PDA

View Full Version : Shower Idea

cpr05xtr
12-11-2012, 03:52 PM
MY shower pump went out has anyone tried to retrofit the water lines to make something like this work? Would save some money if it would work.http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-marine-utility-water-pump-94639.html

Ski-me
12-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Reading the reviews it looks like it's prone to failure pretty quickly and someone also said you need to prime it before use......(won't suck up).

Sodar
12-11-2012, 04:35 PM
I also do not believe it has a pressure switch. You get what you pay for and that looks like chinese crap.

TxsRiverRat
12-12-2012, 10:43 AM
So, wheres the best place to get a hot water shower? Links...?

cpr05xtr
12-12-2012, 11:33 AM
That was just an example of a cheaper pump dont really want to use the particular one and the pressure switch is not a huge deal if the pump is on im going to be using it. I was just wondering if anyone had a cheaper option to the expensive pumps.

mikeg205
12-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Was wondering if you tap off a hot water source and a have a valve how about a tsunami pump...not elegant but it could work no? 160 degree water...hmmm just a thought - could be a dumb one... attached garden spray on other end?

cpr05xtr
12-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Im thinking the water temp and the pressure of the cooling system would not work well with that pump.

Kevin 89MC
12-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Got mine for my home made shower a few years back at a local RV shop for less than $100 I think.

Kyle
12-12-2012, 04:53 PM
You really dont need a pump if you dont mind low pressure. If you put the boat in Neutral and bring up the rpm then you have ehough water to rinse off. If you want running water like a house then a pump is needed.

I have a fellow club member that is pumpless and it works fine.

I had a hot water shower on my boat when I bought it. I am too much of a ***** to ski in the cold. After the first year the pump quit working (pumping) and I rarely used the shower but water came out and it was enough to warm up some hands or fill up a wetsuit before entering. I removed the pump and installed under water lights and my Led lights in the cabin where the pump was installed in ACC2 and removed the Heater that was on ACC1 for my new upgrades. I figure the lights were more important than a warm shower and heater as I did not ski in the winter.

Kyle
12-12-2012, 04:58 PM
I have seen the pumpless system run this way.

After the raw pump cut the hose and install a T fitting that you attach a cold line. The impeller will work as a pump.

On the side of the Main Water Pump there is a plug. Unplug it and install a barbed fitting that will be used as your hot. It will have pressure as the main pump is pumping out of that barb.

Run your cold line and your hot line to a garden hose Y connecter. Use the shower line as the line out that you would attach to the house.

Twist the now cold and hot valves to desired temp and now you have running warm water. You may choose to put a garden hose sprayer of some kind on the end. This will allow you to have your water set at the temp desired and never touch it again.

mikeg205
12-12-2012, 05:01 PM
I was just thinkin' for hot water to pour in wetsuit...and to warm hands and feet - great idea...

FrankSchwab
12-12-2012, 05:05 PM
If you're a ****** like me, this might be your cup of tea:
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G18959

Bought one this summer to keep the slide wet on the houseboat for the kids (this pump and a 25' coiling hose with a sprayer on the end works great). It's not the highest quality, but it has a pressure switch, might be able to generate 25 psi on a good day, and costs $10.

/frank

Kyle
12-12-2012, 05:12 PM
If you're a ****** like me, this might be your cup of tea:

Bought one this summer to keep the slide wet on the houseboat for the kids (this pump and a 25' coiling hose with a sprayer on the end works great). It's not the highest quality, but it has a pressure switch, might be able to generate 25 psi on a good day, and costs $10.

/frank

That looks exactly like the pump I took off of my boat lol

Hey, It worked great the first year I had my boat but I just did not use it that much.

Anybody want to compare that pump to one from Harbor Freight just for grins?

cpr05xtr
01-04-2013, 05:55 PM
If you're a cheap **** like me, this might be your cup of tea:

/frank
that looks just like the factory pump that is $200. Might just give this a try as i am a cheap sob.

BrianM
01-05-2013, 09:37 AM
If you're a cheap **** like me, this might be your cup of tea:

/frank

Great find. I'd be willing to bet that is the exact pump speced by Hatercraft that comes in the kit. Can't beat the replacement price.

cpr05xtr
03-02-2013, 03:09 PM
did anyone ever buy one of these from this company are they even a reputable place to be giving my credit card info?

Rockman
03-02-2013, 05:18 PM
did anyone ever buy one of these from this company are they even a reputable place to be giving my credit card info?

Go to Walgreens or CVS and get a prepaid CC card...only put the $ on it you need for the order and limit your exposure that way.

