PDA

View Full Version : my prediction........

milkmania
12-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Tommy Chong will soon move to Washington State or Colorado

JimN
12-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Tommy Chong will soon move to Washington State or Colorado

He said they'll probably disband the DEA, as if other incredibly dangerous drugs aren't out there.

I don't care what anyone says, pot changes a person's thinking ability. They may get along fine while they use it but it's not the same as if they stop or if they had never used.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-06-2012, 02:51 PM
I think most of us know someone who never quit smoking pot, and can see what has happened.

_fng_
12-06-2012, 03:00 PM
I think most of us know someone who never quit smoking pot, and can see what has happened.

and the same could be said of alcohol however the victims would likely be significantly higher. I don't smoke but if it were legal I probably would occasionally. Just because something is legal doesn't mean its good and vice versa.

neil.anderson63
12-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Interesting - He was interviewed last night on NPR. They asked him "Will you be moving to Washington or Colorado soon?" His answer... "Yes,both."

JimN
12-06-2012, 03:34 PM

I know people who never should have started. When I worked in a mall, the local burnouts would come into the store and waste our time because they couldn't keep a string of thoughts together for very long. We'd ask questions and get completely blank, vacuous stares.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-06-2012, 03:37 PM
I know people who never should have started. When I worked in a mall, the local burnouts would come into the store and waste our time because they couldn't keep a string of thoughts together for very long. We'd ask questions and get completely blank, vacuous stares.

That's it in a nutshell.

TxsRiverRat
12-06-2012, 03:57 PM
i wonder is tommy and willie will be roommates

houtexX30
12-06-2012, 04:29 PM

........amateurs

mikeg205
12-06-2012, 04:36 PM
I am on the legalization side from an economic perspective. Country spends too much money investigating, prosecuting, and incarcerating people for smoking and distributing pot while others are making millions growing it in other countries and selling it in huge quantities to main distributors. There are people in federal prison with life sentences for growing plants. If you look back in history the same tales are told about alcohol - about not being able to keep thoughts, ruining peoples lives etc. There's a great documentary PBS put on.

Alcohol and pot - both will get you in lot's of trouble...and ruin you. Hopefully from an economic standpoint the monies that used flow out of Colorado and Washington will now stay there in the form of tax revenue.

On the flipside the thugs who used to sell drugs there will have to make an adjustment. So from the other perspective we may have an economic impact from increased sales of more potent drugs.

From social perspective - losers will always be losers unless they choose to be part of society. Those people will choose bad behavior and drugs if they are legal or not.

I'm going to read the law. I hope any of you here that are lawyers read it as well. My fear is that some liberty has been chipped away at.

My .02...

ahhudgins
12-06-2012, 04:37 PM
One of my sister's friends has smoked pot since the 70's and she eventually moved out to CA and grows her own. She lives like a hippy but has a good job and has done very well for herself. On the other hand, pot didn't work out so well for a former co-worker of mine. After getting out of jail he moved out west and we've never heard another word about him. He didn't even come back to VA for his father's funeral. I guess it depends on how much you smoke and how many other disfunctions you already have.:rolleyes:

http://policecrimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4731&sid=3f4df5f3881e74c86d80c92c41825f07

TxsRiverRat
12-06-2012, 05:19 PM
smoking pot makes you smarter

JDC
12-06-2012, 06:47 PM
........amateurs:D

smoking pot makes you smarterAt least it makes you think so. ;)

JimN
12-06-2012, 08:05 PM
........amateurs

Actually, they were apparently professionals- I never knew anyone who was that wasted when I was their age. Any attempts at subtlety were completely lost on them.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Maybe it pot had been legalized sooner Twinkies wouldn't be on the verge of disappearing.:rolleyes:

JimN
12-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Maybe it pot had been legalized sooner Twinkies wouldn't be on the verge of disappearing.:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure this was part of the plan- go under for a short time, the stoners get all twitchy and one of them, who has a buttload of money, will buy the recipe or the equipment, or both. Then, they can move it to Washington or Colorado and be fat, dumb and happy.

Wait, wut?

thatsmrmastercraft
12-07-2012, 12:08 AM
I'm pretty sure this was part of the plan- go under for a short time, the stoners get all twitchy and one of them, who has a buttload of money, will buy the recipe or the equipment, or both. Then, they can move it to Washington or Colorado and be fat, dumb and happy.

Wait, wut?

So pothead marketing is similar to gorilla marketing after all?

coz
12-07-2012, 08:40 AM

Forget the brownies, the first guy that comes out with pot twinkies will be a very rich man, I'd buy a box :D

JimN
12-07-2012, 09:53 AM
So pothead marketing is similar to gorilla marketing after all?

You mean, 'guerilla marketing'?

If they REALLY want to sell more to stoners, they should put colored, flashing lights on things.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-07-2012, 10:06 AM
You mean, 'guerilla marketing'?

If they REALLY want to sell more to stoners, they should put colored, flashing lights on things.

That darn spell check will get me every time........yes I was going for guerilla marketing. Definitely lose most of the humor with a typo.

Phntmski
12-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Wait, wut?

