PDA

View Full Version : Power Boat questions on a MC forum

Kyle
11-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Ok I'm considering buying a Fountain. I like the deep v hull and have always liked the styling. Some key items. I have an '09 F150 KR 4x4 so towing may be an issue. After relocating the boat my tow would generally be 5 miles to any of the local 2 lakes.

I ski in a ski club and rarely use my boat at the club. Most of the time I'm on public water with my boat and I want something a little more comfortable and faster. (No Hulligan jokes please)

Do I wait a little longer and just buy the fountain or sell my boat and wait less and have fun sooner.

I would be interested in the 27' with single engine blown, 29' with a big single blown or twins non blown where later I can SC them later, '32 or '35 with twin 502 mag non blown so I can add SC's later.

Towing is a concern. On the OSO forum 29 and 32 are pulled w a 1/2 truck. Ive seen 35's pulled with escalades so I know it will tow. Stopping is a huge concern. I would be doing the electric over hydraulic braking system and the truck already has the brake controller.

Enjoyable is another concern. I'm kind of scared with it being like a jet ski. Fun for a few hours and stupid after that.

I'm not worried on fixing it. I can fix anything.

I just need some guidance.

Thanks guys

TxsRiverRat
11-19-2012, 01:34 PM
You canít do any watersports behind it. You cant sleep on it comfortably. You cant do anything other than haul *** across the lake or anchor with a bunch of other losers at the tie up. Welcome to the loserville redneck yacht club.

Just like I own several different guns for hunting purposes, Iíd want to own different boats for different purposes... If you want to waste your money on buying a boat to impress the girls and the neighbors, thatís your choice, but poersonally, I see fountains and similar boats as a sign of douchebaggery... The bigger the gun boat, the bigger the douchebag Ė just like when I see a Porsche.

Kyle
11-19-2012, 01:50 PM
One could say that my stereo being so extreme is douchbaggery. Especially when a new MC shows up with 4-6 tower speakers and they can't even hear their tunes while swimming behind their boat.

I prefer opinions from folks who have owned a power boat or own both a wake/ski and a power boat

mzimme
11-19-2012, 01:53 PM
This deserves to be here. Is this your future Kyle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77E8H6QkDvg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

Kyle
11-19-2012, 02:02 PM
If that is where the guy spins out a '38 lightning then I have seen it already. First off that is not how you drive a fountain it any sport boat. Hauling ars is one thing but it needs to be trimmed correctly and the tabs set correctly.

I've built several engines for power boats. The last one was a 572 blown 12# boost right at 980 HP and I drove it 103 GPS confirmed after we locked up 2 trannys and and tested several props.

Single engine in 27' boat

mzimme
11-19-2012, 02:04 PM
If that is where the guy spins out a '38 lightning then I have seen it already. First off that is not how you drive a fountain it any sport boat. Hauling ars is one thing but it needs to be trimmed correctly and the tabs set correctly.

I've built several engines for power boats. The last one was a 572 blown 12# boost right at 980 HP and I drove it 103 GPS confirmed after we locked up 2 trannys and and tested several props.

Single engine in 27' boat

I'm just giving you chit. If a powerboat was in my future, it'd probably be a Fountain or Eliminator.

rodltg2
11-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Sodar should be along shortly !

Sodar
11-19-2012, 02:34 PM
First off, to anyone that says the fast stuff is lame... just walk away and go play elsewhere.

Second, towing with an F-150 is not a real problem. My buddy tows his 29' Scarab with a '12 F-150 with no problem. Like you said, Hydro over electric is essential and SOOO nice. If I had the money and desire to install a system like that on the MC, I would.

Third, Why a fountain? You like the beak? Where you planning on running? Any salt bath or just bigger lakes? If you run the big blue, twins is always comforting, but if not, a single and a tow membership is the way to go. Single= lighter, 1/2 the maintenance and in most cases faster (depending on power).

bturner2
11-19-2012, 03:24 PM
I personally have had my go fasts and while I still like taking a ride whenever the opportunity exists the value proposition just isn't there for me any longer. Small interiors, high gas prices and a family made it impractical for me. The speed runs were great but after that I was left with a boat that was very one dimensional. If it's something you feel strongly about do it now before our government either makes them all but illegal or taxes them out of existence.

