PDA

View Full Version : Which spark plugs for a '02 X30 w/L18??????

prostar205
09-10-2005, 11:26 AM
I just heard from my dealer who is servicing my boat that I had the wrong spark plugs in my boat. It had the Nippon Denso TJ14R-P15 plugs in it from the factory. I replaced them with this same plug right after I got the boat in Jan. 2005. Furthermore, the Indmar and MasterCraft manuals call out this plug.

My dealer said the correct plug is the AC Delco 41-983. This is the plug called by by Indmar for the 2003+ L18 engines. I believe Indmar upped the horsepower on the '03+ L18s from 425 hp in '02 to 450 hp in '03+. The dealer said they called Indmar and gave them the engine serial number and Indmar told them the plug should be the AC Delco 41-983.

Question: Has anyone experienced this? Also, the dealer charged my $160 to change the plugs. I used the plugs called out in both the MasterCraft and Indmar manuals, why should I have to pay for someone elses mistake????

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

erkoehler
09-10-2005, 11:32 AM
If you didn't authorize the switch, they can't charge you for it. Also, $160 seems about a minimum of $130 too much.

6ballsisall
09-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Holy cow!!! $160 to change 8 spark plugs!!! I am in the wrong business. :eek:

prostar205
09-10-2005, 12:17 PM
That was my thought as well.

The plugs were $12.50 ea. and 1/2 hour ($95/hr) labor = $48 labor.

The parts total was $103 plus labor plus tax.

I could get the plugs from NAPA for $7 ea. plus tax.

prostar205
09-10-2005, 12:20 PM
You are correct, I did not authorize them to replace the plugs. My plugs had 40 hours on them. They did give me the option of taking the plugs out and putting the old ones back in.

erkoehler
09-10-2005, 12:21 PM
You are correct, I did not authorize them to replace the plugs. My plugs had 40 hours on them. They did give me the option of taking the plugs out and putting the old ones back in.

To which they would charge you another 1/2 hour of labor? I definetly wouldn't have given them any money. I can't do much in the way of maintenance on my engine, but I can change a spark plug :D

bigmac
09-10-2005, 02:18 PM
I just heard from my dealer who is servicing my boat that I had the wrong spark plugs in my boat. It had the Nippon Denso TJ14R-P15 plugs in it from the factory. I replaced them with this same plug right after I got the boat in Jan. 2005. Furthermore, the Indmar and MasterCraft manuals call out this plug.

My dealer said the correct plug is the AC Delco 41-983. This is the plug called by by Indmar for the 2003+ L18 engines. I believe Indmar upped the horsepower on the '03+ L18s from 425 hp in '02 to 450 hp in '03+. The dealer said they called Indmar and gave them the engine serial number and Indmar told them the plug should be the AC Delco 41-983.

Question: Has anyone experienced this? Also, the dealer charged my $160 to change the plugs. I used the plugs called out in both the MasterCraft and Indmar manuals, why should I have to pay for someone elses mistake????

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

The AC-Delco 41-983, the NGK PZTR5A-15, and the Denso TJ14R-P15 are all cross-referenced as equivalent plugs.

That plug is platinum tipped, so is spendier than others, but I note that it's selling for $3.59 per plug here at Fleet Farm. Your dealer made out pretty well on that deal, especially since it was NOT the wrong spark plug.

erkoehler
09-10-2005, 02:20 PM
Bigmac,

That should make him feel really good about spending all that money! :eek:

bigmac
09-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Bigmac,

That should make him feel really good about spending all that money! :eek:

I was under the impression he already felt bad about it... ;)

erkoehler
09-10-2005, 02:27 PM
I was under the impression he already felt bad about it... ;)

Salt in the wounds :(

bigmac
09-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Salt in the wounds :(

Ammunition for his return trip to the dealer to complain about performing unauthorized work AND getting hosed for it.... :mad:

HERE (http://webpages.charter.net/hmac/Master_Cross_Reference_Charts4.xls) is the cross reference chart (needs Excel).

prostar205
09-11-2005, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the X-Ref chart. The service manager at the dealer said there was no X-Ref to the 41-983.

After I pick the boat up, my first call is going to be to Indmar customer service to verify the correct spark plug and to verify my dealers conversations with them. If it turns out they (my dealer) was not truthful with me and changed my perfectly correct and good plugs, I will give them one chance to reverse the charge on my credit card. If they choose not to, my second call will be to the factory.

I have no reason to believe this dealer would try to stiff me for plugs that I did not need. The tech who has worked on the boat is a great guy.

I do agree that $12 per plug to way high - but it is a dealer - of course they are going to be high.

If it turns out that the MC manual and the Indmar manual are both incorrect, my qwestion to MC is why wouldn't the plug change be covered under my extended warranty or better yet, covered by the factory becuase the manuals are not right????? I don't think I'm asking for too much.

prostar205
09-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Just got off the phone with Indmar. The plugs they put in their L18s is the AC Delco 41-983. However, they did say the Nippon Denso TJ14R-P15 is acceptable but they prefer the AC Delco plug.

Now I get to go the dealer to pick up the boat and tell him that I am not happy that they:

a) changed my plugs without my authorization
b) removed perfectly good plugs

This should be fun. This dealer has always been real fair and good to work with. I don't want to scare my relationship with them.

bigmac
09-12-2005, 10:00 PM
Just got off the phone with Indmar. The plugs they put in their L18s is the AC Delco 41-983. However, they did say the Nippon Denso TJ14R-P15 is acceptable but they prefer the AC Delco plug.

Now I get to go the dealer to pick up the boat and tell him that I am not happy that they:

a) changed my plugs without my authorization
b) removed perfectly good plugs

This should be fun. This dealer has always been real fair and good to work with. I don't want to scare my relationship with them.

If he gets pissy about it, split the difference with him and chalk your half up to keeping the relationship good. He hosed you on the labor anyway.

prostar205
09-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Just got the boat back last night.

The dealer and I talked to the same guy at Indmar - his name is JT. My dealer is going to try to get Indmar to reimberse them/me for the plug change since the Indmar online manual was never updated to use the latest AC Delco plug.

We'll see how far that goes. I will be hounding them like a pitbull in heat. They will hopefully get this done just to get me off their backs.

PendO
09-15-2005, 02:19 PM
From a $ point of view, I'm surprized a dealer wouldn't just eat it in exchange for a bit of goodwill ... also, it's probably been asked, but where are your old plugs?

Just got the boat back last night.

The dealer and I talked to the same guy at Indmar - his name is JT. My dealer is going to try to get Indmar to reimberse them/me for the plug change since the Indmar online manual was never updated to use the latest AC Delco plug.

We'll see how far that goes. I will be hounding them like a pitbull in heat. They will hopefully get this done just to get me off their backs.

prostar205
09-15-2005, 03:26 PM
The old plugs are in a plastic bag in the boat. I will probably use them when I need new plugs at the next 50 hours service. However, the old plugs have 40 hours of useage on them - so maybe not.