:D That is hilarious! I think it rings a bell.... I think ;)

TxsRiverRat
12-07-2012, 10:42 AM
:D

At least it makes you think so. ;)

No it's true. if you were hunting buffalo, which buffalo would you kill..? The slowest weakest buffalo in the back of the pack... Smoking pot kills brain cells, and it will naturally kill off the most inferior brain cells, leaving you only with the most elite strong ones... So when all the weak brain cells are depleted, you’ll be one smart mother effer!

:D :D :D

JimN
12-07-2012, 10:55 AM
That darn spell check will get me every time........yes I was going for guerilla marketing. Definitely lose most of the humor with a typo.

Not necessarily- my first thought could have had to do with a gorilla sitting at a desk, coming up with a new sales strategy.:D

JimN
12-07-2012, 10:57 AM
No it's true. if you were hunting buffalo, which buffalo would you kill..? The slowest weakest buffalo in the back of the pack... Smoking pot kills brain cells, and it will naturally kill off the most inferior brain cells, leaving you only with the most elite strong ones... So when all the weak brain cells are depleted, you’ll be one smart mother effer!

If those kids were working on their best brain cells,.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCardl4MEtE

JimN
12-07-2012, 11:03 AM
How to spot a pothead-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuGN5rN4uSs

76S&S
12-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Please don't stop, I haven't laughed this hard in a while...

thatsmrmastercraft
12-07-2012, 11:18 AM

And here we have it as a PSA:

JimN
12-07-2012, 11:25 AM
You know how some potheads are called 'veg-head'? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSVoeHKZDLE

thatsmrmastercraft
12-07-2012, 11:28 AM
You know how some potheads are called 'veg-head'? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSVoeHKZDLE

Good old Cliffy..............

CruisinGA
12-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Don't forget UFO Guy-
http://youtu.be/hoytrHE821o

TxsRiverRat
12-07-2012, 12:12 PM
LMGDAO! Now thats freakin funny!

And for the record, I dont smoke it!

mikeg205
12-07-2012, 12:49 PM
was going to post up cheech chong stuff...from youtube...but eash not appropriate for here...but dang funny.... :D

mikeg205
12-07-2012, 12:51 PM
LMGDAO! Now thats freakin funny!

And for the record, I dont smoke it!

Phew - good to hear.... if ya did you might do something silly like smear wasp attractant on Kyle's house... ;)

thatsmrmastercraft
12-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Phew - good to hear.... if ya did you might do something silly like smear wasp attractant on Kyle's house... ;)

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

GoneBoatN
12-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Pot or alcohol used to the point where it is an addiction is bad. Using either is a slippery slope some/many people may not be able to control. I've convinced my oldest brother death of a massive stroke in his mid-fifties could largely be attributed to his excessive use of alcohol. I like an occasional beer, that's about it. My wife jokes about the fact that when I buy a six pack it sits in the refrigerator for a very long time. (I had to edit this, some times I like a few sips of gin - I like the taste of gin as well)

If you are going to get addicted to something, do it with something that is good (or at least not bad) for you: Skiing, wakeboarding, biking, running, hiking, etc.

The consequence for doing something wrong needs to be commiserate with the deed. Buying/using a small amount of weed, underage drinking etc = small consequence. Repeat offence = signal of a bigger problem which a person needs help = bigger consequence. People who make a big living selling much more dangerous drugs have big negative impact on our society and should suffer severe penalties. A person who get behind a wheel while drunk and kills someone has committed murder - period.

A lot of the problem starts when parents say things like "kids will be kids" and rather than handle the situation appropriately, turning a blind eye to the issue. Sorry, this is a rant of mine. Down the road, this is cleverly concealed with the works "I didn't know" while everyone else around them seen the signs.

I used to think that legalization of marijuana would be a better. You might find this interesting -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cannabis_by_country. I'm not so sure I want our country on the leading (bleeding) edge of this.

TxsRiverRat
12-07-2012, 02:05 PM
If you are going to get addicted to something, do it with something that is good (or at least not bad) for you: Skiing, wakeboarding, biking, running, hiking, etc.

Hi, I'm Mark, and I'm a ski-a-holic

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=51162

mikeg205
12-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Hi, I'm Mark, and I'm a ski-a-holic

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=51162

dang - I was debating putting that up... :headbang::headbang::uglyhamme:uglyhamme

TxsRiverRat
12-07-2012, 02:42 PM
dang - I was debating putting that up... :headbang::headbang::uglyhamme:uglyhamme

;) ;) ;)

gid
12-07-2012, 02:54 PM
If alcohol is legal, pot should be too. IMO alcohol is much worse for you than pot. How many people get alcohol posioning / death each year? pot, zero. Cant od on it either.

I could go home and drink a fifth of whiskey and its ok. I cant go home and puff, order a pizza and watch tv.

What is wrong with pot (other than the Feds viewpoint)? It is just a weed you can grow in your back yard, cut, and enjoy.

