PDA

View Full Version : People near The Woodlands,Tx - Storage / Dealer etc questions..

Cobra Rob
11-08-2012, 07:43 PM
So looks like rather than the trip I was going to take down towards the end of the summer, I finally landed a Job in The Woodlands. I am going to be towing the boat down from Oregon the week after Thanksgiving. I am thinking just because of rain after I load all the stuff back into it (life jackets, ropes etc that I removed for winter storage, putting back for just the move) I am going to see about getting it Shrink Wrapped just because of any rain / snow I may have to drive though along the way.

SOOOO I saw a dealer right off 45 that had some nice Wakesetters, but is there a MC dealer around the area?

Anyone have indoor winter storage? I have been winterized and in heated storage since beginning of August. But I don't atleast for now want to store it at the house. I am looking for a place that can fit the X-45 and not cost an insane amount though.

Anyone have a really nice really cheap house they need to rent? 8p

Anything else I should know about the area? I just got the offer pretty much 2 days ago and I have to be there Dec 3 so I am in a RUSH to find a place and get packed and drive down etc. I need to be on the road like no later than the monday after TG.

:cool:

psychobilly
11-08-2012, 07:56 PM
I use Loch Ness storage up on lake Conroe. It's not climate controlled but you don't really need this in south Texas. I have a huge storage that I keep both boats in and it's 60' deep I think. It's cheap too. gts-20 keeps his on the south end and they valet launch. Pros and cons there... The boat house closes early so if you're not back in time then you need to make sure you bring your truck.

I have a realtor friend that may can help you find a place to rent, pm me if you want her contact info.

Dealer worth going to is going to be a ways from here. I don't use one but Gts-20 talks HIGHLY of Texas Ski Ranch.

Keep in touch bud and check your trailer out real good before hitting the road.

east tx skier
11-08-2012, 08:16 PM
That dealer off I45 is Daryl Moore Marine I'm guessing. They used to be a MC dealer, but no longer. I bought my old 205 from them way back when. They were good to me, but I have heard that things fell off there at some point. Looks like you're traveling.

Cobra Rob
11-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Texas Ski ranch has been recommended a bunch.. Hopefully I will not be in need of a dealer anytime soon.

What kind of storage rates are you getting for indoor? I don't want to do valet if possible I just want a place to store. I would really like to keep at house during the summer when using all of the time. I could also look for just a cheap covered storage in the summer too near the house.

Kinda want to just throw it in there for the next few months after I get it there for now.

Got new tires on it about 20 miles ago, and bearing baths are the metal and look good so should be fine on trailer.. Need to make/buy/find a tow chain and probably rear straps though. We only ever used the wench since it's SOOOOO damn hard to get that huge boat off the trailer and I never tow far...different this time going to be 2600 miles... I am going a few miles out of my way to go down I-5 down to Bakersfield then over to I-10 so I can avoid going though the rockies in the winter. Will be a LOT less scenic but quicker and safer..

east tx skier
11-08-2012, 08:35 PM
TSR is very good. But New Braunfels is probably at least 4 hours+ from the Woodlands. At that long of a drive, bring it to Tyler (about a 3 hour drive). My local Nautique dealer will be happy to work on it and I consider these guys to be the absolute best in the business, no ifs, ands, or buts.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
11-08-2012, 08:39 PM
There's a lot of places around conroe to store boats. There is a mc dealer on the south end of conroe but they are more like a nautique, formula, and pontoon dealer that just happens to have mastercrafts. Yes darryl moore is on 45 with malibu's.

My boss has bought several mc from darryl moore and was happy with these guys, and when he bought his last mc from houston mc he said he would never buy another mc just because hmc jerked him around. My boss aka the owner of a new car dealership is a true boat guy.

-V-
11-08-2012, 08:59 PM
+1 for TSR!!!!

psychobilly
11-08-2012, 09:09 PM
I think you can get into a storage building where I am for around 65 a month. Way back when I had a small one it was 57 but I bet it's went up a bit.

Sounds like easty is on to sum'n there... I think gts goes to TSR cuz they have fam over yonder.

Cobra Rob
11-08-2012, 09:42 PM
I think you can get into a storage building where I am for around 65 a month. Way back when I had a small one it was 57 but I bet it's went up a bit.

