PDA

View Full Version : Slalom Ski Recommendations?

mxhideout
12-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Since it's winter here, I figured I might as well start looking for my first ski. First off, I'm looking for something used due to my budget. I'm a newb to slalom on the water, and have never even been behind an MC before. With that said, I want something fairly aggressive so I don't outgrow it in a few months, and in case I want to compete.

I don't know much about skis, so I'm just looking for some suggestions on what to look for. I'm 5'6" and about 140lbs.

mikeg205
12-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Get an HO Comp Free Ride.. Easy to get up on and it will take you thru a course. But forget competing...you'll be wiped out by the higher end ski's... Start with a open water ski like the Free Ride, then move to a cross-over and if your better than the ski...then go syndicate... There are many ski's on ebay this time of year.... and at www.ski-it-again. just my opinion - i am sure other skiers will chime in.

Don't forget a ski plan...start with something sell it..move on.. :)

corey
12-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Dude, you're right up the street from us (Midwest MasterCraft) stop in anytime to talk skis we're always happy to help even if you don't buy a ski from us, as mike stated ski it again is a great resource, we're working with the Minnesota Waterski Association too so hopefully we can get some of them to upgrade to new skis and get their used ones into some new hands.

We have some pretty good closeouts cooking and we also offer a demo program so if you don't find anything before spring you can still hit the water for ice out.

mxhideout
12-04-2012, 07:14 PM
What size ski should I be looking for? I may check out Midwest mc if I ever get the free time to go down there.

corey
12-04-2012, 07:19 PM
How fast are you skiing?

mxhideout
12-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Not sure yet. I'm guessing 34 or 36.

mikeg205
12-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Corey will set you up...plus they have that black x-10 :)

mxhideout
12-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Ha, just bought a ps190, so we're good on that.

rodltg2
12-04-2012, 08:15 PM
I am partial to D3, they seem so forgiving and will easily transition to course skiing. Although I have upgraded thorught out the years, I started the course on a d3 barely scrapping a few bouys at 30mph. Now years later and still hacking up the course, my D3 still performs for me at 34 thru 28. Capable of alot more and easy for beginners. With that said, I am sure other skiis are just as suitable. I have heard great things about the HO Triumph and I am considering getting one for my lazy days. You can find an early D3 on ski-it - again for cheap.

madcityskier
12-04-2012, 11:42 PM
If you're new to slalom try starting slower, everything is easier to link together at slower speeds. As you get your form together and everything clicks, up the speed a little at a time. You will develop fewer bad habits and avoid a lot of hard falls.

mxhideout
12-05-2012, 01:13 AM
Yeah, I'll probably start around 28-30mph and work my way up. What do you guys think of this ski? I talked to my dad about sizes, and he's thinking about 65" would be good for me. This 67" would probably work well for him since he's a few inches taller and weighs another 30 lbs.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/spo/3418826924.html

Just found this closeout. I know it's a high-end ski, but it's cheap...

http://www.waterskis.com/HO-S1-Water-Ski-Closeout-p/ho_s1_water_ski_closeout.htm

bkblaida
12-06-2012, 07:06 PM
IMO both skis are too much ski for your beginning level. At the speeds you are starting at you would do very well on a shaped ski such as an HO Triumph or an O'Brian Syncro. (we own both skis.) I have seen good skiers take both these skis through a course at 28 off 34 mph. So you will have a lot of room to improve before needing to upgrade your ski. Both are excellent open water ski's as well which is a real plus..(high end skis are rarely open water friendly).

65" would be good for your size however 67" will not be a problem until you move to the 22 off 32+ mph range and than you may find the 67" a little sluggish around the balls.

When choosing (or wanting :o) a new ski, I refer back to a visit to Coble ski school and asking if it was time for me to consider upgrading my ski. I was told that water skiing is one of the few sports where the equipment (ski) needs to match the ability level of the skier.Buying a ski designed for skiing at levels you are far from mastering will do more harm than help to your performance. I kept my ski for another 3 years.