Dont get me started on the benefits of Hemp either (male plant) clothing, oils, even can be used to make flex fuel.

mikeg205
12-07-2012, 02:57 PM
MJ on CNBC all day...lol..talking about arrest now... a little MJ and the fiscal cliff won't be so worrysome....dude

1redTA
12-07-2012, 02:57 PM
I think we should legalize and highly :-) tax marijuana

TxsRiverRat
12-07-2012, 03:13 PM
the reason pot isn't legal is because the kennedys were only into bootlegging liquor...

JimN
12-07-2012, 09:17 PM
If alcohol is legal, pot should be too. IMO alcohol is much worse for you than pot. How many people get alcohol posioning / death each year? pot, zero. Cant od on it either.

I could go home and drink a fifth of whiskey and its ok. I cant go home and puff, order a pizza and watch tv.

What is wrong with pot (other than the Feds viewpoint)? It is just a weed you can grow in your back yard, cut, and enjoy.

Dont get me started on the benefits of Hemp either (male plant) clothing, oils, even can be used to make flex fuel.

Alcohol damages more parts of the body but pot has been shown to do serious harm to cognitive abilities and growth in adolescents, especially when they start early. Having seen many people who were chronic users of, well, you know, I have come to the conclusion that the best thing for users to do is stop. Yes, it is an anti-emetic, it lowers intraocular pressure and is a mild sedative but I have seen people who were almost like zombies "come to life" after they stopped. They were able to think much more clearly, make much better decisions re: their lives, were able to concentrate far better and were able to set goals. When they were wasted, the things that mattered most were: food, drinks, getting more pot and food (they forgot they wanted food). Try to take a stoner's pot and see how they react. Better yet, hide it and say they were the last to touch it.

Hemp should be a crop used to make a lot of products but not enough people think it's safe and as long as people are willing to break the current laws, it won't be. It's bad enough that it's imported but cartels are growing it on large acreage in the US- if that becomes a bad enough problem, we're going to see some bloody battles in rural areas when the locals decide to do something about it and the cartels retaliate.

As far as "zero deaths", BS! Do you really think nobody was wasted and dozed off while they were driving? Granted, they were probably doing a blistering 20 MPH, but that's fast enough to veer into on-coming traffic and kill themselves, and others. Pot smokers also suffer from lung cancer, bronchitis and other health problems, whether you want to believe it, or not.

It's the law of the land. Deal with it, until that changes. If you want to push your luck, that's your choice.

JimN
12-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Another way of pot smoking-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DMdo1-yMxM&list=UUvB3solmhqtgDeLpD-yTtfg&index=104

j2nh
12-07-2012, 09:37 PM
We can't stop it, billions and billions of dollars have demonstrated that.
So we educate, legalize, tax and hope we can show people that life is more fun to live than to waste away.
Merry Christmas.

JimN
12-07-2012, 09:43 PM
We can't stop it, billions and billions of dollars have demonstrated that.
So we educate, legalize, tax and hope we can show people that life is more fun to live than to waste away.
Merry Christmas.

It's really nothing more than human nature beating intent. As soon as something is taken from people or forbidden, they immediately want nothing more than what was taken or forbidden. Tell a little kid to leave the cookies alone and they're going to be on a mission to get those cookies.

Bouyhead
12-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Sorry JimN. It's the law of the land because of politicians, who are all "liars and whores" those are your words. I don't need a politician telling me to wear my seat belt, not to ride my bike without a helmet, drink large sugary drinks etc. I'm a big boy and take care of myself.

JimN
12-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Sorry JimN. It's the law of the land because of politicians, who are all "liars and whores" those are your words. I don't need a politician telling me to wear my seat belt, not to ride my bike without a helmet, drink large sugary drinks etc. I'm a big boy and take care of myself.

It doesn't matter that you don't think you need these things, THEY do, and THEY make the laws because THEY want to "provide for the people of America" so THEY can have a legacy of doing good things. For that, we're on the hook for their full pension for life, health care that WE can't have, and if they die, I think their spouse receives the pension until THEY die. Unfortunately, WE haven't done enough to change the politicians when they do stupid things. Congress has had terrible approval ratings for years and what happens? They're re-elected. Why? Because the US has too many people who don't get involved with the issues until it's time to vote and they use the media as their source of info on who they should vote for. Again, why? Because they're too lazy or "busy" to check it out for themselves. They don't want to bother making the decisions on their own, based on info they dug up, regarding things they know nothing about. Somehow, people who couldn't bother to stay in school, off of drugs/booze or gathering a usable set of job skills think they know who will do the best job of leading a country of 315 Million people.

I think it's high time for someone to go to DC and address Congress. The cost of past politicians is a huge drain on us and it should end. Being a lifetime politician should be impossible. I want to see how much compensation costs for current members, past members, surviving spouses and I want members of Congress to justify their existence, explaining why they should receive what they do. This is a recent phenomenon, too. IIRC, it didn't start until 50-60 years ago.

Tristarboarder
12-07-2012, 10:54 PM
"Who knows, they could be made of water dude"........I love UFO guy! That's funny.....unfortunately, people like him are reproducing....

JimN
12-07-2012, 11:21 PM
"Who knows, they could be made of water dude"........I love UFO guy! That's funny.....unfortunately, people like him are reproducing....

