PDA

View Full Version : lifters?

Miss Rita
11-16-2012, 03:56 PM
My '02 Tahoe only has 53,000 miles. For the past year the lifters make noise when started in the AM, gradually goes away after 1-3 minutes. A mechanic friend suggested switching to Valvoline in place of Pennzoil, didn't help.

Question #1: Is this a problem? (I'm guessing not)
Question #2: Any easy fix that I should try?

mikeg205
11-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Which engine do you have...How do you know that it's the lifters making the noise? did mechanic use stethoscope?

1redTA
11-16-2012, 04:17 PM
My 08 Sierra with the 5.3 does it sometimes it got better when I switched to AMSOIL but will still do it if the engines oil gets low ( the engine consumes a quart every 9,000ish miles ) it doesn't bother me though

Miss Rita
11-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Which engine do you have...How do you know that it's the lifters making the noise?

It's the 5.3. No stethoscope was used. We're thinking it's a lifter because it only happens after a cold startup. Once the noise is gone after a minute or so it won't be heard again until after the vehicle has sat for a while.

clrussell
11-16-2012, 07:19 PM
I want to say there is a problem with the oil pickup tube o ring where it goes into the pump on some of those engines. My 6.0 had that problem and they are basically the same engine.. Does it run bad when it does it or just rattle? I would think if a lifter was loosing prime it would miss on a cyl while rattling.. I think they are hydraulic roller lifters, keep in mind I'm just thinking there. But that's basically all it could be on the top end

Tapatalk

neil.anderson63
11-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Had an 02 GMC -At about 45K miles the ticking started at cold start up then went away when engine warmed up. Tried the different oil... no luck. Replaced ALL of the lifters and the ticking went away. Sold it in 2005 with 75K miles and no ticking.

JDC
11-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Mine has been doing it for 4 years, only on cold start, for about 1 minute. A friend has the same engine and his has been doing the same since 2004.
It bothered me for the first year but now I don't care. 8p

jhall0711
11-16-2012, 11:34 PM
My '02 Tahoe only has 53,000 miles. For the past year the lifters make noise when started in the AM, gradually goes away after 1-3 minutes. A mechanic friend suggested switching to Valvoline in place of Pennzoil, didn't help.

Question #1: Is this a problem? (I'm guessing not)
Question #2: Any easy fix that I should try?

This is very common with both the 4.8 and 5.3 vortec V8s. It was a tolerance issue in some of the early years and was supposedly correct in 04. There is a lot of threads about this on silverado forums. Most have just accepted it as normal. I have a 04 Silverado with 5.3 and never hear it.

Nick911
11-16-2012, 11:38 PM
I've had two Silverados with the 5.3 am they both do this. My Yukon with 6.2 does it as well. I'm told it is common with all GM engines. I add 2 cans of Wynns Engine Tune Up after every oil change and it helps.

Aric'sX15
11-16-2012, 11:41 PM
Had a 2007 Silverado with the 5.3 did it every cold start up since ive had it. bought it new and it did that noise for as long as i can remember. Never was a problem.

mikeg205
11-17-2012, 12:09 AM
My 2001 benz did this this season for a couple of cold mornings. FWIW run some marvel mysteriol for 5 minutes before you change the oil...seemed to help my w203 benz....c320 160K miles. Those tolerances are important. you may also want to try hy-per lube.

It's great stuff - its imported and relabeled from here....

http://www.italmatch.it/cm/articoli/Arese%20brochure%2001.pdf

http://www.hyperlube.com/c3/Zinc-Replacement-Additive-c7.html

careful on upping viscosity..as to what you are running now... jumping up too much may cause problems with the oil reaching the needed areas.

I went from 10w40/10w30 to 15w50...plan on running synth vr-1 20w50 in the summer do to machine age...my mechanic says its a good idea at the mileage and loads I have.

wheelerd
11-17-2012, 01:11 AM
I have an 02 Yukon and get some noise on startup. I was told it was piston slap although it does sound like lifters. Apparently the GM 5.3 engines are notorious for this. It has something to do I think with some sort of synthetic material used in the piston skirt. There is all kinds of discussion about it on various GM owners threads. The consensus generally is that if only lasts 60 - 90 seconds its alright.