My buddies all switched to bigger powerboats over the years and have been very happy with them. They're not the extreme go fasts but no slouch either. One has a 28 Formula PC with twin 4.6 V6s and the other a single screw 350 chevy in a 26' Donzi. Between the two I really like the Formula. It moves very well, you can be very comfortably overnighting and it's great for a long day on the water. His wife absolutely loves that boat. I have to admit if I didn't ski as much as I do or had an alternative plan for doing so I'd have a boat like that formula.

Kyle
11-19-2012, 05:34 PM
First off, to anyone that says the fast stuff is lame... just walk away and go play elsewhere.

Second, towing with an F-150 is not a real problem. My buddy tows his 29' Scarab with a '12 F-150 with no problem. Like you said, Hydro over electric is essential and SOOO nice. If I had the money and desire to install a system like that on the MC, I would.

Third, Why a fountain? You like the beak? Where you planning on running? Any salt bath or just bigger lakes? If you run the big blue, twins is always comforting, but if not, a single and a tow membership is the way to go. Single= lighter, 1/2 the maintenance and in most cases faster (depending on power).

I'm in love with the Fountain just due to style and the beak. Everyone knows the beak and knows it is a fountain.

I know that there are faster hulls out there such as a Cat hull but I also like the bed idea and the couches, fridge, sink combo.

The boat that I went 100+ was a firehawk

Single engine Ran 572ci bbc dart block, Merlin heads and a weiand SC with dominator twin carbs.
Borg Warner tranny
Arneson surface drive out drive
Cleaver style prop

I just don't like the the wasted bow space in the Cat boats.

HMF007
11-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Get a fountain. A buddy of mine has a 32' and I wouldn't go any smaller. Big enough to handle the water but still requires a good driver at WOT. The perfect boat IMO is a 35' with staggered 525s. 100+ mph all day with no problems. I'm not a fan of the single engine but I haven't been in one either.

Kyle
11-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Get a fountain. A buddy of mine has a 32' and I wouldn't go any smaller. Big enough to handle the water but still requires a good driver at WOT. The perfect boat IMO is a 35' with staggered 525s. 100+ mph all day with no problems. I'm not a fan of the single engine but I haven't been in one either.

You are thinking like I am.

I want the 35' and I know I can buy a real nice one for around 55k. I would love staggered but affordability I probably will have the standard side by side. 32's are about the same price but not as demanding as far as resale.

I'm thinking procharger on factory 502 mags that will run 90 all day. Get in around 55k and have the single step hull.

SkiDog
11-19-2012, 06:49 PM
In talking to your girlfriend the other day, she said that the reason you wanted a boat like that was you were trying to make up for some shortcomings. Idunno. :uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

Kyle
11-19-2012, 07:31 PM
In talking to your girlfriend the other day, she said that the reason you wanted a boat like that was you were trying to make up for some shortcomings. Idunno. :uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

You must have been talking to my angry ex who wants me back and I want nothing to do with her......

Be a nice puppy or I will not be sharing any new gf pics on DS :)

SkiDog
11-19-2012, 07:50 PM
You must have been talking to my angry ex who wants me back and I want nothing to do with her......

Be a nice puppy or I will not be sharing any new gf pics on DS :)

Get on it!!!!!!!!!!!

Kyle
11-19-2012, 07:57 PM
The perfect boat IMO is a 35' with staggered 525s. 100+ mph all day with no problems.

I think the 525's are a blown 454 running 5# of boost.

I'm thinking the 502's with prochargers or whipples would be just fine. Run 5-7# boost change from 1.5 to 1.36 b1 or XR drives and some lab props and I should have an efficient 90+ boat.

I mainly want a reliable boat not necessarily the fastest. Fast means maintenance and lots of $$$$$$.

I'm planning on speaking to a friend with a 35 about how hard maintenance is with standard side by sides. I'm sure there is just tons of room and everything is accessible. Lol

Main purpose is to have a hot rod. I'm no way responsible enough to have a sports car. My ex has a 2012 camaro SS and I drove it over 150. I used to have a ws6 and I had it 180+.

