PDA

View Full Version : LOW RPM's???

erkoehler
09-10-2005, 03:41 PM
I had the boat out on Thursday of this week, and I wasn't getting the same power that I am used too. It seemed sluggish, and wouldn't get fully up to speed. If I punched it out of the hole, I would get a good burst of power up till approx. 3k rpm and them it would back off. Sometimes it would jump up to 4k rpm, but wouldn't hold speed. We were going slow enough that when I was footing long line it felt mushy and the driver had the throttle wide open.

What do you guys think is the problem? I was thinking that one of the injectors may have a partial clog, so I put in some premium gasoline :eek: and was going to dump some fuel injector cleaner in also.

Could the engine just need a tune up? Any ideas?

bcampbe7
09-10-2005, 04:01 PM
I had the boat out on Thursday of this week, and I wasn't getting the same power that I am used too. It seemed sluggish, and wouldn't get fully up to speed. If I punched it out of the hole, I would get a good burst of power up till approx. 3k rpm and them it would back off. Sometimes it would jump up to 4k rpm, but wouldn't hold speed. We were going slow enough that when I was footing long line it felt mushy and the driver had the throttle wide open.

What do you guys think is the problem? I was thinking that one of the injectors may have a partial clog, so I put in some premium gasoline :eek: and was going to dump some fuel injector cleaner in also.

Could the engine just need a tune up? Any ideas?

Probably just needs tuned-up (plugs and wires).
May want to change your fuel filter also.

erkoehler
09-10-2005, 04:15 PM
I just changed the fuel filter approx. 30 hours ago or in July!

I will try to get an appointment at the MC dealer to get the tune-up.

6ballsisall
09-10-2005, 04:34 PM
I just changed the fuel filter approx. 30 hours ago or in July!

I will try to get an appointment at the MC dealer to get the tune-up.

Could be another filter believe it or not. Also, fuel pump could be the culprit. hows the spark plugs look?

jimmer2880
09-10-2005, 08:38 PM
I vote for the fuel pump. It has a small screen on the in-let side which doesn't take much to get clogged up.

east tx skier
09-10-2005, 10:09 PM
Didn't Erk just swap the pump, too?

Erk, you can swap those plugs and wires yourself. It's a chevy afterall.

erkoehler
09-11-2005, 02:26 AM
Didn't Erk just swap the pump, too?

Erk, you can swap those plugs and wires yourself. It's a chevy afterall.

I only swapped the fuel filter, and that seemed to take care of all previous issues. I will pull the plugs and take a look sometime early this week.

As far as changing the plugs and wires, is that likely to solve the problem? Can you get the plug wires from a standard auto parts store?

erkoehler
09-11-2005, 02:27 AM
:confused: I vote for the fuel pump. It has a small screen on the in-let side which doesn't take much to get clogged up.

Is this replaceable or cleanable?

6ballsisall
09-11-2005, 10:36 AM
As far as changing the plugs and wires, is that likely to solve the problem? Can you get the plug wires from a standard auto parts store?

It could solve the problem. No way to tell until you diagnose the problem though. You can get the plug wires from a parts store, get the better wires though, at least 8mm.

jimmer2880
09-11-2005, 07:42 PM
:confused:

Is this replaceable or cleanable?

Yes and Yes. I've cleaned mine about 5 times now & it's still running. Darn fuel cans.

But - since I put a filter before the pump - I should have cleaned it for the last time now.

erkoehler
09-11-2005, 08:59 PM
I am going to go to Auto Zone tomorrow and get some plugs and wires. We will start there. Since it is a 1996, it is probably about ready for new wires anyways.

I am also going to review the service records that I got when I bought the boat to see if there is any info in them.

PendO
09-11-2005, 09:25 PM
I've never done it, but how hard is it to get to the screen on the fuel pump?

Hope the plugs and wires help;)

erkoehler
09-11-2005, 09:31 PM
I don't think you clean the screen on the fuel filter. Atleast I don't see why you would as they are only like $10 and it would probably be easier just to replace it.

PendO
09-11-2005, 10:35 PM
I don't think you clean the screen on the fuel filter. Atleast I don't see why you would as they are only like $10 and it would probably be easier just to replace it.

meant so say screen on the fuel pump ;)

jimmer2880
09-12-2005, 07:34 AM
I have it down to about a 15 minute job.

Step 1 (I forgot this a couple times) - on top of the fuel tank is a shut-off valve. Turn your gas off.

The worst part is removing the bolt that holds the bracket that holds the pump. Once that is out, then disconect the upper hard-line & the lower hard-line. The lower hard-line (the return from the TB) actually goes into a T with a rubber line that runs to the tank. The 3rd of the T connects to the pump. Don't worry about removing the hard line, or the rubber - rather, disconnect the T from the pump. Now you can move the pump up to disconnect the rubber supply line from the bottom. Remove the wires & the pump is out.

Now that the pump is out, remove the lower supply fitting from the bottom of the pump. You'll need a (I think - 9/16) and a large adjustible wrench. Put the adjustible across the "Y" that's built into the pump chassis & remove the fitting. Now you should have full access to the screen.