And "...besides, I'm always tripping..."

Reproducing? Not if the data about shrinking nuticles is correct. Besides, somewhere, a woman thinks he's brilliant.

Tristarboarder
12-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Takes 2 to tango.....

Tristarboarder
12-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Unless you're high like that that fine specimen of society....

milkmania
12-08-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm not promoting it.... but I do see that some people do get medical relief from it.
had an old girlfriend that needed it for relief....
personally, I can't use the stuff.... DOT certified driver, and an accident is automatic urine test.

http://therideinstyle.com/weed/original/9.jpg

http://therideinstyle.com/weed/original/7.jpg

CantRepeat
12-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Hey, now you can just 420 it up 24/7 or whatever. Might as well start a thread about making cocaine or heroin legal.

How in the hell is this family content?

mikeg205
12-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Hey, now you can just 420 it up 24/7 or whatever. Might as well start a thread about making cocaine or heroin legal.

How in the hell is this family content?

Because it's becoming the law of the land.... it effects us all - if we like it or not...the more we know...the better we can deal with it...FWIW

CantRepeat
12-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Because it's becoming the law of the land.... it effects us all - if we like it or not...the more we know...the better we can deal with it...FWIW

Yeah, toss in some cowbell and it makes total sense. :rolleyes:

Last I saw, it's a federal law and that law says no way brah!! I'm sure MC supports the legalizing of weed.

mikeg205
12-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Yeah, toss in some cowbell and it makes total sense. :rolleyes:

Last I saw, it's a federal law and that law says no way brah!! I'm sure MC supports the legalizing of weed.

I believe MC is also against consumption of alcohol while operating a watercraft but we have a Friday Drink thread. anyway...

Okay the law of some states.....I am sure it will be run up to the supreme court to see who gets their way...

Your point supports - This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

I am no legal scholar - but this thread has brought up some interesting discussion. Is there a constitutional lawyer in the house.

However I believe the states are using presumption as there card. I am surprised the supremacy clause is not being used to stop the activity. We'll probably wind up having a battle like prohibition and wind up having an amendment to allow it or an amendment to stop the states from legalizing it...

Presumption

When a state law affords a person more rights than federal law, the state law is legally presumed to prevail, but only within that state.

This means state law will always supersede federal law when the person in question stands to gain more from the state law. Conversely, when state law imposes more responsibility on a citizen than federal law, the person could be subject to a higher penalty for violating the state law. Environmental conservation laws, employee minimum wage laws and banking regulations are examples of situations where some state laws are more restrictive than similar federal laws.

Conflicting Laws

Federal Laws — and state laws — can be very complicated, and therefore create conflicts. When conflict happens, Federal Law “wins”

A conflict exists if a party cannot comply with both state law and federal law (for example, if state law forbids something that federal law requires). The US Constitution includes what is called the “Supremacy Clause,” which says that the US Constitution, federal laws and US treaties negotiated with our countries are superior to state laws. Therefore, when a state and federal law explicitly conflict, the state law cannot be enforced. This happens when a state law expressly permits an action that the federal law expressly forbids. However, the opposite is not true. States have a right to impose more responsibility on their residents, and a state law can prohibit marijuana even if federal law permits it.

State Laws and U.S. Constitution

Because of the Supremacy Clause, state laws cannot supersede the constitutional rights afforded all U.S. citizens under federal law. No state law can abolish or reduce the rights afforded by the U.S. Constitution. For example, Article 17 of the Constitution expressly forbids forcible slavery, and declares it a right of every U.S. citizen to be free of forced servitude. State law therefore cannot allow slavery at the state level, as this would violate residents’ federal constitutional rights.

Phntmski
12-08-2012, 06:04 PM
This is much better than grass. It's only his 2nd alcohol related offense (that I know of) . At least he wasn't freaking out on weed! For a minute there I thought there might be a problem. That was close...

Per CNN :

Josh Brent, a tackle for the Dallas Cowboys football team, has been arrested on suspicion of intoxication manslaughter after flipping his car in Irving, Texas, in an accident that left fellow Cowboys player Jerry Brown dead, police said Saturday

CantRepeat
12-08-2012, 07:03 PM
I believe MC is also against consumption of alcohol while operating a watercraft but we have a Friday Drink thread. anyway...

You're joking right?

A drink in front of my computer while typing in no way violates the laws. I'm sure most of us are against the intoxicated operation of watercraft and we pretty much call out anyone for doing so.

And smoking weed is surely family activity that goes along with boating.

They hell man. How can you even suggest this a topic is ok for this forum. Pretty much case in point why I left being an admin/mod.

GT500 MC
12-08-2012, 07:49 PM
They hell man. How can you even suggest this a topic is ok for this forum. Pretty much case in point why I left being an admin/mod.

I live in CO and This topic is in the prime time news every night. My 3 young kids ask about it all the time. I think it's OK for this forum. Let's not bury our heads in the sand just because we may not agree with something.

CantRepeat
12-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Well, then roll a fatty and fire it up man. Now you can 420 it up everyday up in CO and WA. Let's get some grow ops going up in here.

