PDA

View Full Version : 96 Prostar 190 fogging question

Juiced190
11-19-2012, 10:14 PM
I recently purchased a 96 Prostar 190 with chevy/indmar 350 TBFI. After winterizing my 91 Prostar 190 with 351 for 4 seasons now, I plan to use the same procedure for the 96. My only question is, is it ok to pour marvel mystery oil directly into the throttle body fuel injection system like I do the Holley carb on my 91? This is obviously for fogging the cylinders.

mikeg205
11-20-2012, 08:22 AM
You can fog any wet intake in this manner. I have the '95 TBI and fog this way.

Juiced190
11-20-2012, 09:52 AM
You can fog any wet intake in this manner. I have the '95 TBI and fog this way.

Thanks Mike, how much Marvel do you use in your TBI? One other question, my owners manual recommends 20-50 racing oil. What oil do you use? Thx

mikeg205
11-20-2012, 10:36 AM
regarding marvel - I run a few ounces whiles its running till it almost dies...and then I shut it off. I use valvoline synthetic VR-1 plus 20w50 a bottle of Hy-Per Lube Zinc Replacement additive. I personally like the synthetic base oil stock because they stand up better to heat - just in case I suck something up my raw water intake and have an overheat situation. I add the Hy-per lube zinc replacement cuz of my MCOCD. It's a lubricant that was developed for C&C machines and has proven wear reduction properties. That plus the high zinc prosperous content of the VR-1 calms my OCD over having and older flat tappet engine.

Juiced190
11-20-2012, 10:53 AM
regarding marvel - I run a few ounces whiles its running till it almost dies...and then I shut it off. I use valvoline synthetic VR-1 plus 20w50 a bottle of Hy-Per Lube Zinc Replacement additive. I personally like the synthetic base oil stock because they stand up better to heat - just in case I suck something up my raw water intake and have an overheat situation. I add the Hy-per lube zinc replacement cuz of my MCOCD. It's a lubricant that was developed for C&C machines and has proven wear reduction properties. That plus the high zinc prosperous content of the VR-1 calms my OCD over having and older flat tappet engine.

Mike, great info and very precise. What transmission fluid do you use? I have the Hurth 1:1. Thanks again!

east tx skier
11-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Current incarnation of Dex/Merc will be fine. Listed volume is 1.75 quarts. However, you should measure how much fluid you remove and only add back that much.

mikeg205
11-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Hey Juiced - I used Castol Transmax Dexron VI. It's a dino/synth blend. going to go to a 100% synth next season like Mobil 1 ATF. +1 on the volume requirements from EastTX

Juiced190
11-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Current incarnation of Dex/Merc will be fine. Listed volume is 1.75 quarts. However, you should measure how much fluid you remove and only add back that much.

Thanks East and Mike. My owners manual says Dexron II, but I just wondered if anything had changed. Any recommendations on transmission fluid for 91 Prostar 190 with Velvet drive 1:1? It can be confusing keeping up with the latest recommendations. I really appreciated the knowledgable advice found here.

east tx skier
11-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Dex/Merc on the 91 as well. I can't remember where I read it, but I seem to recall Synth being a no-no on the transmission fluid. Frankly, I don't bother with it in the engine oil department either. I run the VR-1 20W50 Dino and have for several years now.

mikeg205
11-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Dex/Merc on the 91 as well. I can't remember where I read it, but I seem to recall Synth being a no-no on the transmission fluid. Frankly, I don't bother with it in the engine oil department either. I run the VR-1 20W50 Dino and have for several years now.

I read the same on some transmissions that the synth is too slippery....but can't find the article anymore...Mobil 1 Synth is approved where Dexron IIIx applications are indicated. The same is listed for Royal Purple Max ATF. I personaly like prefer that synthetic base stocks for both crank case applications and transmission applications have better oxidation properties and heat/load properties. Just my personal preference....

Now I will have to go find that article EastTX... :)

mikeg205
11-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Here's something I found East...

http://www.thelubepage.com/learn/lube-notes/9-automatic-transmission-fluid

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

Going to keep on looking - but IMO synth atf is ok...but I have been wrong many times before...

east tx skier
11-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Here's something I found East...

http://www.thelubepage.com/learn/lube-notes/9-automatic-transmission-fluid

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

Going to keep on looking - but IMO synth atf is ok...but I have been wrong many times before...

All I know is that I trust the older guard on correctcraftfan and have read there at least once from a trusted source not to use synthetic ATF. I don't need an excuse to spend less money. As far as the engine oil goes, synthetic is fine as long as you don't increase your service intervals as a result. I spend enough money getting the VR1 oil. I have no desire to spend double that amount to get synthetic VR1. My engines run extremely well on conventional oil.

But, it goes without saying, it's your boat to do with as you please.

mikeg205
11-21-2012, 04:11 PM
All I know is that I trust the older guard on correctcraftfan and have read there at least once from a trusted source not to use synthetic ATF. I don't need an excuse to spend less money. As far as the engine oil goes, synthetic is fine as long as you don't increase your service intervals as a result. I spend enough money getting the VR1 oil. I have no desire to spend double that amount to get synthetic VR1. My engines run extremely well on conventional oil.

But, it goes without saying, it's your boat to do with as you please.

That's what I like about this forum - we can agree to disagree and have a great discussion... :)