PDA

View Full Version : 310 predator exhaust gaskets

munkymush
12-16-2012, 12:36 PM
ive just removed the manifolds from a 2003 predator engine to find it hasnt got any gaskets between the head and manifold? a guy i know told me his indmar engine yrs ago never had any fitted either? is this correct or should there be some? thanks glenn

TOO-TALL
12-16-2012, 12:45 PM
My 2003 MCX was the same.
When I rebuilt the motor I put in gaskests and also used high temp silicone.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
12-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Gaskets are not needed when items are new, being smooth and true, when servicing these items gaskets are required, alot of mfgs do this, it cuts down on production costs.

munkymush
12-16-2012, 07:58 PM
i will get gaskest and fit them seeing as its 9years old now.. one other thing ,the thermostat on this engine was fitted in the bottom housing, ie where it would be in a car not in the top thermostat housing, im sure ive only ever seen the stat fitted under the top thermo housing cover? is this correct ?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
12-16-2012, 08:17 PM
i will get gaskest and fit them seeing as its 9years old now.. one other thing ,the thermostat on this engine was fitted in the bottom housing, ie where it would be in a car not in the top thermostat housing, im sure ive only ever seen the stat fitted under the top thermo housing cover? is this correct ?

Hmmm. Good question my ford has the thermostat on the upper part of the housing not on the intake manifold side, maybe somebody with a 310 predator can chime in.

munkymush
12-17-2012, 03:27 AM
ive always thought the reason for the extended housing with the top stat is to allow water to get through the manifolds while the stats closed?

mikeg205
12-17-2012, 07:37 AM
This is informative and answers your question on water circulation in marine engines.

http://www.boatinghowto.com/content/how-boat-cooling-systems-work-240/