PDA

View Full Version : Slow when refueling

mybobtail
11-09-2012, 09:56 AM
have a 2013 prostar197 that I picked up 2weeks ago when I went to fill it up it took ages it was like the tank was full.i rung the dealer he said it is normal on a new boat it will settle down once the fuel moves around in the tank.went to fill it up today and had the same problem.
anyone got any ideas or have the same problem

Thrall
11-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Guessing it's an air lock from sealing the pump nozzle against the fuel filler. Were you using a fuel pump that has the spring loaded shroud around the nozzle?
Most every inboard I've been around is tough to fuel up in some way. Can't have the gas going full force into the tank, burps fuel before the auto shut off on hte pump, etc.
My buddies X15 has dual fuel fillers, one on each side and his is great to fuel up. Crack open the opposite side filler cap and can fuel it up as fast as the pump will go with no fuel burping out.
IMO your dealer is full of crap, "letting the fuel move around in hte tank?", it's not liek the fuel tank has a break in period before it operates correctly. It's normal I think. My old 190 I could only fill about half speed on the pump or it would act the same as yours.

mybobtail
11-09-2012, 11:34 AM
hey thrall no spring on the bowser I have tried everything holding the nozzle to the left to the right all the way in haleve in and holding it just out but nothing still slow as

Double D
11-09-2012, 11:56 AM
have a 2013 prostar197 that I picked up 2weeks ago when I went to fill it up it took ages it was like the tank was full.i rung the dealer he said it is normal on a new boat it will settle down once the fuel moves around in the tank.went to fill it up today and had the same problem.
anyone got any ideas or have the same problem

I have a 1994 and it still acts like that for me. I have to keep the nozzle near the top of the tank and hold it there, then I have to use minimal pressure to get the gas in. A fill up for me takes about double the time compared to my truck. Not sure what your dealer is talking about since my boat is, WOW, 19 years old.

gts-20
11-09-2012, 12:06 PM
On our PS214, there are fuel fills on bot the port and starbord side. We remove both caps when fueling. This make the fuel flow much faster.

cbryan70
11-09-2012, 12:06 PM
I can fill my 78 up as fast as the pump will pump. All i have is a fuel vent on the opposite side of the filler.
Is your fuel vent blocked?

thatsmrmastercraft
11-09-2012, 12:47 PM
I can fill my 78 up as fast as the pump will pump. All i have is a fuel vent on the opposite side of the filler.

Same as my '77.....fill it wide open. I suspect that the new vent are a little more sophisticated as our old versions, but I would definitely check the vent to see if it works.

Thrall
11-09-2012, 06:34 PM

Could dump the gas in my '96 too (it would still burp at the end if you weren't paying attention), think becasue of the tank vent.
Newer boats, no fuel tank vent, hence the reason the dual fillers work to speed up re-fueling, acts as a vent if you open the opposite cap.

psychobilly
11-09-2012, 06:41 PM
I have a 92 and I have to put the gas nozzle up side down or it acts just like you explained. No other way works but up side down does the trick.

Kweisner
11-09-2012, 09:31 PM
I've learned the hard way with my '07 197--no angle of nozzle entry seems to work and fillups are just a long and sometimes messy process.

Double D
11-09-2012, 09:56 PM
I have a 92 and I have to put the gas nozzle up side down or it acts just like you explained. No other way works but up side down does the trick.

Upside down? Is your cap on the top or side?

Mine is on the top so there is no upside down....

MIskier
11-10-2012, 12:52 AM
The new fuel system is the culprit. The EPA mandated that boats could no longer vent raw fuel vapor with a normal vent so the new system has several valves on the way into the tank and a scrubber in the line for the vapor. All of this creates back pressure in the system which makes it harder to fill.

psychobilly
11-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Upside down? Is your cap on the top or side?

Mine is on the top so there is no upside down....

Yep DD, on the side of the bulwarks, starboard side, aft....

mybobtail
11-12-2012, 01:39 AM
ok think we found the culprit a kinked hose comming out of the breather box
will fill it up next and let you know if thats it

Double D
11-13-2012, 06:12 PM
ok think we found the culprit a kinked hose comming out of the breather box
will fill it up next and let you know if thats it

What hose is that? Filler or vent? I can't tell from the picture, on my phone.

Sent from Never Neverland using my iPhone 4 on Tapatalk

mybobtail
11-14-2012, 07:52 AM
its the hose that comes out of the breather .

Quinten
11-14-2012, 01:05 PM
its the hose that comes out of the breather .

breather, we don't have a breather on our 2012 x2. :s