I want a safe toy and a car will not be safe for me. The same goes for a street bike. Have been well over 130 on a Ducati and don't know when I shut it down. I quit watching speedo at 130 and my bike experience is let's say non existent. Rode a few dirt bikes then rode a friends Honda cruiser for a few times and tried a Ducati out because it seemed cool.

A cool boat that runs 90 will be fun and keep me alive. My fear is like I mentioned above. Will it become ghey after about 2 trips out like a jet ski would. Fast for a while and then sitting there doing nothing doesn't seem like loads of fun after a while.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
11-19-2012, 08:15 PM

I'm thinking the 502's with prochargers or whipples would be just fine. Run 5-7# boost change from 1.5 to 1.36 b1 or XR drives and some lab props and I should have an efficient 90+ boat.

I mainly want a reliable boat not necessarily the fastest. Fast means maintenance and lots of $$$$$$.

I'm planning on speaking to a friend with a 35 about how hard maintenance is with standard side by sides. I'm sure there is just tons of room and everything is accessible. Lol

Main purpose is to have a hot rod. I'm no way responsible enough to have a sports car. My ex has a 2012 camaro SS and I drove it over 150. I used to have a ws6 and I had it 180+.

I want a safe toy and a car will not be safe for me. The same goes for a street bike. Have been well over 130 on a Ducati and don't know when I shut it down. I quit watching speedo at 130 and my bike experience is let's say non existent. Rode a few dirt bikes then rode a friends Honda cruiser for a few times and tried a Ducati out because it seemed cool.

A cool boat that runs 90 will be fun and keep me alive. My fear is like I mentioned above. Will it become ghey after about 2 trips out like a jet ski would. Fast for a while and then sitting there doing nothing doesn't seem like loads of fun after a while.

I would say do it, my boss has several boats all depending on his mood, 42 (maybe a 38) fountain twin BBC, some kind of 38ft maybe longer cataraman thats turbine powered (his bad boy), he uses the fountain mostly at lake travis, the cat and fountain he uses for his poker runs out of key west, mastercrafts and nautiques. Of course he is a multimillionaire and has lots of toys other than boats...

mikeg205
11-19-2012, 08:24 PM
looks like fun... better hurry 12-21 comin' soon. ;) As for river rat you could start ski racing... ;)

jeff shelton
11-19-2012, 08:29 PM
http://jacksontn.craigslist.org/boa/3375928662.html

Found this while searching for a youth atv. I think it should work but 15yrs old and 80K. I think you will need a bigger truck.

milkmania
11-19-2012, 08:47 PM
http://jacksontn.craigslist.org/boa/3375928662.html

Found this while searching for a youth atv. I think it should work but 15yrs old and 80K. I think you will need a bigger truck.

I think I just figured out how a douchebag writes a description:rolleyes:

ALL CAPS AND ONE PARAGRAPH:mad:

I HAVE DECIDED TO SELL ONE OF MY TOYS. WITH THREE BOATS IN THE STABLE AND A NEWBORN ON THE WAY, I HAVE DECIDED TO CUT THIS ONE FROM THE HERD. THIS BOAT HAS BEEN WELL CARED FOR. I HAVE ONLY OWNED IT FOR ONE SEASON. SHE HAS ONLY BEEN IN FRESH WATER HER ENTIRE LIFE. AS FAR AS I KNOW, I AM THE THIRD OWNER. THE BOAT WAS PREVIOUSLY OWNED BY A.T.I. ALSO KNOW AS PROCHARGER MARINE. THIS WAS THE COVER STORY IN HOT BOAT MAGAZINE AUG. 2000. I WAS TOLD BY PROCHARGER THAT AT THE TIME IT WAS TESTED BY HOT BOAT AT LAKE HAVASU, THAT IT WAS CONSIDERED TO BE THE FASTEST TWIN ENGINE DEEP V ON PUMP GAS IN THE COUNTRY! I WILL INCLUDE A COPY OF THE MAGAZINE WITH THE SALE. THIS BOAT WAS BUILT FOR RELIABILITY, AND HAS HELD TOGETHER GREAT. THE MAGAZINE COVERS THIS IN GREAT DETAIL. THERE WAS PLENTY MORE POWER TO BE HAD, BUT THE OWNERS WANTED RELIABILITY. THERE HAS BEEN LITTLE WORK DONE ON IT IN THE 261 HRS CURRENTLY SHOWING. I PUT ABOUT 20 ON IT MYSELF ON THE TENNESSEE RIVER, AND THE PREVIOUS OWNER TOLD ME HE PUT ABOUT 15 ON IT THE THREE YEARS HE OWNED IT, AND USED IT IN KANSAS AND ON LAKE OF THE OZARKS. WHEN IT WAS IN THE MAGAZINE, IT TESTED AT 109 MPH ON RADAR. THE ENGINES STARTED LIFE AS 500 HP'S, AND WERE MODIFIED AT SOME POINT EARLY ON. THEY DYNO'D AT 580 HP PRIOR TO ADDING THE M-4 PROCHARGERS AND INTERCOOLERS. AFTER THIS ADDITION, THE DYNO SHOWED 1045 HP AT 6000 RPM'S. THIS INFORMATION STILL APPEARS ON PROCHARGER'S WEBSITE UNDER MARINE TEST RESULTS, AND WAS DOCUMENTED BY HOT BOAT MAGAZINE IN THE ARTICLE. THE CUSTOM MACHINE WORK DONE ON THIS BOAT IS INCREDIBLE. AT THE TIME THE BOAT RAN 109 MPH, IT WAS RUNNING 28P PROPS, AND WAS MAKING 10 ILBS OF BOOST AT 6000 RPMS. TODAY SHE RUNS ON 32P PROPS FOR A MODEST AND SAFE 5100 RPMS PRODUCING AROUND 6 ILBS OF BOOST. THE SPEEDS ARE IN THE LOW TO MID 90 MPH RANGE. THIS MACHINE WILL EFFORTLESSLY CRUISE AT 75 WHILE YOU LISTEN TO YOUR FAVORITE MUSIC, AND IS SO SMOOTH AND QUIET, YOU WILL BE SIPPING YOUR FAVORITE BEVERAGE IN 3' CHOP. NOTHING RIDES AND PERFORMS LIKE A FOUNTAIN TWIN STEP HULL. THEIR COLLECTION OF WORLD RECORDS WILL ATTEST TO THAT! SHE RUNS ON 93 OCTANE PUMP GAS WITH NO PROBLEM. THE ENGINES IDLE AT 700 RPM'S, AND ARE READY TO GO WITH NO HESITATION. THE PREVIOUS OWNER STATED THAT THE ENGINES WERE REBUILT PRIOR TO HIS PURCHASE. HE BOUGHT IT WITH ZERO HRS ON THEM AND NEW XR DRIVES. THE BOAT HAS BEEN STORED INSIDE, AND IT SHOWS. THE INTERIOR IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION. I'D CALL IT A 9 OUT OF 10. NOTHING NEEDS TO BE REDONE ANY TIME SOON. THE CABIN SHOWS VERY LITTLE USE. THE EXTERIOR OF THE BOAT IS IN GREAT SHAPE ALSO. THERE ARE NO DINGS, CHIPS, OR SCRATCHES. SHE WAS ORIGINALLY AN ALL WHITE BOAT. THE GRAPHICS ARE VINYL AND COULD EASILY BE CHANGED. THERE ARE ONLY A COUPLE VERY SMALL SPOTS WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN RUBBED. ALL OF THE GAUGES FUNCTION PROPERLY EXCEPT THE SPEEDO (WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED?), THE OIL TEMP, AND WATER PRESSURE GAUGES. IT APPEARS THAT THE OIL TEMP AND WATER PRESSURE GAUGES HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED WHEN THE INTERCOOLERS WERE ADDED. THE WATER OUTLETS ARE ON THE STARBOARD SIDE OF THE BOAT, AND CAN BE SEEN WHILE SITTING IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT. SO, WATER PRESSURE IS NEVER IN QUESTION. THE BOAT IS EQUIPPED WITH HYDRAULIC POWER BOLSTERS, FRESH WATER SYSTEM, POTTY, TRIM TABS, COCKPIT COVER, HIGH SPEED DIGITAL COMPASS, POWER HATCH, AND IF THIS ISN'T ENOUGH A ROCKIN' STEREO SYSTEM WITH I-POD HOOK UP. THE SYSTEM IS ALL JL AUDIO MARINE SPEAKERS, SUBS, AND AMP. THE BOAT WAS LAST RUN OCTOBER 27TH WITH NO PROBLEM. THE PICTURE OF THE ROOSTER TAIL IS FROM THAT DAY. THE PICTURES OF THE DECK AREA MAY LOOK LIKE THE GRAPHICS ARE FADED, BUT THEY ARE VIBRANT AND SHINY. THERE WAS FROST ON THE BOAT WHEN THE PICS WERE TAKEN THIS MORNING. THE TRAILER IS INCLUDED. THE TRAILER FUNCTIONS WELL. IT TOWS GREAT, BUT NEEDS SOME PAINT AND NEW CARPET. THE BREAKS ARE INOPERABLE. MY CHEVROLET 2500 HAS NO PROBLEM STOPPING IT. THE TIRES ARE IN GOOD CONDITION. WHEN WE USE HER, I HAVE TO TRAILER THE BOAT ABOUT 140 MILES ROUND TRIP. I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. KEEP IN MIND, THAT THIS IS NOT A NEW BOAT, AND TIME ALONE DOES TAKE A TOLL. IT IS HOWEVER, IN GREAT CONDITION, AND YOU CANT GO FASTER OR LOOK BETTER ON A BOAT THIS SIZE AND AGE FOR LESS MONEY. THE BOAT WAS JUST FULLY DETAILED INCLUDING WAXED. SHE NEEDS NOTHING BUT GAS. I WILL BE GLAD TO SHOW THE BOAT TO ANY SERIOUS BUYERS WITH ADVANCE NOTICE. I MAY BE OPEN TO PARTIAL TRADES, BUT PROBABLY NOT FOR A BOAT. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE IN MIND, BUT DON'T BE OFFENDED IF I SAY I'M NOT INTERESTED. THE BOAT IS BEING STORED IN JACKSON, TN IN A WAREHOUSE, AND CAN BE STORED THERE UNTIL SPRING AS LONG AS THERE IS A SIZABLE NON REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT PUT DOWN. FULL PAYMENT MUST BE MADE BEFORE THE BOAT LEAVES. TENNESSEE DOES NOT ISSUE BOAT TITLES. THE BOAT WILL BE SOLD ON A BILL OF SALE ALONG WITH THE LAST REGISTRATION CARD. YOU WILL NOT HAVE A PROBLEM REGISTERING IT IN YOUR STATE. IT WAS PREVIOUSLY COAST GUARD REGISTERED. I PLAN TO POST A COUPLE VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE FROM THE LAST TIME IT WAS ON THE WATER SO YOU CAN SEE HOW IT RUNS. FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE. 731-217-4797 BILL THANKS

