PDA

View Full Version : Question about starter citcuit

BigBarney
09-11-2005, 07:15 PM
I'm trying to isolate my starting battery from the deep cycle battery. An electrical engineer I am not, but I was thinking that all I really need to do is disconnect the wire leading from the starter/solenoid to the in-boat battery connections, run a new wire to the starting battery, hook the in-boat battery connections to the deep cycle, hook up the isolator, and I'm done.

My assumption is that the key switch (connected to the starter/solenoid) lets power to the starter and I am only changing the source of power. Thoughts from anyone?

Workin' 4 Toys
09-11-2005, 11:29 PM
Is this what yours looks like?

BigBarney
09-12-2005, 01:02 AM
Mine's a pretty similar setup. Instead of pulling certain loads off the main wires and running to the auxillary battery, I thought that it would be easier to just remove the starter load.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Mine's a pretty similar setup. Instead of pulling certain loads off the main wires and running to the auxillary battery, I thought that it would be easier to just remove the starter load.
Are you looking for easier, or better? Sounds like you need to move to the better setup. It's all about the isolator. A good quality isolator for what you are doing sounds like the best way to go.

BigBarney
09-13-2005, 12:58 AM
I bought an isolator from Hellroaring technologies. Took a look at the setup the radio shop did and they goofed. i believe that I can straighten it out though.