Sounds like easty is on to sum'n there... I think gts goes to TSR cuz they have fam over yonder.

That's less than I am paying now for sure... I might have a place I can throw it for the winter closer to my parents house in south Houston.. but not sure yet... Any contact info on your place?

NM I saw name in first post...

east tx skier
11-09-2012, 10:41 AM
There's a lot of places around conroe to store boats. There is a mc dealer on the south end of conroe but they are more like a nautique, formula, and pontoon dealer that just happens to have mastercrafts. Yes darryl moore is on 45 with malibu's.

My boss has bought several mc from darryl moore and was happy with these guys, and when he bought his last mc from houston mc he said he would never buy another mc just because hmc jerked him around. My boss aka the owner of a new car dealership is a true boat guy.

Houston MC really shat the bed on the customer service side of things from many accounts on here. If there's a good Nautique dealer on south Conroe, see if they work on MCs. My local CC dealer worked on my MC for years and won a customer for life. PCM versus Indmar is not too different. And if they don't stock compatible parts, so much the better. In that case, you can shop the parts around on the web and won't be locked into buying the parts from the dealer at a huge markup.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
11-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Houston MC really shat the bed on the customer service side of things from many accounts on here. If there's a good Nautique dealer on south Conroe, see if they work on MCs. My local CC dealer worked on my MC for years and won a customer for life. PCM versus Indmar is not too different. And if they don't stock compatible parts, so much the better. In that case, you can shop the parts around on the web and won't be locked into buying the parts from the dealer at a huge markup.

there is a nautique dealer with mastercrafts and a few other brands on south conroe and thats who I refering to as just having mc's there, they picked up mc after hmc went out of business.

kskonn
11-09-2012, 12:34 PM
TSR is very good. But New Braunfels is probably at least 4 hours+ from the Woodlands. At that long of a drive, bring it to Tyler (about a 3 hour drive). My local Nautique dealer will be happy to work on it and I consider these guys to be the absolute best in the business, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Only about 3 hours to NB from the Woodlands, I know a few people from the Woodlands that bring their boat out to TSR, get what they need done completed and then spend a few days on the lakes down here. I believe that TSR makes sure to get out of town boats knocked out quickly so you can git the lake.

gts-20
11-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Congrats on your new job. Welcome back to Texas..,,

We live near downtown, in Mid-town, off Washington. We store our PS214 @ Lakeside Landing on HWY 105, on the southern shore of Lake Conroe. Its about a 20-30 minute drive from the Woodlands. They offer vallet launch from 8a-8 summer/8a-5p winter, and have 2 private ramps with 24/7 access. We store in a 30x12 and pay $130 pr/mnth, including vallet launch. There are several boat/rv storage places near the Woodlands. You shouldn't have any problems finding one. I work on the south side of town near Beltway 8/I45 south, If you need help finding a place near South Houston, I can scout around. I will be headed up to the lake both Sat & Sun this weekend, driving past the Woodlands, so I can also try and get some contact info for some of the storage places near there.

The local MC/Nautique dealer is called Dockside Marine, but like psychobilly posted, we use TSR (Texas Ski Ranch). Like east tx skier said about his dealer, we were so well taken care of by TSR that we are customers for life. Dockside is right down the street from my boat storage, but I'd rather make the 3 hour tow to TSR. Lets just say several people I know have had "issues" with Dockside. PM me if you would like specifics.

TSR :headbang::worthy: TSR

east tx skier
11-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Only about 3 hours to NB from the Woodlands, I know a few people from the Woodlands that bring their boat out to TSR, get what they need done completed and then spend a few days on the lakes down here. I believe that TSR makes sure to get out of town boats knocked out quickly so you can git the lake.

You're correct. Living where I do now, I am so used to driving through Austin to visit our relatives in NB that forgot about taking 10 all the way and just calculated the route through Austin (or up 71 to 21 to 35).

I've been to TSR several times. Quite a proshop and they definitely struck me as a good dealer. Glad I don't have to drive 3 hours for service though.

How are the lake levels in that part of central Texas? I assume Dunlap is okay. How are McQueeney and Canyon?