I know a friend who only pays cash...cash, no debit or credit cards...but he uses a prepaid card when needed and just puts the $ on it that he needs when he orders anything.

Theclarks1111
03-02-2013, 09:14 PM
I would think that pump would be really loud though...

TN Barefooter
03-03-2013, 07:49 AM
That pump is almost identical to the ones used on field sprayers. Tractor supply probably has the same pump, but I'm sure it will be more expensive at TSC than off the Internet. The ones on sprayers are very loud.

mikeg205
03-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Go to Walgreens or CVS and get a prepaid CC card...only put the $ on it you need for the order and limit your exposure that way.

I know a friend who only pays cash...cash, no debit or credit cards...but he uses a prepaid card when needed and just puts the $ on it that he needs when he orders anything.

Citibank will let create a virtual credit card number that can only be used one time. I'm sure the big name will also allow thata... O like the prepaid card thing too.

FrankSchwab
03-03-2013, 10:28 AM

They're reputable - I've been buying stuff from them for years with my CC and never had an issue.

/frank

FrankSchwab
03-03-2013, 10:30 AM
That pump is almost identical to the ones used on field sprayers. Tractor supply probably has the same pump, but I'm sure it will be more expensive at TSC than off the Internet. The ones on sprayers are very loud.

It's identical with pumps used on RV's for pressurizing the internal water supply (sinks, shower, etc). In that sense, it's pretty quiet - you'll know it's running, but you'll certainly have no problems talking while it is.

Rockman
03-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Ok, Erk and I installed the full shower kit with the pump on his 96 190 with the 275hp...

So I want to do the install now on the 94 190 with the LT1...

I think I am going to do the install without the pump for now and possibly get the complete kit at a later date.

What parts do I need to do this and what hose(s) need(s) to be cut for the "Y"?

I am thinking all I need is:

1-T connector (size?) installed between the impellar and thermostat to draw the cold water
2-Fitting to draw the hot water from the block to a Y splitter for the hoses (this is the part I am not really sure about)
3-Hoses
4-Spicket for the end of the hose
5-Misc. hose clamps

Sorry, it has been a while since I did one of these last and most of the pics posted on here from previous installs have been deleted.

Can anyone who has done this on an LT1 post some pics?

Thanks!

RM

JohnnyB
03-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Search for a post and/or thread w/ shower and limit to my screen name. I list all the parts on a thread.

PITA to search on my phone or i would do it for you

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Rockman
03-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Search for a post and/or thread w/ shower and limit to my screen name. I list all the parts on a thread.

PITA to search on my phone or i would do it for you

Will do! I went to Menards today and think I have everything I need...I will compare to your build list.

JohnnyB
03-04-2013, 05:50 AM
Mine wasn't an LT1 but most parts were menards. Pump was ebay iirc.

Rockman
03-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Mine wasn't an LT1 but most parts were menards. Pump was ebay iirc.

I put all the parts together (dry fit) yesterday at the house here and the only part that I need to get which I did buy one fitting but it is not correct is the one that would screw into the block to get the hot water...the threads on the one I bought were too wide...

I am gonna hit Menards on the way home and see what they have. What kind of fitting did you use for the hot?

I found your parts list and printed it...will search Skidim today also...

TxsRiverRat
03-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Rockman - can you post the link :)

Rockman
03-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Rockman - can you post the link :)

This was more of the build list for the heater but listed some parts for the shower as well...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=22643&highlight=shower&page=2

Ski-me
03-04-2013, 12:45 PM
I put all the parts together (dry fit) yesterday at the house here and the only part that I need to get which I did buy one fitting but it is not correct is the one that would screw into the block to get the hot water...the threads on the one I bought were too wide...

I am gonna hit Menards on the way home and see what they have. What kind of fitting did you use for the hot?

I found your parts list and printed it...will search Skidim today also...

Post #74 shows the "tee" I have that goes to the heater and the shower. I don't know if this is the same method as a real shower (mine came to me jimmy rigged). I also don't have a pump and not much pressure. So if it works for you, I may go the route of that pump, I'm watching. :cool:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=51183&page=8

thatsmrmastercraft
03-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Post #74 shows the "tee" I have that goes to the heater and the shower. I don't know if this is the same method as a real shower (mine came to me jimmy rigged). I also don't have a pump and not much pressure. So if it works for you, I may go the route of that pump, I'm watching. :cool:

Are you referring to presidential engineering http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/dunno.gif

Rockman
03-04-2013, 01:04 PM

What size is the plug? Is it 1/2 inch? That's what I need or something of the like kind. ;)

Rockman
03-04-2013, 01:09 PM

I am not going the pump route...2 buddies of mine had showers on their boats. One had the fnacy expensive one and it was cool but for $350 less, my other buddy took the route I am taking and the shower worked fine.

