PDA

View Full Version : Will my truck pull an X45?

LittleFuss
12-01-2012, 11:51 PM
I am considering an upgrade later on this month. I currently own a 1997 Prostar 190 and I am looking at a 2005 X45. My question to you fine folks is this:

Will my 2003 Toyota Tundra pull the X45?

I dont usually haul my boat more than 10 miles so long treks are not part of the plan. The truck has a V8 and is a 2WD. The rated towing capacity is 7200 lbs. but am wondering if pulling a boat up a ramp was considered when that was made the rating.

All information iswelcome.

Cobra Rob
12-02-2012, 12:53 AM
My X-45 sits about 7800 pounds with trailer..

My 2007 F150 struggled with it a bit going up even minor hills on the freeway. The new F250 does not even blink.

If you are going short distances you will be fine. Pulling even up the ramp is ok.. Stopping is usually the bigger concern just know you will be over your limit.

gotjag941
12-02-2012, 08:21 AM
I know a guy that pulls a 2002 Regal 2860 Commodore about 10000 lbs with with trailer using 03 TRD Tundra Crew Cab about 300 miles a few times a year he said it does fine

Miss Rita
12-02-2012, 10:23 AM
The truck has a V8 and is a 2WD. The rated towing capacity is 7200 lbs. but am wondering if pulling a boat up a ramp was considered when that was made the rating.

They look at everything when they determine tow ratings. The 7200 lb rating is based on the maximum towed load with nothing in the vehicle, so it's clear you'll be over the max. I doubt you'd have trouble over a level ten mile route. I'd be most concerned about pulling the X45 up a boat ramp. Two wheel drive, perhaps a high axle ratio, lack of traction, and slippery ramps could be a problem. You could be "that guy" on YouTube videos.

mikeg205
12-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Curb weight is about 5300 pounds and your x-45 is 7800 lbs...

It's going to be close....I assume you have the heavy duty towing package.

#1 - Gravity...backing down the ramp you will the 60% of the weight pulling your tow backwards...so I suggest electric brakes on trailer

#2 - Get the best tires money can buy that will give you excellent traction characteristics - ask Thatsmastercraft here - he's the tire guy. Any debris sand gravel water slime will make you that youtube guy like Miss Rita writes. At least upgrade to bigger wheels and tires. And make sure there some nice weight over that back axel.

#3 - It's not the rolling that kills the transmission and rear end - it's the start.

#4 - If you can afford an X-45 upgrade that towing vehicle - at least to a 4-wheel drive...

Was in a 1999 chevy blazer backing down a ramp with prostar 205v. (not my car) some light gravel debris was on ramp. Surge brake on trailer useless when boat started dragging Blazer down ramp...we were almost those guys...usual tow vehicle was in shop. How did we get out? 2 10K Lbs straps connected to tow rings on blazer and to an F150 with a big 8 - and towing package..

Just my opinion..but don't be this guy..below

mustangtexas
12-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Most people don't think about what may be the most expensive part of over capacity, the ticket and being stuck on the side of the road waiting for a larger capacity tow vehicle to show up. Your Parish Sheriff's office and state troopers have weight and measure units on patrol as do all states and most counties. And if you have an accident, your insurance may not pay and if someone gets hurt you could be paying for a long time.

mikey.145
12-02-2012, 11:30 AM
I had an 08' Tundra with the smaller V8 (2wd) when I got My X45 about 3 years ago.
The only problem was about half the boat ramps I use, the rear wheels would spin when trying to pull the boat out. Usually would need a couple guys jumping up and down on the bumper for traction. Otherwise it pulled the boat just fine locally and did pretty well on the Houston to Austin trips, and would struggle slightly on steep hills though at highway speeds.
I went out and bought an F250 which may have been a little overkill to pull the boat, all you need is a 4 wheel drive gas truck. 4X4 is the key, even the F250 spins the rear wheels at the same docks if not in 4wd.

mikeg205
12-02-2012, 11:36 AM
I had an 08' Tundra with the smaller V8 (2wd) when I got My X45 about 3 years ago.
The only problem was about half the boat ramps I use, the rear wheels would spin when trying to pull the boat out. Usually would need a couple guys jumping up and down on the bumper for traction. Otherwise it pulled the boat just fine locally and did pretty well on the Houston to Austin trips, and would struggle slightly on steep hills though at highway speeds.
I went out and bought an F250 which may have been a little overkill to pull the boat, all you need is a 4 wheel drive gas truck. 4X4 is the key, even the F250 spins the rear wheels at the same docks if not in 4wd.

Truck yeah! :D

Kyle
12-02-2012, 12:24 PM
The truck should work fine for 10 miles.

Be careful stopping and backing down the ramp.