Good luck in your search.

mikeg205
12-06-2012, 07:09 PM
try this... the new 2103 HO Free Ride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VxS0JsW5OQ

mxhideout
12-06-2012, 09:56 PM
The Triumph is a step above the Free Ride? How much is this worth?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-TRIUMPH-WATERSKI-SIZE-65-w-ATTACK-BINDING-SIZE-7-11-MENS-US-/281030084496#vi-content

mikeg205
12-06-2012, 10:23 PM
The Triumph is a step above the Free Ride? How much is this worth?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-TRIUMPH-WATERSKI-SIZE-65-w-ATTACK-BINDING-SIZE-7-11-MENS-US-/281030084496#vi-content

doesn't say what year... but it's not a bad price...bindings are in good shape - I have a 2010 Triumph and a 2012 Coefficient XL/S like them both. Triumph is a fun ski responsive and the Coefficient is like driving a high performance car.

Triumph good at 30-32 - but less responsive at high speeds... You won't find one ski to take thru different levels. I had a 2010 Free Ride which was good for a season and a half... It was a great ski to master deep water starts but it was rough thru the wake at higher speeds. Its wide and even on edge I would catch air...that said - a triumph could last you awhile depending on your goals and how much time you get to have on the water.

mxhideout
12-06-2012, 10:46 PM
I'll message him for the year. That video of the new free ride makes it sound promising. I think I saw it on waterskis.com (is that Midwest mastercraft?) for $150. I just don't want something that will only last me a couple months.

mikeg205
12-06-2012, 11:01 PM
I'll message him for the year. That video of the new free ride makes it sound promising. I think I saw it on waterskis.com (is that Midwest mastercraft?) for $150. I just don't want something that will only last me a couple months.

yes... the also have midwest watersports when the season gets underway.. http://www.midwestwatersports.com/Water-Skis-s/1669.htm they are near water - you might be able to demo ski's.

How much time will you have to ski? Will you have a coach? Will you be video taping reviewing, doing drills. You're fortunate if you will be able to do that. DO you have access to a course?

mxhideout
12-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Since I'm working 2nd shift, it'll mostly be weekends, or in the morning on weekdays if I can find friends to go with. No coach or course, as I'm just doing it for fun to start out.

mikeg205
12-07-2012, 02:02 PM
mx - talk to easttx... this is a great ski..

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=51560

mxhideout
12-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Looks like a nice ski, but it may be a little long for me, and I was only looking to spend 200-300 for my first ski. The guy with the Triumph on ebay messaged back saying it's a 2009 and they haven't changed until this year. What would y'all say to that? Also, that HO freeride for $165 on waterskis.com looks to be a 2010. Is there a pretty big difference between that and the 2013?

mikeg205
12-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Call HO sports to confirm they are very helpful to confirm - my 2010 Triumph looks different... 425-885-3505

the Attack binding is nice on the ebay listing.. you would to add bindings to eastTx's ski... a little bigger will give you a little more stability for starting out...plus a less fatigue..if you're going to practice alot.

I warm up on my triumph and work on skills with my Coefficient...when I get tired. I go back to Triumph because its wider.

mxhideout
12-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Ok, I'll call if I get a chance. He said he'll take $215, so that would be about 250 including shipping. I'm really considering that since it already has bindings... Is it easy to swap out the rear for a boot in the future?

LaRue
12-07-2012, 03:20 PM
i have a 6 year old HO Charger 69' I am willing to sell for very little coin. Have not skied on it for 1 1/2 years. No bindings. A couple of scratches. PM me if interested.

east tx skier
12-07-2012, 03:21 PM
I have been riding this MPD at 30 mph in the course with no trouble. At 140 lbs and skiing 30 mph, it might not be too long. You can always make a ski feel smaller (fin settings, etc), but it's really difficult to make a short ski feel bigger.