If you have low pressure without the pump, you can have the driver put the boat in neutral, pull the pin out and get the rpms up a little and the water will flow nicely.

Damnit, another item I was not intending on doing until I was up at 6am on Sunday and hopped on the board to see what was going on...oh well...easy project. :D

Ski-me
03-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Mine just had some garden hose lines and a garden hose "y" as the blending valve. I didn't really get much pressure but in actuality, I never really did try it too much. Maybe this summer I'll give it another shot.

Boats in storage now so I don't know the tee fitting size.....sorry.

Rockman
03-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Mine just had some garden hose lines and a garden hose "y" as the blending valve. I didn't really get much pressure but in actuality, I never really did try it too much. Maybe this summer I'll give it another shot.

Boats in storage now so I don't know the tee fitting size.....sorry.

We used the shower mostly in the spring and winter months we ski'd. No problem on the fitting size...gonna pick up a 1/2 and 3/4 tonight...it's gotta be one of them! :D

pram
03-04-2013, 01:34 PM
5/8"?

Rockman
03-04-2013, 01:59 PM
5/8"?

That's what I originally thought but I could not remember. Thanks Paul;)

Rockman
03-05-2013, 05:02 PM
So I was thinking about this more and more Sunday am and with the wifey out of town this week, I got the urge to run out with the kids to Menards Sunday...So here is an easy way that doesn't hurt the pocket book as long as you do not want or need the pump...all items purchased at a local hardware store (Menards) for around $50 total.

Only piece that I need to get is a threaded reducer from 3/4 inch to fit the 1/2 inch shutoff for the cold.

I just couldn't see spending $350+ on the "real" kit with the pump...the spicket alone was like $29...:rolleyes:

Nordicron
03-05-2013, 08:27 PM
I'd be surprised to see this setup work without a pump. But if it does thats great otherwise it'll cost you another $60 or so to add.

Rockman
03-05-2013, 10:07 PM
I'd be surprised to see this setup work without a pump. But if it does thats great otherwise it'll cost you another $60 or so to add.

It does work without a pump...already had this done on a buddy's boat.

Put boat in neutral, pull out the little silver knob below the shifter to disengage the trans, increase the rpms a little bit and it works.

No pump for me.

Nordicron
03-06-2013, 01:44 PM
It does work without a pump...already had this done on a buddy's boat.

Put boat in neutral, pull out the little silver knob below the shifter to disengage the trans, increase the rpms a little bit and it works.

No pump for me.

That's cool. But for $60 you wouldn't need to pull out the little silver knob and you woild prob have better flow. That and wouldn't have to deal with twice the noise and CO2 being spit out the back while using your shower.

Rockman
03-06-2013, 06:17 PM
That's cool. But for $60 you wouldn't need to pull out the little silver knob and you woild prob have better flow. That and wouldn't have to deal with twice the noise and CO2 being spit out the back while using your shower.

Agree...$60 is not too bad overall but just one more thing to add to my to-do list that I do not want to-do! :D

The water flow actually from the home made version compared to the real kit was actually better...the pump can only go so fast and did not seem too forceful. I only have used 2 showers on MCs that had the pump and my first reaction was not all that high.

Nothing wrong with a little co2 in the am...;) not like the shower would actually used more than someone would be wakesurfing...

powell
04-09-2013, 01:46 AM
Is anyone concerned with the hot and cold systems being plumbed together without a check valve? When the shower is being used I don't see a problem, but when you close the shower valve then the hot and cold water are head to head and if the cold has more pressure it will run directly into the motor, bypassing the thermostat and keep the engine cold. Thoughts???

Nordicron
04-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Is anyone concerned with the hot and cold systems being plumbed together without a check valve? When the shower is being used I don't see a problem, but when you close the shower valve then the hot and cold water are head to head and if the cold has more pressure it will run directly into the motor, bypassing the thermostat and keep the engine cold. Thoughts???

I agree with you. Depending on your shower design and mixing valve used you could certainly have some goofy water flows. I'm positive my heater performance suffered when I put my improvised shower in, so that's the reason I installed my check valves. Heater works good again.

cpr05xtr
04-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Update on this. I tore apart the pump that stopped working and polished up all the electrical internals and put some powershot on it all and it is moving a TON of water again and has amazing pressure. This pump hasnt worked since the day i got the boat so im excited to see how it works when i get it on the boat. My hot water source is the right side drain for the block. Is that a good source for the hot water? It seems like it was a very low pressure place to be taking water from.