Who's got the links to the best grow methods? I know I'm gonna be planting my fair share. Do you guys bong it or roll it?

Here's my latest harvest.

GT500 MC
12-08-2012, 09:29 PM
I personally haven't done that in 20+ years but I'm not passing judgment on anyone. Btw CR, nice crop.:D

mikeg205
12-09-2012, 09:39 AM
You're joking right?

A drink in front of my computer while typing in no way violates the laws. I'm sure most of us are against the intoxicated operation of watercraft and we pretty much call out anyone for doing so.

Regarding my thoughts on drinking and boating vs. this thread could have been worded differently.

You make good points... it's in the news...there's proponents and opponents. People on this forum tend to make good arguments...most of the time not making it personal. I know I will take down posts that discuss how growing, how to distribution, and where to purchase weed illegally. I respect your strong opposition to the new laws that these states are passing regarding weed. And its a very good question if it's an appropriate topic for this forum...

some side effects here...http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-947-MARIJUANA.aspx?activeIngredientId=947&activeIngredientName=MARIJUANA

MC209
12-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Good link!

some side effects here...http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-947-MARIJUANA.aspx?activeIngredientId=947&activeIngredientName=MARIJUANA

Sent from my bada$$ iPhone 5 using Tapatalk!

JimN
12-09-2012, 10:48 AM
And, for those who don't know or who make no distinction, this, frm the same WebMD link-

"Avoid confusion with hemp, a distinct variety of Cannabis sativa cultivated for its fiber and seeds, which contains less than 1% THC."

Personally. If someone wants to get wasted on pot at home and stay there, I don't really care although I have seen people who have pretty much wasted their lives by being high all the time and time just slips past them. Some seem to be able to do better if they use it but it's not all the time, either. It definitely doesn't have the same effect on everyone. However, I don't think driving or operating heavy equipment or carrying weapons while stoned should be allowed. Using it medicinally or using hemp as a crop would be a good thing, though.

JohnE
12-09-2012, 04:40 PM
You're joking right?

Tim you need to relax. Moderating here needs to be kept to a minimum. There's nothing wrong with this thread, IMO. Harold has left the building.

There was a mass exodus back in 2007 due to people not being able to speak their minds and joke a little. And the forum police were no where near as uptight as they have been lately.

This place is already a shell of it's former self - and it was quite the place back in the day.

kenk
12-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Just because something is legalized for consumption in the US...doesn't mean it is good for the consumer...alcohol (legal) has ruined more lives than imaginable...go to an AA meeting as a guest and listen to the stories of how alcohol has ruined the lives of so many good people and you'll be shocked...smoking has killed so many people..but its still legal...junk food helped to make most of US citizens overweight or obese and is prime cause for many health problems and premature deaths...it's still legal (for now)...prescription drugs are legal...but are abused by some...sure, marijuana and other "street" drugs can be abused....but so can alcohol, tobacco, cigarettes, and some foods. Bottom line...if you can't take personal responsibility for what you put into your body..."DON'T DO IT"...If you can..."then knock your socks off"

mikeg205
12-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Just because something is legalized for consumption in the US...doesn't mean it is good for the consumer...alcohol (legal) has ruined more lives than imaginable...go to an AA meeting as a guest and listen to the stories of how alcohol has ruined the lives of so many good people and you'll be shocked...smoking has killed so many people..but its still legal...junk food helped to make most of US citizens overweight or obese and is prime cause for many health problems and premature deaths...it's still legal (for now)...prescription drugs are legal...but are abused by some...sure, marijuana and other "street" drugs can be abused....but so can alcohol, tobacco, cigarettes, and some foods. Bottom line...if you can't take personal responsibility for what you put into your body..."DON'T DO IT"...If you can..."then knock your socks off"

Good points...

JimN
12-09-2012, 06:31 PM

Marijuana was available at drug stores before it was made illegal and sometimes prescribed for asthma relief. Medicinally, as long as it works for the condition, I have no problem but I no longer support its use as a long-term "recreational" habit. I stopped drinking, too. I have seen too many people waste their lives and fortunes with this stuff to take it lightly. I was having a conversation with some others about suicide and, unfortunately, the number of people I knew who did this is over 20 and some others OD'd or died from the effects of drugs and alcohol abuse, including a couple of cousins. Of the suicides, all had been using drugs or booze to excess and the first one happened two years out of high school. Two were "death by cop"- one was someone who tried to buy a boat at the first MC dealership (not an MC boat, though) and the other was the first husband of another cousin.

If someone wants to use this stuff, it's up to them but they should at least take a few seconds to think about what could go wrong and how it might affect their friends & family in the even that it does go south.

If pot is legalized, don't expect the federal deficit to be balanced by the windfall- expect it to increase government spending.

gid
12-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Marijuana was available at drug stores before it was made illegal and sometimes prescribed for asthma relief. Medicinally, as long as it works for the condition, I have no problem but I no longer support its use as a long-term "recreational" habit. I stopped drinking, too. I have seen too many people waste their lives and fortunes with this stuff to take it lightly. I was having a conversation with some others about suicide and, unfortunately, the number of people I knew who did this is over 20 and some others OD'd or died from the effects of drugs and alcohol abuse, including a couple of cousins. Of the suicides, all had been using drugs or booze to excess and the first one happened two years out of high school. Two were "death by cop"- one was someone who tried to buy a boat at the first MC dealership (not an MC boat, though) and the other was the first husband of another cousin.