Slalom Ski Sizing Chart (http://www.overtons.com/advice_tips/sizing_charts/slalom_skis.shtml)

Plus, I'm offering to ship it for free. Come take it off my hands. It is a fantastic ski.

mikeg205
12-07-2012, 03:44 PM
personally I like easttx's ski better.. the triumph is nice .. but his is like my coefficient...mine better of course.. ;)... he he's right for a little bit more...you'll get a ski to grow your skill set with and then be able to use it with the new skill set...the triumph you'll want to get rid of when your skill set improves.

mikeg205
12-07-2012, 03:46 PM
fyi mx.. http://waterskimag.com/company/2008/03/07/radar-mpd-3/

east tx skier
12-07-2012, 03:47 PM
The MPD was Radar's flagship ski designed by Mapple. It was to Radar what the Strada currently is to Radar. You don't have to be a pro skier to ride these high end skis (trust me, I'm far from it).

mxhideout, PM at you.

mikeg205
12-07-2012, 03:54 PM
so more like syndicate...than coefficient...

mikeg205
12-07-2012, 03:55 PM
darn...if I didn't have to sticks...I would buy it...but then I would be in trouble... I know what kyle will say to this if he sees this post... ;)

east tx skier
12-07-2012, 03:59 PM
so more like syndicate...than coefficient...

Yes. Top of the line, Andy Mapple designed ski during 2007 and 2008. Relaced by the RS-1, which was replaced by the Strada.

east tx skier
12-07-2012, 04:02 PM
darn...if I didn't have to sticks...I would buy it...but then I would be in trouble... I know what kyle will say to this if he sees this post... ;)

Right now, I have a Radar Vice, Radar MPD, HO Monza, an older CDX1, and an HO Truth (my wife's technically). My wife is riding the Monza from time to time, but I doubt she would care if I sold it and kept the MPD for her.

I don't see having two skis as an impediment to buying a third. Buy it, try it, like it, keep it, or if you don't like it, sell it. Variety is the spice of life. :)

mxhideout
12-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Anyone know what the differences are between the 2010 and 2013 HO Freeride? I found a 2010 for $90 new, and want to get one if not much has changed.

lots...the 2010 is what I sold dual channel bottom very stable easy to get up on....but very stiff - 2013 complete redesign..beveled single concave bottom...new wake board type starting mid ski and new fin. It's a cool ski...I hope to demo on just for snicks...

2010 is a good open water ski, but it's turn hard and you really have to work it...I enjoyed it...

east tx skier
12-10-2012, 12:34 PM
I want something fairly aggressive so I don't outgrow it in a few months, and in case I want to compete.

If you want something you don't outgrow in a few months and considering the idea of competition, I'd suggest looking for something different than the Comp Freeride. HO's website describes that as a ski to have in every boat. It's designed for getting people up on a slalom ski. My experience with that type of ski is that it works well for getting up easily, but doesn't do as well as you begin to want to ski more aggressively. There are skis a level down from the high end stuff that aren't as stiff of a flex and may use more dampening materials in the core that would suit your desire for something that would grow with you a bit better. I know the price is attractive. But the phrase, buy once, cry once rings true here.

mikeg205
12-10-2012, 12:41 PM
If you want something you don't outgrow in a few months and considering the idea of competition, I'd suggest looking for something different than the Comp Freeride. HO's website describes that as a ski to have in every boat. It's designed for getting people up on a slalom ski. My experience with that type of ski is that it works well for getting up easily, but doesn't do as well as you begin to want to ski more aggressively. There are skis a level down from the high end stuff that aren't as stiff of a flex and may use more dampening materials in the core that would suit your desire for something that would grow with you a bit better. I know the price is attractive. But the phrase, buy once, cry once rings true here.

^^ what easttx says...that's why sold mine...easy to get up on - hard to get aggressive. It will do it.. it's not a complete wide body - but it is a fat ski.

Kyle
12-10-2012, 07:18 PM
NEVER buy a Monza. PERIOD

They first are non forgiving.

Second of all the break in Half. Mine broke in half and the only thing keeping it in 1 piece is the bottom laminate of the ski.

I coached a guy at our club during a ski league. He started skiing like crap. I removed his bindings and noticed the same exact problem.

The top laminate was broken and the core was broken.

