PDA

View Full Version : 27 dead, shooting in CT

Jerseydave
12-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Among the dead are 18 elementary children. Makes me sick to my stomach.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20121214/US.Connecticut.School.Shooting/?cid=hero_media

Jerseydave
12-14-2012, 02:38 PM
God help us.

CantRepeat
12-14-2012, 02:41 PM
http://news.msn.com/us/at-least-27-dead-in-shooting-at-conn-elementary-school

It's tragic. They're supposed to be safe at school. Is there anywhere left in this world where our kids can be safe?

Rockman
12-14-2012, 02:44 PM
This is aweful!

As a parent of 2 toddlers, my hearts go out to the children and the families...

What the F is wrong with people!? :confused::confused::confused:

mikeg205
12-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Coward ... so sad... :( why kids... 2 shootings this week... shooter dead..

Kyle's_prostar205
12-14-2012, 02:49 PM
My heart goes out to the families who are effected by this tragedy. This is not what is supposed to happen in life and especially this time of year. Truly tragic.

ttu
12-14-2012, 02:51 PM
makes me sick to even think of it. prayers for all the families involved.

XtwentyNot
12-14-2012, 03:17 PM
And 22 kids stabbed in China at an elementary school today! SMH and ***!!

BrooksfamX2
12-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Muther F....r, what the hell is going on?? :(

east tx skier
12-14-2012, 03:24 PM
How terrible. I cannot imagine how awful people can be sometimes. Those with kids, hug them tight.

Double D
12-14-2012, 04:11 PM
I am utterly speechless and cant believe the sicko's in this world. My heart and my prayers are with everyone involved, except the @$$hole sicko!! Enjoy Hell!!

GoneBoatN
12-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Very tragic. I cannot imagine being a parent who has lost a child, let alone under these kinds of circumstances; it would ripe me apart. My heart goes out for those families and children.

Personally I view schools as a very potentially dangerous situation. Many of these kids are under very high levels of stress from many different directions (peers, teachers, parents, etc.) academic wise and social wise. It also transcends social economic boundaries - it can happen is the best of schools and neighborhoods and past events just go to show this. Unfortunately you cannot just shelter (isolate) your kids as that also has negative impacts. You have to do your best, teach your kids right from wrong and hope that you don't end up being one of the unlucky ones.

Phntmski
12-14-2012, 05:09 PM
He killed his mother while killing innocent children.

2RLAKE
12-14-2012, 06:30 PM
i am at loss for words .. God bless those kids ... and may He damn that jackarse for what he did ... i simply cannot believe it

milkmania
12-14-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm speechless, truly a sad day.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-14-2012, 07:43 PM
How do you deal with something that makes no sense. Terribly sad situation. My heart goes out to all the victims involved.

mikeg205
12-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Wife and I were just talkin' this whole community has just had the holidays ruined for life....where did this level of evil come from????? I am totally freaked out about what transpired in that classroom - those poor poor children...and their families...

thatsmrmastercraft
12-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Numbers revised to 20 children killed and 8 adults including the shooter and another adult at a separate location.

trickskier
12-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Absolutely horrible when kids aren't safe at school!!!

TOO-TALL
12-14-2012, 08:12 PM
This makes me sick!!!!! What the hell is wrong with people.

Covi
12-14-2012, 08:14 PM
unbelievable, so so sad. my wife is an elementary teacher. Why are these shooters also such cowards. Most of the times taking their own lives. Face the music man, you are now! Rot in hell scumbag!

Chief
12-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Truly shi%$ty world kids have to live in today.

onewheat
12-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Truly shi%$ty world kids have to live in today.

Unfortunately, we have to live in the same world. It is not the place it used to be and it is not getting any better. It is the moral decline of society - it is very sad to see this happening.

