PDA

View Full Version : I'm celebrating more taxes day

GoneBoatN
11-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Yet another bond added to my property taxes for K-12
Yet another bond added to my property taxes for community colleges
Yet more sales taxes, 1/4 percent state wide on every dollar I spend.

Yes, this makes a lot of sense with a continued economic downturn - why cut spending when you tax the people who still have jobs some more.

Actually I have no problem funding schools. The problem is that people are delusional when they think this actually results in more funding for the schools. It just gives our state and local politicians more reasons to raid the dollars that were already being collected for education.

Other measure that passed on my list of favorites:
Reduce some of the measures of the 3-strikes law. Yes, least we be too harsh on hardened criminals. What freaking BS. Eliminating it to applying to non-violent crimes = It's ok to repeatedly rob, steal, sell drugs, pimp, etc as long as you don't shoot someone while doing it. Again just to go to prove that the only people who have rights are lawyers (Sorry Eastie, not you) and criminals.

Next year when I enroll my kids in school and I get hit yet again with all the classroom donations I think I will write in "I gave at the elections".

My guess is that most politicians are in Starbucks enjoying a cup of coffee while I work...

mikeg205
11-07-2012, 05:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwzaxUF0k18 at 00:23 is where they say "california is the place you ought to be... :D

GoneBoatN
11-07-2012, 06:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwzaxUF0k18 at 00:23 is where they say "california is the place you ought to be... :D

LoL. However, there is a lot I like about California (Nor Cal really, the south is nice to visit but not a place that offers much for my tastes) but it all has to do with the outdoors. I backpack in the Sierras, Cascades, Trinities, North Coast. I have a backpacking trip planned for the end of the month at Pt Reyes National Seashore. I snow ski and snow board and the Tahoe area has some of the finest to offer. I boat and I have the choice of going to many lakes or the Delta. I scuba dive in the Monterey area. During the summer my prediction for weather is Sunny, warm, no rain - I'm always right. Summer being mid April through October. Winter I always pray for rain and snow. Sometimes we get a lot sometimes not so much.

Taxes suck, crowds suck, traffic suck, politics suck, liberals suck; but I got to make a living. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford to live in an area with good schools.

I work from home. I can pretty much choose to live anywhere I want as long as I'm relatively near an airport and somewhere out west (west of the Mississippi River counts). I'm often tempted to post a thread "help me find the best place to live" but I just keep putting if off. I actually found a place I really want to live. It is farther north in CA. It's about 10 acres providing a defensible perimeter and has a 5000 sqft shop where I can store the boat. It is not too far from the largest lake (reservoir) in CA with some of the most awesome flat water to be found. The downside is that there are no good jobs in the area so I would have to count on being able to find another job that I can work remotely which is easier said than done. I was joking around the other day when I told my wife I wanted a new X-Star. Her response was "we move out of here you can have one" - now that's incentive.

mikeg205
11-07-2012, 08:40 PM
great stuff...lol

Phntmski
11-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Was stationed at Ord in the 80s. Earlier this year the wife and I took a trip through Yosemite, over to Monterey then turned north through San Fran and the redwoods to weaverville where we stayed in a hotel built during the civil war that is furnished from that time.. Love it up there!

Phntmski
11-07-2012, 11:58 PM
...but could never afford to live there.

GoneBoatN
11-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Was stationed at Ord in the 80s. Earlier this year the wife and I took a trip through Yosemite, over to Monterey then turned north through San Fran and the redwoods to weaverville where we stayed in a hotel built during the civil war that is furnished from that time.. Love it up there!

Then you seen that there is not much left of Fort Ord.

I love Yosemite and tend to go there several times a year. However, I will never go to the valley again during tourist season (May-Sep). I've hiked, backpacked and snowshoed through quite a bit of Yosemite. Yosemite Frazil Ice is a pretty cool thing to see - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V9p4mFEYXc.

iplount
11-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Ugh don't get me started. Keep paying more and more and not much seems to change. At some point I guess it will make sense to quit my job as half my income gets taken anyway. Why should I work so hard. :). I am in CA and this bond and proposition crap is out of control. On the schools I have a huge issue this last prop basically funded their retirement account. Biggest funded of the prop was the ca retired teachers association. I don't have a nice fat pension plan but I guess it's ok I pay for someone else's.

VP46
11-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Someone please point out what seems obvious.... did America just make it harder?

I am not rich but I do consider my self wealthy in the most conventional of ways as I have three great kids, our health, and my wife is always telling me how big a ***** I am uh have or something like that.

... but please tell me, did my chances of jumping from one class to the upper crust just diminish and if so by how much?

----
Here's the link to a recent article that inspired this post.....referencing "America voted to tax the rich":

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-americans-voted-tax-hikes-rich-185912574--election.html

---

Phntmski
11-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Then you seen that there is not much left of Fort Ord.

I love Yosemite and tend to go there several times a year. However, I will never go to the valley again during tourist season (May-Sep). I've hiked, backpacked and snowshoed through quite a bit of Yosemite. Yosemite Frazil Ice is a pretty cool thing to see - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V9p4mFEYXc.

We spent a couple hours at Ord and were very disappointed to see how it is basically falling down. It seemed like such a strong, vital place when I was there.
Never have seen Frazil Ice but it's on our list. That video is awesome!
And I hope things get better for hard working Californians. Maybe we as a nation will remove our heads from our collective a** and "right the ship" as it were.
God Bless America!

GoneBoatN
11-11-2012, 06:18 PM
We spent a couple hours at Ord and were very disappointed to see how it is basically falling down. It seemed like such a strong, vital place when I was there.
Never have seen Frazil Ice but it's on our list. That video is awesome!
And I hope things get better for hard working Californians. Maybe we as a nation will remove our heads from our collective a** and "right the ship" as it were.
God Bless America!

+1 on that

A lot of times good things come from competition. More power to the states, less Fed Gov at all places possible. Then people have a choice by deciding which state they prefer to live on or choose to leave.

For all my bxtching and griping, I'm still choosing to live where I'm at. I'd just would like to see some more real ROI on my tax dollars. Too many times I see wasteful spending. Case in point: our city has been going around and revising the handicap sections of the sidewalks at the cross walks. They are removing where there were groves placed in the cement and replacing with these yellow squares that have raised circles. Somehow it seems to me to make little difference. Somewhere, somehow this must make sense to someone. Most likely we spent $1m's on some study to determine the advantage of raised circles over groves.

I don't think of Ca as the exception, just a really good example of tax dollars misused.