east tx skier
11-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Man, I think you will need a folding platform to fit it in the garage at an angle.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
11-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Man, I think you will need a folding platform to fit it in the garage at an angle.

It'll definatly fit in a standard garage.:rolleyes:

MIskier
11-19-2012, 10:58 PM
To all the people that think that go fasts are for d-bags have never gone 100+ on the water...

Kyle,

If I were you I would steer clear of the 32' and the single step boats. The 32 has an extremely low transom that makes it interesting in following sea conditions, and the single step brings some of the problems of a step boat with fewer of the benefits you get from a twin step boat.

What ever you choose I would try and stay with Merc power for the obvious ease of maintenance and availability of parts.

If you have an questions feel free to drop me a line I currently work for Skater Powerboats and our main dealer, Blume Loe, who is based in Tx. always has plenty of inventory.

jschildm
11-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Power boats aren't my thing, but I have buddy with a 27' Fountain Fever and blown 502. Cruising at a mild 75 across the lake felt slower than my slalom speed behind the MC. If its something you want to do, go for it. They would like to step up to a 32', so they might cut you a deal, haha.

toolz
11-19-2012, 11:31 PM
I recently sold my Fountain 27, and really miss it. It wasn't the fastest boat on the water, but plenty fast for me, at 75+. Personally, I think that's fast enough for a 27. My dream boat would be a 35 with large N/A motors- no blowers for me. I had a 555 N/A in the 27, which would probably have been good for about 85 with a Merc drive, but mine was a Volvo Duoprop- better drive, but a bit slower. If you're making big power with a blower, you're looking at 100 hour overhauls. The smaller factory SC packages will go much more, of course.

