the one time i towed long distance i got about 16.5 doing 75 mph for 200 miles each way.

mine has a 100K warranty.

MattsCraft
12-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Can't say anything bad, only have 6200 miles so far. Getting around 29 MPG's all around and 14 to 16 towing. Currently tow an X2, will be towing an X25 next summer, don't see an issue with the extra 1000lbs, can't really tell the boat is there. Strongly suggest this hitch, eliminates the clank.
http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Softride/SR26039.html

As far as a daily driver,,, awesome... Tow vehicle,,, Awesome...

If you question it's safety, don't... See this post:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=49739&highlight=Touareg

ttu
12-16-2012, 06:05 PM
i bought the hitch that matt recommended and it does what he said!

h2oskifreak
12-16-2012, 06:25 PM
My wife had a Touareg she bought with her ex. She swears it was the worst rig she ever owned. Not sure what year it was, but it has trans. issues from day one and always was in the shop. She said she would never own another. I know there can be lemons in any line, but she drives a 2012 4Runner Limited, owned it for 1 year and 10K on it now, she says it's 10x the vehicle the VW was. No dog in the fight, but be careful.

Tristarboarder
12-16-2012, 07:04 PM
My friend has a a V10 TDI, and I got drive it several times......Kills it, nice luxury, super fast, every option imaginable, lots of power, super nice ride, German Engineering....I recommend it

j2nh
12-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Early Touareg's were trouble. I know I had one. The touareg and Porsche Cayenne, built on the same assembly line, were initially designed for two batteries. Just before introduction this was changed to one battery under the drivers seat. As a result some of the early touaregs had almost impossible to diagnose electrical gremlins.

About the only thing that did work flawlessly on our 04 were the engine and transmission. The transmission was a sealed unit that was manufactured by ZF in Germany.

VW gave us a great deal on an 06 and we put 60K miles on it without a single problem. I'd recommend or purchase another one in a heartbeat. I needed the third row so went with the Audi Q7 in 09.

Duane D
12-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks for all the feeback fellas! A dealer near me has a beautiful 2011 Sport (basic model) with 25k miles on it. I am trying to convince myself going from a <10k vehicle to a 35-40k vehicle is worth it.

I am a diesel lover at heart and get giddy over the thought of hearing that Tdi idling every day. The mileage these things pull down is almost unbelievable to me, but everyone that owns one says they get 27-28 mpg in mixed driving. That is just rediculous for a truck(?) that weighs a sandwich short of 5000 lbs!

I would be towing my '06 X2 and am glad to hear that TTU and Mattscraft does so well. Matt, I read your whole thread when you posted on that horrible accident and I am glad that it was not worse for those involved. That thread is a big reason I started looking at these vehilces in the first place!

I heard about the electrical gremlins of the 1st generation models. From everything I can find, these appear to be in the past and the newest generation is having good success.

jdl xstar
12-18-2012, 09:04 AM
I have noticed in several threads that many of you on this board have VW Touaregs as your tow vehicle. My wife and I are considering trading from our '04 Tahoe into a 2011 Touareg Tdi to serve as tow pig and daily driver for her. On paper you get the best of both worlds with great fuel economy and towing capacity.

For those of you that have one, is there anything you DON'T like about them? Has anyone had any maintenance or reliability issues?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Duane

If I am forced to think of something I don't like, it might be the smaller interior space in the back when the rear seats are down. Example: I used to be able to fit two mountain bikes in my old ford explorer and with the T-Reg, its a struggle to get 1 to fit. If you are going from a tahoe to a T-reg you will most certainly tell the difference. But then i ask myself how often do I try to chuck 2 bikes in the back?

Another thing I miss about a more universal SUV is being able to get the oil changed at a regular jiffy lube. With the T-reg, these euro cars are supposed to be taken care of at euro auto dealerships or places that specialize in these types of cars. Even though Im still in the free oil service window, I don't like having to set up an appontment and make a big deal over a silly oil change. I miss the 10 minute drive up and leave places!

But these complaints are worth the car. They are fun to drive since they handle so well with full time all wheel drive. As for towing, they are great. Just a solid, smart, capable suv... oh, and very safe!

east tx skier
12-18-2012, 09:30 AM
If I am forced to think of something I don't like, it might be the smaller interior space in the back when the rear seats are down. Example: I used to be able to fit two mountain bikes in my old ford explorer and with the T-Reg, its a struggle to get 1 to fit. If you are going from a tahoe to a T-reg you will most certainly tell the difference. But then i ask myself how often do I try to chuck 2 bikes in the back?

Another thing I miss about a more universal SUV is being able to get the oil changed at a regular jiffy lube. With the T-reg, these euro cars are supposed to be taken care of at euro auto dealerships or places that specialize in these types of cars. Even though Im still in the free oil service window, I don't like having to set up an appontment and make a big deal over a silly oil change. I miss the 10 minute drive up and leave places!

But these complaints are worth the car. They are fun to drive since they handle so well with full time all wheel drive. As for towing, they are great. Just a solid, smart, capable suv... oh, and very safe!

I just buy the correct oil and filter online and drop it off at the small garage across the street from my office. I hear your about the peculiarities of VW and the apparent inability of most shops to service them. But oil changes are the one thing that is not unusual.

I just scan my receipts. Had a major engine malfunction due to a fouled injector. They asked for oil change records, I gave them my receipts, and no problemo.

This is a 2010 CC. I am assuming there's nothing too unusual about oil changes on a Toureg.

/CC has a top mount oil filter. Very tempted to hook it up to my pump I use for the boat. But for the $15 my local shop charges for a change, why bother.

