PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Tundra

mah2496
12-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Considering trading my 2008 chevy Z71 2wd with 5.3 for a 2010 toyota tundra 2wd with 5.7. Has anyone logged 75 to 100k miles on a tundra yet that can comment on reliability, quality, etc. Ive had only chevy trucks. After four I think its time to switch. Each chevy Ive had began using oil, lost power and MPG near 100k miles despite regular maintenance.

sxerob
12-15-2012, 02:14 PM
I can't comment on the reliability as I have only had a Toyota for 60k. I can say they are becoming great contenders in both looks and performance to the US trucks. I was born with a bow tie in my hand but I could see myself owning a new Tundra one day.

cmarty123
12-15-2012, 02:28 PM
I bought a used 2008 Sequoia almost 2 years ago and have almost 74k on it. I'm loving it. The only thing I've done to it other than tires is a new set of front brake pads. I change the oil every 5k and the level on the dipstick never seems to move. I would highly recommend it...

aarosurf
12-15-2012, 02:37 PM
My 2007 tundra (first year with the current body style) currently has about 75,000 miles. The only thing I've had to do with it besides new tires is replace a squeaky tensioner pulley.

sand2snow22
12-15-2012, 02:39 PM
From what I understand biggest problem is the air induction pumps. I have a 2011 with 6k miles never a problem knock on wood.

ncsone
12-15-2012, 02:55 PM
55K on mine and no issues whatsoever. I change the oil every 10K w. synthetic; other than that it is just tires and brake pads. They do seem to go through pads/rotors fairly quickly, though as they are heavy vehicles. Oh, and the 5.7l is an awesome motor, but does drink the gas!

Panda Cub
12-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Had a 2000 tundra, and got rid of it at 70ish thousand miles. Now I have a 2000 tacoma with 170k on it, and haven't done anything but oil changes, brakes and other basic routine maintenance. My dad had a 2005 Sequioa, and put 60k on it then sold it, and never had an issue. Plus they are made in the USA, which is plus.

aarosurf
12-15-2012, 03:45 PM
From what I understand biggest problem is the air induction pumps. I have a 2011 with 6k miles never a problem knock on wood.

I've heard this too, but I believe the AIP issue is now covered for 10 years or 150,000 miles:

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/2011/11/17/toyota-warranties-air-injection-pump/

MichaelD
12-15-2012, 03:58 PM
My first truck was a Toyota and I ran 260k on it without any major repairs. They are very reliable. However, I also owned a Ford 250 that I ran 230k miles, a Ford 150 that I put 100k and a Chevy S10 with 120k.
Bottom Line: If you take care of it, it will likely last a long long time. Unless of course it is a Land Rover (my current truck).

Panda Cub
12-15-2012, 04:20 PM
My first truck was a Toyota and I ran 260k on it without any major repairs. They are very reliable. However, I also owned a Ford 250 that I ran 230k miles, a Ford 150 that I put 100k and a Chevy S10 with 120k.
Bottom Line: If you take care of it, it will likely last a long long time. Unless of course it is a Land Rover (my current truck).

Could not agree more! Sorry to hear you own a Land Rover, I've heard nothing but bad things about them. Preventative maintenance is key, the owners manual on mine recommends valve adjustments on the tacoma every 30k (I think) and getting those done, and doing the routine maintenance keeps the baby running! I try to buy products that put Americans to work, and knowing Tundras are built in San Antonio is a big plus for me! A tundra will definitely be my next truck!

I sold my first one when I went to college because I didn't want a nice pick up just sitting in a parking lot in front of my dorm depreciating. I've had my tacoma and both have been great! When I finally get my house paid off I'll buy a Tundra! LOVE EM!

mah2496
12-15-2012, 07:42 PM
My Coworker was a long time chevy guy too. He's got 150k on his tundra and swears by it. Says its just as powerful and smooth as day he bought it.

mwg
12-15-2012, 08:09 PM
I bought a used 2010 earlier this year with 40k miles on it. It's a great truck, I love it, but check the water pump. The 5.7 is known to have issues with the water pump at around 40k-5k miles. I noticed a slight build up of dried coolant at the weep at 45k miles. Since mine was a certified Toyota warranty covered the replacement. Also the AIP is covered for 10 years/150k miles.

Chief
12-15-2012, 08:30 PM
I have a 2010 and love it, Also it's like a corvette with a truck bed, man it will run. The only thing I don't like is the sensitivity of the gas pedal, very jumpy.