Getting out of the lake should be easy. Have a boat driver and a truck driver. When the truck starts pulling have the boat push the truck for a running start. Once the boat prop is near coming out of the water just turn the key off on the boat. The truck should be able to make it fine up the ramp in 2x4. :)

mikeg205
12-02-2012, 12:40 PM

Getting out of the lake should be easy. Have a boat driver and a truck driver. When the truck starts pulling have the boat push the truck for a running start. Once the boat prop is near coming out of the water just turn the key off on the boat. The truck :D be able to make it fine up the ramp in 2x4. :)

It's the "should" that always get's me... ;)

thatsmrmastercraft
12-02-2012, 09:33 PM

Getting out of the lake should be easy. Have a boat driver and a truck driver. When the truck starts pulling have the boat push the truck for a running start. Once the boat prop is near coming out of the water just turn the key off on the boat. The truck should be able to make it fine up the ramp in 2x4. :)

Reminds me of being the boat guy while my cousin was pulling his Supra out with his Ranger. Not that much fun.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Sounds like a bigger truck or smaller boat is the answer.

Kyle
12-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Reminds me of being the boat guy while my cousin was pulling his Supra out with his Ranger. Not that much fun.

I never said it was ideal. :)

strad
12-03-2012, 12:19 AM

lol I don't think the guys in charge of maintaining the launch ramp would like it either! You could be digging up all kinds of bottom mud and depositing it in a ridge.

Kyle
12-03-2012, 01:20 AM
But the tundra pulled the 300k lb space shuttle endeavor over a bridge. Therefore theoretically the tundra "should" be plenty of truck for an X45.

Those comercials are such bull chit. I had to suffer through them like 3 times just durring the cowboys vs eagles game.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-03-2012, 09:42 AM

But it does indeed work.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-03-2012, 09:44 AM
But the tundra pulled the 300k lb space shuttle endeavor over a bridge. Therefore theoretically the tundra "should" be plenty of truck for an X45.

Those comercials are such bull chit. I had to suffer through them like 3 times just durring the cowboys vs eagles game.

Better than all the campaign hate-commercials, but still brings me close to throwing things at the tv.:rolleyes:

willyt
12-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Better than all the campaign hate-commercials, but still brings me close to throwing things at the tv.:rolleyes:

i freaking hate that commercial too. its sad that NASA is so desperate for funding they'd let toyota get anywhere close to the shuttle (if that actually happened...)

just a reminder - when your backing down the ramp your trailer brakes arent activated, because your truck is in reverse.

Kyle
12-03-2012, 10:52 AM

So Peter

How many tv's did you go through durring the campaign? :D

milkmania
12-03-2012, 10:53 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=fsMX_xexcdY&feature=endscreen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGlqLlIUIoM

never saw the commercial, but I'm wondering what Toyota paid out for the promo???

MattsCraft
12-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Yeah, well the VW Touareg pulled a 747 too:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ALZa1adD5c

Kyle
12-03-2012, 11:02 AM

I guess the VW Touareg "should" work just fine too.

milkmania
12-03-2012, 11:07 AM

I pulled a marina and restaurant with a K1500 suburban8p

It was only 10 feet, but still it's technically a marina and restaurant ;)

the water level changed and the articulating walkway was underwater.

in the pic below.... walkway in red square, suburban at red dot

thatsmrmastercraft
12-03-2012, 11:09 AM
So Peter

How many tv's did you go through durring the campaign? :D

I used a little preventive action..........I only watched what I recorded on the DVR and then had the pleasure of fast forwarding through the annoying commercials. I have pretty much given up watching anything other than sporting events and news as it airs.....otherwise I would have a dead tv count.

mikeg205
12-03-2012, 11:41 AM
LOL....luv the multimedia debate...how much weight did they put in the back of toureg 2500lbs to get it to its GVWR? Toureg 4 wheel drive and 8 speed transmission. just sayin' :D - Ok I can agree if the right tires are purchased....and the trailer get electric assist brakes and OP crew sits in back when taking boat out of water.

MattsCraft
12-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Sorry, not to jack this thread, (I own and did research prior to purchase) but it is really a total joke... The T-Reg used was a V-10 for one, second they added a ton of weight in the rear. Funny, when I questioned the dealer about the tow capacity they directed me to this post, completely out of context on how the vehicle is used in a real life situation. I do have about 800 miles towing my X2 with mine and cannot say anything bad about it's ability to tow.

ttu
12-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Sorry, not to jack this thread, (I own and did research prior to purchase) but it is really a total joke... The T-Reg used was a V-10 for one, second they added a ton of weight in the rear. Funny, when I questioned the dealer about the tow capacity they directed me to this post, completely out of context on how the vehicle is used in a real life situation. I do have about 800 miles towing my X2 with mine and cannot say anything bad about it's ability to tow.

will have to agree with this post. i also have a touareg tdi and it pull my x2 great.