Cmpdman
11-11-2012, 01:57 PM
The local dealer is Dockside marine. I have mixed results in working with them. To get my tower fixed was nearly 7 weeks. Sure made the summer seam really long. We store our boat at the Palms marina. Valet launching, gas, store, etc. feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Cmpdman
11-11-2012, 02:02 PM
P.s. good luck on registering your boat & trailer in TX. Be prepared to visit the Texas parks & wildlife & the DMV a few times. By far one of the worst experiences we had in moving to TX. You can read the details in my previous posts.

psychobilly
11-11-2012, 04:11 PM
P.s. good luck on registering your boat & trailer in TX. Be prepared to visit the Texas parks & wildlife & the DMV a few times. By far one of the worst experiences we had in moving to TX. You can read the details in my previous posts.

That really depends if you have out of state tags.... If the state your coming from don't require trailer tags on boat trailers then you are in a world of several trips and a few hundred dollars! It was nasty! My skiff I have had for 8 years or so and I still haven't put tags on it... Both boats were bought in Alabama, which do not require you to have trailer tags... There's a thread in here on my saga too....

Cobra Rob
11-11-2012, 06:16 PM
That really depends if you have out of state tags.... If the state your coming from don't require trailer tags on boat trailers then you are in a world of several trips and a few hundred dollars! It was nasty! My skiff I have had for 8 years or so and I still haven't put tags on it... Both boats were bought in Alabama, which do not require you to have trailer tags... There's a thread in here on my saga too....

Oregon has plates for the trailer but no tags required... The boat I just got my oregon renewal so not going to pay that obviously. I guess I am not in a hurry on the boat stuff since I have a million other things to do first...

As for storage, just really need a warehouse. I don't care about valet etc since I am not even sure where I will use it for now. It's nice here I was a 15min drive from house to river so I could go after work on fridays even... I am hoping I can get away with keeping it at the house during the summer and storing during the winter like I did here. It's going to suck not being about to go out every friday/sat all summer and drive back.. I think nicer water is going to be a planned activity with a maybe overnight stay.. Or a long drive home.

houtexX30
11-12-2012, 10:24 AM
I live about 3 miles from the northern end of lake conroe near bentwater. I use a brand new storage facility at the end of my road. The ramp i use is called scotts ridge recreation area. Takes about 5 min to hook up the boat and be on the water. There is also a gas station near by. The storage place is really nice but its pricey. all their units are 14' wide and they have them in 25' 35' 50' and 70' lengths(i think). They are $.32 per sq ft. Its called "A Storage Place". Really nice and super convenient for me anyways. Just a thought.....

houtexX30
11-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Oh yeah, I also happen to have a house for sale in the Woodlands...........

kskonn
11-12-2012, 10:58 AM
You're correct. Living where I do now, I am so used to driving through Austin to visit our relatives in NB that forgot about taking 10 all the way and just calculated the route through Austin (or up 71 to 21 to 35).

I've been to TSR several times. Quite a proshop and they definitely struck me as a good dealer. Glad I don't have to drive 3 hours for service though.

How are the lake levels in that part of central Texas? I assume Dunlap is okay. How are McQueeney and Canyon?

Lake levels were never a problem here, Canyon dropped but never got low enough to be an issue for use.

Dunlap was lowered for damn repair right before 4th of july and is finally back up- it was pretty messed up for people that lived there.

McQueeney was fine from all I heard, it is the lake up from me but I never go on McQueeny, it is a prop killer and always to crowded.

I live on Lake placid and it never dropped more than 6 inches, my understanding is that it has not been down more than 6 inches in the last 20 years, it is a hydroelectric producing lake.

Mastercraftdave
11-12-2012, 01:16 PM
we bought our X45 from dockside marine. They treated us very good and gave us a better price that two other MC dealers gave us for the same boat. Every person has there own experience but mine was good with dockside.

kskonn
11-12-2012, 05:36 PM
we bought our X45 from dockside marine. They treated us very good and gave us a better price that two other MC dealers gave us for the same boat. Every person has there own experience but mine was good with dockside.

I have not heard bad experiences with the sales team at Dockside just with the service department.

