PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Cayenne

PT 1999 ProStar
11-18-2012, 07:23 PM
TTers. Question you you all. I'm in sales and I'm in my car everyday going from hospital to hospital but good thing everything is fairly close meaning no hotel stays. Anyways I currently have a E350 4matic Benz and I do love it but I would like to have more room. I'm 6'2 about 220 and I was thinking of a used Cayenne or BMW X5. I won't pull the boat with it b/c the wife has a Tahoe and it pulls perfect. I'm just looking for advice or experience any of you might have with the Cayenne or X5! Good and bad. Reliability etc..... Nice thing is I don't pay for gas either company does! ;).

KahunaCraft
11-18-2012, 08:08 PM
If you buy either one, try the diesel version.

Consider test driving the Lexus RX350 and the Benz ML Class, Audi Q7 and Acura/Honda MDX .... That would give you a good sense. But if you're looking for German specific, the ML and Q7 are worthy of a test drive. If you're looking for V8 power, the diesel will surprise you...but if you want the exhaust sound and a grin on your face in the corners, just buy the Cayenne or the X5M...

All of the German makes will be close in costs to maintain -- however -- some of the above include maintenance packages that include brake pads, oil etc... If you're going used, there is great information on Edmonds.com and in some cases other user forums specific to the vehicle.

Finally, you'll get better trade value at the Benz dealers for your current car, but don't settle based on a few grand. Get the one that makes you happy.

sp00ky
11-18-2012, 08:16 PM
TTers. Question you you all. I'm in sales and I'm in my car everyday going from hospital to hospital but good thing everything is fairly close meaning no hotel stays. Anyways I currently have a E350 4matic Benz and I do love it but I would like to have more room. I'm 6'2 about 220 and I was thinking of a used Cayenne or BMW X5. I won't pull the boat with it b/c the wife has a Tahoe and it pulls perfect. I'm just looking for advice or experience any of you might have with the Cayenne or X5! Good and bad. Reliability etc..... Nice thing is I don't pay for gas either company does! ;).

I understand the cayenne has crappy reviews I'd check with edmunds. I've a few friends who consider the purchase a mistake and that Porsche failed with their only SUV.

Aric'sX15
11-18-2012, 08:20 PM
My mom went from an X5 3.0 XDrive to a Porsche Cayenne GTS, and she HATED it. the X5 was way more comfortable. the GTS had 405 horses, so i liked it. had the air suspension that could raise and lower it, it was AWESOME! but it rode rough for a 70k dollar car. id recommend the X5 over the cayenne for daily driving for sure.

You also have to take the cayenne to the dealer every time for the oil changes.. they dont release their oil filters. (as i was told by a local service station) and the oil change was a cool $300 bucks.

Aric'sX15
11-18-2012, 08:21 PM
I understand the cayenne has crappy reviews I'd check with edmunds. I've a few friends who consider the purchase a mistake and that Porsche failed with their only SUV.

The cayenne is still the best selling car in the porsche current line up, according to the dealer when I was last there. Could have switched to the Panamera thought.

sp00ky
11-18-2012, 08:45 PM

The cayenne is still the best selling car in the porsche current line up, according to the dealer when I was last there. Could have switched to the Panamera thought.

Just passing on buzz I've heard. I have no experience but I do love the panamera

fskof
11-18-2012, 10:12 PM
My mom went from an X5 3.0 XDrive to a Porsche Cayenne GTS, and she HATED it. the X5 was way more comfortable. the GTS had 405 horses, so i liked it. had the air suspension that could raise and lower it, it was AWESOME! but it rode rough for a 70k dollar car. id recommend the X5 over the cayenne for daily driving for sure.

You also have to take the cayenne to the dealer every time for the oil changes.. they dont release their oil filters. (as i was told by a local service station) and the oil change was a cool $300 bucks.

The GTS has the firm sport suspension so yes it will be firm. The Cayenne S or the turbo will have a nicer suspension. It will also be better towing your boat then the X5 or the Tahoe.

Jerseydave
11-18-2012, 10:26 PM
I cannot comment on the X5, but we have a 2012 X3 35i with Xdrive and it's been great! What a fun car to drive, super quick and well balanced handling. Very much improved over the first generation X3 and more spacious. 33K miles so far and all maintenance and repairs are covered by BMW. (tires are $350 each however, but any of these cars will have expensive tires on them)

If the X5 is more your style/size I say go for that.

Nick911
11-18-2012, 10:52 PM

I think it's the cheapest too. Friends of ours had the Cayenne and went to the diesel X5 and never regretted it a second. If it was me I'd go with a Grand Cherokee Overland Edition with the 5.7 Hemi.

JDK
11-19-2012, 05:42 AM
It will also be better towing your boat then the X5 or the Tahoe.

Better towing than a Tahoe? .... lmao
I generally hate Chev's, but even the standard engine Tahoe has a LOT more torque than the Porche, and the Tahoe weighs over a thousand lbs more, and it's factory max tow rating is more than a thousand lbs. higher.

barefoot
11-19-2012, 08:55 AM
I test drove the x5 and thought it felt small. I'm 5'8'' so I'm wondering what your reactions are...