Kyle
12-10-2012, 07:21 PM

I ski on the HO a2 and like it. Also skied on the a1. Phntmski in my friends has it now.

Both are good skis.

east tx skier
12-10-2012, 09:05 PM
NEVER buy a Monza. PERIOD

They first are non forgiving.

Second of all the break in Half. Mine broke in half and the only thing keeping it in 1 piece is the bottom laminate of the ski.

I coached a guy at our club during a ski league. He started skiing like crap. I removed his bindings and noticed the same exact problem.

The top laminate was broken and the core was broken.

Anecdotal, perhaps, but my 2005 prototype Monza was a blast to ski. At 7 years old, it's still fun for my wife to ride. Maybe the quality went down over the years, but my pointy tip monza with system 8 graphics is a great ski. I didn't find it terribly unforgiving either, although I definitely liked the MPD better.

mxhideout
12-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Any of these you guys recommend? I'd like to keep everything $300 or less.

http://www.wakehouse.com/slalom-water-skis/?sort=priceasc

east tx skier
12-11-2012, 12:20 AM
Radar Senate for $299. If you want to go cheaper, HO Mach 1.

mikeg205
12-11-2012, 12:26 AM
Any of these you guys recommend? I'd like to keep everything $300 or less.

http://www.wakehouse.com/slalom-water-skis/?sort=priceasc

I have bought from them. I bought a rear basis... I had the model before hand. I enjoyed this ski and logged many hours on it. Traxxx here bought and put a nice set of bindings on it. Very forgiving...never fell over the front of it...I would suggest a short ski on this model...not many adjustments on rudder. Get them leg muscles and core ready...you''ll need them to get this ski to go thru it's paces... It's a fun ski.

I would go with the 2010 - not much changed until 2013.

I bought this ski and a 2012 coefficient.. I like the Triumph way over the comp. The Triumph will take you from beginner to novice.. Turning the Triumph is much easier than turning the comp free ride... if you wait the their will be good sales in the spring - keep looking - I go my Triumph for $150.00 from the same guy selling 2010's for 229.99.

Go see Corey at www.Waterskis.com he'll give you great information and set you up.

Kyle
12-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Anecdotal, perhaps, but my 2005 prototype Monza was a blast to ski. At 7 years old, it's still fun for my wife to ride. Maybe the quality went down over the years, but my pointy tip monza with system 8 graphics is a great ski. I didn't find it terribly unforgiving either, although I definitely liked the MPD better.

The 2005 Monza was the best one.

I have skied on 05, 06, 07 mine, 08 and then swithched to A1, A2

After the 05 monza, HO tweaked the skis every year slightly.

If I had the 05-08 monzas tuned and ready to go the 05 would be my choice and I can guarantee that it would ski better. But NOT as good as the A1 or A2

mxhideout
12-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Is the Connelly HP any good?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=390468517992

east tx skier
12-11-2012, 07:47 PM
MX, if you want to reconsider the MPD, I relisted it on eBay for $269 plus $30 to ship. It's in your price range and a better ski than this others listed on that page under $300. Food for thought.

TNH2oSkier
12-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Is the Connelly HP any good?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=390468517992

Not if you want current technology.

mxhideout
12-12-2012, 01:07 AM
That's what I figured. Sent you a pm, Doug.

mikeg205
12-13-2012, 07:40 PM
mx... I will sell you my ho bindings cheap... just picked up some phantoms... I have the HO level bindings x-large...they should fit Easttx's ski - you can get a great ski - good double boot bindings...and you're off to the bouy's let me know...

east tx skier
12-13-2012, 08:17 PM
What year are the bindings? My ski is a modern HO hole pattern. As long as they aren't too old, they should work.

mikeg205
12-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Front was bought 2010 and rear was bought in spring 2012 they are now on a 2010 Triumph pictured.

Brand new 75.00 each - I would sell for $50 for both plus $15 est. (could be less) - freight. I think a fair price for the bindings.

Size is large - xl so it will fit you.

