PDA

View Full Version : Striaght fitting verus elbow fitting?

Dino Don
11-28-2012, 10:59 AM
My 87 190 w/351 eng has a striaght fitting for the hoses coming from the frt of the engine to each exhaust manifold. Anyone know if replacing that with a 90 degree elbow fitting, which would make running replacement hoses much simpler it would seem, if that would cause any issues as to flow to the manifolds etc.? Thanks for any thoughts----

thatsmrmastercraft
11-28-2012, 11:05 AM
There should be no problem as long as the elbow if formed so that it is not a restriction.

JimN
11-28-2012, 11:11 AM
My 87 190 w/351 eng has a striaght fitting for the hoses coming from the frt of the engine to each exhaust manifold. Anyone know if replacing that with a 90 degree elbow fitting, which would make running replacement hoses much simpler it would seem, if that would cause any issues as to flow to the manifolds etc.? Thanks for any thoughts----

As long as the flow rate isn't extreme, using a rt angle shouldn't be a problem and if you can make smooth hose bends instead of rt angle, it won't kink. If you need, 45 degree fittings should be easy enough to find, too.

Cloaked
11-28-2012, 06:38 PM
My 87 190 w/351 eng has a striaght fitting for the hoses coming from the frt of the engine to each exhaust manifold. Anyone know if replacing that with a 90 degree elbow fitting, which would make running replacement hoses much simpler it would seem, if that would cause any issues as to flow to the manifolds etc.? Thanks for any thoughts----Do it. Many of the older engines came with a brass 90 deg fitting. I always convert over from the plastic / straight to the brass 90s if the engine needs it.

Dino Don
11-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks think I'll look for 45's and then if not there use 90's.