Heard the Cayenne and Tourag are basically the same vehicle.

I'd look at an Audi

PT 1999 ProStar
11-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Thanks everyone for all the great feed back. I haven't test drove anything yet. Most likely will get on it this week. I am adding the Audi Q7 to the mix. I'm not liking the $300 for an oil change on the Cayenne. In regards to the Cayenne pulling better than the Tahoe I have a hard time believing that. Ours is amazing. We had an Expedition before the Tahoe and it doesn't compare. I've had the boat full of gas, car loaded for the weekend with everything plus kids and dog and the Tahoe doesn't miss a beat pulling up the hills in Northwest CT. The Tahoe LTZ is the best car we've owned. Absolutely love it. I will let you know what I find after my test drives. Thanks for all the input.

jgraham37128
11-19-2012, 09:23 AM
I would also suggest the Audi Q7. I have the 2012 Audi Q5 and love it. In fact, it's the only car I've ever owned that I like more, the longer I've had it.

DZ011
11-19-2012, 10:52 AM
My wife LOVES her 2005 Cayenne S,.... The 2004 Cayenne's are the ones to really steer clear of. Ours has the cooling pipes replaced with aluminum, which seemed to be one of the major problems. We test drove an X5, which she did not like at all. Drove the Rover, (which I steered her VERY clear of) I have a Tahoe which I tow with. Not sure I would do much towing with the Cayenne as I want to keep the service issues to a minamum on that rig. My 25 cents worth.

ttu
11-19-2012, 10:56 AM
i have never owned a Cayenne but have always thought they look great. i know they just came out with a tdi version. i have a 2012 touareg that i simply love so far. i have had tahoe's, sequoia's and land cruisers and this is my favorite vehicle and it also tows great! 100,000 warranty and 3 years zero maintance.

PT 1999 ProStar
11-19-2012, 10:56 AM
My wife LOVES her 2005 Cayenne S,.... The 2004 Cayenne's are the ones to really steer clear of. Ours has the cooling pipes replaced with aluminum, which seemed to be one of the major problems. We test drove an X5, which she did not like at all. Drove the Rover, (which I steered her VERY clear of) I have a Tahoe which I tow with. Not sure I would do much towing with the Cayenne as I want to keep the service issues to a minamum on that rig. My 25 cents worth.

DZ thanks for the info. Do the oil changes average $300! I have a 2005 I am looking at low mileage but I tend to put 15-20k on a year. Will this thing end up costing me $$$. My E350 Benz has been great just regular wear and tear.
Thank PT

Lumbergh
11-19-2012, 11:07 AM
I would throw the Lexus GX470 in the mix.

Comfortable and very capable off road, tow well and are built like tanks.

Used to have a Mercedes ML, but really digging our GX470.

Considered the X5 or a late model ML, but having owned German cars for MANY years (VW-BMW-Mercedes), they are simply maintenance intensive.

Ski-me
11-19-2012, 11:56 AM
I'll throw in my 2 cents.....

First off, are you talking about a brand new car, a year or two old, or even older?

We looked at the 07' X5 with the V8.....loved it and it handled great. Enjoyed it so much that we bought it but within 12 hours of ownership, electrical problems crept up. Seat heaters turning off, headlights flashing off, engine stumbling. Called them up and returned the vehicle the next day. That said, it was an awesome driving vehicle and I think this might of been an isolated vehicle. I'd still consider BMW's in the future.....

My wife loved the Cayenne too. We looked at 04' and 05' rigs but they had to be fast, so "S" or "turbo" was a requirement. The turbo was a blast to drive and I wanted it to work out sooooo bad, but it just seemed like the interior couldn't hold up to wear very well. Just saw a ton of Cayenne's that seem to fall apart pretty quickly. So I was concerned about the fit and finish.

I tried the Lexus GX (Landcruiser) rig and it was nice, but a little gutless. Again, this was in the era of 2006 - 2007. A little disappointed on the acceleration because I know my wife wants that "fast" feeling car.

We did briefly look at the Lexus RX350's (you know, the egg shaped SUV's) and was unimpressed to say the least on acceleration. The salesguy told us we should try the RX400h (Hybrid).....wow, huge difference! Extremely quick and felt like a V8 for sure! Although I'm not fond of lines, my wife liked the acceleration! I will say it does not handle like the X5 or Cayenne in corners, but accelerates in a straight line great! And we get around 26 mpg combined.

So, we bought the 07' RX400h a few years ago. I must say, other than maintenance, it hasn't cost us hardly anything. And now at 96k, still a very solid, well put together vehicle. After all, it's a Toyota. We even take it to the Toyota dealer for servicing instead of Lexus. I'd rather spend $75 for 3 oil changes vs. $80 for one (at Lexus).

I can't complain about Lexus at all. Very reliable from my experience. Yea, it's not fancy or have much "bling"....but it's a great car.

