PDA

View Full Version : Pop up cleats used for dock fenders...

jakethebt
11-13-2012, 07:44 PM
In a quest to make launching and capturing easier, I was considering installing some pop-up cleats. I have seen the standard locations and got to wondering. How easy is it to use these popups cleats with the ever popular taylor made low freeboard dock fenders? Has anyone been able to get the fenders to sit in the right location to protect the boat using just a simple loop over the pop up cleat? Any pics?

jakethebt
11-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Wow... really... no one uses pop up cleats for dock fenders?

mikeg205
11-15-2012, 08:56 PM
I am sure people use them for bumbers...they look great when installed. I know too_tall has them and they look great...I have not seen him use the cleats for bumbers

MattsCraft
11-16-2012, 04:47 AM
These are awesome, MC now has them as an option for 2013.

http://bigskyprecision.com/PhenderPro.php

byronic
11-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Cars and docks have bumpers,boats use fenders.

mikeg205
11-16-2012, 08:00 AM

potato - potahto.... :D

02ProstarSammyD
11-16-2012, 08:51 AM

cars don't have fenders?

jakethebt
11-17-2012, 08:11 PM
These are awesome, MC now has them as an option for 2013.

http://bigskyprecision.com/PhenderPro.php

Those do look nice. I had to look at the pdf file to see how they work. Any idea of suppliers or cost?

jgraham37128
11-17-2012, 10:51 PM
I've seen them on Cobalt boats and thought they are very nice and would like have some myself. Let me know if you find a price on them.

BrooksfamX2
11-18-2012, 12:15 AM
I have 6 pop up cleats on my X2......... use the factory aft the mid ship pop up cleats I added for hanging fenders.

jgraham37128
11-18-2012, 08:25 AM
My X2 has pop up cleats too from the factory. I though all new MC's come with these? I was talking about these http://bigskyprecision.com/PhenderPro.php

I wish I had four of these too. No more of wraping the rope around everything just plug and play!

jakethebt
11-18-2012, 08:35 AM
I have 6 pop up cleats on my X2......... use the factory aft the mid ship pop up cleats I added for hanging fenders.

Do you have any pics you can post?

jakethebt
11-18-2012, 08:38 AM
My X2 has pop up cleats too from the factory. I though all new MC's come with these? I was talking about these http://bigskyprecision.com/PhenderPro.php

I wish I had four of these too. No more of wraping the rope around everything just plug and play!

I'm with you there. It might be nice to have the pop up cleats for dock line and the phenderpro for fenders. Im just trying to simplify the launch and recovery procedure. The addition of both may be the best route.

MattsCraft
11-18-2012, 09:49 AM
They are not cheap, but I have seen them in action, very nice. I called them awhile back and think the price was like $100 or $150 each... It is an option on the 2013's. If I was not selling my boat I would add them, definite on my next boat. They have a post build installation system, you just need to make sure you know the best place to put them before drilling holes.

As far as the fender/bumper debate, we call them both by name:rolleyes: Fenders become bumpers when/if you come into the dock to quickly;)

stt
11-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Does anyone have a picture of these installed?

MattsCraft
11-18-2012, 10:10 AM
According to wikipedia nautical terms and go sailing:

Fender (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_%28boating%29)An air or foam filled bumper used in boating to keep boats from banging into docks or each other.

Fairleads: A metal fitting through which lines are run to in order to change the direction of the lines while reducing friction on the lines.

Fairway: Sailing on inland waters, fairway means an open channel or being in midchannel.

Fast: To make fast. To secure (snugly tie) a line to something.

Fathoms: A unit of measurement. One fathon equals 6 feet.

Fenders: Cylindrical air filled plastic or rubber bumpers hung off the side of a boat or dock to prevent damage to both dock and boat.

Fetch: The distance over open water the wind has blown.

Faked: A line is faked by zig zagging it back and forth so that when it is used it will not tangle on itself.

Flaked:A sail is flaked when lowered. Flaking a sail is the process of folding the sail back and forth upon itself like the blades on a paper fan. Flaking a sail will help prolong the sail life.

Foot (Sail): The foot of a sail is the lower part of the sail. In the case of a mainsail, this is the part of the sail that runs along the boom.

Forestay: The forestay is a wire that runs from the top of the mast (or near the top of the mast) to the bow of the boat. The forestay supports the mast from falling backwards and is also used in shaping the bend in the mast for maximum efficiency. The luff (front) of the foresails (jib, genoa) are also generally attached to the forestay depending on the rigging system.

Forward: When on a boat, forward means towards the bow. "Move forward" - move towards the front of the boat.

BrooksfamX2
11-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Do you have any pics you can post?

No action shots, but you can see the midship cleat in this picture.............

stt
11-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks, I was seeing if anyone had pictures of the pin style cleat like the Phender Pro?

schill
11-27-2012, 12:35 AM
West Marine has pop up cleats.
4.5" Stainless-Steel Pop-Up "Neat Cleat" 3732245 66515-7 In Stock $69.99
When docking we just use a bungee rope on the ski plyon and one on the tower and attach TAYLOR MADE Big B Fenders with Tidy-Ups Fender Adjusters. We don't dock often, but we never have had an issues with this set up.

if its glass we ski
if its a rough we wakeboard
if it choppy we surf
A day on the Lake with family and friends Priceless

willyt
11-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Forestay: The forestay is a wire that runs from the top of the mast (or near the top of the mast) to the bow of the boat. The forestay supports the mast from falling backwards and is also used in shaping the bend in the mast for maximum efficiency. The luff (front) of the foresails (jib, genoa) are also generally attached to the forestay depending on the rigging system.

ohhhhhh...... so now i know why when i say baby lets cut the forestay and go straight to the bed she just looks at me weird...

BrooksfamX2
11-27-2012, 09:07 AM
I got my two 4.5" Mastercraft pop up cleats from ebay for about $50.

bsloop
12-04-2012, 11:37 AM
This whole thread is full of mis used words.

A person can use the term "bumper" but lose my respect for their seamanship.

I also have not seen any examples of "pop up" cleats.
Pop up cleats are spring loaded and release with a button push or pressing on the cleat itself which then "pops" up.
Most cleats are simpler "pull up" cleats that are cheaper and require less fiberglass cutting.
Pay attention to the sub assembly as some pull ups can be require more extensive cutting.

While the pin cleats look petite and sexy they have drawbacks. First, inexperienced and "distracted :friday:" people may mis the hole and scratch/chip the gunwale :cry:
It takes almost as much work to install a pin or mushroom but they only perform a single function vs a regular cleat that can also serve as a mooring point. (one may consider a few layers of fiberglass reinforcement as the sides are not built up as strong as top sides and corners)
On top of all that, they are usually more expensive, especially the vanity MC logo.

Any of the above choices are probably better than the cheap and un reilable fender hangers.

Personally, I am a fan of the Big B style fender that can be raised higher and offer better protection than the eye style that hangs lower and takes up more space. The low freeboard fenders may have a limited advantage in pier dock applications where there is not as much solid side structure for the fender to contact and a greater chance of the boat slipping under.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-04-2012, 12:46 PM
And misspelled words.:rolleyes::D:D

chunter
12-11-2012, 04:23 PM
you all might like this
http://www.marinepartdepot.com/new316ststqu.html