If someone wants to use this stuff, it's up to them but they should at least take a few seconds to think about what could go wrong and how it might affect their friends & family in the even that it does go south.

If pot is legalized, don't expect the federal deficit to be balanced by the windfall- expect it to increase government spending.

Jimn - are you saying the folks committed suicide due to the pot / alcohol? The pot / alcohol is not was caused them to do this, it was the underlying issues that were ignored.

I understand your views on pot (and that you quit drinking too) good for your life. IMO you should not prevent someone from staying home and having a smoke if they chose. You seem to think all pot smokers are 'wasted' and dont have a life outside of weed. So narrow minded. I, personally, know several Doctors, very successful business owners, and many other 'wasted' folks who light up.

Personally, I lead a pretty good life. Nice house on the River, a second house on another river (smaller river) three paid for cars, boat, motorcycle (paid for too), two dogs, wife, college degree, go to work every day...I even have a second job during the winter to help a friend out. Been lighting up since 7th grade. I guess, per you, I am just a 'wasted' zombie.

gid
12-10-2012, 10:28 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50109534/ns/health-mens_health/

This is an article from Mens Health; tests show jogging in urban areas lead to lower congnitive functions.

JimN
12-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Jimn - are you saying the folks committed suicide due to the pot / alcohol? The pot / alcohol is not was caused them to do this, it was the underlying issues that were ignored.

I understand your views on pot (and that you quit drinking too) good for your life. IMO you should not prevent someone from staying home and having a smoke if they chose. You seem to think all pot smokers are 'wasted' and dont have a life outside of weed. So narrow minded. I, personally, know several Doctors, very successful business owners, and many other 'wasted' folks who light up.

Personally, I lead a pretty good life. Nice house on the River, a second house on another river (smaller river) three paid for cars, boat, motorcycle (paid for too), two dogs, wife, college degree, go to work every day...I even have a second job during the winter to help a friend out. Been lighting up since 7th grade. I guess, per you, I am just a 'wasted' zombie.

I'll address the 2nd paragraph first- I already said that someone can use it if they want. They should, however, consider the effects first. I know people who have good/great jobs and smoke but, in the case of Doctors- that's really illegal and could cause their license to be revoked, IIRC. I stand by my comments- when the people I know use more than normal, I notice differences that can't really be explained, otherwise.

I don't give a shyte what someone has, as far as possessions and making a point of telling anyone on the internet that you have these things and smoke pot isn't the best idea, IMO, given the possibility that someone could see it even though you don't want them to. It's easy enough to find out where someone lives and if you're in the position of applying for a job/pursuing business interests with someone whose company doesn't allow it, it can have a negative effect on the results.

You can call me narrow-minded but, given a choice, I'd rather drive without having to worry that someone will be too stoned to avoid a collision, think they're giving good medical/legal/financial/career advice when they're not. I never liked dealing with people who were drunk/stoned when I did drink and now, I like it even less.

Now, if you think pot doesn't affect someone's mood, you're wrong. Otherwise, why would you use it? If it can make someone less anxious, there's no reason the paranoia felt by some can't go to an extreme level. The people who killed themselves may have had underlying issues but, to put it mildly, something pushed them over a cliff. I know what happened not long before many of them did it, but not all. With three or four exceptions, I got along with all of them well and their deaths came as enormous shocks. I still wouldn't have wanted the others to do it, regardless of any bad encounters.

I know the cliches- "about the worst thing a pot smoker would do is break in and make a pizza", etc. Hilarious until someone does something drastic when they weren't seeing things without the luxury of not being affected by one substance, or another. Or a combination.

"Wasted zombie" isn't how all people act when they're stoned. Some have been using it for long enough that they're used to it and can "act straight". Also, look into "state learning".

From Wiki, "State-dependent learning (state-dependent memory) is a notion that learning and recalling are based on the physiological and mental state of the organism.

It has been very clearly demonstrated that things learned in one environment are best recalled when that environment is reinstated; and, moreover, this applies equally well to “internal” environments (or states) as it does to “external” environments."

Ever talked about this with someone who stopped using something? They often have a hard time remembering things that came easily and that they learned when they were using. I know a guy who's an electrical engineer. He and his wife are doing great- nice home, two great kids who never got into drinking or drugs and they're in a great financial position. He stopped smoking pot by the end of high school because it was taking over his life and he wasn't getting anything done, she still does. She does all kind of goofy things, like wandering off at a large festival, forgetting to do things, doing things that make no sense WRT what she might otherwise do. Fast forward 30+ years after we worked together and he says that "another friend and I are his memory" because he doesn't remember the things we say had occurred years ago. Granted, not everyone remembers things the same way but he's not the only person I know who has problems with his memory.

Too bad it's not possible to know what would have happened if a given person had never started using it and then go back to reality, to compare.

