PDA

View Full Version : GM Dealerships

willyt
11-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Ok... so i've had absolutely horrid experiences with the dealership I go to for my tahoe. First, buying the truck was a complete disaster (should have walked away then), then come to find out my truck doesn’t have the HD towing package (even though they said it did). Now, I get my paperwork back from the oil change I just had (only reason I take it there is they said they offered a lifetime powertrain warranty as long as I took it there for oil changes) and I find that they ‘inspected the spark plugs and found them in poor condition.’ Well, I had them replaced at THEIR FREAKING DEALERSHIP 2 months ago. So I called the service manager and said ‘oh you know that’s just the system looking at your miles and recommending what you need’. Well… don’t freaking say you inspected something, having not really inspected it.

I’m being a complete moron about this lifetime warranty thing? If it turns out to be true, could save me a few grand if my transmission ever decides to blow, but I should probably have a lawyer look at the paperwork and see if I have anything legally enforceable, right?

JohnE
11-28-2012, 01:28 PM
That's just them trying to sell you something you don't need. I don't believe for a second that it was an honest mistake. And I imagine if and when you ever need warranty work it will cost you a fair bit out of pocket.

mikeg205
11-28-2012, 01:30 PM
I bought an extended warrranty on my '01 benz when I bought it on '05. Every I took it in they found stuff wrong...new suspenstion, Mass Air Flow Sensor, etc.etc... thought I bought a lemon... I spent $400... warranty spent thousands...oddly extended warranty expired 100K miles ago...and nothing has failed like when under warranty...

I would find out what and how to make claims...and how things get magically excluded. IMO

ncsone
11-28-2012, 01:36 PM
It seems like everytime I take a vehicle in for warranty work, they always 'find' something else wrong to fix under warranty - spark plugs one time, etc.

Since the manufacturer pays the dealer for warranty repairs (less $, but still paid), I am guessing the dealers are doing it to increase service department revenue.

jkski
11-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Willy,
Doubt it is much help but I will toss it out there anyway. I had an issue with a GM dealer a year or so ago and made contact with the GM Customer Service people who I found to be extremely helpful. Subsequently I have a GM dealership that I utilize now for service and the people there are great to work with, honest and will not fix something that does not need fixing. If you ever want to talk to a GM dealer service manager, let me know and I will gladly put you in contact with the person I deal with locally...not sure he can help you in Cbus but he may be able to guide you a bit.

Ski-me
11-28-2012, 02:14 PM
For the most part, I deal with this type of "suggestions" and go to the dealer anyways. Unless it needs their attention, I generally try and do the work on my own. Oil changes are $18 per truck so a good deal.

I bring in the 04' Yukon XL and the 89' K5 Blazer.

Last time I went in there for an oil change, the guy came up to me and said they checked my air cleaner and it needs to be replaced. I LITERALLY just changed it 2 days prior, so less than 100 miles on it. I stared at him and said, "really?! It was just changed two days ago and....are you sure you looked at it?" He was a little star-struck for a moment and then said there was dust on it......LAME!

This just goes to show you......you need to know your vehicle so you don't spend extra money unnecessarily.

For the 04' and most likely to the OP, spark plugs are set to change at 100,000 miles. I just hit that milestone so I will be replacing (already bought them from Advance Auto with 20% off).

For the Blazer, I re-did the entire front end, ball joints, brakes, calipers, steering linkage, etc and then brought it to the dealer for an alignment. Figured they should know the truck. After alignment, it was squirly. I came back a few days later and complained....mechanic's answer, it's a lifted truck, it's just going to be that way. I said it's worse than before and he shrugged his shoulders.

After getting home, I found out the adjustment arm connecting the steering box to the steering linkage was not tightened (from the alignment) and had a lot of flex/play on every bump. Went back and complained and also pointed out the dangerous driving condition the mechanic left my truck in. Service manager was VERY apologetic and refunded my money...

Since then, I've been OK.

trickskier
11-28-2012, 02:17 PM
The Chevrolet dealer that I deal with here is extremely honest. I took my old Tahoe to them several years ago to have the brakes checked. It had 85K miles on it (Brakes had never been touched) and I pulled my boat with it every weekend. If they had told me that I needed a 4 wheel brake job I woudln't have argued. Instead my service advisor called me back and said that I had 40% left on my pads. I trust them so much that my 87' 300 ZX is being serviced there instead of the Nissan dealer across the street.