CantRepeat
12-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Doesn't Sodar have a Toy Tundra too? If I remember he said it pulls great, not sure what year his is.

carlsonwa
12-15-2012, 11:41 PM
I have a 09' Tacoma, double cab. Love it ! It's my second Tacoma. Plan to stick with Toyota pickups for a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jerseydave
12-16-2012, 10:39 AM
I've always been a Chevy/GM owner and I looked into the Tundra but after speaking to a few owners of them they said mpg is not so good, like 14/16.

I jumped ship and got a '13 F150 eco-boost....love it! Rides nice, plenty of power, interior is like a luxury car loaded with creature comforts. I have not towed with it yet, but I have friends with the same truck and they say it tows very similar to a powerstroke.

I say test drive them all and see what yoo like best.

swb911
12-16-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm with JerseyDave. I buy a truck every three years, and each time have the dealers bring dodge, ford, Chevy and Toyota out to mg place. I thought last year was going to be Toyota... Before I drove them. Even the Toyota sales guy agreed that the f150 was superior when we drove and compared them side by side. 40k now and still think its probably the best truck I've ever had. 2012 f150 KingRanch crewcab

mah2496
12-16-2012, 02:28 PM
F150 is possibility. Like that interior the best. Was set on an ecoboost but Ive read too many stories about ecoboost issues. Would probably go for 5.0 over ecoboost since I tow long distance only once or twice year. Im still leaning towards the 5.7 tundra

swb911
12-16-2012, 08:31 PM
I have ecoboost in another car(ford flex) although hard to beat the 6.2 for towing. Not sure about the 5.0 the ecoboost was a close comparison in drivability to the old 5.7, although I would agree to be a bit concerned with heavy towing.

maxpower220
12-17-2012, 10:07 AM
I just purchased a 13 F150 EB. Went back to Ford after a couple of Chevy Avalanches. Just try to test drive a Tundra 5.7 and then an EcoBoost. The EB is in a different league.

Good luck on your truck purchase.

76S&S
12-17-2012, 10:34 AM
My wifes Sequoia, bought new in 04 now has 201,xxx miles on it. Yes I know I need to get her a new vehicle.

My first Toyota, rolled up about 350,000 before the radiator let go and overheated the engine.

edit: My F350 with the 7.3 now has about 220,000.
Maintenance is the key to longevity.

TxsRiverRat
12-17-2012, 10:41 AM
I pull my PS205 with a Tacoma and it has 190,000 miles - no engine or transmission issues

scott023
12-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Considering trading my 2008 chevy Z71 2wd with 5.3 for a 2010 toyota tundra 2wd with 5.7. Has anyone logged 75 to 100k miles on a tundra yet that can comment on reliability, quality, etc. Ive had only chevy trucks. After four I think its time to switch. Each chevy Ive had began using oil, lost power and MPG near 100k miles despite regular maintenance.

I didn't know that you could get the Z71 package on a 2WD model? The Z71 package is supposed to be the "offroad package", so doesn't make sense to have it be 2WD.

mah2496
12-17-2012, 02:17 PM
I didn't know that you could get the Z71 package on a 2WD model? The Z71 package is supposed to be the "offroad package", so doesn't make sense to have it be 2WD.

When the current body style came out they offered Z 71 package on 2wd drives. It includes a heavier suspension, transmission cooler, z71 wheels, locking diff, et cetera. The Z71 emblem just doesnt have 4x4 below the Z. Ive seen colorados with this pkg as wheel.

CruisinGA
12-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Been a Toyota guy all of my driving life.

Recently bought an '06 Tundra Limited 4x4 with 60,000 miles. So far I am pretty happy with it. Larger bed than similar Ford and Chevy 4 door trucks is nice for carrying my dirtbikes.
Get 17-18 mpg highway. 16-17 mixed.

gts-20
12-17-2012, 05:34 PM
I love my Tundra. I'm on my second, a '11 Rock Warrior Crewmax 4X4. It just rolled over 35k miles. We've towed with it for a lot of miles, and no problems. My first Tundra was an '08 Double cab 4x2. I put 57k miles on it before trading it in. Both had/have the 5.7. The only downside to the 5.7 is not being able to pass a gas station without filling up. They drink fuel. In my 4x4, I get 13-14 mpg in town, 16-17 on the highway, and 9-10 towing. Another new issue I'm dealing with, I have recently moved into a gated community with very small/narrow driveways and gates, the monster Tundra can be a bi@tch to manuver in tight places.

I do like the F150's, but I work for a Toyota dealer. They might give me a hard time if I was to show up with the competition.

Sullivan
12-17-2012, 06:32 PM
I would seriously look at the new Ram 1500 with the Hemi and 8-Speed transmission. New air ride suspension too. The nicest interior too.