JDC
11-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Those tolerances are important. you may also want to try hy-per lube.

It's great stuff - its imported and relabeled from here....

http://www.italmatch.it/cm/articoli/Arese%20brochure%2001.pdf

http://www.hyperlube.com/c3/Zinc-Replacement-Additive-c7.html
Hyper lube may help with the wear, but it did nothing for the ticking noise in my engine. Tried it.

I went back to not caring about the noise and I'll save the hyper lube for the boat. ;)

Cloaked
11-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Read up on any of many forums. This was an inherent problem in 2000 - 2003 from all that I have read. I had the same issue with a 2000 Tahoe 5.3. "Had" being the key word. The issue never went away but the truck did.

MikeyOrange88
11-17-2012, 08:43 PM
My '01 Tahoe 5.3 with 260k miles has been doing it for a while. I'm going for 300k.

mikeg205
11-18-2012, 06:09 AM
My '01 Tahoe 5.3 with 260k miles has been doing it for a while. I'm going for 300k.

Sounds like a good topic of a thread....high mileage thread... hmmmm with pic's... we'll have to pic a baseline... 150,000 minimum? plus pic's...

Miss Rita
11-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Apparently the GM 5.3 engines are notorious for this. The consensus generally is that if only lasts 60 - 90 seconds its alright.

Well, everyone seems to be on the same page with this, I can quickly learn to ignore it. THanks for all the feedback.

tommy panfish
11-19-2012, 11:00 PM
I just traded in our 04 Yukon.....193k miles, same noise.....I was told piston slap...ran Mobil 1 in it....never a problem....great motor.

CantRepeat
12-04-2012, 08:21 AM
What oil filter are you guys using?

I'd try switch to a wix filter if you are not currently using one. My wife's van used to do this but stopped when I switch filters.

MikeyOrange88
12-04-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm a bit embarassed to admit this, but the filter is the cheap, probably unbranded one they use at Jiffy-Lube. I used to always change my oil/filter myself, but disposing of the oil became a chore I no longer wanted to deal with. I still do all of the other fuel/air filters etc.

I think I'm going try your suggestion, get a Wix and maybe maybe a bit heavier oil, and see if makes any difference. I think the oil recommendation for my '01 5.3 is 5W-30 or 10W-30 and that is what has been used.

For the boat I use the FL1A and SAE 30 oil. That of course I change myself!

JDC
12-04-2012, 05:12 PM
A different filter won't help the -ticking lifter noise on cold engine- problem that's been described here.
A higher quality filter is better for your engine, but it won't fix this problem... IMO.

CantRepeat
12-04-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm a bit embarassed to admit this, but the filter is the cheap, probably unbranded one they use at Jiffy-Lube. I used to always change my oil/filter myself, but disposing of the oil became a chore I no longer wanted to deal with. I still do all of the other fuel/air filters etc.

I think I'm going try your suggestion, get a Wix and maybe maybe a bit heavier oil, and see if makes any difference. I think the oil recommendation for my '01 5.3 is 5W-30 or 10W-30 and that is what has been used.

You probably wont get a discount on the service but you can take in your own filter.

CantRepeat
12-04-2012, 05:36 PM
A different filter won't help the -ticking lifter noise on cold engine- problem that's been described here.
A higher quality filter is better for your engine, but it won't fix this problem... IMO.

I wouldn't be so fast to say that. Anti drain back valves are not all built the same and some filters don't even have them. Letting the lifters drain out can cause noise at start up. This is the case on my wife's van.

JDC
12-04-2012, 06:03 PM
I wouldn't be so fast to say that. Anti drain back valves are not all built the same and some filters don't even have them. Letting the lifters drain out can cause noise at start up. This is the case on my wife's van.The lifters "draining out" has nothing to do with the oil filter.
Aside from that, the GM engines referred to in this thread have a vertical mounted filter so they don't benefit from an anti-drainback valve.

CantRepeat
12-04-2012, 06:10 PM
The lifters "draining out" has nothing to do with the oil filter.
Aside from that, the GM engines referred to in this thread have a vertical mounted filter so they don't benefit from an anti-drainback valve.