PT 1999 ProStar
12-14-2012, 10:41 PM
I live 40 mins from where this happened. You live in CT mostly because our towns are usually quiet pieceful New England towns never to think this type of horror would happen! I can tell you that I hugged my two kids extra tight tonight and didn't want to let go! It's scary to think this can happen so close. My wife is expecting and now I fear for him or her and what type of society he or she will grow up in!! So sad and so wrong! We as a country need a gut check as to what's happening around us. Love your kids and hold them tight tonight and always!!

tlukens
12-14-2012, 10:50 PM
If I sold all my guns and replaced them with waterskis.....?

thatsmrmastercraft
12-14-2012, 10:53 PM
It wouldn't help. The criminals of the world don't play by our rules. On the other hand, you could see how many people you can get up behind your boat.

tlukens
12-14-2012, 11:03 PM
That's kinda my goal. "see how many people I can get up behind my boat" (not at once) Every kid I can get to hold on to a rope and go for a ride is a kid who has something to look forward to.

mikeg205
12-14-2012, 11:03 PM
It wouldn't help. The criminals of the world don't play by our rules. On the other hand, you could see how many people you can get up behind your boat.

moron's will be morons...evil will be evil...thankfully this idiot did not drive a gasoline tanker truck into the building.

DemolitionMan
12-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Just Sad.

starman205
12-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Prayers going up for all the families this morning.

1redTA
12-15-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm very sad that this happened, I am also very afraid of the consequences of this shooting such as another Brady bill. any thoughts?

gid
12-17-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm very sad that this happened, I am also very afraid of the consequences of this shooting such as another Brady bill. any thoughts?

I suspect Obama will move to pass an assault rifle ban. He has to do something - too many bad shootings this year.

scott023
12-17-2012, 01:10 PM
My condolences to all that are affected by this insane tragedy. Like others have said, hard to believe these kind of things can happen to our children at all, let alone at school.

Have to point out the teacher who hid her classroom kids in closets. Gunman came into room, she told him that her kids were in the gym. He shot and killed her, but she saved the lives of all the kids in her class. A true hero IMO.

BrianT
12-17-2012, 01:11 PM
I suspect Obama will move to pass an assault rifle ban. He has to do something - too many bad shootings this year.

And so he should!

thatsmrmastercraft
12-17-2012, 01:14 PM
My condolences to all that are affected by this insane tragedy. Like others have said, hard to believe these kind of things can happen to our children at all, let alone at school.

Have to point out the teacher who hid her classroom kids in closets. Gunman came into room, she told him that her kids were in the gym. He shot and killed her, but she saved the lives of all the kids in her class. A true hero IMO.

I heard about that. A hero indeed.

aaron.
12-18-2012, 10:38 AM
And so he should!

false.

many many people own AR's, but only a few wackos turn them on civilians. It isn't the weapon, it's the mental illness. They will try to stop gun sales, and will cheer and slap each other's backs when they finally pass something. Woooohoooo! But the real problem still persists, un-attended. Young male mental illness. All of our focus goes towards girls and young women, eating disorders, depression, suicide, etc....but I never once heard a lecture or sat through forced counselling as a kid. Young men and boys alike are wholly ignored.

If they cut off sales entirely of AR's, I'll be quite dissapointed. Hopefully they just agree to a more intensive background check and possible psychological exams only.

This whole thing is sickening and heart wrenching. It's a shame. And now it will be politicized. My heart goes out to all those family's.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-18-2012, 11:25 AM
false.

many many people own AR's, but only a few wackos turn them on civilians. It isn't the weapon, it's the mental illness. They will try to stop gun sales, and will cheer and slap each other's backs when they finally pass something. Woooohoooo! But the real problem still persists, un-attended. Young male mental illness. All of our focus goes towards girls and young women, eating disorders, depression, suicide, etc....but I never once heard a lecture or sat through forced counselling as a kid. Young men and boys alike are wholly ignored.

If they cut off sales entirely of AR's, I'll be quite dissapointed. Hopefully they just agree to a more intensive background check and possible psychological exams only.

This whole thing is sickening and heart wrenching. It's a shame. And now it will be politicized. My heart goes out to all those family's.

Really good point on the mental health issues. It's strange that no one will talk about it.

I can understand the natural reaction is to ban guns more or completely, but that is just reactionary. For that to work, criminals would have to obey our laws. They don't. Period. That is why more gun laws won't stop this from happening again.

20 gun laws were broken in the Columbine shooting. More gun laws would not prevented this from happening. More gun laws wouldn't have prevented the Sandy Hook shooting from happening. It was a senseless tragedy, and my heart goes out to all involved in the tragic losses.

Clearly security levels need to be addressed in our schools, and just trying to improve response times is not the answer, as it's too late to prevent once it's started.

GoneBoatN
12-18-2012, 11:54 AM
So both sides of the gun issue will be all the buzz, politically and socially, for a relatively short period of time while absolutely nothing constructive will be done about security on our schools. How sad is this about our society.

One of our schools sent an email reminding us that the system for visitors is to stop by the office and sign in and then sign out. That is just so feeble.

Here's something to think about. Shopping malls have better security systems than our schools (at least in my case). Where are our priorities? Every time there are budget cuts, the first place our CA politicians look for cuts is our school systems and yet we re-elect the same do-nothings next election.

aquaman
12-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Both the shooter in Co. + in Ct. had been identified as teens with mental problems. The Colorado shooter actually was in treatment with a campus psychiatrist at the time of his crime.
The Ct. guy was placed on observation list as a freshmen in high school because of anti-social + mental deficiencies. His parents were aware of his mental condition.

The problem in these instances is not so much guns, but recognition and management of mental illness.
I suspect in both cases there was a large amount of Denial on the part of parents, educators, and these 2 guys were pushed through school and treated as though they were "normal" when clearly they both had diminished mental conditions. There is a reluctance today to identify and diagnose, and manage "mental deviancy" for fear of stigmatizing an individual.

But for the safety of all, educators and parents have a responsibilty to get help for those individuals that show signs of mental disturbance + imbalance because it can lead to agressive acts.

scott023
12-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Both the shooter in Co. + in Ct. had been identified as teens with mental problems. The Colorado shooter actually was in treatment with a campus psychiatrist at the time of his crime.
The Ct. guy was placed on observation list as a freshmen in high school because of anti-social + mental deficiencies. His parents were aware of his mental condition.

The problem in these instances is not so much guns, but recognition and management of mental illness.
I suspect in both cases there was a large amount of Denial on the part of parents, educators, and these 2 guys were pushed through school and treated as though they were "normal" when clearly they both had diminished mental conditions. There is a reluctance today to identify and diagnose, and manage "mental deviancy" for fear of stigmatizing an individual.

But for the safety of all, educators and parents have a responsibilty to get help for those individuals that show signs of mental disturbance + imbalance because it can lead to agressive acts.

You've hit the nail on the head with this post.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-18-2012, 01:34 PM
You've hit the nail on the head with this post.

I agree completely.

Thrall
12-18-2012, 08:09 PM
And so he should!

Yeah totally false. How is banning sales of certain guns going to have ANY affect on these senseless acts? First, there are already 100bazillion guns in circulation and they're not like fruit. They're not going to spoil and rot away to nothing in a few weeks, months or even years. With the bad economy, how many people that are struggling financially that own guns would sell them if the market became much more desirable? ALOT.

Talking with a co-worker who escaped from Bosnia about 20 years ago made the most sense and it goes along with what aquaman and aaron said. In Bosnia, people who are mentally ill are ina mental institution.
We don't forcibly treat mental illness here. Mentally ill people are left to decide whether or not to take their meds and what their own best course of action is. HELLO! They're mentally ill. They CAN'T decide the best course of action on their own. We've become so PC here that we've outlawed mental hospitals for the most part. Now there's no looney bins to keep the loons safe from themselves and others safe from them.
Yes it sucks to think that we are "punishing" some of our own people by locking them up for nothing more than a mental illness even if they haven't committed a serious crime, but the other alternative is what we are currently experiencing.

onewheat
12-19-2012, 01:37 AM

You wouldn't want to be the one to possibly "offend" a parent or child. It is part of the overt political-correctness we have going on in this country. Kids can't fail grades or classes, can't lose sports games, we've done away with D's in school, everyone gets a trophy, etc. How could you possibly tell someone that their kid has a mental problem and needs help?

mikeg205
12-19-2012, 08:59 AM
This morning read in USA today that Lanza's mom was working to commit him...and that may have spurred the shooting. See how this part of this story develops.

gid
12-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Pres Reagan, in a cost cutting act, stopped the funding to Govt run / sponsored Mental health hospitals - most went to jail after committing crimes. So, do we want to bring back mental hospitals, if so, that is a much bigger Govt (billions I would say)?
or do we let the families try to handle the mental ill?

