PDA

View Full Version : Best Navigation System, Nuvi, Tom Tom???

jeffbare
12-10-2012, 12:18 PM
I am looking for a navigation system to put in my truck, and wondered what eveyones opinion is of the different options out there.
Thanks,
Jeff

Ski-me
12-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Sorry, my Droid 3 phone.....

I have an older Garmin and it worked great, by far. But the problem comes to relevent/updated maps. When you buy one of these (at least a few years ago) it comes with one map. 1 year later, new roads appear but the Nav unit doesn't recognize it. You have to pay another fee to update the maps again.

With my phone, the map is updated constantly by Google so the new roads appear pretty quickly. I just found that it wasn't worth me to pay for a new map......

However, my 16 yr old has used the Garmin a few times and it's definitely saved her.

If I was going your route, I'd try and get an all in one radio head unit that has navigation in it already. Cleaner than a separate one stuck to the windshield......

east tx skier
12-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Sorry, my Droid 3 phone.....

I have an older Garmin and it worked great, by far. But the problem comes to relevent/updated maps. When you buy one of these (at least a few years ago) it comes with one map. 1 year later, new roads appear but the Nav unit doesn't recognize it. You have to pay another fee to update the maps again.

With my phone, the map is updated constantly by Google so the new roads appear pretty quickly. I just found that it wasn't worth me to pay for a new map......

However, my 16 yr old has used the Garmin a few times and it's definitely saved her.

If I was going your route, I'd try and get an all in one radio head unit that has navigation in it already. Cleaner than a separate one stuck to the windshield......

Some very good points here. Although, I think some of these units provide for free map updates for the life of the unit. I have had a Garmin, which was great. I have an OEM navigation system in my car now, which I love for not having stuck to the windshield. I can usually find map updates online for pretty cheap on my OEM unit. If you get one of the windshield mount types, look for something with lifetime updates.

jeffbare
12-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Good points to think about. I have a 2005 GMC P/U that has the issue with the speedometer not working all the time, and figured it would be cheaper to buy a GPS Nav unit that show speed. I have a marine Garmin GPS that is great, but a little big to keep in the truck all the time. I have a company Blackberry, so I don't really want to buy a 2nd phone and cell contract thjust for the nav features.

mikeg205
12-10-2012, 12:57 PM
I have a tom tom... $79 from Sam's - lifetime updates for whatever timeframe they claim product is viable. Been using my droid more not - I travel for work and send my hotel reservations to my google calendar... all I have to do is click the reservation and the click directions - with the tom tom had to key in. That being said..I believe the stand alone units provide the best direction options.
IMO

detonate69
12-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Garmin has the best maps and the mid level and top tier units come with lifetime map updates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Ski-me
12-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Good points to think about. I have a 2005 GMC P/U that has the issue with the speedometer not working all the time, and figured it would be cheaper to buy a GPS Nav unit that show speed. I have a marine Garmin GPS that is great, but a little big to keep in the truck all the time. I have a company Blackberry, so I don't really want to buy a 2nd phone and cell contract thjust for the nav features.

I know some of these GM trucks in this era have been known to have bad instrument clusters. My 2004 has not had any problems yet (knock on wood). But my friend's 2004 had his gauges jumping around quite a bit. I think the dealer gave him a $600 repair bill, but he found a source who would re-build his cluster completely and sent it back for $150 (shipping included). He is very happy with the fix and it's been a few month now since the work.

Just FYI....

milkmania
12-10-2012, 03:02 PM
I've used Nextar professionally (I love the user interface) for last 4 years.... Nextar went out of business in 2009-2010. so, no map updates :(

I've been through several of their units (battery issues) but, I'd rather buy new (NIB) Nextar units on ebay than use my Garmin 760, I bought on ebay recently (I hate the user interface:mad:)

Updated the latest maps for the Garmin, and I still don't like it.

When iOS6 Jailbreak comes out for iPhone 4s.... that will be my primary GPS

Hogwild
12-10-2012, 05:09 PM
I have a Garmin and usually only use it on long trips through unfamiliar towns because around town the thing can be an absolute nightmare. If I want to zoom in on a certain section of the map or scroll to see roads close-by it takes forever.

So I would second the GPS that comes with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3). Directions are never more than a voice command away and it's super easy to move around in the maps. Wouldn't go back to Garmin for anything.

JohnE
12-10-2012, 07:32 PM
I use the Tomtom iphone app. Cost $49 iirc. Don't love it but it works fine. If I needed it daily I'd probably have more of an educated opinion.

milkmania
12-10-2012, 07:59 PM
I actually have 2 gps units in the window, doing a comparison study....
Nextar X-3
Garmin Nuvi 760

I went to Oklahoma City last week.... I prefer the Nextar simply because it's screen shows how many miles left to travel, how long it will take to get there, TIME ETA, and speed.....
The Garmin 760 only shows speed and Time ETA. (unless you manipulate the screens) But, it has millions and millions of newer POI's than the Nextar.

I like the Nextar because it uses a stylus with greater sensitivity than the Garmin....
The Garmin has no stylus and you have to press the screen enough that it moves on the mount.

Nextar's software is much more friendly and faster for input.

But, they both get the job done:twocents:

Never used a Tom Tom

MattsCraft
12-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Gotta love Google - As I was told by a friend of a friend on cartography, basically, they all use 2 sources for their data. Everything and anything you would ever want to know on the subject...

http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/mapmakers.htm

I have used Garmin for travel for many years to many unknown cities including Tel Aviv, Israel, certainly not necessarily the best way to get there (nothing like local knowledge) but it always got me there. There traffic data however is worthless. The newer Garmin's do have the lane prediction screens which can be very helpful in unfamiliar locations.

With that, I can't say enough good things on the VW T-Reg unit, somewhat lacking on the POI's but the GUI is really great especially with the connection with XM traffic data, very accurate and up to date traffic conditions, gives you orange and red data lines on the maps indicating traffic back ups including accident and construction data. I use this every day to pick my route to and from work. It's touch screen is a bit slow, but the ability to change zooms with the turn knob and scroll is second to none! One other great thing about this system is it does not constantly give you the response "Re-Calculating" if you miss a turn, just does it and keeps quiet. Also, dims the music, gives the instructions, and turns the music back up... I know right, whats not to love...:rolleyes: This combined with the center dash (between the speedo and tach) has all the data, eta, miles, current road, POI's up coming at exit, next turn with count down screen and direction of turn combined with the voice commands, really you never need to look at the center console GPS screen except for outreaching traffic and general direction info. They really did there homework on this one.

georgea0731
12-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Got a refurbished one and sent it back, the replacement takes a while to get connected. Next we got a 2011 Xmas gift 50LM for father in law. His 2nd and with a bigger screen. He likes it and uses it a lot.
We then upgraded and got us the same. The 5 inch screen is a must. Depending on features you want will affect the price. The 50LM has lifetime maps that means 4 times a year. Each time, you have to save all your data; stored points, and reload them after the map updates. We use the Points of Interest a lot for shopping, fuel and food. I also use it as a phone directory for businesses when traveling to get phone numbers. This 50LM is about $119 at Walmart and found it cheaper on ebay at one time. Check their homepage out for features then shop around.
I wish I had gotten 2 and junked the older refurbished one. It's only 4.3 and isn't reliable, but have wife really never uses it. I called their Customer service and got a lot of good friendly help updating it when I first got it. I hope this helps a little.
I've never had any other brands so I can't compare. Good luck!

milkmania
12-10-2012, 11:14 PM
I use mine in a "pay per hour" situation..... I need to know how long it takes to get to locations.
And how early I need to leave in order to get to client 15 minutes before the scheduled time.
So, I use the time data as much or more than the actual turn by turn data. (most cases, I know EXACTLY where I'm going, but I still input the address)

I rely on it for "time management"
example:
If it takes me 50 minutes to get to client's location, to pick up at 6:00pm (real time 5:45pm) and I have 3 errands beforehand (fuel, ice, car wash), I need to leave my location by 3:45pm.... etc.

then on the back side of the trip, the client wants to know how long it takes to get back to their initial locations

KahunaCraft
12-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Bad Elf Pro with ipad2 or iPod using Bluetooth. With an appropriate app..

http://bad-elf.com/vehicle-navigation/

TayMC197
12-11-2012, 10:33 PM
All in one receiver with garmin maps. Look into kenwood. Garmin is the easiest to use with the easiest updates. I didn't like other brands where you have to purchase maps for the area of coverage you needed.

gotta_ski
12-12-2012, 07:14 PM
I have a Garmin that is 4 or 5 years old, works very well. My girlfriend has a Magellan that we both hate. It chooses strange routes and the screen shows you a block behind were you are actually at. I get so frustrated with the thing its all I can do not to throw it out the window at times.