Aric'sX15
12-17-2012, 07:07 PM
No offense to the toyota guys, but they're hideous! IMO. My friend has a crew max platinum edition, and my new 2011 FX2 F150 has a much nicer interior. The seats are more comfortable, and has a LOT of power in the new 5.0. very happy with the new truck. tows awesome and I'm averaging 17.0 MPG's right now. I just traded in my silverado texas edition in on it, tows 100000x better! chevy was a dog with the 4 speed transmission. drove a new sierra with the 6 speed tranny and i couldnt tell any difference between that and my old truck. both had the 5.3.
Ford is making the nicest trucks these days for sure!
I also drove one before buying the ford. way too wide for sure.

Sodar
12-17-2012, 07:08 PM
I have an '10 Tundra CrewMax Limited. I'll echo everything everyone has said about the fuel mileage and the brakes (replaced at 25,000mi under warranty). I've read that drilled and slotted rotors take care of the issue and this will be the direction I head.

I have not pulled anything insanely heavy, but it does a great job up to the 11,000# I've thrown behind it. This spring it is getting a leveling kit and some new shoes...

mah2496
12-17-2012, 07:56 PM
New rams are nice as heck. However, Ive always tried to stay away from dodges seeing their interiors fall apart on previous generations. I will test the f150 with 5.0 but the tundra 5.7 seems to be a proven powerplant. With the amount of miles I rack up each year (120k in last 3 yrs) I want my next truck to go 200k and still run similar to the day I got it.

Sullivan
12-17-2012, 08:29 PM
New rams are nice as heck. However, Ive always tried to stay away from dodges seeing their interiors fall apart on previous generations. I will test the f150 with 5.0 but the tundra 5.7 seems to be a proven powerplant. With the amount of miles I rack up each year (120k in last 3 yrs) I want my next truck to go 200k and still run similar to the day I got it.

The last two Dodges I have had have been rock solid. The 2011 Ford SD I had was not.

Look close, like at the door seals, the dodge has double rubber door seals not an outer plastic seal, the frame is boxed, the inner fenders come with inner fender linners standard, the cab is made of soft materials not hard plastic. The Ram is the best built truck on the market, your doing yourself a disservice by not looking.

Aric'sX15
12-17-2012, 08:39 PM
The last two Dodges I have had have been rock solid. The 2011 Ford SD I had was not.

Look close, like at the door seals, the dodge has double rubber door seals not an outer plastic seal, the frame is boxed, the inner fenders come with inner fender linners standard, the cab is made of soft materials not hard plastic. The Ram is the best built truck on the market, your doing yourself a disservice by not looking.

i have to disagree. the ram i had had to be the worst truck I've ever owned. i could touch the truck and it would dent. rough idle, you could set a dime on the dash and it would crack and fall through. not due to owner negligence, i am very meticulous.

Ford sold around a half a million trucks this year, while dodge has sold less than 150k. that says something for sure.

Sullivan
12-17-2012, 08:57 PM
The 2013 truck is getting rave reviews for everything but specifically for the quality fit and finish, its also the quietes cabin on the market.

mah2496
12-17-2012, 10:14 PM
My bro inlaw has a previous generation dodge ram 1500. Half of his dash is gone; looks like foam board broken in half. I remember his driver side visor would not remain in up position, his coin (ash) try wouldnt stay closed, and his window switches came unsecured from door after 2 or 3 years of ownership. One of my employees has a cummins, and it leaks inside from the grab handle on the driver side pillar.

My neighbor has a 2012 laramie with hemi. Love that interior almost as much as new F150s. I would need to see a few current gen rams with more than 100k miles before I considered buying.

Aric'sX15
12-18-2012, 12:37 AM
If you want a quality long lasting truck, DON'T buy a dodge. At this point I don't think you could pay me to drive one.

Panda Cub
12-18-2012, 05:32 PM
I pull my PS205 with a Tacoma and it has 190,000 miles - no engine or transmission issues

As do I (170k)! Preventative maintenance goes a long way!

Panda Cub
12-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Can anyone comment on the quality of electronics? My tundra was very basic, and all electronics worked great; but my tacoma has nothing electronic, as in I have crank windows, no auto locks, and the only option was the 2.7l and the locking differential. I plan on purchasing a new truck in the near future, and I'm curious as to the longevity of the electronics equipment.

TxsRiverRat
12-18-2012, 05:45 PM
On my Taco, the dash lights went out at about 120-130k (same as my 161k 4runner did), the light behind the AC mode switch also.

Everything else has been top notch

Can anyone comment on the quality of electronics? My tundra was very basic, and all electronics worked great; but my tacoma has nothing electronic, as in I have crank windows, no auto locks, and the only option was the 2.7l and the locking differential. I plan on purchasing a new truck in the near future, and I'm curious as to the longevity of the electronics equipment.

Sullivan
12-18-2012, 08:23 PM
My wife has a 2011 4Runner Limited with 60K and no issues with the electronics other than.....the hands free cell kit sucks. Too much back ground noise.

Big tic
12-18-2012, 09:32 PM
I had a 2010 Silverado 6.2L. It was a beast of a truck but ran into reliability issues. I looked at many different trucks but decided on the odd ball Nissan Titan crew cab. I liked the basic no frills nothing to go wrong interior and proven Nissan engine. Yes the titan has gone almost 10 years with out a redesign but for me that was fine. After all it is a work truck that gets driven hard and traded every 2 years. I do nothing in terms of maintenance. We change the oil every 7500 km, and maybe the air filter once a year. I drive around 60,000km per year. So far haven't had an issue. A customer of mine has a 2005 Titan with 360,000km and has literally never had a problem. He said he is going to get a new Titan instead of anything else because all the other trucks are too complicated to run.

The interior is massive, the seats have a proper arm rest and it has a very solid ride. Nissan had some very good deals going when I bought. Might be worth a look. It surprised me.

mwg
12-18-2012, 09:36 PM

Before I had my Tundra I had an ' 01 Tacoma with power windows & locks, 140k miles with new issues. When I bought my tundra (used) I had an issue with the power locks On 2 of the 4 doors.. It was repaired under the certified warranty but the solenoids were about $200 each.

mah2496
12-23-2012, 01:19 AM
A couple more questions:

1. Can anyone comment on the Auto LSD on 2wd tundra model and it's capabilities to pull boats up wet ramps? My 2wd Z71 has a locking differential and handles wet ramps well. My previous chevy had no locking diff, but would get it done despite spinning one tire.

2. Anyone have issues with VSC features cutting power on tundra after leveling kit was installed?

ncsone
12-23-2012, 10:30 AM
A couple more questions:

1. Can anyone comment on the Auto LSD on 2wd tundra model and it's capabilities to pull boats up wet ramps? My 2wd Z71 has a locking differential and handles wet ramps well. My previous chevy had no locking diff, but would get it done despite spinning one tire.

2. Anyone have issues with VSC features cutting power on tundra after leveling kit was installed?

My Tundra has the Auto LSD, but I have not used it due to mine being 4WD. In theory, it makes sense, but I don't think it will be as good as a real locker. It works by applying the brakes to the spinning wheel, which then sends torque over to the other side.

Not sure about your ramp, but mine is about normal and gets moss growing on it in the warmer months. The truck may slip a little going up the ramp in 2WD, but it is no where near not being able to pull my boat out of the water. I little more weight in the bed or on the tongue would be ideal.

To be honest, a 'true' rear locker is about the only thing this truck is missing in my opinion. If you are willing to spend the $, I think there is one or two rear locker conversion kits on the market.

Sorry, I don't know anything about your second question.

mah2496
12-23-2012, 02:02 PM
My Tundra has the Auto LSD, but I have not used it due to mine being 4WD. In theory, it makes sense, but I don't think it will be as good as a real locker. It works by applying the brakes to the spinning wheel, which then sends torque over to the other side.

Not sure about your ramp, but mine is about normal and gets moss growing on it in the warmer months. The truck may slip a little going up the ramp in 2WD, but it is no where near not being able to pull my boat out of the water. I little more weight in the bed or on the tongue would be ideal.

To be honest, a 'true' rear locker is about the only thing this truck is missing in my opinion. If you are willing to spend the $, I think there is one or two rear locker conversion kits on the market.

Sorry, I don't know anything about your second question.

Ramps on my lake are good. I figure the ALSD has got to be better than my previous chevy with no LSD.

ncsone
12-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Ramps on my lake are good. I figure the ALSD has got to be better than my previous chevy with no LSD.

Yeah, it can't hurt, right? Just keep in mind that it is not always active. You turn on the ALSD with a button below the instrument cluster.

Feel free to PM me any questions you might have if you like.

-NCS

-V-
12-25-2012, 03:00 PM
wait, i thought it was always on. I thought when you hit the button the light in the dash turns red and it is off then.

cf_koch
12-27-2012, 04:36 PM
The ALSD button on the dash of a Toyota Tundra deactivates the traction control.