2RLAKE
11-19-2012, 01:23 PM
we have an '08 X5, 4.8, sport, loaded and love it ... fantastic car with lots of room ... i'm 6'3" and there is plenty of room ... i will get another without thinking about it ... although the 2013 Q7 has wifi hotspot built in

Lars
11-19-2012, 01:41 PM
I can't complain about Lexus at all. Very reliable from my experience. Yea, it's not fancy or have much "bling"....but it's a great car.

This seemed like an appropriate response:

http://qkme.me/3rudv4

Ski-me
11-19-2012, 02:38 PM
This seemed like an appropriate response:

http://qkme.me/3rudv4

That's awesome!! :D

gotta_ski
11-19-2012, 06:29 PM

This is incorrect. You can buy the filters for this and any other Porsche at many different sources, such as Suncoast:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/955OilFilterKit.html?Category_Code=9552SMAIN

The oil is simply Mobil-1, available literally everywhere. Sure, you need 10 quarts for many of the Porsche models, but it really isn't much more difficult than changing the oil in our boats.

Also, many independent shops will do this oil change for about half what a dealer will charge.

PT 1999 ProStar
11-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Hey everyone! Thanks for all the input! Well I made a decision and it wasn't the Porsche, Audi or BMW. 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland!!! I tested them all and this car was best all around. The Overland edition is Loaded and rides amazing. We are very excited and will be picking it up tonight!!

Thanks again for everyones feedback!
PT

Ski-me
11-27-2012, 02:38 PM
congrats on the new rig! My wife just commented yesteday on how nice they looked.....seriously, she did. :D

Post up pics when you get them. :cool:

PT 1999 ProStar
11-27-2012, 02:42 PM
congrats on the new rig! My wife just commented yesteday on how nice they looked.....seriously, she did. :D

Post up pics when you get them. :cool:

Thanks bud! I will post up picks soon! Of course I'm picking it up today and it's SNOWING OUT!!! Go figure!! :mad:

Ski-me
11-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Gotta test it out in the snow!!@

PT 1999 ProStar
11-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Gotta test it out in the snow!!@

Funny thats what the wife said too....

TRBenj
11-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Hmmm... I figured you'd be pulling from this list of prospective automobiles:

PT Mobiles (http://www.cartalk.com/content/ultimate-gay-and-lesbian-cars-all-time-3)

PT 1999 ProStar
11-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Hmmm... I figured you'd be pulling from this list of prospective automobiles:

PT Mobiles (http://www.cartalk.com/content/ultimate-gay-and-lesbian-cars-all-time-3)

Easy there Timmy!! Spoken like a true Nautique owner!!! ;)

KahunaCraft
11-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Congrats! Your wallet will thank you...you've made a good choice.

Aric'sX15
11-27-2012, 11:24 PM
This is incorrect. You can buy the filters for this and any other Porsche at many different sources, such as Suncoast:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/955OilFilterKit.html?Category_Code=9552SMAIN

The oil is simply Mobil-1, available literally everywhere. Sure, you need 10 quarts for many of the Porsche models, but it really isn't much more difficult than changing the oil in our boats.

Also, many independent shops will do this oil change for about half what a dealer will charge.

just sharing an experience. not the oil, thats a no brainer. the oil filter is what they told me. i needed an oil change, and didnt want to want to wait for a filter off the internet. thanks for the info though, ill look into that next time my fathers 911 needs an oil change.

TNH2oSkier
11-27-2012, 11:49 PM
That's a huge change in direction to go from looking at a Porsche SuV to buying a Jeep. Enjoy the Jeep!

Aric'sX15
11-28-2012, 12:50 AM
those jeeps are SWEET though. good choice! you could have bought two of those jeeps for the price of a cayenne S... good choice!

PT 1999 ProStar
11-28-2012, 01:54 PM
those jeeps are SWEET though. good choice! you could have bought two of those jeeps for the price of a cayenne S... good choice!

That's a huge change in direction to go from looking at a Porsche SuV to buying a Jeep. Enjoy the Jeep!

True but once I drove the Jeep and realized the overall expense with the Cayenne vs the Jeep honestly all the extra $$'s wasn't worth it.

toolz
11-29-2012, 11:43 AM
I think you'll be real happy wit the Jeep. We bought about the same car (a bit longer) earlier this year- a Durango R/T, and have been very satisfied with it. Pulls the boat great, gets good mileage for a big car, and plenty of power. Other than my wife's affair with a deer last week (in the body shop now), it's been a great car.

milkmania
11-29-2012, 02:44 PM
you could always get one like Mariah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOjiraJS84o

milkmania
11-29-2012, 02:49 PM
just go with the Knight-xv
http://www.conquestvehicles.com/gallery/size_comp_web.jpg

Hammer
11-29-2012, 03:52 PM
^^^^^Isn't that the car that was in "Fast Five" that "The Rock" drove.

PT 1999 ProStar
11-29-2012, 08:34 PM
you could always get one like Mariah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOjiraJS84o

OMG!!! My seven year old daughter absolutely LOVED IT. She wants one!! Gee Mariah couldn't afford a Tubro or atleast a S???? Just saying!!! LOL@@:rolleyes:

PT 1999 ProStar
11-29-2012, 09:18 PM
We go "green" in this family......lol!!! More pics to come of the new Jeep!! :cool: