PDA

View Full Version : Three Lakes, Wisconsin

Snipe
12-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Anyone do their boating in Three Lakes,Wisconsin??:toast::toast:

thatsmrmastercraft
12-12-2012, 05:33 PM
I get to my brother's place on Manson Lake (on Hwy 8) about 30 miles S.W. of your location. I first learned to ski when I was 8 years old on the Three Lakes Chain. Beautiful area.

Snipe
12-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Hi,
Great to get a reply form up there. We live in Menomonee Falls from end of Oct. to beginning of May. The rest of the year it's in Three Lakes. I have (and hopefully not much longer, it's for sale now) been running a Ski Nautique on "The Chain". This is my first Mastercraft so I'm really getting a little edgy to get the thing wet; and the lakes aren't hardly frozen yet. We are on Laurel Lake right on HYW 32 just east of town.
Have a great day.:wavey::wavey::wavey:

wheelerlake
12-12-2012, 09:30 PM
If you hang a right on Hwy F in Lakewood, go about 3-4 miles on F we're on Wheeler Lake. We've been close to 3 Lakes snowmobiling a couple of times, beautiful! You should take advantage of the area from Oct through May, also:)

JohnnyB
12-13-2012, 07:06 AM
Hi,
Great to get a reply form up there. We live in Menomonee Falls from end of Oct. to beginning of May. The rest of the year it's in Three Lakes. I have (and hopefully not much longer, it's for sale now) been running a Ski Nautique on "The Chain". This is my first Mastercraft so I'm really getting a little edgy to get the thing wet; and the lakes aren't hardly frozen yet. We are on Laurel Lake right on HYW 32 just east of town.
Have a great day.:wavey::wavey::wavey:

There is another Laurel Laker on this site....not sure if there is more than one in WI. Likely there is!

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Snipe
12-13-2012, 07:48 AM
"wheelerlake.......We do get up for a couple of day trips during the winter. Don't snowmobile any more; gave it up years ago. It is beautiful up there though. We have vacationed in Lakewood for several years on Maiden Lake (now the supper club). Loved it there too.
JohnnyB......Would that be the Laurel Lake Skier? He has a red (I believe a '91 Mastercraft). If it is, I know him very well. Let me know. :toast::toast:

daverbeck
12-14-2012, 12:24 AM
We have a place on Horsehead Lake in Lake Tomahawk a few miles west of you. Keep the Mastercraft in SE Wisc and have a fish and ski boat up at the cottage. Usually go up there every other weekend in the summer.

Maybe we can get together for a run next summer.

Snipe
12-14-2012, 07:53 AM
I'm very familiar where Horsehead Lake is off Hy47 and D. My brother-in-law has a place in Hazelhurst and we drive by there often. We are on the Three Lakes Chain on Laurel lake. Where in SE Wisconsin do you keep your boat? Is that where you live?

daverbeck
12-26-2012, 08:32 PM
We live just south of Wales WI.

I keep the MC on a lift at my friends house on Lac LaBelle in Oconomowoc.

EricB
12-27-2012, 12:06 AM
I spent my summers ( mid 60's to 80's) on Catfish Lake in E.R. I used to be a Chain Skimmer (back when we really were on the chain). My Grandparents house (and cabin) was 3 doors down from Braywood. I still can see the whole chain in my mind as it was yesterday. We used to go to Three Lakes all the time for restaurants.

Snipe
12-27-2012, 07:45 AM
daverbeck......
I don't get to Lac Labelle much, but am very familiar as to its where abouts.:) :toast:
Eric......
Oh yeah; the Chain Skimmers. I knew them well when they were still on the chain. I probably saw you if you were one of them. We vacationed on Yellow Birch right down from the "T Docks" for 14 years until 1988 when we bought our place on Laurel Lake in Three Lakes. In fact the Skimmers used our (the place we stayed) shore often to start their Kite Act. those were the good old days. I don't ski any longer, but I have a great time pulling our kids and grand-kids. Never thought i would get a Mastercraft at this stage in life, but I'm just ecstatic that I was able to. Still have the Ski Nautique, but I think that's just temporary. Maybe someday our paths will cross.
Best wishes,
Snipe (Egon)
Drop a line: easchmandt@wi.rr.com :toast: :toast:

EricB
12-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Snipe;
Very cool. Another old schooler.

Yea, you would think that a person who grew up behind SN's would eventually buy one. But not me, I'm on my 3rd MC. I still slalom alot and my goal is to do alot more footin this year.

Happy New Year!

EricB

Snipe
12-27-2012, 04:52 PM
This is my first MC a 1998 Prostar190. Most of my friends have MCs up there. I just hope this one sounds as good as the SN. I may have to pull the mufflers. Since I was a kid, I always had to have pipes. There is a guy on our lake that only does barefooting. He's got a I think '91 with a 351 PCM

EricB
12-27-2012, 05:50 PM
My latest MC is a 1998 Anniversary w/LT1 and Powerslot. I don't know what vintage your SN is but the wake on your MC is really sweet for slalom, but trick wake is good too.

Snipe
12-27-2012, 06:10 PM
This is kind of a dumb question...:uglyhamme but as long as we are on the subject of a '98 MC,
It seems to me that the fuel filler is in kind of an awkward spot right on the corner of the transom. Other than pulling the boat up to a gas pump, do you use some kind of a flexible funnel to get gas in there? It would in my opinion work easier if the filler was more on top, but we have the sun deck there.