DocksideMC
11-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Hello guys. This is Don McCain. I am in sales at dockside marine on lake Conroe. I wanted to take a minute to give a heads up on a few issues that y'all have had with our service department. I know that we certainly had a rough beginning as do many dealers who are growing very rapidly. Typically new dealers have a pretty large spike in sales right when they pick up the line, as we did when we were blessed with MC. What then occurs is a very strong influx of new boats to be serviced in a very short period of time. During that time we are also trying to train service personnel to take care of your boat to the best of their ability. This is a curve in which we have to try and keep current customers happy along with brand new customers all while learning a brand new line of products (some indmar, some Ilmor). That being said, I have been frustrated by this as well. I am happy to announce that we have made some significant investments in training, parts in stock, we have acquired quality veteran inboard techs, as well as a new team leader back there that is hammering down these long lead times on service tickets. I would be happy to take any of your calls if you have any questions or you can call the service dept direct at 936-447-6162. After all. We are your local Mastercraft dealers and we are dedicated to making service on the boat easier and as painless as possible. WE Want your business!! Please give us a shot. Thanks, Don 936-447-6161

Cobra Rob
11-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks Don, that's enough of a reason for me to try you guys out when I get there. I am lucky enough I shouldn't need any service right now just an indoor to store it in for now. I will make a trip by and check you out though as well.

Back to the packing :(

RaeRay
11-15-2012, 07:50 PM
I highly recommed Dockside Marine! I'm on my third MC (2)45's&(1)55 and I use them for all my needs. All the guys there are awesome, and always do there best to please there customers.

As far as storage you won't find anything nicer than Millstead storage off McCaled Rd. I'm on the south side of Lake Conroe, feel free to contact me with any Q's.
RaySmith224@Yahoo.com

Cmpdman
11-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Hello guys. This is Don McCain. I am in sales at dockside marine on lake Conroe. I wanted to take a minute to give a heads up on a few issues that y'all have had with our service department. I know that we certainly had a rough beginning as do many dealers who are growing very rapidly. Typically new dealers have a pretty large spike in sales right when they pick up the line, as we did when we were blessed with MC. What then occurs is a very strong influx of new boats to be serviced in a very short period of time. During that time we are also trying to train service personnel to take care of your boat to the best of their ability. This is a curve in which we have to try and keep current customers happy along with brand new customers all while learning a brand new line of products (some indmar, some Ilmor). That being said, I have been frustrated by this as well. I am happy to announce that we have made some significant investments in training, parts in stock, we have acquired quality veteran inboard techs, as well as a new team leader back there that is hammering down these long lead times on service tickets. I would be happy to take any of your calls if you have any questions or you can call the service dept direct at 936-447-6162. After all. We are your local Mastercraft dealers and we are dedicated to making service on the boat easier and as painless as possible. WE Want your business!! Please give us a shot. Thanks, Don 936-447-6161

Glad to hear it Don. You'll have my business.

kskonn
11-16-2012, 01:00 PM

Don nice job coming on the board and responding. I don't live in Houston but if I did I would come by just because you responded to the negative complaints. It amazes me how many companies never respond, 9 out of 10 times customers just want to know that someone is hearing their frustration and will to respond. Nice work, hope to stop by and meet you if I am in town.

BradleyV
11-16-2012, 10:31 PM
CobraRob,
Welcome to Texas. More importantly, welcome to The Woodlands! I live in Spring, just on the outskirts of The Woodlands. I think you will really like it here.

I just purchased my first Mastercraft (X2) from Don at Dockside this summer. Great guy. I know everyone has had their own personal experiences with dealerships, but mine was very good. Not only through the sell, but after delivery. He has always been quick to answer my questions or provide assistance. I have not needed to service my boat yet, but when I do I will be using the service department at Dockside. Again, people may have had a bad experience in the past, but it sure seems like they have their stuff together now.

As far as Darryl Moore, I think they sold out. There's a new name on the building. SMG I think? I'll ask my buddy tonight. He's a Malibu guy (the debates never end). I know his last 2 have come from Darryl Moore. Anyway, I wouldn't go to anywhere else but Dockside if you are local and in need of service on your MC. Sounds like you won't need this for a while, though.

As far as storage around Conroe, sorry I can't help on specific locations. I did a little research on this for a while before storing it at my a relatives. It seemed the prices ranged around 125-130/mo for enclosed.

Good luck with the move.

bv