The feeling of standing in the bolster at WOT is like nothing else. That's what I miss the most, but just cruising at 40-50 and crushing the waves is something to be experienced also. IMO, there is no boat out there with the feel and performance of a Fountain. It's got nothing to do with showing off or impressing anybody. I could drive my Fountain for hours on an empty lake, and smile the whole time. If you haven't owned one, you wouldn't understand.

If you can justify it, buy one. I sure hope to own another some day.

HMF007
11-20-2012, 12:30 PM

Exactly, you have it figured out. I want to be running and having fun and not blowing engines. I figured if I had a 35 that would do 100+, then I could run 80 all day and not be too hard in the engines. 80 is plenty fast cruising with burst of 100+ when conditions allow it. Problem is it would be hard to find a staggered boat for double your 55k number. If you need any help looking a know a guy who owns a dealer here in Austin. I think the you can make a deal right now with the lake being low. My girl friend and I are boat junkies. You will find us in the mastercraft boarding or surfing or on the coast fishing for reds. I hope to get a 35 in the future. Here are a couple pictures from the outlaw challenge we hosted at one or our developments in Galveston. Many of these boats were featured at the Miami boat show last year. The MTI cats in the photos (the black corvette and the phantom are owned by car guys and the prices were around $1.7M. It was a great event and really nice people just out to have a good time.

HMF007
11-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Having to upload individually

HMF007
11-20-2012, 12:37 PM
couple more.

TxsRiverRat
11-20-2012, 01:29 PM
looks like fun... better hurry 12-21 comin' soon. ;) As for river rat you could start ski racing... ;)

We have a guy in our club that used to be a ski racer... lol

skps190
11-20-2012, 02:59 PM
For what its worth, we currently have a 2012 X30 and a '94 Formula 336 with twin 502s that my father-in-law bought brand new. Our X30 was delivered in mid May and we put roughly 65 hours on it this summer (keep in mind our lake is a 2.5 hour drive away), we probably put 10-15 hours on the Formula. We have direct access to Lake Michigan from our lake so having the Formula is great in that we have a couple of destinations we can cruise to that are about 45-60 minutes away. It is by far a great boat to have when that water gets rough or if you feel like you want to burn though a $h!t ton of gas and put the hammers down. I will say though that flying up and down the lake tends to get old real quick, we are on a pretty big lake (roughly 5 miles end to end) so on the X30 you can go for a good cruise, on the Formula there are two problems, first when you're doing 60+mph you run out of lake pretty quick and secondly our lake has a no wake zone for boats over 28' that is right in the middle so that shortens the lake even more. Like I said we can go out to Lake Michigan but it takes a good 30 minutes to get through the channel, so you're looking at atleast an hour and a half trip just to fly around, versus just staying on our lake. One of the main reasons we got the 30 was for the room. 5-6 people on the Formula is about it as far as comfortability, you may be able to get 1 or 2 more people on but then someone always has to stand versus on the X30 a couple of different times we had 16 (9 adults, 7 kids) and never really felt crowded. If you're all about speed and tying up and partying then I'd say a powerboat is the way to go, otherwise you are pretty limited in what you can do with one. The last thing I'll say is regarding drivability, put my wife behind the wheel of the X30 and she can hold her own pretty well, put her behind the wheel of the Formula and she gets as nervous as all get out (two throttles, two gear levers, trim tabs, switches for putting the drives in and out, not to mention just the sheer size). If you're going to be out partying on it more than likely you're going to be the one driving back which means you'd have to behave yourself. I doubt we'll be getting rid of either boat soon but if we did I'm 99% sure the Formula would be the one to go.

SkiDog
11-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Kyle, what you should do is put your money into a fine set of Italian Shotguns that will APPRECIATE in value instead of loosing your a$$ when you get tired of filling up a $600-700 fuel tank, and wanna sell (or TRY to sell that boat). It'll take an a$$load of friends to help out topping off a boat like that, UNLESS you're filthy rich and we don't know about it!:D

mikeg205
11-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Hey Kyle..since you stuff for beer maybe you should get this....

MIskier
11-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Hey Kyle..since you stuff for beer maybe you should get this....