Mastercraftdave
12-04-2012, 12:51 AM
There is a Huge weight difference between and X2 and X45. I have a Silverdo Z71 and it does and OK job. You know the boat is behind you and your not gonna run faster than 65 -70 mph but it gets the job done for me. X45 is a heavy boat.

bsloop
12-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Can a 1/2 do it? Yes
Will a HD do it better? YES!

My 240sc scales at 6600+ equipment + weekend travel gear for a holiday weekend.
I tow with a 2008 GMC 3500 single axle D-max - smooth and effortless towing, stopping and cornering. Trip from KC to Havasu over the mountains and many others was under control and FUN.

I have towed KC to Austin (very flat) with a buddy's 2007 F150 - acceptable but could feel the boat and cringed at the thought of wear on trans. (fortunately my buddy totals vehicles regularly)

Used my father's 2006 GMC 1500 5.2 in a pinch 100 mile tow. It towed "ok", not as well as the ford and I didnt like the pushing feel in corners.
I also originally towed with a 1994 Suburban 1500 which also would get pushed around and was a dog towing.

The sounds like the x45 will be almost 2k heavier with a full load of fuel etc.
The Toy will tow it but prob not like it. Take it easy and make sure the surge brakes work properly!
Be lined up before getting too far down the launch ramp, go SLOW. Quick stops will break traction and the dragging will begin :)
Have good tires, pick a dry lane and forget about pulling out on a holiday evening after hours of water and oil coat the ramp. Accept when the ramp is too wet and dont look like an azz. Request help for weight in the bed and keep a tow strap handy.

I predict you will try it for a year and be upgrading trucks.

Mastercraftdave
12-05-2012, 03:40 PM
MY truck is also Lifted and I mean it gets the job done. Its about 80 miles to the dealer form my river house. There are not many Hills in Louisiana so I dont hae much experience with that. If you can get a 2500, Do it!

Miss Rita
12-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Yeah, the Touareg can pull a 747, but it can it stop a 747?:steering:

thatsmrmastercraft
12-05-2012, 04:50 PM

............good question.

Forrest-X45
12-05-2012, 04:51 PM
You can never have enough power or tow vehicle. It is better to have too much tow vehicle and not need it versus having not enough tow vehicle and needing it. Highly recommend a 3/4 ton or 1 ton for towing a 45. I have towed with both and it is much more comfortable towing with a 1 ton single axle versus a 1/2 ton, but I also tow through mountain passes and lots of hills.

FourFourty
12-05-2012, 05:07 PM

Exactly...

The biggest thing that I would worry about is the liability if something happened. If you get in an accident overloaded, it is not gonna matter who's fault it is..... It will be your's. Think about that....

LittleFuss
08-24-2013, 01:07 AM
Looks like we may be purchasing a 2011 Titan 2wd. It has the Big Tow Package. My tundra is starting to make my wife and I nervous when pulling the boat out. The tranny is under a real strain even though we went with a MS230 instead of the 45.

bsloop
08-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the update.

So your biggest concern is how the torque converter is rev'ing as you pull out of the water at the ramp?
Were there other tow concerns? How did the Tundra do controlling corners and descents?
As I said earlier, I know with my 7200# load, the surge brakes will tend to push a half ton around more than a 2500.

I don't think the Titan will be a noticeable difference if gearing is equal. Tundra is conservative rated at 8400 vs Titian 9500.
What gears do you have now?

mzimme
12-09-2013, 05:59 PM
For what it's worth, I've pulled my 3400# (dry) boat plus trailer/gear/gas with a 2005 Titan w/ the 5.6L V8. I'd say I was close to 5500# fully loaded on that trip. I pulled it with a Titan and the thing really struggled holding speed with a headwind. I'm talking 70mph speed... it would sit at 65, but the thing really struggled up hills and the gas mileage was horrible (8-10mpg). I'd look at other options unless you're waiting for the Titan loaded with the new cummins diesel. Handling wise it was fine. Didn't ever feel the boat would push it around, but my boat is much smaller than an x45. Mine sits on a single axle boatmate trailer, which pulls great also. This was over a 20 hour round trip drive from KC to northern MN and back.

uplander
12-09-2013, 08:24 PM
I think the big concern would be the 2wd and the ramp, nothing worse than watching a guy spin his tires going up a ramp.

MattsCraft
12-10-2013, 11:02 AM
i freaking hate that commercial too. its sad that NASA is so desperate for funding they'd let toyota get anywhere close to the shuttle (if that actually happened...)

just a reminder - when your backing down the ramp your trailer brakes arent activated, because your truck is in reverse.

Will, Will, Will - I thought I taught you everything:D You should not back down the ramp in reverse... Only use reverse to get her started then switch into neutral... Using reverse is how the truck ends up in the lake!;)

Stefan
12-10-2013, 11:11 AM
I think the big concern would be the 2wd and the ramp, nothing worse than watching a guy spin his tires going up a ramp.

YESSS... because it's much more fun seeing somebody (else) spinning it's tires going down the ramp... :D :D :D