Rossterman
11-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Ok... so i've had absolutely horrid experiences with the dealership I go to for my tahoe. First, buying the truck was a complete disaster (should have walked away then), then come to find out my truck doesn’t have the HD towing package (even though they said it did). Now, I get my paperwork back from the oil change I just had (only reason I take it there is they said they offered a lifetime powertrain warranty as long as I took it there for oil changes) and I find that they ‘inspected the spark plugs and found them in poor condition.’ Well, I had them replaced at THEIR FREAKING DEALERSHIP 2 months ago. So I called the service manager and said ‘oh you know that’s just the system looking at your miles and recommending what you need’. Well… don’t freaking say you inspected something, having not really inspected it.

I’m being a complete moron about this lifetime warranty thing? If it turns out to be true, could save me a few grand if my transmission ever decides to blow, but I should probably have a lawyer look at the paperwork and see if I have anything legally enforceable, right?

My recommendation would be to steer clear of that dealership going forward. Some service departments are run unethically and are doing things like this more commonly. I've never heard that you have to take your truck to their shop to maintain the warranty (if fact, most states have laws specifically indicating that you cannont deny warranty if the basic maintenance was performed by a qualified individual). My guess is that they weren't even smart enough to check to see if the plugs looked original and were just trying to sell more work and got caught in a lie. In the end, your likely to find that they will often find things wrong whenever you go in for service there in an attempt to generate revenue. I cringe at the dealerships working on my cars since the quality and experience of the service technicans has gotten so poor at the flat rate compensation models are used everywhere. Techs sit around hoping to get work and only get paid when doing so- Also only get the flat rate amount so typically rush and sometimes cut corners to make up some time and do the next job.

I remember the time I took my truck to an oil change outfit and saw (off to the side of the shop) they were telling someone that their drain plug was loose and they needed a $15 replacement. Funny thing was when I came back they said the same thing to me- even showed a template where they screwed my plug into to show how loose it was. Since I have changed the oil from day 1, I knew it was a scam. Told them to go ahead but wanted to see the new one which he went over and got. I grabbed the template and screwed the new one into the hole and it was as loose as mine was. Then I told him that I had changed oil in my truck and the plug is fine and they were crooks. Needless to say, I watched them finish the work on my car closely to ensure they didnt screw anything up and never went back again.

onewheat
11-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Some service departments are run unethically and are doing things like this more commonly. I've never heard that you have to take your truck to their shop to maintain the warranty (if fact, most states have laws specifically indicating that you cannont deny warranty if the basic maintenance was performed by a qualified individual).

He stated they would give a "Lifetime" Powertrain Warranty if he had his oil changes performed there. I would want to check the details on that. Many dealers will offer that if ALL Scheduled Maintenance is performed there. Their thinking is that they will make enough money on your services to cover what they may have to spend in warranty work. What will then exclude you from that warranty is the deciding factor. If you need an oil change every 5k, for example, and you come in at 5700 miles when you have been doing this for 10 years, did you just cancel your warranty? If they screw you on unneeded maintenance, as well as charging you for all services, they are then offsetting their warranty costs as well. If they deem things to be warranty under their plan, they will pay the technician "Warranty Rate" on time, not "Customer Pay Rate", which costs them less and parts are then at their cost, not retail as well. Chances are their actual costs for extending your Powertrain Warranty will be minimal - offset by what they make on all your services. It isn't a bad deal, if you typically go to a dealer for ALL your service work AND you have all work done on time AND you have a decent dealer AND you keep your vehicle past your vehicle's standard Powertrain Warranty period. On many vehicles any more, this is 100,000miles. Know your stuff and READ the fine print.

aquaman
11-28-2012, 04:04 PM
WillyT.....It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself the dealer is a crook......trust your instincts this time.

Find another dealer. my .02

Ski-me
11-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Is this the oil they are promoting?? Our dealer is doing the same thing and toting warranty on drivetrain components using their stuff. I think it's a warranty with BG Oil vs. the dealer.

BG Synthetic Oil

http://www.bgprod.com/products/engineoil.html

warranty:

http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgprotectionplan.htm

SkiDog
11-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Speaking of Chevrolet's! I've got some Chevy tailgate benches that I build, for sale. Any interest here?

mikeg205
11-28-2012, 06:27 PM
HEy dog how much?

SkiDog
11-28-2012, 06:51 PM
HEy dog how much?

$400 for full size ones and $300 for step sides. Or it can depend on how much I have to pay for a tailgate.

ahhudgins
11-28-2012, 07:44 PM
I'm sure there are some honest car salesmen and mechanics at the dealerships, I just haven't met one yet. We just had another bad experience when we bought my wife's used Ford Fusion from a dealership. The sales "man" was my son's age. Everything went great until we sat down to do the financing (long story). I know he was doing what he was taught, but I politely told him that I wasn't an idiot and I think he appreciated the way I handled it.

I told my wife that the next time I go to a dealership for anything, I'm going to walk up to the guy and immediately punch him in the face and then say "OK, now that I've got that out of the way, we can get started".

onewheat
11-28-2012, 07:56 PM
After working as a wrench in a dealership for 5 years, I would say about 75% of OUR technicians were honest and trustworthy - the other 25% might push for work (brake pads, etc) were due before they really were. Out of our 4 service writers, 2 or 3 of them were pretty good guys. One service desk seemed to have a revolving door and that was also the team that seemed to have the worst techs on it.

Out of all of our sales guys - I thought 1 or 2 of them were pretty honest with me (mostly because I worked on their cars and saved them a lot of $$) but I wouldn't trust the others with my lunch money, much less a car deal. It's always buyer beware.

jgraham37128
11-28-2012, 08:45 PM
It seems like everytime I take a vehicle in for warranty work, they always 'find' something else wrong to fix under warranty - spark plugs one time, etc.

Since the manufacturer pays the dealer for warranty repairs (less $, but still paid), I am guessing the dealers are doing it to increase service department revenue.

BINGO.....

jgraham37128
11-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Bought a new 2010 Mercedes SUV in 2009 over the phone, we worked the price out over the phone and I said I'm on my way to pick it up get it ready. Got there and the price was the exact same they were detailing it. Sat down to pay and I was paying cash and he added a $399.99 DOC fee to it. I explained we said it was this price plus taxes and tags, that's it. He said let me talk to the manager. he came back and said everyone has to pay the $400.00 DOC fee. I explained he was going to have to deduct it from our agreed price. He went back to the manager and said he couldn't. I got up and left, they were still washing the car. i guess he expected me to come back and give in but I didn't. I went to the GMC store and bought a new Denali.

Dealerships are crazy, they will do anything, if they think they can get by with it.

Rossterman
11-28-2012, 09:09 PM
He stated they would give a "Lifetime" Powertrain Warranty if he had his oil changes performed there. I would want to check the details on that. Many dealers will offer that if ALL Scheduled Maintenance is performed there. Their thinking is that they will make enough money on your services to cover what they may have to spend in warranty work. What will then exclude you from that warranty is the deciding factor. If you need an oil change every 5k, for example, and you come in at 5700 miles when you have been doing this for 10 years, did you just cancel your warranty? If they screw you on unneeded maintenance, as well as charging you for all services, they are then offsetting their warranty costs as well. If they deem things to be warranty under their plan, they will pay the technician "Warranty Rate" on time, not "Customer Pay Rate", which costs them less and parts are then at their cost, not retail as well. Chances are their actual costs for extending your Powertrain Warranty will be minimal - offset by what they make on all your services. It isn't a bad deal, if you typically go to a dealer for ALL your service work AND you have all work done on time AND you have a decent dealer AND you keep your vehicle past your vehicle's standard Powertrain Warranty period. On many vehicles any more, this is 100,000miles. Know your stuff and READ the fine print.

Learned something new. Wasn't aware dealerships were offering this. Thought the OP was referring to an extended warranty that he had purchased. If offered for free, make sure you read all the fine print or could not be worth much if they have the right to recind at their descretion...

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
11-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Learned something new. Wasn't aware dealerships were offering this. Thought the OP was referring to an extended warranty that he had purchased. If offered for free, make sure you read all the fine print or could not be worth much if they have the right to recind at their descretion...