Nah, that's a Mystic...the bottoms have a habit of coming off of those:D

Latin Flyer
11-20-2012, 10:22 PM
I,m i already that old that i dont get it?????
WHAT,S THE RUSH?????????
Come on!!!!!

And by the way, i,m 43 and did a season of boat racing!

Sodar
11-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Nah, that's a Mystic...the bottoms have a habit of coming off of those:D

Or catch fire.

http://speedonthewater.com/images/stories/missgeico_fire1.jpg

aquaman
11-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Its OK, That boat has Insurance. :)

mikeg205
11-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Or catch fire.

http://speedonthewater.com/images/stories/missgeico_fire1.jpg

what would flo' have to say... ;)

Jerseydave
11-21-2012, 09:57 PM
I had a Formula 303 SR-1 for 5 years, mostly running the Chesapeake Bay.
Not super fast, but still fun.......until gas prices went crazy!
Glad I sold it and got back into ski and wakeboard boats.....mostly for the kids.

We did a few poker runs that claimed they were "family friendly" in reality it was just a bunch of fat middle-aged drinkers with fast boats and trophy blondes. I didn't want to expose my kids to that any longer.

If I had to do it again, I'd hold out for something more classic like a Cigarette Bullet, Cafe Racer or
Top Gun. Maybe even a 43 Black Thunder, something with tons of cabin space for overnighting. This will have to wait until the kids are grown though.

Any way you look at it, going through 100 gals of gas in under 4 hours can be expensive.

For single engine fun, it's hard to beat an Ocke-Mannerfelt hull! Talk about getting some attention! I guy in our club had one, what a boat! (He worked for Penske Racing)
Picture below is his boat.

http://speedonthewater.com/boat-restorationsprojectsupgrades/524-bat-boat-returns.html

Jerseydave
11-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Yeah, A Top Gun like this one would be right up my alley........just as long as I can keep the MC also......you know just to have the best of both worlds!

johnlanguab
11-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Mostly, it sounds like you guys are outside my pay grade.

However, as far as single engine, 1/2 ton tow-able, go-fast boats are concerned, I think the Stingray Hulls are hard to beat. I owned a 220SX and loved it. The 220SX and the 230SX boats will do mid sixties stock.

The 220SX comes with the 350 MPI Stock. The big blocks seem to all be in 230SX boats. The Bravo 1 outdrives are rated for 600hp I think. So, a turbo or supercharger with a higher pitched prop would really be nasty.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/ctd/3399879593.html <--- 496 BB $26k

johnlanguab
11-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Here's a blown 502 claiming 88.9 mph on GPS in a 230SX.

http://www.speedwake.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1363&page=2

Jerseydave
11-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Here you go Kyle.......29 single engine Fountain
With stock power I bet 65 is about all she'll do though.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2000-Fountain-29-Fever-101656670

mikeg205
11-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Okay..this would be fun...can't do this in my prostar...

Phntmski
11-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Here you go Kyle.......29 single engine Fountain
With stock power I bet 65 is about all she'll do though.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2000-Fountain-29-Fever-101656670

There's one of these living at the bottom of my hill. Looks the same anyway.

mtajpa
11-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Nice looking 32 Fountain.
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/boa/3425427526.html

Kyle
11-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Nice looking 32 Fountain.
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/boa/3425427526.html

That is a clean boat.

It's also a real early 90's model. That means that the hull is not stepped at all so it is safer but slower.

I will keep this ad and think about it. Another concern is that it is a scam. It's a Fountain Fever not Feaver......makes me wonder.

mikeg205
11-23-2012, 06:36 PM
That is a clean boat.

It's also a real early 90's model. That means that the hull is not stepped at all so it is safer but slower.

I will keep this ad and think about it. Another concern is that it is a scam. It's a Fountain Fever not Feaver......makes me wonder.

That's a nice lookin' ride... hopefully there's no place for wasps to build a nest... ;)... I need to move to the southeast or Texas... you guys have too much fun... ;)

CantRepeat
12-01-2012, 11:52 AM
My ride in the 2000 Catalina water ski race, a 38 foot fever. We finished third in men's intermediate with one fall. Was a pretty sweet day.

mtajpa
12-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Here's another one in Vegas area. 35 Fountain twins 525's
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/bod/3460373673.html