PDA

View Full Version : Spray down the engine's metal surfaces with silicone lubricant?

GoneBoatN
12-08-2012, 09:26 PM
One of the steps for winterization is to use silicone lubricant to protect the metal surfaces.

Can anyone offer advice/instructions? Do you just spray everywhere or do you have to avoid getting it on wires, electronics and all the other stuff that the marine engine is basically wrapped in? Suggested brands? I would think you would not want to get any on the K&N air cleaner as it takes a particular oil.

Thanks in advance.

east tx skier
12-08-2012, 09:45 PM
I think mine is Prestone. Keep it away from the belts and try to avoid the wires. Just the metal surfaces.

JohnE
12-09-2012, 07:05 AM
I was told by Joe at the old MC of Charlotte to spray everything with WD40 including hoses and wires. That it would protect everything but basically evaporate by spring. (Maybe not exactly evaporate, but it disappears)

jgraham37128
12-09-2012, 08:31 AM
I actually use Top Kote finishing spray. I use it on everything from my car motors to door jambs and etc... It will make anything look brand new. All I do is spray it all over everything, motor,wires and etc...

I actually buy it by the case. A friend and I split it. Cost was around $6.00 a can.

GoneBoatN
12-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks all. I'm going to have to think about how to do this best for my engine/boat. Plus being a v-drive it is all so fun to get access to. A lot of the wires are inside plastic conduit so not to worry there I guess. But some trouble spots would be for example the fuel injectors and the short segments of exposed wiring running to them. Maybe wrap things I want to protect with some plastic wrap (aka saran wrap). I did spray a small piece of cloth and was applying by hand but this will not get to all the places I want to get to. I got three months to obsess over this during the "off season".

I have some silicone spray by PB Blaster but it is a pretty strong stream and if I were to use it I'm sure it would splash over everything. I have to see what is available at hardware, auto, etc stores. I seen some stuff by Permatex online; I should be able to find that local. I think I'll give that a shot next to see if it is a fine spray.

I guess I need to buy some of those long stick-ed cotton swabs as well to clean up any pooling in difficult to reach areas. And to think I use to make fun of my brother who cleans his motorcycle by dismantling it, cleaning each individual piece and re-assembling it.

JohnE
12-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Spray the hell out of it with wd40 and forget about it. You are over thinking this.

Jerseydave
12-09-2012, 09:53 PM
I was told by Joe at the old MC of Charlotte to spray everything with WD40 including hoses and wires. That it would protect everything but basically evaporate by spring. (Maybe not exactly evaporate, but it disappears)

^ What I do!

bturner2
12-10-2012, 08:12 AM
I hit the linkage and any moving parts with the fogging oil I'm using at the time. The rest of the engine and vDrive with WD40. In the spring I wipe everything down while checking all the hose clamps and connectors to ensure everything is ready for the summer and to make sure nothing got missed when storing it up. This process has worked for me on everything from outboards to inboards over the past 20 years. Time for more spraying and less thinking.

jgraham37128
12-10-2012, 08:43 AM
I've used WD-40 too and still do if I'm out of TOP Kote. Top Kote is just a lot lighter oil than wd-40.

Plus top-kote smells so good!!! You'll be hooked on it if you ever use it.

Thrall
12-10-2012, 10:23 AM
I'll have to look up top kote, sounds interesting.
Yeah, WD40 or even Armor All type dressings work well. Just dust everything with it and call it good. Same with underhood on the vehicles.
For exposed to the elements or corrosive areas, Fluid Film works great. It's lanolin based. I use it mainly on my sleds since they're basically stored in a tin can (trailer), lots of condensation/moisture. Keeps snow from sticking as much too.
I would use that stuff if the boat is stored outside. If stored inside, it's not necessary as it leaves a much heavier film on everything.

jakethebt
12-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Another vote for WD-40... remember it is called water displacement for a reason...

d2jp
12-10-2012, 05:37 PM
I've used both WD-40, Boeshield T-9 (http://boeshield.com/features-benefits/marine/), and Corrosion-X (http://www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx.html) depending upon how much residual film I felt was needed.

Ballistol is a product I've been reading about from a website that I purchase off-road gear from sometimes - read down to the steel wool-in-water test - it's pretty interesting stuff, but I've not ordered...yet.

Link:

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/ballistol/

I've also started using Motorex Joker440 in cases where I'd used WD-40, it's a synthetic based spray lube. This youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xDpSnaSF_8) isn't something I'd condone but is pretty convincing that it does not conduct electricity and is pretty waterproof:)

kjohnson
12-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Do you guys that are spraying WD40 etc store your boats inside? I keep mine in the garage and never spray the engine etc and do not have any rust or problems. Just Curious.

JohnE
12-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Do you guys that are spraying WD40 etc store your boats inside? I keep mine in the garage and never spray the engine etc and do not have any rust or problems. Just Curious.

Yes...

BrooksfamX2
12-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Do you guys that are spraying WD40 etc store your boats inside? I keep mine in the garage and never spray the engine etc and do not have any rust or problems. Just Cuious.

Never sprayed a boat engine down in 30 yrs, but boats are always in a heated garage. I do wipe the dust off from time to time though. Engine looks like new. I also wash my car engines a couple times a year....:rolleyes:

Barefooter92
12-11-2012, 12:34 PM
I have used SeaDoo Lube, Yamalube, and seafoam. All my motors are spotless and pushing 15 years old. Just dont do it before you work on them. Make it the last thing you do for the year. I try to avoid heavy coating on the wires and eletrical stuff, just in case.

WalloonPS190
12-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Any reason not to use StarBrite fogging oil, same stuff I sprayed into the cylinders for the winter? That's what I did this past Fall, mostly on some rusty areas on the bottom of the exhaust manifolds. But I'm new at this.

blackTT
12-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Any pictures for these clean engine bays? So I know what I'm aiming for when I clean mine on weekend

GoneBoatN
12-12-2012, 08:49 PM
This is a good one - http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=44554&highlight=clean+engine

lazyade
12-24-2012, 04:06 AM
I have used SeaDoo Lube, Yamalube, and seafoam. All my motors are spotless and pushing 15 years old. Just dont do it before you work on them. Make it the last thing you do for the year. I try to avoid heavy coating on the wires and eletrical stuff, just in case.

Agree, the Seadoo Lube is thicker than WD40 (which tends to evaporate over time).