EricB
12-27-2012, 08:41 PM
I agree. Not a dumb question but a dumb placement. Bad angle and too small. I fill w/5 gal. cans and they have flexible spouts.
Waterski Mag did an article on making a gas funnel that attached to your dock or boatlift. It would work well but my boat and lift sit on the opposite side of the dock where it would be useful. So I have limped along with cans and slow-pouring spouts.

Snipe
12-28-2012, 07:47 AM
My boat is on the correct side, I'll have to try to find that article. A funnel would be nice, I have seen some kind of pumper, but then you need to transfer gas from one container to the pumper. Not my idea of adding to the "good times".

JohnnyB
12-28-2012, 08:02 AM
Either fill from inside the boat or on the platform. Bought VP Racing fuel dump jugs and don't spill a drop/fill very quickly. They have hose attachments that help reach the filler too.
Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Snipe
12-28-2012, 08:22 AM
I looked the dump jugs up. Interesting. Those hose attachments; do you know if they will fit on a regular plastic gas container? Other than on line, where can I look at them to see if they might fit. Those dump jugs; how big are they, they look small on line.

daverbeck
12-28-2012, 11:02 AM
We fill my MC from 5 gallon cans too an it made a huge mess plus scratched up the deck next to the filler.

Solution - they make a syphon device that has flex tubing with a little check valve on one end. Drop the check valve in the gas can jerk it up and down to fill the tubing with gas an then the whole can syphons out. Really slick and no mess.

I learned how to ski in the late 50's or early 60's on High Falls flow age near Crivitz. I don't know exactly when. I just remember that I had to wear tennis shoes because the skis were too big and fell off my feet - no kids skis back then.

Then quit skiing for a number of years and got back into it after we got a cottage in the early 90's. Now there is a group of us called The Gezzer Gang that ski every Sunday AM. I'm the youngest at 58. The oldest is mid 60's. Strictly open water slalom though I have run the course a few times winter skiing in Florida.

Let me know if you are up for a run sometime.

Snipe
12-28-2012, 11:27 AM
daverbeck, good to hear from you. So may folks on this site willing to help.:worthy:
That siphon sounds good too. I get really anal about scratches etc. Been told to ease up. But hey, it's my boat.
I would fit right into your "Geezer" club. I'm 72 feeling good, but having trouble with my fore-arms. So I hung my skies up. I really enjoy taking my kids and even more seeing our grand kids taking to the water. What fun they are having and that's all I need as long as I can still drive the boat and tip a cold one.....or two....or...:toast::toast:

epnault
12-28-2012, 11:45 AM
It is called the Shaker Siphon. It will be the best $10, or if you buy one in Northern WI it might be $14, you can spend. You can find them at auto parts stores and hardware stores too.

What I do is take my bench seat and flip it, vinyl side down, on top of the sun deck pad vinyl and use the "ugly side" of the bench seat as my shelf for the gas cans as I siphon the fuel out.

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-FloTool-10801-Shaker-Anti-Static/dp/B000EH0ORI

EricB
12-28-2012, 12:22 PM
I'll have to investigate the shaker Siphon. It looks like it would also work for the kids so they can fill the jet ski too.

epnault; what lake are you on in Wi? I'm on Balsam Lake just east of St. Crox Falls.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Those siphons work very well. I have had one since 1992.

Snipe
12-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Way to go. I'm getting one. Thanks again; it's just really neat to get help like this.

Rockman
12-28-2012, 02:37 PM
We are up in the summer in Wautoma and foot on Little Hills and Big Silver.

Super Siphon can be picked up at any truck stop for about $12. That's what we use to fill our BF200 (40 gallons) from the 5 gallon cans.

I made one of the pvc gas fillers as mentioned earlier...was cool looking but holding a 5 gallon jug for more than a few minutes was not fun...super siphon is the way to go.

RM

epnault
12-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Small world EricB. My wife and I bought our first place last winter on Loveless, just down the road from Balsam. Smaller lake but we got really good deal on a 4 season home with a garage. It was also a great way for us to see if we liked having 2 places without breaking the bank.

We love Balsam the most of any of the lakes in our area but we just couldn't find the right place over there. We boated up there a lot in the first couple years we owned our MC. You are a lucky man. We will likely try to sell our place in 3 years and start shopping over there again.

When the water gets rough over at your place, give me a call. Our lake is a really good for watersports and particularily slalom skiing

EricB
12-28-2012, 06:46 PM
You're right....small world.
We'll have to ski once the water gets softer again in spring. Do you do any winter stuff up at the lake?

epnault
12-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Oh yeah just got done ice fishing and we snowmobile a lot too

daverbeck
12-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Actually up at the cottage right now. Going to pick up my first ever (used) snowmobile tomorrow.

Hopefully I won't hit a tree the first day!

epnault
12-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Cool. Snowmobiling is afflicting. Sorry for the thread jack guys.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
01-02-2013, 09:33 PM
There is another Laurel Laker on this site....not sure if there is more than one in WI. Likely there is!
I'm just a short distance by water or road from Snipe.....A bit late with the greeting but glad to see you here on Team Talk  Welcome Egon:banana:

thatsmrmastercraft
01-03-2013, 12:40 AM
Cool. Snowmobiling is afflicting. Sorry for the thread jack guys.

Just set up a ride for late February. We stay on the outskirts of Rhinelander but always make a Sunday morning run to Three Lakes. Really nice trails in the area.