Cant have mentally ill folks w. access to guns = not a good outcome. So how do you seperate the two?

Thrall
12-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Pres Reagan, in a cost cutting act, stopped the funding to Govt run / sponsored Mental health hospitals - most went to jail after committing crimes. So, do we want to bring back mental hospitals, if so, that is a much bigger Govt (billions I would say)?
or do we let the families try to handle the mental ill?

Cant have mentally ill folks w. access to guns = not a good outcome. So how do you seperate the two?

That is the $64000 question or maybe $64billion question.

Thrall
12-19-2012, 11:58 AM
This morning read in USA today that Lanza's mom was working to commit him...and that may have spurred the shooting. See how this part of this story develops.

Interesting. Lends motive to shooting her first, not that is any less terrible than the rest of the outcome. Still something doesn't stack up though. Why does a divorced single mom who knows she has a nut case for a son purchase at least 4 semi-auto guns? AND take her kid shooting?
If she needed home/personal protection a pistol or simple shotgun would do the trick. If she was a gun fanatic (nothing wrong with that in and of itself) why were all of the guns purchased in the last 2 years?

jdl xstar
12-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Disclaimer: I don't own a gun but have considered it for home invasion protection.

How about this.. parents, if you have a child in your house who has a mental disorder, don't own a gun. I am in the camp of those that believe that this burning-in-hell ct guy could not have done what he did if he didn't have guns readily available in his home. Before you start yelling that he could have just bought one 'off the street', I would argue that at least it would have been a more difficult route for him to shop around since it would give the chance for someone to notice what he was up to and perhaps alert authorities. Having a gun laying around a house simply makes it too easy for someone to snap and pull a trigger.

To the hardcore gun lovers, you will always be able to own and use a gun, so please don't start screaming about your constitutional rights being taken away- they are not. Lets just consider limiting the high capacity clips and other guns that make killing easier.

aquaman
12-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Disclaimer: I don't own a gun but have considered it for home invasion protection.

How about this.. parents, if you have a child in your house who has a mental disorder, don't own a gun. I am in the camp of those that believe that this burning-in-hell ct guy could not have done what he did if he didn't have guns readily available in his home. Before you start yelling that he could have just bought one 'off the street', I would argue that at least it would have been a more difficult route for him to shop around since it would give the chance for someone to notice what he was up to and perhaps alert authorities. Having a gun laying around a house simply makes it too easy for someone to snap and pull a trigger.

To the hardcore gun lovers, you will always be able to own and use a gun, so please don't start screaming about your constitutional rights being taken away- they are not. Lets just consider limiting the high capacity clips and other guns that make killing easier.

a guy in china stabbed 25 kids......how easy is it to get a knife ? Ban knives ?

really ?

guns are not the problem.

btw....most gun owners do not have them "lying" around the house.

jdl xstar
12-19-2012, 12:48 PM
a guy in china stabbed 25 kids......how easy is it to get a knife ? Ban knives ?

really ?

guns are not the problem.

btw....most gun owners do not have them "lying" around the house.

I would argue that it is indeed harder to kill someone with a knife compared to a gun. Knife: struggle, resistance, others running while stabing.... Gun: point, shoot away....

Correct that knife blades are sharp and can/do kill people but to me, it is simple logic that a gun is FAR more lethal which is why we train police and military to use them, not knives.

