PDA

View Full Version : Show us your utv

JohnnyB
12-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Considering purchase of a utv. I live on 7 acres and my home and boat/lift are on opposite ends of the property. Use my truck to get to/fr frontage but it is kind of big for the path and being in and out with swimsuits, towels and sunscreen is not good for the interior. Looked at golf carts but seems like utv has lots of other uses around my property with the winch, plow, dump box, etc.

Plow might be a little anemic for 700 ft of driveway but a good back up nonetheless.

Who owns utvs, what d'ya use me for, etc.

Currently considering a Polaris ranger 500 efi. Bench seat, dump box, windshield, winch, plow.

bobx1
12-08-2012, 10:36 AM
I had a Yamaha Rhino then went to the Polaris Ranger 800xp. Use it for duck hunting. From a popularity standpoint, the Ranger is probably number 1 followed by Kawasaki, Artic Cat, Honda, and Yamaha.

Double
12-08-2012, 10:48 AM
We have a john deer 550 xl gator. Mainly used to take elderly, gas, supplies and coolers to and from the dock. Very lite duty work, but it's more inexpensive than most and does well for our purposes. seats four or backseat can be used as a second bed. turning radius isn't ideal, it's long and takes a minute to navigate tight spots.

sethro
12-08-2012, 11:27 AM
I don't have one, just letting you know that the plow would be more than sufficient. I have a 46" plow on my garden tractor for about 400 ft of driveway and it does just fine...UTV would be even better with 4x4 and larger blade. I have a few friends that plow with UTV/ATV and are more than satisified.

dog paw
12-08-2012, 12:07 PM
My Polaris Ranger has been without a doubt one of the best "work toys" I have gathered. 300 trouble free hours on it so far. Flat out back saver :) Our dock is @ the other end of the subdivision so the in and outs can be time consuming. Get in and out soaking wet, not a problem.. IMO 4wd would be a must, windshield is a great add on also. On the downside due to the hills involved my MC is a no go for the Ranger.

2RLAKE
12-08-2012, 12:17 PM
i bought two 500 rangers last year .. love them ... the regular one will go absolutely anywhere. the crew is for the lake ... cruising around ... huge turning radius though

i love my rangers

JohnnyB
12-09-2012, 08:09 AM
i bought two 500 rangers last year .. love them ... the regular one will go absolutely anywhere. the crew is for the lake ... cruising around ... huge turning radius though

i love my rangers

Yeah....i am torn between the two...reg v crew. Did some more research and thinking about regular with the roll cage extension and removable jump seats in the bed

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

2RLAKE
12-09-2012, 08:58 AM
my regular one also double for running around out friends farm ... no way a crew would make any of those turns. i have also looked into those removable seats ... will probably get one

also, dont buy a cheap windshield. I bought a $150 one from polaris that scratches easily ... buy the $400 Koplin one that flips out in the middle a few inches for summer ventilation

DeeeJay02
12-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Here's mine.....
2012 Rzr XP487384

SkiDog
12-09-2012, 12:06 PM
I'll play, this WAS mine. just sold it a while back.:(

O2BESOHUGE
12-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Heres What We Have...kubota About 3 Years Old But It Works! If I Could Keep My Daughter Out Of It!

EricB
12-09-2012, 01:08 PM
I bought one for the family about 3 yrs ago. It is a chineese knock-off of a Rhino. Now I'm not promoting the cheap knock-offs, but I got such a good deal I couldn't turn it down.
Back to the subject of my post; I got it for several reasons. It is a fun vehicle that does work. I pull the dock & lift with it, haul wood and teach the kids how to drive.
Out on a frozen lake, there is no better place to teach kids how to "drift" so they will be prepared for when they drive on the roads. I also use it to move the boat. I have a front reciever on it and it allows easy maneuvering of the boat in and out of the shed. So to me it was well worth the money.

jeff shelton
12-09-2012, 01:24 PM
I have the Kawasaki Mule 610XC. It has the 400cc gas engine. It works great for moving the boat around, yard work and hunting. I used to move an X45 with it and didn't have any problems. I will admit that if you plan to use with a snow plow that it may be a little underpowered. One thing to consider is that the mule will fit between the fender wells of a full size truck. It is 52" wide and weights about 1200lbs.
I do plan to replace the 2x4 with a permanent rack for tube and ezski with a hitch mount and a piece of square tubing.

rholmes
12-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Timely thread, I am about 2 weeks away from pulling the trigger on one. Just have to close on the house first. Thanks for the pics and reviews so far...

2RLAKE
12-10-2012, 09:22 AM
here is the lake ranger

Thrall
12-10-2012, 10:31 AM
I use the 4wheeler more than I thought I would around the house now that we have 5 acres.
Also drag a 60" mower with it.
A friend is into the utv's now and yes, if you have tight trails, turns, the turning radius of the crew cab ones is pretty large. He opted for a 2 seater with rear jump seat for the little kids, but they use it exclusively on mtn trails.
4 seater for back and forth to the dock would be ideal.
Note if you'll be hauling it in the back of the truck, some are too wide to sit between the wheel wells. The Cat is too wide, the CanAM fits (per my friend).
Should have no problem plowing a long drive with it. I plow with my ATV and it'll push a good deal of wet snow without chains. A utv would be even better I'd think due to the extra weight it has.

epnault
12-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Here is a pick of my Ranger Crew hauling a deer stand base. I just winched it from the front and pulled it onto the box. Rangers are awesome87420

mesquitethrasher
12-11-2012, 03:39 PM
We have a 2011 Polaris Ranger EPS Crew. It has been a very good machine. I use it mostly to haul my cooler around the neighborhood. Would recommend one of these to anyone needing a vehicle to haul a lot of people around. If I were just needing one for work I would probably just get the midsize Ranger 500. I think it would do everything I wanted it to do.

u bet shes wet
12-11-2012, 04:11 PM
I have a 2009 polaris ranger 800xp. The second best investment we have made (upgrading to the x45 being first). We use it for hunting, hauling things, moving the MC in and out of the shed. They are a must if you have any acreage and a lot of fun to boot.

pmkkdx
12-12-2012, 11:06 AM
I have a Kubota RTV900 with about 2400 hours on it. Only issue I have had so far was u-joint in front drive shaft and CV joint on front axle but the later was caused due to a ripped boot that I didn't notice timely enough, quite a nice little workhorse.

My son still races offroad motorcycles and we take to the races to get all around the course to watch. I built a highseat for the back that we use for deer hunting and we use it all the time around the house and out on the ranch, especially when it's muddy out (rare as of late).

Brian B
12-12-2012, 01:01 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c250/ultimatuc2/Dads%20RZR4/489442920507.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c250/ultimatuc2/Dads%20RZR4/334312920507.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c250/ultimatuc2/IMG_0164.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c250/ultimatuc2/IMG_0158.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c250/ultimatuc2/IMG_0085.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c250/ultimatuc2/XP.jpg