It's a BG warranty not a dealership or independent shop warranty and its good at any BG shop. We also do this BG warranty but there is limitations as to whats covered vs. when you first start using the products, ie, you have to use their oil treatment every oil change, do transmission, coolant services on time and can't go over time or milage. I will say that we have had a claim with BG warranty with throttle bodies, the situation a 370Z had a fuel service, fuel injectors and throttle bodies (2) cleaned at an independent shop and this shop destroyed the t- bodies by spraying the bg cleaner in there and manually moved the butterflies messing up the potentiometer, something you don't do on nissan and infiniti. BG brought the car to me and they paid (~$1400) to have the twin throttle bodies replaced and programmed. So yes bg will stand behind the warranty if its a legitimate claim even if a mechanic that doesn't know what hes doing screws up. We have also done a few transmissions from other bg shops. But people try and scam the shops and the warranty though, when they have a known problem and they buy a service then try and use this warranty at a different shop, the customer tries quite often to rip off the shops. But I guess thats not what this thread is about...

Nutter281
11-28-2012, 09:50 PM
After working at a certain mainstream lube shop in high school, I can testify to the tragedies that befall unsuspecting customers who happen to catch techs on a bad day. My very first day on the job, a pissed off tech filled up a car with conventional Penzoil when the customer had paid for fully synthetic just out of spite. Granted, he didn't work there very long after that, the point is that I'm no longer willing to trust anyone touching my vehicles.

My $0.02:

1. While I am a Ford guy, I have found that over the past 2 years, Ford service departments have become 'extraordinarly' sensitive to the random feedback surveys that Ford sends out after a visit. I think Ford has started coming down extremely hard on dealerships and I would expect the others to follow suit. If GM is similar in behavior, I would certainly make sure you mention your intention to fill out the survey up front.

2. Am I the only person who thinks powertrain warranties are a joke? Chrysler was doing million mile (lifetime) powertrain warranties for a while. To offer that, the company must feel pretty confident that those components specifically covered are such ridiculously low failure rate that they can justify the marketing scheme or they are confident they can execute the proper excuse strategy to have your warranty waved by something as trivial as oil change tardiness.

Austin

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
11-28-2012, 10:05 PM
BINGO.....

What if you brought your car in for say, a bad window motor, and the tech notices a TPMS light while looking at your car. You having ignored this light for weeks and think nothing of it. Your saying your wouldn't appreciate a call from the service advisor saying " Mr. ? we replaced your LF window motor and while the technician had your car he noticed a flashing TPMS light and we went ahead and replaced that faulty RR TPMS sensor for you" You wouldn't want them to fix your car? really? The way I look at it, the vehicle should be in like new operating condition for the entire duration of the warranty period.

jafo9
11-28-2012, 10:48 PM
this kind of thing is exactly why i spent some time showing my kids the old and new brake pads last week when i did a 4 wheel brake job on my wifes car. i told them that they may never do their own brakes, but i wanted them to know what a good and bad set of brakes looked like. i've been told more times than i can count that i need new brakes, etc., by mechanics. i've just learned to smile and blow if off.

earlier this year, about a month or so after i had just put on a brand new set of michelin's on my wifes car, a mechanic at a shop that also sells tires started to tell her how she needed a new set of tires. kinda funny, my wife cut him off mid-sentence and told him not to even try to tell her she needs new tires.

onewheat
11-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Honda is also very sensitive to surveys. The Dealership has Mfg awards that are partially based on surveys. The Service Writer's pay is partially based on surveys. Surveys are a big deal and less than perfect isn't good enough. They want problems taken care of the first time and before you leave the shop.

Misc warranty repairs aren't the norm either, unless it is an obvious problem noticed when the car is brought in. Typically warranty work doesn't pay the tech enough to do the repair unnecessarily. Warranty work is typically not a money maker for techs.

CantRepeat
11-29-2012, 06:54 AM
Eddie, nice work on the benches.

To the OP, all I can say is Bill Heard was the dealer around here until... well you know. I thought it was the worst until we got Legacy Chevy in after him. They are all thieves!

SkiDog
11-29-2012, 07:31 AM
Eddie, nice work on the benches.

To the OP, all I can say is Bill Heard was the dealer around here until... well you know. I thought it was the worst until we got Legacy Chevy in after him. They are all thieves!

Thanks Timmy!

willyt
11-29-2012, 09:13 AM
technology will be their undoing. I was driving home last night and just decided to press the onstar button, they forwarded me to chevy customer care and lodged a complaint against the dealer, for this case and for my missing aux tranny cooler i was TOLD the truck had when i bought it, which it doesn't. Done with these crooks...

jkski - may take you up on that offer, just to find an honest dealer around here.

jkski
11-29-2012, 09:59 AM
technology will be their undoing. I was driving home last night and just decided to press the onstar button, they forwarded me to chevy customer care and lodged a complaint against the dealer, for this case and for my missing aux tranny cooler i was TOLD the truck had when i bought it, which it doesn't. Done with these crooks...

jkski - may take you up on that offer, just to find an honest dealer around here.

Willy,
They are located in Akron, so a bit of a drive but if you choose to make the trek we will grab a beer and hang out while your truck gets fxed and you are welcome to stay at my house if it takes a couple of days, granted Josh may use you as a human jungle gym!!!

milkmania
11-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Speaking of Chevrolet's! I've got some Chevy tailgate benches that I build, for sale. Any interest here?

hate to jack the thread with a FORD tailgate..... but you started it8p

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/3442068512.html

http://images.craigslist.org/3Gb3L13Je5Nc5Gb5S4cbsdb45128d8bd01135.jpghttp://images.craigslist.org/3Ld3I13ob5E85K25Ffcbse6dd731ab70d1633.jpg

mustangtexas
11-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Post the last 8 digits of your VIN plus the first 3 and I will look up your build sheet to see what options your unit had from the plant.

willyt
11-29-2012, 01:44 PM
first 3:
1GN
last 8:
7R188315

mustangtexas
11-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Here is your Build Sheet.

193 - EBONY 19I - EBONY
1LZ - TAHOE LTZ EQUIPMENT GROUP: * FRONT LEATHER APPOINTED BUCKET SEATS * DRIVER SIDE SEAT W/12-WAY POWER, HEAT & MEMORY * PASSENGER SIDE SEAT W/12-WAY POWER & HEAT * 2ND ROW LEATHER APPOINTED SEATS * 2ND ROW HEATED SEATS * 2ND ROW SEAT POWER RELEASE * 2-PASSENGER, 3RD ROW SEAT * POWER ADJUSTABLE PEDALS * REMOTE VEHICLE STARTER * AM/FM STEREO WITH MP3 COMPATIBLE 6-DISC CD CHANGER (REPLACES STD RADIO) * HEAD CURTAIN SIDE AIR BAGS, ALL SEATING ROWS * BOSE PREMIUM SPEAKER SYSTEM * XM SATELLITE RADIO - SERVICE FEE EXTRA. 1ST 3 MONTHS INCL. * POWER LIFTGATE WITH LIFTGLASS * LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL * AUTORIDE SUSPENSION PACKAGE * 20" POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS * HEATED WASHER FLUID SYSTEM * RAIN SENSING WIPERS * UNIVERSAL HOME REMOTE * TRI-ZONE AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING * REAR PARKING ASSIST * OUTSIDE POWER FOLDING MIRRORS W/AUTO DIMMING & TURN SIGNALS 1SZ - OPTION PKG DISCOUNT
41U - BLACK 6LP - COMP FRT LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP
7LP - COMP FRT RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP A31 - POWER WINDOWS
AG1 - POWER DRIVER SEAT AG2 - 10-WAY POWER PASSENGER SEAT
AJ1 - DEEP TINTED GLASS AL0 - SENSOR INDICATOR INFLATABLE RESTRAINT FRT PASS
AM8 - REAR BENCH SEAT AN3 - FULL FEATURE BUCKET SEATS
AP3 - REMOTE START ARL - PLANT CODE-ARLINGTON, TX
ARS - 2ND ROW SEAT POWER RELEASE ASF - HEAD CURTAIN SIDE AIR BAGS, ALL SEATING ROWS
AU3 - POWER DOOR LOCK SYSTEM AW2 - 2-PASSENGER, 3RD ROW SEAT
AXP - MPV VIN IDENT POSITION B30 - CARPETING, COLOR-KEYED
B58 - COLOR-KEYED FLOOR MATS, CARPETED B85 - BODY SIDE MOLDING
BVE - ASSIST STEPS C25 - REAR WINDOW WIPER & WASHER
C36 - REAR HEATER C49 - ELECTRIC REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER
C69 - AIR CONDITIONING -FRONT & REAR C6A - GVW RATING - 7,300 LBS
CE1 - RAIN SENSING WIPERS CJ2 - DUAL-ZONE AUTO AIR CONDITIONING
D07 - CUSTOM FRONT FLOOR CONSOLE DF5 - ISRV MIRROR W/COMPASS & TEMP
DH6 - LIGHTED VISOR/VANITY MIRRORS DK8 - DELUXE OVERHEAD CONSOLE
DL3 - OSRV MIRROR W/DRIVER SIDE AUTO DIMMING, PWR FOLD & ADJ, HEAT, TURN SIGNAL (REPLACES STD/PKG MIRROR) E52 - LIFTGATE/LIFTGLASS
E61 - POWER LIFTGATE WITH LIFTGLASS EVA - EVAP EMISSION REQUIREMENT
FE9 - FEDERAL EMISSIONS G69 - LEVEL CONTROL AUTO, AIR, HD
G80 - LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL GT4 - REAR AXLE - 3.73 RATIO
JD9 - BRAKES, 17" DISC/DISC JF4 - POWER ADJUSTABLE PEDALS
K05 - ENGINE BLOCK HEATER K34 - CRUISE CONTROL
KA6 - 2ND ROW HEATED SEATS KUP - THROTTLE CONTROL ELECTRONIC
KW1 - 160 AMP ALTERNATOR LMG - VORTEC 5.3L V8 SFI FLEX FUEL W/ ACTIVE FUEL MGT TECHNOLOGY
M30 - 4-SPD AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION NP5 - LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL
NP8 - AUTOTRAC ACTIVE TRANSFER CASE NT8 - EMISSION SYSTEM FEDERAL, TIER
NZ4 - FULL SIZE SPARE WHEEL QSS - P275/55R20 BW RADIAL TIRES
R6P - PREMIUM PAINT R6S - PREFERED PACKAGE DISCOUNT
R9N - PROCESSING OPTION ONLY LEATHER SEAT TRIM R9U - GM ACCESS - AUTOBOOK IDENTIFIER
RCS - 20" POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS SAF - SPARE TIRE LOCK
SLM - STOCK ORDERS SLT - EQUIP CHEV 'LT' SALES PKG
T74 - HEADLAMPS T96 - FOG LAMPS
TL1 - GRILLE U2K - XM SATELLITE RADIO - SERVICE FEE EXTRA. 1ST 3 MONTHS INCL.
U84 - ANTENNA UD7 - REAR PARKING ASSIST
UE1 - ONSTAR SERVICE: INCLUDES 1 YEAR SAFE & SOUND PLAN UG1 - UNIVERSAL HOME REMOTE
UJ6 - TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR UK3 - STEERING WHEEL RADIO CONTROLS
UK6 - REAR SEAT AUDIO CONTROLS UQA - BOSE PREMIUM SPEAKER SYSTEM
US9 - AM/FM STEREO W/MP3 COMPATIBLE 6-DISC CD CHANGER (REPLACES STD/OPT RADIO) V1K - LUGGAGE RACK - CROSS BARS
V54 - LUGGAGE RACK - SIDE RAILS V73 - STATEMENT OF VEHICLE CERT.-U.S. /CANADA
V76 - RECOVERY HOOKS VGD - BODY COLOR FRONT FACIA
VGE - BODY COLOR REAR FACIA VGK - LTZ ORNAMENTATION
VK3 - FRONT LICENSE PLATE MOUNT VR4 - WEIGHT DISTRIB. PLATFORM HITCH
VXS - COMPLETE VEHICLE LABEL X88 - CHEVROLET CONVERSION
XA7 - HEATED WASHER FLUID SYSTEM YD3 - BASE AXLE
YD5 - BASE FRONT SPRING YD6 - BASE REAR SPRING
YE9 - LS TRIM Z55 - AUTORIDE SUSPENSION
ZVL - SPARE TIRE, P265/70R17 ALS BW ZY1 - SOLID PAINT

Built 05/08/2006 Arlington, Texas Plant

mustangtexas
11-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Another item of thought. All Tahoe's come with a receiver hitch. Sales people think by having the receiver hitch the Tahoe has the Heavy Duty Towing Package which gives you the additional coolers. You would need the option K5L for the Heavy Duty part.

CruisinGA
11-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Question-

It says "locking rear differential." Is this a true locking diff?

mustangtexas
11-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Yes it is.

willyt
11-29-2012, 03:38 PM
So no tow package

willyt
11-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Another item of thought. All Tahoe's come with a receiver hitch. Sales people think by having the receiver hitch the Tahoe has the Heavy Duty Towing Package which gives you the additional coolers. You would need the option K5L for the Heavy Duty part.

Yea I think that's what he was telling me. I didnt know enough about tahoe's at the time to know that wasn't right. At best it was incompitence, at worst it's deception

mustangtexas
11-29-2012, 03:53 PM
You have the tow package but not the "Heavy Duty Tow Package" so no coolers.You have a good pulling unit with the 3.73 rear axle and the locking rear differential. The only drawback would be towing near capacity in super hot weather up and down hills for a long distance. Heat can be a tricky thing if the conditions are right, or wrong depending on view. I didn't read what boat you have but the tow capacity for your Tahoe is about 5,200lbs.

Ski-me
11-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Is this an 06' or 07' model? Don't the 07's have a toggle in the dash to display the trans temp? I was driving my sister's 08' suburban a few days ago and noticed it..... My 04' 3/4 has a separate gauge.

Heck, my dad tows his 4 horse trailer with his 07' tahoe with 3.42's. I'm sure he is now beyond 100k on that thing.

Ski-me
11-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Question-

It says "locking rear differential." Is this a true locking diff?

Is it "truely" a locking or a variation? G80 locker is often refered to as a "Gov-loc bomb".....

willyt
11-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Where do you come up with the 5,200 number? I'm beyond that, I have an 07 xstar... 5,400 dry with trailer, prob closer to 6k real world, the Tahoe is an 07

Forrest-X45
11-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Is it "truely" a locking or a variation? G80 locker is often refered to as a "Gov-loc bomb".....

The G80 option is a true locking diff. The locking diff is made by Eaton and it works great. I have it in my truck and trust me, it works. There is a solid clunk when it engages. I think the pre GMT-800 trucks (pre 2001) with the G80 option were the crappy gov-loc units.

Footin
11-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Willy,

I am not sure what dealer in Columbus gave you trouble, but I have gone to the one in Worthington a few times and been very happy.

mustangtexas
11-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Where do you come up with the 5,200 number? I'm beyond that, I have an 07 xstar... 5,400 dry with trailer, prob closer to 6k real world, the Tahoe is an 07

I should have been more specific. The gross trailer rating for the Tahoe is 8,600lbs. for a base vehicle. You will then subtract, driver, passengers, cargo (1,758 pay load), fuel and option content (yours is an LTZ). The net could be quite a bit more than the 5,200lbs. but the GM guide shows amount with all the subtractions. Hope this helps.

TRBenj
11-29-2012, 06:09 PM
I should have been more specific. The gross trailer rating for the Tahoe is 8,600lbs. for a base vehicle. You will then subtract, driver, passengers, cargo (1,758 pay load), fuel and option content (yours is an LTZ). The net could be quite a bit more than the 5,200lbs. but the GM guide shows amount with all the subtractions. Hope this helps.
The tow rating does not necessarily need to be adjusted for the weight of the vehicle or the load its carrying.

I believe what youre suggesting is to do a sanity check- take the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) of the vehicle and subtract the weight of the truck, and the load its carrying (gear, passengers, etc). Compare that to the advertised tow capacity and whichever is lower is your actual tow capacity. If you want the worst case scenario, then subtract the GVWR from the GCWR and you'll see what's left for towing capacity if the truck is loaded to its limit.

Looks like the '13 tahoe 4wd has a GCWR of 14,000 lbs and a curb weight of ~5700. That would net you 8300 lbs... so its above the 8200 lb tow rating. Assume a worst case load in the truck (GVWR = 7300) and youre left with 6700 lb tow capacity. (No idea how different, if any, the '07 and '13 trucks are rated). The earliest I could find official specs on was 2009:

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/trailering-guide/all-vehicles/vehicle/overview?vehicleId=1577

Looks like the lack of the K5L towing package drops both GCWR and the Tow Capacity ratings 2500 lbs (14k vs 11.5k and 8200 vs. 5700).