YMMV

thatsmrmastercraft
12-10-2012, 12:49 PM
I'll address the 2nd paragraph first- I already said that someone can use it if they want. They should, however, consider the effects first. I know people who have good/great jobs and smoke but, in the case of Doctors- that's really illegal and could cause their license to be revoked, IIRC. I stand by my comments- when the people I know use more than normal, I notice differences that can't really be explained, otherwise.

I don't give a shyte what someone has, as far as possessions and making a point of telling anyone on the internet that you have these things and smoke pot isn't the best idea, IMO, given the possibility that someone could see it even though you don't want them to. It's easy enough to find out where someone lives and if you're in the position of applying for a job/pursuing business interests with someone whose company doesn't allow it, it can have a negative effect on the results.

You can call me narrow-minded but, given a choice, I'd rather drive without having to worry that someone will be too stoned to avoid a collision, think they're giving good medical/legal/financial/career advice when they're not. I never liked dealing with people who were drunk/stoned when I did drink and now, I like it even less.

Now, if you think pot doesn't affect someone's mood, you're wrong. Otherwise, why would you use it? If it can make someone less anxious, there's no reason the paranoia felt by some can't go to an extreme level. The people who killed themselves may have had underlying issues but, to put it mildly, something pushed them over a cliff. I know what happened not long before many of them did it, but not all. With three or four exceptions, I got along with all of them well and their deaths came as enormous shocks. I still wouldn't have wanted the others to do it, regardless of any bad encounters.

I know the cliches- "about the worst thing a pot smoker would do is break in and make a pizza", etc. Hilarious until someone does something drastic when they weren't seeing things without the luxury of not being affected by one substance, or another. Or a combination.

"Wasted zombie" isn't how all people act when they're stoned. Some have been using it for long enough that they're used to it and can "act straight". Also, look into "state learning".

From Wiki, "State-dependent learning (state-dependent memory) is a notion that learning and recalling are based on the physiological and mental state of the organism.

It has been very clearly demonstrated that things learned in one environment are best recalled when that environment is reinstated; and, moreover, this applies equally well to “internal” environments (or states) as it does to “external” environments."

Ever talked about this with someone who stopped using something? They often have a hard time remembering things that came easily and that they learned when they were using. I know a guy who's an electrical engineer. He and his wife are doing great- nice home, two great kids who never got into drinking or drugs and they're in a great financial position. He stopped smoking pot by the end of high school because it was taking over his life and he wasn't getting anything done, she still does. She does all kind of goofy things, like wandering off at a large festival, forgetting to do things, doing things that make no sense WRT what she might otherwise do. Fast forward 30+ years after we worked together and he says that "another friend and I are his memory" because he doesn't remember the things we say had occurred years ago. Granted, not everyone remembers things the same way but he's not the only person I know who has problems with his memory.

Too bad it's not possible to know what would have happened if a given person had never started using it and then go back to reality, to compare.

YMMV

:D:D:D

Shooter McKevin
12-10-2012, 03:39 PM

One of my buddies in University was a huge "pot makes you smarter" proponent. The guy was extremely brilliant. 4.0 GPA and had his choice of Med schools. He smoked up to study, and smoked up for exams. I remember him being worried about exams if he didn't toke before hand (because of the context dependent memory theory). Personally, I felt he'd have been even smarter without the weed.

We haven't been in touch since finishing undergrad but I heard he's an MD. I've always been curious if he still smokes a lot, and if so how it's effected his life / career.

aquaman
12-10-2012, 04:05 PM

gid......you are the exception and lucky to be so.

it is well documented that pot is a gateway drug that leads to stronger drugs and more frequent use. this is a fact and not my opinion.
pot has also been shown to alter brain activity and has strong links to paranoid/schizophrenic behavior.

pot and alcohol are not the same thing and should not be compared.

expceptions will always be found that smoke pot w/no adverse affects......however the majority of pot smokers are non-starters or the chronic low acheivers.

Phntmski
12-10-2012, 04:06 PM
always thought alcohol was as much a gateway drug as anything...

gid
12-11-2012, 08:58 AM

Bingo.

gid
12-11-2012, 09:13 AM
gid......you are the exception and lucky to be so.

it is well documented that pot is a gateway drug that leads to stronger drugs and more frequent use. this is a fact and not my opinion.
pot has also been shown to alter brain activity and has strong links to paranoid/schizophrenic behavior.

pot and alcohol are not the same thing and should not be compared.

expceptions will always be found that smoke pot w/no adverse affects......however the majority of pot smokers are non-starters or the chronic low acheivers.

- wrong on the first one - it is the individual who is predisposed to move to harder drugs. How about this thought - IF pot were legal and regulated folks would not be exposed to harder drugs thru a dealer.

- pot changes brain activity while on it...as does other drugs (Caffeine, alcohol, etc) Strong links to paranoid - wow, you do believe the movie Reefer Madness was factual

- majority of pot smokers are your doctors, lawyers, politicians, business folks, very success people. People who get up every day and provide for a family. For every one you can point out that is, 'non-starters or chronic low acheiver' I can show you three that are very successful.