Some of the white vinyl coming off top of boot. but does not affect boot performance.

link for new Level Binding - http://www.waterskis.com/HO-Level-Front-Binding-p/ho_level_front_2009.htm

east tx skier
12-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Should fit my ski no problem. It's on ebay and I offered it to MX for the cost of the opening bid plus shipping, which brings it to $299 delivered. I think he's looking to get ski and bindings for that price, and I will keep it for any less than $299 delivered. So we may not be able to work a deal.

I'm' already 10 lbs down from when I listed it. Another 10 and I will probably hang onto it through the winter so I can compare it to the 68" Radar Vice I bought. I might decide the 67" MPD is a better fit still.

mikeg205
12-14-2012, 11:53 AM
no prob... it's a good offer... I know we both can sell our equipment.

east tx skier
12-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Of course, if MX wants to make me a deal on the 2005 Monza, I think we can get well under his budget. It's a great ski, but a bit older, but also less expensive.

mxhideout
12-14-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm definitely interested in those bindings.... Let me get back to you guys.

mikeg205
12-14-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm definitely interested in those bindings.... Let me get back to you guys.

The only reason I am getting rid of them is because I have Animals on my Coefficient and they feel too different. I am getting something very similar in feel to the Animals to replace.

east tx skier
12-14-2012, 01:08 PM
MX, shot you a PM.

mxhideout
12-15-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm leaning more towards the MPD since it sounds like it would suit me a little better. I just gotta decide if I want to shell out another hundo. Do those bindings come with a plate that's ready to bolt onto a blank ski?

mikeg205
12-15-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm leaning more towards the MPD since it sounds like it would suit me a little better. I just gotta decide if I want to shell out another hundo. Do those bindings come with a plate that's ready to bolt onto a blank ski?

yes... ready to go...including screws...

mikeg205
12-15-2012, 02:51 PM
yes... ready to go...including screws...

I'll make you a deal... I'll make your decals for you if you buy EastTx's MPD ski and my Bindings I'll just toss them into the box with the bindings.

Just give me the dimensions of the Prostar decal on the side... I will draw up the side decals today...

Now that's a deal.. just let me know if you want the same exact blackoutlined letters and left drop shadow like in your "its going to be a long winter thread"

I'll post it up here (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o91j4vsfromgu2x/r0N1CR5VtR)

mxhideout
12-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Wow, I'm sold. I think I have just enough in my paypal account right now... Are you talking just the big MasterCraft on the sides, or would be able to do the Prostar 190 ones as well?

mikeg205
12-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Wow, I'm sold. I think I have just enough in my paypal account right now... Are you talking just the big MasterCraft on the sides, or would be able to do the Prostar 190 ones as well?

All of them... MasterCraft Side Decals x 2, Prostar 190 x 2, Stern Decal by 2 - I can even make matching registration letters. I have to demonstrate the process of Monday and I hate throwing the laminated vinyl away.

This is what mine look like but I will match yours...

mxhideout
12-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Unbelievable. We need more people like you around.... Send me your paypal and the final price, and I'll try to get those measurements this weekend.

mikeg205
12-15-2012, 03:45 PM
I have fun making the art... I will PM you my info... I will post up the art so you can see it later today.

Greenster
12-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Mike,
Hope you dont mind me adding you as my first friend request.

mikeg205
12-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Mike,
Hope you dont mind me adding you as my first friend request.

no prob... this is a great community....

east tx skier
12-15-2012, 05:01 PM
The ski is waiting for its new home. I take paypal and amazon payments. :)

mxhideout
12-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Doug, send me your PayPal.

east tx skier
12-15-2012, 06:09 PM
pm at you.

mikeg205
12-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Here's part 1 of the decal for the back banded 1990 star... will do the prostar tomorrow. The black will be white and the white will be cut out so your boat color will show thru.

mxhideout
12-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Sweet!

mikeg205
12-16-2012, 04:07 PM
going to make these tomorrow... this is what it will kinda look like if you don't buff out the boat..don't forget the dimensions for the prostar and the star thing with the 190 in it...packin' boots up will pm you my info. I'll even send you a couple black ones for trailer...those I already have...:D