If the Chinese guy killed 25 with a knife, try to imagine how many he could have killed with some guns.

gid
12-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Interesting. Lends motive to shooting her first, not that is any less terrible than the rest of the outcome. Still something doesn't stack up though. Why does a divorced single mom who knows she has a nut case for a son purchase at least 4 semi-auto guns? AND take her kid shooting?
If she needed home/personal protection a pistol or simple shotgun would do the trick. If she was a gun fanatic (nothing wrong with that in and of itself) why were all of the guns purchased in the last 2 years?

From what I have read - she took him shooting so he would respect guns and be responsible. He holed up in his basement with the room full of gun posters and playing first person shooting video games. She was in the process of having him committed to a mental hospital and she was a volunteer at the school.
She, the mom, liked guns and that was her hobby. Too bad she didnt take up gardening or bird watching.

milkmania
12-19-2012, 01:18 PM
I'll apologize in advance, but I've got to vent:mad:

I live across from our local DHS (Department of Human Services) and they have not lowered their flag for an instant, while McDonald's and KFC have done it on their own, along with all the banks and other government offices.

Last night, I was so tempted to go over there and lower it:(

I put mine out Friday at the house, and put a light on it so I can display it 24/7.... I'll take it down on January 8th. after 26 days.

JohnnyB
12-19-2012, 02:04 PM
I'll apologize in advance, but I've got to vent:mad:

I live across from our local DHS (Department of Human Services) and they have not lowered their flag for an instant, while McDonald's and KFC have done it on their own, along with all the banks and other government offices.

Last night, I was so tempted to go over there and lower it:(

I put mine out Friday at the house, and put a light on it so I can display it 24/7.... I'll take it down on January 8th. after 26 days.

The pres proclamation instructed 1/2 staff 'til sunset on Dec 18th?

Did i miss an update?

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

milkmania
12-19-2012, 02:22 PM
The pres proclamation instructed 1/2 staff 'til sunset on Dec 18th?

Did i miss an update?

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

you are correct
26 days for 26 victims...... my preference

- Charlotte Bacon, 2/22/06, female
- Daniel Barden, 9/25/05, male
- Rachel Davino, 7/17/83, female.
- Olivia Engel, 7/18/06, female
- Josephine Gay, 12/11/05, female
- Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 04/04/06, female
- Dylan Hockley, 3/8/06, male
- Dawn Hochsprung, 06/28/65, female
- Madeleine F. Hsu, 7/10/06, female
- Catherine V. Hubbard, 6/08/06, female
- Chase Kowalski, 10/31/05, male
- Jesse Lewis, 6/30/06, male
- James Mattioli , 3/22/06, male
- Grace McDonnell, 12/04/05, female
- Anne Marie Murphy, 07/25/60, female
- Emilie Parker, 5/12/06, female
- Jack Pinto, 5/06/06, male
- Noah Pozner, 11/20/06, male
- Caroline Previdi, 9/07/06, female
- Jessica Rekos, 5/10/06, female
- Avielle Richman, 10/17/06, female
- Lauren Rousseau, 6/1982, female
- Mary Sherlach, 2/11/56, female
- Victoria Soto, 11/04/85, female
- Benjamin Wheeler, 9/12/06, male
- Allison N. Wyatt, 7/03/06, female

Double
12-19-2012, 02:40 PM
keep them all in your thoughts and prayers. The time for debate will be upon us soon enough, but people have to think a little out of their comfort zone and forget their hard line positions. I feel the solution is a combination of a lot of things and not everyone will like everything. I'm sure it will cost time and resources, but we all have a common goal of protection of those that can't and shouldn't have to protect themselves. Be open to new ideas, what we are doing is obviously not working!

Skipper
12-19-2012, 04:55 PM
And so he should!

Yeah, good plan. Make owning guns against the law. That will protect the people. In fact, maybe they could make a law against heroin, crack, and other drugs. That will stop people from using drugs.

Break...
The only way to protect our schools is with armed guards. Why is it acceptable to guard a bank, a politician, or even a neighborhood with armed guards but not schools? Oh yeah, we just need laws that ban guns that will fix the problem.

ttu
12-20-2012, 10:29 AM
a very good emotional speech i heard this morning on the local sports radio show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfO2I7k9xtA