//If you haven't already, think about investing in a VAGCOM/VCDS diagnostic cable from Ross-Tech. They are spendy, but my local Indy Euro mechanic doesn't charge me the typical $90 per scan.

Duane D
12-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Great info jdl and Eastie. Thanks much. One of my concers is the cost of routine maint once the free/included services run out. After talking to the dealership some more yesterday, we have decided to hold off for a while. We just can't justify all the extra expense right now when the Tahoe fits our needs fine.

The thought of the Tdi is still tugging though, so we are going to re-evaluate in March when I get my bonus.

Thanks again everyone for the great input. We will most likely upgrade to the T-Reg one of these days once we figure out all the costs and our finances.

east tx skier
12-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Maintenance is definitely more expensive on my current car than on my past cars (Hondas). Oil changes require synthetic, spark plugs have 40K mile change intervals. 93 Octane required. After my big warranty claim, and facing the end of my powertrain warranty, I refinanced and got a 5 year service plan rolled in. The cost of peace of mind is $17 per month. Well worth it.

On the other side, the car drives like a dream, gets 35 mpg on the highway at 70 mph, is chipped up to about 270 hp and 300 ft/lbs of torque, and is fast enough for the old man.

ttu
12-18-2012, 10:30 PM
as with JDL i was concerned going from such a big suv with 3rd row seating to a smaller touareg but with one son in college i very often used the 3rd row. once i towed once with t-rex i was hooked plus the way it handled.

we are heading to colorado on the 27th for skiing and can't wait. i figured with the mpg's i got out of my land cruiser vs the touraeg i will save almost $250 in just fuel alone.

JulioX2
05-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Any Toureg/ Q7 owners. DO you have the air levelling suspension? HOw much sag do you get when hooked up to the boat? Like most of you, I'll be towing an X2. Looking for thoughts and advice on pros/cons with this vehicle.
I'm looking at the new Q7 TDI with the S-line package.

Thanks for some of the insight into these vehicles.

Duane D
05-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Our Touareg is a 2012, so we don't have the air suspension. We get a little squat, but no more than my dad's single rear wheel F350, the T-Reg just doesn't sit up as high to start. We LOVE ours so far and we are averaging 27.9 mpg since February in all suburban driving. It is the nicest car we have ever owned at it never lacks for power towing the boat. No complaints at all.

JulioX2
05-22-2013, 07:03 PM
DUane any options you wish you'd have now? Giving the time you've had the vehicle? THe mileage you get is great.

Duane D
05-22-2013, 10:45 PM
The 2012's don't come with a backup camera in any trim level. The 2011's and '13s do though. The dealership claimed that the tsunami in Japan took out the plant that makes the back up camera, so none of the '12s had one. Im not 100% sure that is true, but i had them go so far as to call a VW engineer to see what it would take to add it to ours and the price was astronomical. When hooking up the trailer by myself it would be nice, but not a must have for me.

Ours is the Sport model and it has (almost) every gadget known to man as standard. Lux model gets you 20" wheels vs 18, headrests that adjust fore and aft, memory seats, a panoramic sunroof, and a few more baubles. Exec gets all that plus push button start.

east tx skier
05-22-2013, 10:51 PM
The 2012's don't come with a backup camera in any trim level. The 2011's and '13s do though. The dealership claimed that the tsunami in Japan took out the plant that makes the back up camera, so none of the '12s had one. Im not 100% sure that is true, but i had them go so far as to call a VW engineer to see what it would take to add it to ours and the price was astronomical. When hooking up the trailer by myself it would be nice, but not a must have for me.

Ours is the Sport model and it has (almost) every gadget known to man as standard. Lux model gets you 20" wheels vs 18, headrests that adjust fore and aft, memory seats, a panoramic sunroof, and a few more baubles. Exec gets all that plus push button start.

That is true about the backup cameras. There is a good source in Poland that will get them for you for about $500 (this si the flip up badge cameras). These are OEM parts (not the Chinese knock offs you see on ebay). I just ordered an upgraded Bluetooth module for mine. If you have an RNS510 or RNS315, the camera is plug and play (with some wire running). You can also buy a $25 camera on ebay and rig the wiring to work with the aforementioned stereos. If you have the RCD510, the RNS is a quick swap (15 minutes tops). They are not cheap though (even used). My CC is a Sport model. Bought a used RNS off a guy on VWvortex and had it in in nothing flat.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AA7KFQAbLBs/T84TfMh5xmI/AAAAAAAAFTA/nUZXKdssrNA/s1024/RNS510.jpg

Duane D
05-22-2013, 11:31 PM
That is true about the backup cameras. There is a good source in Poland that will get them for you for about $500 (this si the flip up badge cameras). These are OEM parts (not the Chinese knock offs you see on ebay). I just ordered an upgraded Bluetooth module for mine. If you have an RNS510 or RNS315, the camera is plug and play (with some wire running). You can also buy a $25 camera on ebay and rig the wiring to work with the aforementioned stereos. If you have the RCD510, the RNS is a quick swap (15 minutes tops). They are not cheap though (even used). My CC is a Sport model. Bought a used RNS off a guy on VWvortex and had it in in nothing flat.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AA7KFQAbLBs/T84TfMh5xmI/AAAAAAAAFTA/nUZXKdssrNA/s1024/RNS510.jpg

Wow! How do I know which touch screen/radio module I have? I think I followed what you said, but I got lost in all the RNS and RCD numbers. Thanks again Eastie. You are truly a wealth of info here on boats and VWs!