Folks - the majority of our envirnoment is bad for us - food additives, pollution, etc. Heck how many eat fast food every day? Soft drinks? If you ate a Big Mac every day for lunch you will have issues long term. Same can be said for a person who smokes an ounce every day, yes, it will affect you. Life can be good with items in moderation.

JimN
12-11-2012, 09:16 AM
- wrong on the first one - it is the individual who is predisposed to move to harder drugs. How about this thought - IF pot were legal and regulated folks would not be exposed to harder drugs thru a dealer.

- pot changes brain activity while on it...as does other drugs (Caffeine, alcohol, etc) Strong links to paranoid - wow, you do believe the movie Reefer Madness was factual

- majority of pot smokers are your doctors, lawyers, politicians, business folks, very success people. People who get up every day and provide for a family. For every one you can point out that is, 'non-starters or chronic low acheiver' I can show you three that are very successful.

Folks - the majority of our envirnoment is bad for us - food additives, pollution, etc. Heck how many eat fast food every day? Soft drinks? If you ate a Big Mac every day for lunch you will have issues long term. Same can be said for a person who smokes an ounce every day, yes, it will affect you. Life can be good with items in moderation.

An ounce in a day? Wow! That's ambitious!

aquaman
12-11-2012, 09:32 AM

If you are saying alcohol can lead to drug use that is possible, but not really a pattern. Majority of people that use alcohol do not do other recreational drugs.

The pot user will often move-up to stronger drugs and combinations of drugs.

Pot should not be legalized, but should be de-criminalized. Too many resources are being "wasted" :rolleyes: enforcing pot use.

aquaman
12-11-2012, 09:43 AM

- i see, in your world if pot is legalized, then drug dealers would stop dealing harder drugs ?? really ?? please explain.

-wrong.....large studies have linked pot use to paranoid-schitzophrenia....long term changes in the brain occur from pot use.

-wrong....not most drs + lawyers use pot, but maybe Your doctors and your lawyers use pot ? :rolleyes:

Really ? Pot is now being compared to Fast Food ?? And you EXPECT people to think POT has not affected your brain ?? :)

Phntmski
12-11-2012, 10:14 AM
If you are saying alcohol can lead to drug use that is possible, but not really a pattern. Majority of people that use alcohol do not do other recreational drugs.

The pot user will often move-up to stronger drugs and combinations of drugs.

Pot should not be legalized, but should be de-criminalized. Too many resources are being "wasted" :rolleyes: enforcing pot use.

"other recreational drugs ", your words not mine.

Maybe a majority of recreational alcohol drug users do or do not move on to other recreational drugs but I'd venture virtually all pot smokers started with alcohol.

I don't care if it's legal or not. Caffeine is the only mind altering chemical I use. Not to say I haven't done a lot of things. Just realized about 20 years ago my life was better without recreational drugs. Not everyone's... mine.

JimN
12-11-2012, 10:37 AM
I don't think anyone can say they have never done, or seen something done, that seemed like a good idea because the person was drunk or high. That's the reason "Hey, y'all- watch this!" is heard just before so many "accidents".

GoneBoatN
12-11-2012, 11:31 AM
So there have been a few comments about effects on employment. At this point just about every major corporation, most small and medium business will require a drug screening. Even Target, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes and etc. all require a drug screening. Get busted and it will be on your permanent record - you will have to list it on every job application. You can try to claim there are plenty of other employment opportunities out there but no doubt you will be eliminating yourself from many good ones. How is that contributing to your success?

GoneBoatN
12-11-2012, 11:32 AM
I don't think anyone can say they have never done, or seen something done, that seemed like a good idea because the person was drunk or high. That's the reason "Hey, y'all- watch this!" is heard just before so many "accidents".

As I like to say, stupidity is an excuse not a reason.

TxsRiverRat
12-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Caffeine is the only mind altering chemical I use. Not to say I haven't done a lot of things.

I'll bring the coffee for polar bear ski day jan 1st scott. :cool:

aquaman
12-11-2012, 11:42 AM
So there have been a few comments about effects on employment. At this point just about every major corporation, most small and medium business will require a drug screening. Even Target, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes and etc. all require a drug screening. Get busted and it will be on your permanent record - you will have to list it on every job application. You can try to claim there are plenty of other employment opportunities out there but no doubt you will be eliminating yourself from many good ones. How is that contributing to your success?

Good point.

Drug testing in the workplace will help isolate the stoners and keep them away from jobs at the Big Box stores.

I suppose ANY employer could implement drug testing as a condition to employment ?
Something to think about.

Can't buy weed if you dont have a job? :)

Phntmski
12-11-2012, 11:46 AM
I'll bring the coffee for polar bear ski day jan 1st scott. :cool:

I'll bring the boat! And I'll be sober :D

1redTA
12-11-2012, 12:03 PM
this thread is going in circles, moderation of anything is key to life

JohnE
12-11-2012, 12:13 PM
this thread is going in circles, moderation of anything is key to life

I agree. Seems appropriate to close this thread at this point. Everyone has had their say. Any further points can be made via pm's.