OK, don't try a different filter.

CantRepeat
12-05-2012, 10:09 AM
OK, don't try a different filter.

Or, do what some of the GM service bulletins say. Try a different filter. It's just a suggestion and at 5 bucks is surely worth a try, or not. Yes I know the OPs vehicle is an 02.

Service Information
2006 Chevrolet Chevy C Silverado - 2WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 643955
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine Noise on Start-Up, but Only Lasting a Few Seconds Cause Correction

Incorrect oil filter without anti-drainback feature
Install the correct oil filter.

Incorrect oil viscosity
•Drain the oil.
•Install the correct viscosity oil.

High valve lifter leak down rate
Replace the lifters, as required.

Worn thrust bearing
•Check the crankshaft end play.
•Inspect the thrust bearing and crankshaft.
•Repair or replace, as required.

Damaged or faulty oil filter bypass valve
•Inspect the oil filter bypass valve for proper operation.
•Repair or replace, as required.

MikeyOrange88
12-13-2012, 01:51 PM

For what it's worth....
Changed my Tahoe oil/filter this past weekend, ended up with a Napa Silver filter as they didn't have a Wix for my application (not sure where the Napa branded filter lies in the quality scale or if it has the drainback feature). Also changed to 20W-50 oil. It helped, but didn't eliminate the noise issue. A bit strange, but now it starts and runs silently for about 30 seconds, then has 'the noise' for about a minute. It isn't as loud, nor for as long, as it was. Before, noise was apparent immediately upon startup. Sometimes I thought I had a diesel under the hood. Having an engine that is'full' of oil also probably helps as my rear main seal drips.

CantRepeat
12-13-2012, 08:15 PM
For what it's worth....
Changed my Tahoe oil/filter this past weekend, ended up with a Napa Silver filter as they didn't have a Wix for my application (not sure where the Napa branded filter lies in the quality scale or if it has the drainback feature). Also changed to 20W-50 oil. It helped, but didn't eliminate the noise issue. A bit strange, but now it starts and runs silently for about 30 seconds, then has 'the noise' for about a minute. It isn't as loud, nor for as long, as it was. Before, noise was apparent immediately upon startup. Sometimes I thought I had a diesel under the hood. Having an engine that is'full' of oil also probably helps as my rear main seal drips.

ORiely's should have a wix for just about any motor.

I'm glad you at least have some relief and indeed a change in the behavior of the tick. I would not give up complete hope on the filter oil combination. While it may not be a complete fix for everyone I have seen it work more then once.

I've also heard of people running half a quart of marvels mystery oil for a couple of oil changes as well.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-14-2012, 12:35 AM
ORiely's should have a wix for just about any motor.

I'm glad you at least have some relief and indeed a change in the behavior of the tick. I would not give up complete hope on the filter oil combination. While it may not be a complete fix for everyone I have seen it work more then once.

I've also heard of people running half a quart of marvels mystery oil for a couple of oil changes as well.

There is an old trick I haven't heard of for a while. Used to work. May be worth a try.

mxhideout
12-14-2012, 12:52 AM
I bought the 6.0 out of a 2500 (same engine base as 5.3) for my drag car project. Was told it had a noisy lifter. I pulled it apart because I wanted to put a bigger cam in it anyway, and to our surprise, a chunk was missing on one of the stock cam lobes. Hopefully yours isn't that bad, but I just figured I'd post it here since we're talking about it.

lhkrueger
12-14-2012, 08:51 PM
There is another possibility. These engines have pistons with short skirts. We tore down a 5.3 (after doing everything else we could think of, bearings, lifters etc) and it was piston slap. A hone out and new pistons solved it. It is common and engine can run a long time without repair.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-14-2012, 10:54 PM
I bought the 6.0 out of a 2500 (same engine base as 5.3) for my drag car project. Was told it had a noisy lifter. I pulled it apart because I wanted to put a bigger cam in it anyway, and to our surprise, a chunk was missing on one of the stock cam lobes. Hopefully yours isn't that bad, but I just figured I'd post it here since we're talking about it.

Wow, that is a strange one.